Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:45 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Looking forward the draft night video. The Stocker video was great, this will be magnificent viewing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I'm a huge fan of SOS and what he has achieved but last night further reinforced what I thought last year. It's a one man show and the rest of the people sitting at the table are spectators.
I believe SOS does the negotiation, he makes the calls on the players and he does the selecting. I don't think that's healthy situation for the club and I suspect that's the angst between SOS and Liddle.

I love his ability to gain better value for picks but I'm still not sold on his player choices. I have battles with Keogh over SOS but he is correct about our ability to choose players with later picks and decisions like Philp baffle me a bit.
Yes he knuckled down and had some good performances after missing selection for the championships but it's easier getting BOG's in the NAB league when the best players are not there. I hope I'm wrong but it's too much of a speculator to take him first round IMHO.

He has set us up well and I wish him luck but I'm happy enough to see what the other people in the football department are capable of.
I know people are speculating about Kinnear Beatson but Simon Dalrymple is the person I'd be chasing.

I think you are speculating.

Speculating in a recruiting thread. Who would have thought. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hope SOS picks an ex-GWS player so the media can do some work and write a compelling article.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:02 pm 
Bruce Comben

The reason SOS will be moved on is because when Cain Liddle sacked Bolton, he made it clear to the board that other must be made accountable and not Only Bolton for the poor performances and bad dubious decisions made. That's why SOS will be moved on. There are some at the club who don't think SOS's greatest strength is spotting talent. Brendan Bolton made it pretty clear that he was a little a concerned with 'some' of the talent SOS brought it brought in. It became a bit of a blame game between the 2 and a decision was made that both heads must roll.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:04 am 
Stephen Kernahan

blues_clues wrote:
The reason SOS will be moved on is because when Cain Liddle sacked Bolton, he made it clear to the board that other must be made accountable and not Only Bolton for the poor performances and bad dubious decisions made. That's why SOS will be moved on. There are some at the club who don't think SOS's greatest strength is spotting talent. Brendan Bolton made it pretty clear that he was a little a concerned with 'some' of the talent SOS brought it brought in. It became a bit of a blame game between the 2 and a decision was made that both heads must roll.

SOS has had his detractors, but I doubt very much that the board ever agreed to 'move SOS on' in early June. And not at the behest of Cain Liddle. One does not simply move Stephen Silvagni on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:42 am 
John Nicholls

So to summarise, we got:

- Martin for free
- Kemp (would have been top 10, or even 5, if he wasn't injured), Philp (wanted by a team in Richmond who's nailed a lot of picks in recent years), and Stocker (who we rated very highly) for a single first round 2018 pick stretched across 2 years
- Pittonet (an upgrade on Phillips, for picks 54 and 63 and a return of pick 61)

Papley... we simply didn't want to over pay.

Can't see how we could have done much better. Now it's over to Russell and the coaches to develop and mould the group. Sh*tloads of talent on deck now. Compare the list today with when SOS took over.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:30 am 
Ken Hunter

..agreed, there's a gap between list building and onfield performance.. ....development of players is now where the focus needs to land.. ...i don't think anyone can deny there's plenty of talent on the list..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:32 am 
Banned

I think this is a very good haul.

Well done recruitment team, list is looking younger and more exciting.

Not all draftees are going to make and replacing Murph, Ed and Betts in next few years is going to prove interesting.

Anticipate Stocker will play full season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

blues_clues wrote:

So how does liddle explain sos's dubious decisions once teague took over, has teague voiced his concerns to liddle the talent scout or or had he got a bit more confidence in the group, BTW, nearly every commentator that compared groups when the coaching merry go round started named the blues as the ones that they would love to coach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

So the logic seems to be that we haven’t had a decent recruiter in the modern era and then we got one and he rebuilt the list in 4 years to one that most wannabe coaches drool over but we should get rid of him because he didn’t nail pick 273 in draft x?

Every recruiter has misses all over the place.

We finally have one who understands how to extract maximum value out of the bulk of his resources and we want to try someone else who may or may not work?

And yet Stephen Wells has been at Geelong for a couple of decades and is widely regarded as a genius despite being handed three once in a lifetime father son selections and @#$%&! up endless early picks.

Every recruiter has misses. It’s the overall picture over time that matters. Nothing else.

This is why my club is eternally stupid.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:36 pm 
Rod Ashman

GWS wrote:
So the logic seems to be that we haven’t had a decent recruiter in the modern era and then we got one and he rebuilt the list in 4 years to one that most wannabe coaches drool over but we should get rid of him because he didn’t nail pick 273 in draft x?

We finally have one who understands how to extract maximum value out of the bulk of his resources and we want to try someone else who may or may not work?

And yet Stephen Wells has been at Geelong for a couple of decades and is widely regarded as a genius despite being handed three once in a lifetime father son selections and @#$%&! up endless early picks.

Every recruiter has misses. It’s the overall picture over time that matters. Nothing else.

yeah it's [REDACTED]

best list we've had in decades but experts and supporters alike still manage to pick holes in what sos has done

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:50 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

robertbb wrote:
So to summarise, we got:

- Martin for free
- Kemp (would have been top 10, or even 5, if he wasn't injured), Philp (wanted by a team in Richmond who's nailed a lot of picks in recent years), and Stocker (who we rated very highly) for a single first round 2018 pick stretched across 2 years
- Pittonet (an upgrade on Phillips, for picks 54 and 63 and a return of pick 61)

Papley... we simply didn't want to over pay.

Can't see how we could have done much better. Now it's over to Russell and the coaches to develop and mould the group. Sh*tloads of talent on deck now. Compare the list today with when SOS took over.

Amen :clap:

This is a serious list now. We'll add a big fish next year as we spend the last of our stockpile, and it's off to the races :razz:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GWS wrote:

I'd be keeping SOS and scouring the country for a gun Administrator.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:22 pm 
Robert Walls

So the SOS thing’s actually official or are we going with the media’s vibe of the thing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GWS wrote:

:clap: this

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:50 am 
Craig Bradley

GWS wrote:

Where is this laundry list of Wells’ dud early picks?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:18 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Crusader wrote:
GWS wrote:

Where is this laundry list of Wells’ dud early picks?

1st round only:

David Spriggs
Ezra Bray
Kane Tenace
Mitch Brown
Billie Smedts
Jackson Thurlow
Darcy Lang

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:40 am 
Rod Ashman

Who hired Bolton?
Was that Stephen Silvagni’s fault as well?

How many premiership coaches are there over last 50 years who have not played at AFL level?
I think it is zero... unless I am mistaken.

So that is quite a gamble betting on going against 50 years plus of evidence. And the clowns stuck with Bolton after the evidence of his coaching was in.

“But in the NFL Bellichick has led the Patriots to blah, blah, blah..,”

Australian football is the toughest, most physically challenging football code in the world. In this game, you want someone who has been in the trenches too. NFL is far more a tacticians game... so using the Bellichick argument doesn’t wash.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:43 am 
Ken Hands

GWS wrote:

Brilliant, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:55 am 
Rod Ashman

“I think leadership is around people and process”... said Bolton. Too much gobbledygook.. whenever I heard Bolton speak it seemed to be in a cliche wrapped around cliche. I never got inspired by listening to him. Keep it simple and direct.

Before they sack Silvagni how about they sack ppl behind hiring Bolton... and yes I mean everyone. Trig has gone-what about the rest?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next