Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

ColourMan wrote:
Apart from Walsh, the wins in the 2nd half of the year were built on the veterans not the kids...Dow and Fisher made zero contributions, and SPS was also moved out of the middle to the backline...

Yes, Murphy, Curnow and Cripps dominated later in the season. Because they were given all the opportunities.
Fisher, Samo and Dow showed earlier in the season that they had the capability but not the consistency.
At Round 10, Fisher at 20 years of age was averaging 4 clearances per game. Joel Selwood averaged 4.08 for the season. Dyson Heppell averaged 3.72. In Round 1 against Richmond Fisher had more clearances than any player on the ground.

Let's not write the kids off yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
ColourMan wrote:
Apart from Walsh, the wins in the 2nd half of the year were built on the veterans not the kids...Dow and Fisher made zero contributions, and SPS was also moved out of the middle to the backline...

Yes, Murphy, Curnow and Cripps dominated later in the season. Because they were given all the opportunities.
Fisher, Samo and Dow showed earlier in the season that they had the capability but not the consistency.
At Round 10, Fisher at 20 years of age was averaging 4 clearances per game. Joel Selwood averaged 4.08 for the season. Dyson Heppell averaged 3.72. In Round 1 against Richmond Fisher had more clearances than any player on the ground.

I’m not, especially those three...

Agree with everything in your post... Fisher and Dow lost confidence when moved out of the middle, and Samo was moved to the back half due to gaps in the list which hurt his development as well (he was brilliant in the midfield in the win against the Dogs)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:51 pm 
John James

cortez wrote:
Brently8 wrote:
McGovern did miss 10 of the last 14 games in 2018 with an ankle injury and had surgery on both ankles in September 2018 and only got about 3 weeks of training in before his back injury. Some people seem to have conveniently forgotten about that.

He did average 15 touches, 7 marks and 2 goals a game in the 5 week period prior to getting injured in Round 8. He then spent the best part of the next 8 months injured/recovering from surgeries.

Conveniently forgotten? Well, I've been trying to forget about it!

Have to say I'm with Keogh on this. We needed more mids, we sign up a forward who had suffered an injury plagued 2018 and who needed surgery in the off season. I think "Brackets" has the potential to be a good player for us, but another marking forward wasn't what we were crying out for.

I said some people have conveniently forgotten about his ankle injuries. Take our old mate keogh who has probably upward of 75 negative posts on Mcgovern, many calling him lazy and variations of lazy. Accusing him of having eaten shitloads of food and having a shit attitude and that his back injury is a bullshit excuse for him being overweight. Not one of those posts mentions his ankles. Not a single one. Take this for example:

"... A marathon runner can’t really improve his speed or more specifically his anaerobic capacity But the opposite applies to a power athlete like McGovern He clearly has been lazy before he busted his back pre season in his previous years at the Crows Doesn’t work hard enough to make himself better ..."

Bit hard to do the running required when you've missed the best part of 7 months with stuffed ankles.

I agree, I would have preferred mids too. We chased a very highly rated mid at the same time as we got Mcgovern and we would have had both. He chose not to come to us. It's not like we ignored mids. We traded for Setterfield and our first two picks in the draft were mids. We traded a future 1st round pick in order to get a mid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:13 am 
Stephen Kernahan

ColourMan wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Glass half empty, you lot.

Last night I watched the Collingwood game. In the team were Stocker (2 games), Dow (<20), McKay (<20), Fisher (<20), Setterfield (<20), Walsh (7), David Cuningham (<30), Tom Williamson (<20), Michael Gibbons (7)

Collingwood had pretty well their best team on the park less Cox.

We stayed with them for 95 minutes. A couple of silly mistakes coupled with a couple of trick shots on their part at the end cost us goals.

We were without Jones and Newman in the back line. Marchbank and Plowman did really well against a non-conventional forward line.

Jason Dunstall made the point early in the game that he knew Collingwood would play 4 quarters but he didn't know if we would or could.

