Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

jezzarules wrote:
Rexy wrote:
I'm surprised people can't see the problem with the list manager having two (soon to be three) sons on the list.

Pending bids by Freo or GWS

:lol: :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

You all realise that our CEO who is behind the push to get SOS out is really a tiggies stooge.

'73, never forget.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Who hired Bolton?
Was that Stephen Silvagni’s fault as well?

How many premiership coaches are there over last 50 years who have not played at AFL level?
I think it is zero... unless I am mistaken.

So that is quite a gamble betting on going against 50 years plus of evidence. And the clowns stuck with Bolton after the evidence of his coaching was in.

“But in the NFL Bellichick has led the Patriots to blah, blah, blah..,”

Australian football is the toughest, most physically challenging football code in the world. In this game, you want someone who has been in the trenches too. NFL is far more a tacticians game... so using the Bellichick argument doesn’t wash.

Bolton? Isn't this a thread about Silvagni?
FWIW, I thought Bolton was the perfect choicest the right time.
We needed someone who could hold the club together while we totally dismantled and rebuilt the list. Bolton did that.
He also put game time into the kids that will pay off in years to come.

As for playing coaches that haven't played AFL, that's a rubbish argument IMO. The record exists because very few have been given the opportunity. For every coach who hasn't succeeded with out playing AFL, I'd suggest there's another 5 unsuccessful coaches who have played AFL.
Warwick Capper played 100+ games, would that make him a better coach than Bolton? Move on, Bolton did what was required and he's gone. The foundations have been set and the future should be the focus.

The CEO that we presently have stated that if Bolton goes - he also wants Silvagni to go...that is why it is linked.

Where did he say that?

Anyone? :?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:58 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue vain has asked where is the evidence?
Liddle doesn’t say “we’re sacking Silvagni here” what political leader would be so blatant? but this is just one source of many where the meeting is referred to where they want Silvagni to basically be the scapegoat for them hiring the teacher from Tasmania.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler ... 317829716d

By sacking Silvagni one can prove one can make “the hard decisions” ... for the good of the club .. obviously ... very measured decision based on Bolton’s coaching we have no other option. win, win.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:21 am 
Stephen Kernahan

This the quote from Liddle
Quote:
“We’re reviewing all parts of the football club,” Liddle said in June.

“The reality is we’ve won four games in our last 40 (43), and our members expect that we’re going to review every element of our football club, and that’s what we’ve been doing and what we’re going to continue to do.”

I'd expect nothing less. The rest of the article is dribble from Caroline Wilson and Tom Wannabe Morris.

You said the CEO stated if Bolton goes, he wants Silvagni to go. I haven't read anything that remotely suggests that other than unsubstantiated journo waffle.
All I'm asking for is a reference or a link that Liddle even hints at it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:27 am 
Robert Walls

I’m reasonably confident that’s all that’s come out of the club. Then a bunch of journos have pieced together some bullshit narrative that says SOS is next in line.

My guess is SOS is the only ‘name’ they know at the club so chose him as next in the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:22 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
This the quote from Liddle
Quote:
“We’re reviewing all parts of the football club,” Liddle said in June.

“The reality is we’ve won four games in our last 40 (43), and our members expect that we’re going to review every element of our football club, and that’s what we’ve been doing and what we’re going to continue to do.”

I'd expect nothing less. The rest of the article is dribble from Caroline Wilson and Tom Wannabe Morris.

You said the CEO stated if Bolton goes, he wants Silvagni to go. I haven't read anything that remotely suggests that other than unsubstantiated journo waffle.
All I'm asking for is a reference or a link that Liddle even hints at it.

Fair enough.
I can see the logic of your argument.

For me, Football is an emotional game and I must admit I might have got a tad teary when I watched this video. The bit in this footage -colour footage with the massive crowd in the background from early 1960s when Serge was playing- look at the size of that crowd! That was the bit that got me. This is a thing that crosses generations.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0J3DNrA-FY0

Anyway, the point is if they are going to sack a Silvagni you better have a very good reason for it. You will need plenty of evidence.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Beautifully said tap ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:58 am 
Stephen Silvagni

GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:
I'm surprised people can't see the problem with the list manager having two (soon to be three) sons on the list.

I don’t care how many sons on the list he has if the list keeps improving at the rate it has been over the last few years.

Just imagine the rate of improvement when we poach Dodoro to replace him !

:yikes:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
GWS wrote:
Rexy wrote:

I don’t care how many sons on the list he has if the list keeps improving at the rate it has been over the last few years.

Just imagine the rate of improvement when we poach Dodoro to replace him !

