Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:
blues_clues wrote:
GWS had some interest in Jack Silvagni.......

I lost it when he started twerking...

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Well that didn’t help...

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:
a bit like....drawn any longer that bow would catch on the rings of Saturn.

Clearly Liddle feels the same way about our past List Manager
and that some Carlton people thought SOS could do no wrong

Rather than sort it out he cracked the shits and pissed off

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Surely if they are looking to replace SOS then Keogh would be their number 1 target

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sos’s Legacy will be there for all to see in 3 years
Based on Mc Govern, Setterfields output is
Plus others
The output of Dow and others
His inability to recruit talent with late picks and rookie picks
is without question
Some posters say he is or was great
That’s the favoured son can’t do no wrong syndrome

It’s a bit like a loyal royalist saying that Prince Andrew isn’t a peddy

So everyone else has to wait 3 years to judge SOS's legacy, however you are free to call it now :confused:

His legacy will play out over the next few years
Of course if we go crap there is always Teague to blame

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:41 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Surely if they are looking to replace SOS then Keogh would be their number 1 target

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sos’s Legacy will be there for all to see in 3 years
Based on Mc Govern, Setterfields output is
Plus others
The output of Dow and others
His inability to recruit talent with late picks and rookie picks
is without question
Some posters say he is or was great
That’s the favoured son can’t do no wrong syndrome

It’s a bit like a loyal royalist saying that Prince Andrew isn’t a peddy

So everyone else has to wait 3 years to judge SOS's legacy, however you are free to call it now :confused:

His legacy will play out over the next few years
Of course if we go crap there is always Teague to blame

So does that mean that you will hold off on your assessment until then?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:04 am 
Geoff Southby

No I won’t if McAdam plays regular senior footy for the Crows whilst Mc Govern provides similar output
to 2019 not to mention some of the players we could I have got with pick 26 and 28 growing into good midfielders at other clubs
Surely if that does happen you would acknowledge that SOS [REDACTED] up there big time
I have moved on from Fasolo, O ‘ Shea and Mullett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:56 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
No I won’t if McAdam plays regular senior footy for the Crows whilst Mc Govern provides similar output
to 2019 not to mention some of the players we could I have got with pick 26 and 28 growing into good midfielders at other clubs
Surely if that does happen you would acknowledge that SOS [REDACTED] up there big time

So the rest of us have to hear you bang on about this trade and that, whilst you acknowledge that SOS's list management is still 3 years too early judge? :confused:

Lachlan Ash better be pretty awesome to be worth more than Stoker, Kemp and Philp.

See I can look at a single trade and make a statement about it as well, better to look at the whole list rebuild and judge on the overall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:

I thought I just read the "Boring Carlton Stories" thread.
Is there a double up?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:

If any post belongs in the "Boring Carlton Stories" thread, surely this is it?.
Even if only for repetitions sake.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

Maybe we start a new thread.
Supporters who don’t look at the footy world in a broader manner and the club can do no wrong despite all the upheavals and lack off on field success thread

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

"Look at the footy world in a broader manner" :lol:
Surprisingly, most of us have been critical of the club when we believe it deserves a whack. We just don't regurgitate the same shit 100 times.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:53 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
"Look at the footy world in a broader manner" :lol:
Surprisingly, most of us have been critical of the club when we believe it deserves a whack. We just don't regurgitate the same shit 100 times.

Nothing wrong in being negatively repetitive when you haven’t finished top 4 in 20 years BV
Not to mention the last 5 coaches sacked before their contracts being finished
SOSs exit was another example of the clubs instability off the field which does effect the teams performance on it.
For what it’s worth with a good run with injuries we can make the eight next season
Thing is mate I have been negatively repetitive for good reason
I’m a firm believer that blood isn’t thicker than water
It’s clear that Liddle Lloyd and Agresta arnt “Carlton people “ if you know what I mean and Silvangi’s departure might be the start of a real culture change off the field for the club something the club has needed for 20 years
I’m actually a real positive guy if you met me as some posters did a long time ago at Princes Park
Happy New Year

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:

So the rest of us have to hear you bang on about this trade and that, whilst you acknowledge that SOS's list management is still 3 years too early judge? :confused:

Lachlan Ash better be pretty awesome to be worth more than Stoker, Kemp and Philp.