The potential in that team started to get realised later in the season when things clicked and the belief rose. Despite being without several key players, these same kids and the depth players like Kennedy, O'Brien, Lang, Newman when he got back, started to win games. The list for next year is better with Doc, Charlie (who did play in the Collingwood game), Betts and hopefully Martin realising his potential plus we have added depth with Newnes.

If Teague can get them off to a half decent start to the season and they go in believing they can win, they shoud jump up to 10-12 on the ladder with an outside chance of finishing 8-9. A lot depends on injury and as I said, those early wins.

Most of the names I have mentioned came to us under SOS's tenure. Yes, there have been misses as well as hits. he wasn't to know illiamson would miss two seasons due to a back injury or that Cunningham would get so many niggles.

Recruiting from the draft is not an exact science. Some recruiters seem to get is better than others. Others like Hawthorn just poach players from other clubs. Yet others have their players on a platter from their zones.

One of the big bitches about SOS revolves around Jack and Ben. We all know he stood away from those decisions. Jack was in our best in the Collingwood game FWIW. He is still developing as a player and looks set to make it without being a star. Ben is obviously still not playing. From the perspective of the club and Liddle's comments about having a list manager who was unable to tale part in any discussion about his kids, I see where they are coming from and perhaps they are right. All the chat here about politics and best mates, people being or not being 'Carlton People' is just a smokescreen.

In the next three years we will see the legacy of SOS unfold. The team that plays finals or not will be made up of his selections with a few either side of his time. That's when he will be judged, It's far too early yet based on a few misses. He inherited a sow's ear. Some of you want a silk purse overnight.

Cripps was Superman against the Pies Yes he was but I didn't mention him bcause he was with us before SOS. Jack was very good also. We saw glimpses of Setterfield. Fisher was busy.
Cunningham did come clever stuff.

After 5 trade and draft periods, if Cripps gets hurt our midfield will be led by Murphy (33) and Curnow (30)... all three were there before SOS returned to Carlton... the only young midfielder Teague trusted last year was Walsh

There are gaps everywhere on the list... our best (and only) runner out of the back half goes to ground too easily... which is understandable, he’s 35

I can guarantee you SOS is no longer at Carlton because the club believed he did a poor job (and they are correct), it has nothing to do with his boys...

As great a player as he was, who gives a flower about his legacy as a list manager... the club acted based on his performance... I would have thought people would be more interested in the success of the Carlton Football Club than being worried about SOS’s reputation as a list manager

I am not denying the prsence of Cripps, Murphy and Curnow. Thye were en enormous bitof the puzzle in the second half BUT the reality of it is that three paople a footy team maketh not. The kids you brush off so nonchalantly also played their part. We haven't seen the best of Setterfield, Kennedy, Dow or O'Brien yet.
Personally I don't care one way or the other if SOS is gone. I agree with you in that sense. I'm just another one one of the nuffies according to the ITKs and founding fathers of this group so my opinion is scoffed at by them. Just so, I say it's too early to write off the future. Give it two or three years.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many here are circling over this list like vultures waiting to descend on its rotting corpse screaming,

"I told youse."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:24 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:
ColourMan wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Glass half empty, you lot.

Last night I watched the Collingwood game. In the team were Stocker (2 games), Dow (<20), McKay (<20), Fisher (<20), Setterfield (<20), Walsh (7), David Cuningham (<30), Tom Williamson (<20), Michael Gibbons (7)

Collingwood had pretty well their best team on the park less Cox.

We stayed with them for 95 minutes. A couple of silly mistakes coupled with a couple of trick shots on their part at the end cost us goals.

We were without Jones and Newman in the back line. Marchbank and Plowman did really well against a non-conventional forward line.

Jason Dunstall made the point early in the game that he knew Collingwood would play 4 quarters but he didn't know if we would or could.

The potential in that team started to get realised later in the season when things clicked and the belief rose. Despite being without several key players, these same kids and the depth players like Kennedy, O'Brien, Lang, Newman when he got back, started to win games. The list for next year is better with Doc, Charlie (who did play in the Collingwood game), Betts and hopefully Martin realising his potential plus we have added depth with Newnes.