:yikes:

That's it. If Smith and Warner can be banned for 12 months, so can Rexy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SOS cleaned out his office on Friday.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

GWS wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
Crusader wrote:
GWS wrote:
So the logic seems to be that we haven’t had a decent recruiter in the modern era and then we got one and he rebuilt the list in 4 years to one that most wannabe coaches drool over but we should get rid of him because he didn’t nail pick 273 in draft x?

Every recruiter has misses all over the place.

We finally have one who understands how to extract maximum value out of the bulk of his resources and we want to try someone else who may or may not work?

And yet Stephen Wells has been at Geelong for a couple of decades and is widely regarded as a genius despite being handed three once in a lifetime father son selections and @#$%&! up endless early picks.

Every recruiter has misses. It’s the overall picture over time that matters. Nothing else.

This is why my club is eternally stupid.

Where is this laundry list of Wells’ dud early picks?

1st round only:

David Spriggs
Ezra Bray
Kane Tenace
Mitch Brown
Billie Smedts
Jackson Thurlow
Darcy Lang

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Saddest thing about that list is that our recruiting was so bad that two of them ended up with us after they’d bombed out at the Cats.

Who was our list manager when Smedts and Lang ended up with us?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

ColourMan wrote:
GWS wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
Crusader wrote:
GWS wrote:
So the logic seems to be that we haven’t had a decent recruiter in the modern era and then we got one and he rebuilt the list in 4 years to one that most wannabe coaches drool over but we should get rid of him because he didn’t nail pick 273 in draft x?

Every recruiter has misses all over the place.

We finally have one who understands how to extract maximum value out of the bulk of his resources and we want to try someone else who may or may not work?

And yet Stephen Wells has been at Geelong for a couple of decades and is widely regarded as a genius despite being handed three once in a lifetime father son selections and @#$%&! up endless early picks.

Every recruiter has misses. It’s the overall picture over time that matters. Nothing else.

This is why my club is eternally stupid.

Where is this laundry list of Wells’ dud early picks?

1st round only:

David Spriggs
Ezra Bray
Kane Tenace
Mitch Brown
Billie Smedts
Jackson Thurlow
Darcy Lang

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Saddest thing about that list is that our recruiting was so bad that two of them ended up with us after they’d bombed out at the Cats.

Who was our list manager when Smedts and Lang ended up with us?

True.

Doesn’t change the overall improvement though.

I honestly don’t give a @#$%&! about individual trees.

Far more impressed with a great forest.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

No argument about the improvement, however that improvement is nowhere near where it should be... the great forest has far too many bare patches.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:59 pm 
Bert Deacon

AGRO wrote:
SOS cleaned out his office on Friday.

:wink:

That's a shame! Would have preferred that they worked with SOS to improve late/rookie picks than moving him on :screwy:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

I thought it just meant the club can't afford to pay cleaners

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

ColourMan wrote:
No argument about the improvement, however that improvement is nowhere near where it should be... the great forest has far too many bare patches.

Which list manager/recruiters do you think have a better record over the last four years?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

GWS wrote:
ColourMan wrote:

Which list manager/recruiters do you think have a better record over the last four years?

For starters, he’s been in charge for five years not four years... that’s five trade trade periods, five drafts... there won’t be too many clubs, if any, that had the selections that we had at the pointy end of the draft... and I doubt there’s any club that has done worse than us at the back end of the draft (including the rookie draft).

We’ve found a way to do less with more, while other clubs have done more with less...

When you look at what he’s done in detail (as well as what he hasn’t done), then it’s obvious why he’s being moved on... most here aren’t interested or care about the detail.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:26 pm 
Robert Walls

ColourMan wrote:
GWS wrote:
ColourMan wrote:

For starters, he’s been in charge for five years not four years... that’s five trade trade periods, five drafts... there won’t be too many clubs, if any, that had the selections that we had at the pointy end of the draft... and I doubt there’s any club that has done worse than us at the back end of the draft (including the rookie draft).

We’ve found a way to do less with more, while other clubs have done more with less...

When you look at what he’s done in detail (as well as what he hasn’t done), then it’s obvious why he’s being moved on... most here aren’t interested or care about the detail.

Absolute rubbish from any point of view. The only problem has been the rookie draft. No data to support this view yet at all.

If Gibbons comes good then that even takes care of the Rookies...

But keep spinning that tale.

Pinch of salt with all these posts. They’re not exactly a exactly full of reasoning or detail, just broad strokes of opinion masked as knowledge.

We had the worst list since Fitzroy... but we should have won a premiership already I guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 30  Next