See I can look at a single trade and make a statement about it as well, better to look at the whole list rebuild and judge on the overall

What most posters fail to acknowledge when I “ bang” on about the Mc Govern trade is two things
1 how good was he in his six odd years at the Crows. He overall was average . His efforts in 2019 shouldn’t surprise nobody
2 He is not what we needed at the time .we still need more mids

The fact we traded basically 3 players for him and signed him for 5 years is mystifying to me

The guy is 25. Hopefully he is a late maturer.
And speaking of banging on about things the number of posters who offer the busted back as an excuse is crap
The fact he was 5 kg over weight is a joke when it comes to a professional athlete in their mid 20 s

Hopefully he gets it right in 2020
He definitely needs to improve his tank
He blows a gasket after one marking effort

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:42 am 
John James

McGovern did miss 10 of the last 14 games in 2018 with an ankle injury and had surgery on both ankles in September 2018 and only got about 3 weeks of training in before his back injury. Some people seem to have conveniently forgotten about that.

He did average 15 touches, 7 marks and 2 goals a game in the 5 week period prior to getting injured in Round 8. He then spent the best part of the next 8 months injured/recovering from surgeries.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:38 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:

What most posters fail to acknowledge when I “ bang” on about the Mc Govern trade is two things
1 how good was he in his six odd years at the Crows. He overall was average . His efforts in 2019 shouldn’t surprise nobody
2 He is not what we needed at the time .we still need more mids

The fact we traded basically 3 players for him and signed him for 5 years is mystifying to me

The guy is 25. Hopefully he is a late maturer.
And speaking of banging on about things the number of posters who offer the busted back as an excuse is crap
The fact he was 5 kg over weight is a joke when it comes to a professional athlete in their mid 20 s

Hopefully he gets it right in 2020
He definitely needs to improve his tank
He blows a gasket after one marking effort

Do you read the post before replying?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

Yes
Did you read mine?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

Brently8 wrote:
McGovern did miss 10 of the last 14 games in 2018 with an ankle injury and had surgery on both ankles in September 2018 and only got about 3 weeks of training in before his back injury. Some people seem to have conveniently forgotten about that.

He did average 15 touches, 7 marks and 2 goals a game in the 5 week period prior to getting injured in Round 8. He then spent the best part of the next 8 months injured/recovering from surgeries.

Conveniently forgotten? Well, I've been trying to forget about it!

Have to say I'm with Keogh on this. We needed more mids, we sign up a forward who had suffered an injury plagued 2018 and who needed surgery in the off season. I think "Brackets" has the potential to be a good player for us, but another marking forward wasn't what we were crying out for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:34 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Glass half empty, you lot.

Last night I watched the Collingwood game. In the team were Stocker (2 games), Dow (<20), McKay (<20), Fisher (<20), Setterfield (<20), Walsh (7), David Cuningham (<30), Tom Williamson (<20), Michael Gibbons (7)

Collingwood had pretty well their best team on the park less Cox.

We stayed with them for 95 minutes. A couple of silly mistakes coupled with a couple of trick shots on their part at the end cost us goals.

We were without Jones and Newman in the back line. Marchbank and Plowman did really well against a non-conventional forward line.

Jason Dunstall made the point early in the game that he knew Collingwood would play 4 quarters but he didn't know if we would or could.

The potential in that team started to get realised later in the season when things clicked and the belief rose. Despite being without several key players, these same kids and the depth players like Kennedy, O'Brien, Lang, Newman when he got back, started to win games. The list for next year is better with Doc, Charlie (who did play in the Collingwood game), Betts and hopefully Martin realising his potential plus we have added depth with Newnes.

If Teague can get them off to a half decent start to the season and they go in believing they can win, they shoud jump up to 10-12 on the ladder with an outside chance of finishing 8-9. A lot depends on injury and as I said, those early wins.

Most of the names I have mentioned came to us under SOS's tenure. Yes, there have been misses as well as hits. he wasn't to know illiamson would miss two seasons due to a back injury or that Cunningham would get so many niggles.

Recruiting from the draft is not an exact science. Some recruiters seem to get is better than others. Others like Hawthorn just poach players from other clubs. Yet others have their players on a platter from their zones.

One of the big bitches about SOS revolves around Jack and Ben. We all know he stood away from those decisions. Jack was in our best in the Collingwood game FWIW. He is still developing as a player and looks set to make it without being a star. Ben is obviously still not playing. From the perspective of the club and Liddle's comments about having a list manager who was unable to tale part in any discussion about his kids, I see where they are coming from and perhaps they are right. All the chat here about politics and best mates, people being or not being 'Carlton People' is just a smokescreen.

