Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

24 hours later and I am pretty disappointed with the club.
When SOS was appointed it was well known that he had 3 sons coming through the system likely to be drafted, Something must have happened for the club to act and not renew his contract. If it wasn't a problem then why is it now? The conflict of interest was always going to be an issue.
This is so typical of Carlton. Just when it looks like we have finally turned the corner something like this happens.
We are once again the laughing stock of the competition.
I feel for Jack and Ben, and only time will tell how much this will impact on their futures.
A dis-jointed club will never be successful, when will we ever learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 pm 
Bob Chitty

When you look holistically at what Liddle has done to the footy dept since he’s arrived, he’s basically changed all key personnel in 24 months. Out McKay, in Lloyd for head of the footy dept. Out Joel Hocking, in Russell for head of conditioning / high performance. Out Bolts, in Teague as senior coach. Not many would question the first three moves: they are all big upgrades and were much needed. The toughest move is to get rid of SOS because unlike those others he’s (in many of our views) performed his role well and obviously he’s much loved for his playing career. I don’t buy into the conflict rationale for SOS’s departure. Yes, there’s a conflict but there has been for some time and it wasn’t acted upon so why now? I hope this move is genuinely being made for the benefit of the club and not just so Liddle can put in place someone he can control. Only time will tell. I suspect the rationale won’t really matter if we start winning but it may if things don’t go to plan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:
The main problem I have is with the leaking of an ‘acrimonious’ split within the club.
Every club has these sorts of disagreements.
It is the loose lips which sinks ships.
If not for that, the conflict story might have made sense. But we all know it is up there with the ‘Charlie slipped on a tile’ explanation.

I think SOS has done an amazing job and will miss him at the draft table next year.
I am sure we will find someone very good to replace him.

The biggest job now rests with Teague, with a pre-season under his belt, no excuses but heaps of expectation.

And if JSOS maintains his trajectory and form, I am sure he will stay. If not, I am sure he won’t. I have no problem with him liking that tweet - it’s his dad FFS and it’s good that he has some back bone. And I’m sure Liddle’s skin is thick enough to cope with a son mildly backing his dad on social media.

I’m excited about what our team can do in the coming year and years and any success we have will rightly be in large part attributed to SOS.

And I also think Liddle appears to be doing a fine job and will also share in the accolades. And probably Bolton to a lesser degree as well. Not so much Malthouse....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:clap: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Arnhem blues wrote:
No inside knowledge but thought SOS was terrific. Finally find it really hard to pick a best 22 - too many players I want to fit in. Most of the recruiting 'misses' were unsurprising - either part of a bigger package or getting some mature bodies in to help the youth in the short term.
I also enjoyed that for a while there (on draft night) we were the most innovative club and lead the way... Been a while since I felt that and enjoyed the feeling.
Don't get the departure rationale but aware that I don't know any behind the scenes stuff.
Next person better be good.....

I really like this post.

I barrack for the Carlton Football Team ... and SOS made me feel good about my team.

Next person better be as good ... at the very least, good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Jack's replying to tweets about it all now. Not smart.

Doesn’t matter. Either way the kid will be at a new club soon enough. Totally flowering disgusting.

That's a BS statement Surrey.

He is not going anywhere as far as anyone knows.

Why would he want to stay at a club where his father was mistreated?

I think this circus is typical Carlton. If any other administrator had a son on the list no one would say a word in fact no one would care.

Liddle making the tough decision...oh yeah really.. you big tough guy you. Tough decision need to be made if KPIs have not been met.. did SOS reach them or are you a Gale plant.

Now get out of my footy club.

It won’t be Jacks or Bens or Toms decision to leave. They bleed Navy Blue.

That's better. Like us, Bleed Navy Blue ... coz they are players ... for SOS its business, not sport. He's proven that since he retired.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:20 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
This fiasco yet again brings up the point that the board needs replacing
That cannot happen with the current rules in place let alone an alternative collective that can run the joint so that this sort of instability doesn’t continue to happen
It’s called dictatorship.
That’s why I ain’t a member.
I have no say on what happens at the joint.
That ain’t right.
That ain’t democracy on a footy scale.
The hierarchy just want your dosh and then tell ya to come with an united us.
Whilst I wasn’t a big wrap om SOS no way should the CEO go behind his back when it comes to recruiting and list management.
A good board would of handled the situation so much better

If there ever comes a time we have a change of board I would also have half men half women
I reckon Erin Phillips would be one person I would love to have at our club.
One switched on women.
As I have said numerous times
The fish rots from the head

spot on Keogh, well said

but become a member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 am 
Geoff Southby

Personally I think SOS has been good for the club during our rebuild. He has engineered good picks for us and addressed most needs for the betterment of the list as a whole (mature A-grade mids is my only issue). He has also understood the need to have mature players around the kids, better or worse than we already had (that will be subjected to individual opinion). The fact is the list needed the turnover of matures we had and to the scale we had or the only other option was to have all kids, which was not an option for the financial stability of the club. So if you agreed or disagreed on his mature recruiting selections, we still needed to take a hit during the process. Overall I think he has been good for the club and I am disappointed to see him go.