In the next three years we will see the legacy of SOS unfold. The team that plays finals or not will be made up of his selections with a few either side of his time. That's when he will be judged, It's far too early yet based on a few misses. He inherited a sow's ear. Some of you want a silk purse overnight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:24 pm 
Robert Walls

Glad I took a break for a little, because there is so much nonsense in this thread.

Why would anyone care where players are picked or how they are traded in, in a premiership team? If they were all late picks, all early picks or a combination. There is absolutely no recipe for success when it comes to this and it just does not matter. The only thing that matters is you get the players you need and then keep them injury free. The crying over rookie picks and DFA's is a waste of time if there is a core of 30 quality players on the list in any case and they are ready to play each week and capable of winning a premiership.

The current list is shaping that way.

He did a bloody good job with the way our list was and salary cap. He wasn't and isn't a sacred cow and I don't feel bad that he has gone, but the grave dancing is just weird, not because he was a club legend, just because apparently he should be judged on Mullet, O'Shea, Shaw etc. and that not nailing a part of the draft that is exceptionally difficult is somehow failing.

I have full confidence that what has been assembled during his tenure will in three years time will prove he got it right when it mattered. I also think some will still bang on about recruiting Rhys Palmer anyway or put down the success to others if they are proven wrong.

The second half of the year started to show what we can do, I'm expecting big things next year and beyond.

Go Blues.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Glass half empty, you lot.

Last night I watched the Collingwood game. In the team were Stocker (2 games), Dow (<20), McKay (<20), Fisher (<20), Setterfield (<20), Walsh (7), David Cuningham (<30), Tom Williamson (<20), Michael Gibbons (7)

Collingwood had pretty well their best team on the park less Cox.

We stayed with them for 95 minutes. A couple of silly mistakes coupled with a couple of trick shots on their part at the end cost us goals.

We were without Jones and Newman in the back line. Marchbank and Plowman did really well against a non-conventional forward line.

Jason Dunstall made the point early in the game that he knew Collingwood would play 4 quarters but he didn't know if we would or could.

The potential in that team started to get realised later in the season when things clicked and the belief rose. Despite being without several key players, these same kids and the depth players like Kennedy, O'Brien, Lang, Newman when he got back, started to win games. The list for next year is better with Doc, Charlie (who did play in the Collingwood game), Betts and hopefully Martin realising his potential plus we have added depth with Newnes.

If Teague can get them off to a half decent start to the season and they go in believing they can win, they shoud jump up to 10-12 on the ladder with an outside chance of finishing 8-9. A lot depends on injury and as I said, those early wins.

Most of the names I have mentioned came to us under SOS's tenure. Yes, there have been misses as well as hits. he wasn't to know illiamson would miss two seasons due to a back injury or that Cunningham would get so many niggles.

Recruiting from the draft is not an exact science. Some recruiters seem to get is better than others. Others like Hawthorn just poach players from other clubs. Yet others have their players on a platter from their zones.

One of the big bitches about SOS revolves around Jack and Ben. We all know he stood away from those decisions. Jack was in our best in the Collingwood game FWIW. He is still developing as a player and looks set to make it without being a star. Ben is obviously still not playing. From the perspective of the club and Liddle's comments about having a list manager who was unable to tale part in any discussion about his kids, I see where they are coming from and perhaps they are right. All the chat here about politics and best mates, people being or not being 'Carlton People' is just a smokescreen.

In the next three years we will see the legacy of SOS unfold. The team that plays finals or not will be made up of his selections with a few either side of his time. That's when he will be judged, It's far too early yet based on a few misses. He inherited a sow's ear. Some of you want a silk purse overnight.

Cripps was Superman against the Pies

Apart from Walsh, the wins in the 2nd half of the year were built on the veterans not the kids...Dow and Fisher made zero contributions, and SPS was also moved out of the middle to the backline...

After 5 trade and draft periods, if Cripps gets hurt our midfield will be led by Murphy (33) and Curnow (30)... all three were there before SOS returned to Carlton... the only young midfielder Teague trusted last year was Walsh

There are gaps everywhere on the list... our best (and only) runner out of the back half goes to ground too easily... which is understandable, he’s 35

I can guarantee you SOS is no longer at Carlton because the club believed he did a poor job (and they are correct), it has nothing to do with his boys...

As great a player as he was, who gives a flower about his legacy as a list manager... the club acted based on his performance... I would have thought people would be more interested in the success of the Carlton Football Club than being worried about SOS’s reputation as a list manager

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next