There needs to be processes and hierarchy in a club, as any business and if they are not being adhered to or someone has too much weight, then change is needed for the future development of the organisation. However, if you believe the ITK's and the reason for him going I think there is a massive issue if marketing and financial gain can control operations and the natural growth of the club. And the obvious reason is if these marketing stunts don't produce on-field results, we will then be going backwards, again.

But my biggest problem here is while the premise of SOS's departure is due to a conflict of interest, they have spun his tenure length as a form of club stability. Which in a sense is good if we all know nothing else. But when you get ITK's on her posting the clubs dirty laundry so the media scum can jump on read them then make BS articles driven by assumption and click bait headlines, it makes the club look as dysfunctional as ever. If the marketing department want to drive memberships then they better have a good PR department to stop this nonsense and some people in the know need to be sanctioned or removed from the inner circle for propelling this.

As I have said before the draft, the old Carlton is rearing it's ugly head again and the board need to realise this and start making positive changes to the way we do things. i.e. sacking coaches mid season (needed or not), this BS with SOS and putting memberships sales and profits over the long term stability of the club. Especially in the public eye.

So if Liddle is overstepping his mark then he should go too. Because as supporters how can we expect on-field unity if the off-field team can't even get their s@#t together.

Last edited by Sidefx on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

When SOS took on the List Manager's role there was always going to be a conflict of interest when it came to the potential selection of his 3 sons: Jack, Ben & Tom.

When their names were up for grabs in the draft, SOS stood aside and left that to others to decide to avoid the issue.

5 years later and the discussion that takes place with regards to SOS' 2 sons on the list is much more different to selecting them. There needs to be robust, open discussion about them on the list, to retain, or trade or delist, as with every player. There lies the conflict.

eg there will be discussions whether to keep player A or Jack to play a similar role. This is the job of the List Manager. He can't just step outside the room when disussions take place about his son, because there's other players involved in the discussion.

List has been stripped back and rebuilt, like never before.
SOS has done his job.

Next draft the aim is again ready made players through Trading our 2020 and 2021 first and 2nd round picks, or FA. There is a 'live' list of targets in contract and out of contract whether SOS remains or not, this list will continue to exist and targeted.

SOS been offered a different role with the club which he has declined.

Time to move Forward. Yes, Forward. Just hope SOS doesn't become List Manager with another club and disrails our opportunity with some of our targets next year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:17 pm 
John James

bondiblue wrote:
When SOS took on the List Manager's role there was always going to be a conflict of interest when it came to the potential selection of his 3 sons: Jack, Ben & Tom.

When their names were up for grabs in the draft, SOS stood aside and left that to others to decide to avoid the issue.

5 years later and the discussion that takes place with regards to SOS' 2 sons on the list is much more different to selecting them. There needs to be robust, open discussion about them on the list, to retain, or trade or delist, as with every player. There lies the conflict.

eg there will be discussions whether to keep player A or Jack to play a similar role. This is the job of the List Manager. He can't just step outside the room when disussions take place about his son, because there's other players involved in the discussion.

SOS has done his job.

Next draft the aim is again ready made players through Trading our 2020 and 2021 first and 2nd round picks, or FA. There is a 'live' list of targets in contract and out of contract whether SOS remains or not, this list will continue to exist and targeted.

Time to move Forward. Yes, Forward. Just hope SOS doesn't become List Manager with another club and disrails our opportunity with some of our targets next year.

Agree. Decisions have been made and time to move on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Personally I think SOS has been good for the club during our rebuild. He has engineered good picks for us and addressed most needs for the betterment of the list as a whole (mature A-grade mids is my only issue). He has also understood the need to have mature players around the kids, better or worse than we already had (that will be subjected to individual opinion). The fact is the list needed the turnover of matures we had and to the scale we had or the only other option was to have all kids, which was not an option for the financial stability of the club. So if you agreed or disagreed on his mature recruiting selections, we still needed to take a hit during the process. Overall I think he has been good for the club and I am disappointed to see him go.

There needs to be processes and hierarchy in a club, as any business and if they are not being adhered to or someone has too much weight, then change is needed for the future development of the organisation. However, if you believe the ITK's and the reason for him going I think there is a massive issue if marketing and financial gain can control operations and the natural growth of the club. And the obvious reason is if these marketing stunts don't produce on-field results, we will then be going backwards, again.

But my biggest problem here is while the premise of SOS's departure is due to a conflict of interest, they have spun his tenure length as a form of club stability. Which in a sense is good if we all know nothing else. But when you get ITK's on her posting the clubs dirty laundry so the media scum can jump on read them then make BS articles driven by assumption and click bait headlines, it makes the club look as dysfunctional as ever. If the marketing department want to drive memberships then they better have a good PR department to stop this nonsense and some people in the know need to be sanctioned or removed from the inner circle for propelling this.

As I have said before the draft, the old Carlton is rearing it's ugly head again and the board need to realise this and start making positive changes to the way we do things. i.e. sacking coaches mid season (needed or not), this BS with SOS and putting memberships sales and profits over the long term stability of the club. Especially in the public eye.

So if Lloyd is overstepping his mark then he should go too. Because as supporters how can we expect on-field unity if the off-field team can't even get their s@#t together.

To control the narrative you need to be in control of the issue, there is no way that we could move SOS on until after the draft and I suspect that SOS had a broad power base around the club under the guise of GM of strategy that Liddle has appointed others to perform.

I guarantee you that if we have a reasonable season next year, no-one will be questioning the management of the club, the mainstream media has already moved on and only those passionate about the club are still discussing this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

It seems that John Elliot has weighed into it and said something on radio for which he soon apologised for.
SOS is apparently angry with the club for bringing his boys into it.
It has not been a good week for the club.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

Didn't Jack S bring himself into it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

I’m just entertained by the thought that BRANDON ELLIS killed SOS @ Carlton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Wojee wrote:

Yep. SOS could easily defuse the situation by saying he was out of contract and it was time to move on. The more negative comments he makes, the more it keeps his sons in the spotlight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:55 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:
No inside knowledge but thought SOS was terrific. Finally find it really hard to pick a best 22 - too many players I want to fit in. Most of the recruiting 'misses' were unsurprising - either part of a bigger package or getting some mature bodies in to help the youth in the short term.
I also enjoyed that for a while there (on draft night) we were the most innovative club and lead the way... Been a while since I felt that and enjoyed the feeling.
Don't get the departure rationale but aware that I don't know any behind the scenes stuff.

I really like this post.

I barrack for the Carlton Football Team ... and SOS made me feel good about my team.

disagree. the next person has to be better. noticeably better. bcos if we're not improving & evolving, we're going backwards.

I thought sos did an amazing job at turning over our list and drafting. i have no idea of the inside workings of the club ... but losing sos wreaks of us once again taking 1 small step forward (our late season burst under teague) and 2 large steps back thanks to more backroom egos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:00 pm 
Banned

Braithy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:

I really like this post.

disagree. the next person has to be better. noticeably better. bcos if we're not improving & evolving, we're going backwards.

I thought sos did an amazing job at turning over our list and drafting. i have no idea of the inside workings of the club ... but losing sos wreaks of us once again taking 1 small step forward (our late season burst under teague) and 2 large steps back thanks to more backroom egos

I agree - next person needs to be vastly better not just good. I don't want mediocre - SOS has put so much talent through the door through a gut wrenching rebuild that the next person needs to be vastly superior or it's Liddle's head.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:

SOS has done his job.

Targets down, patch out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

Wojee wrote:

I think they meant that the club used his boys as the reason for his departure.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

kezza wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Yep ,thats correct Kezz.....................reason they are getting rid of him has nothing to do with his sons.Truth is they don't believe he has done a particularly good job and want someone better.Rightly or wrongly thats why SOS is out the door.............i mean,bringing his sons into it is questioning SOS's honesty and integrity.Dunno about you Kezz,but i would be happy for people to question anything about me including my sanity.........BUT..........i value my honesty and integrity above all else and i would fight to the death to defend it..............yeah,we know SOS is a pigheaded stubborn BAS but once his honesty and integrity is questioned i would be going ape dropping's myself.....................the way this has been handled has me deflated beyond belief.I am a huge wrap for the handwork and dedication of Marco LoGo but he has slinked out the back door instead of being front and centre like a true leader.If intends to chuck the towel in at the end of next season he may as well go now and let the next aspiring head honcho take the reigns............sticking around will only fuel those who do anything and everything to bring us down.........time for a change now for mine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:37 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mickstar wrote:
kezza wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Yep ,thats correct Kezz.....................reason they are getting rid of him has nothing to do with his sons.Truth is they don't believe he has done a particularly good job and want someone better.Rightly or wrongly thats why SOS is out the door.............i mean,bringing his sons into it is questioning SOS's honesty and integrity.Dunno about you Kezz,but i would be happy for people to question anything about me including my sanity.........BUT..........i value my honesty and integrity above all else and i would fight to the death to defend it..............yeah,we know SOS is a pigheaded stubborn BAS but once his honesty and integrity is questioned i would be going ape dropping's myself.....................the way this has been handled has me deflated beyond belief.I am a huge wrap for the handwork and dedication of Marco LoGo but he has slinked out the back door instead of being front and centre like a true leader.If intends to chuck the towel in at the end of next season he may as well go now and let the next aspiring head honcho take the reigns............sticking around will only fuel those who do anything and everything to bring us down.........time for a change now for mine.

This is exactly why he’s out the door, and the club would be correct....

The club had two choices... release a more honest statement about SOS’s departure, which wouldn’t have been a good look for SOS or the club, or go the way they did with the conflict of interest..

The club might have even given SOS the choice on the narrative...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next