If Teague can get them off to a half decent start to the season and they go in believing they can win, they shoud jump up to 10-12 on the ladder with an outside chance of finishing 8-9. A lot depends on injury and as I said, those early wins.

Most of the names I have mentioned came to us under SOS's tenure. Yes, there have been misses as well as hits. he wasn't to know illiamson would miss two seasons due to a back injury or that Cunningham would get so many niggles.

Recruiting from the draft is not an exact science. Some recruiters seem to get is better than others. Others like Hawthorn just poach players from other clubs. Yet others have their players on a platter from their zones.

One of the big bitches about SOS revolves around Jack and Ben. We all know he stood away from those decisions. Jack was in our best in the Collingwood game FWIW. He is still developing as a player and looks set to make it without being a star. Ben is obviously still not playing. From the perspective of the club and Liddle's comments about having a list manager who was unable to tale part in any discussion about his kids, I see where they are coming from and perhaps they are right. All the chat here about politics and best mates, people being or not being 'Carlton People' is just a smokescreen.

In the next three years we will see the legacy of SOS unfold. The team that plays finals or not will be made up of his selections with a few either side of his time. That's when he will be judged, It's far too early yet based on a few misses. He inherited a sow's ear. Some of you want a silk purse overnight.

Cripps was Superman against the Pies Yes he was but I didn't mention him bcause he was with us before SOS. Jack was very good also. We saw glimpses of Setterfield. Fisher was busy.
Cunningham did come clever stuff.

After 5 trade and draft periods, if Cripps gets hurt our midfield will be led by Murphy (33) and Curnow (30)... all three were there before SOS returned to Carlton... the only young midfielder Teague trusted last year was Walsh

There are gaps everywhere on the list... our best (and only) runner out of the back half goes to ground too easily... which is understandable, he’s 35

I can guarantee you SOS is no longer at Carlton because the club believed he did a poor job (and they are correct), it has nothing to do with his boys...

As great a player as he was, who gives a flower about his legacy as a list manager... the club acted based on his performance... I would have thought people would be more interested in the success of the Carlton Football Club than being worried about SOS’s reputation as a list manager

I am not denying the prsence of Cripps, Murphy and Curnow. Thye were en enormous bitof the puzzle in the second half BUT the reality of it is that three paople a footy team maketh not. The kids you brush off so nonchalantly also played their part. We haven't seen the best of Setterfield, Kennedy, Dow or O'Brien yet.
Personally I don't care one way or the other if SOS is gone. I agree with you in that sense. I'm just another one one of the nuffies according to the ITKs and founding fathers of this group so my opinion is scoffed at by them. Just so, I say it's too early to write off the future. Give it two or three years.

[color=#FF4000]I can't for the life of me understand why so many here are circling over this list like vultures waiting to descend on its rotting corpse screaming,

"I told youse.
[/color]"

Some people only like to criticize and it's especially evident after we win some games as they are nowhere to be seen, they post this now as they won't be able to in a couple years when the kids come on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:

19, 20, 21 and 22 year olds aren’t dominating the midfield. Who would have thought?

Better write them off even though each has shown enough.

It’s such a weak argument being made. Wait 3 years and we will all know. Writing them off now is the easiest thing to do because, unless you’re a freak like Walsh, there’s little chance you can be proven wrong. But you do get to keep repeating the same shit over and over I guess, and we have already seen with the first crop of draftees they start to come into their own when given time.

Just move onto the next lot of targets then I guess. Rinse, repeat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:23 am 
Bruce Doull

Sounds like Nick Austin from the Dogs might be the favourite.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

Confirmed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yep.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/368066/blue ... eplace-sos

Curly Jr can have his own thread after he starts at the club.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:15 pm 
Craig Bradley

Even though I was very disappointed to see SOS go, it's good they've got someone with some experience ready to take over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:18 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Sounds like they have gone with someone they feel they can trust.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Not really related but Curly Austin was one of the very few defenders in that era who consistently kept Leigh Matthews below his usual output.
He managed to better him on the odd occasion as well.
Very important player was Rod Austin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Not really related but Curly Austin was one of the very few defenders in that era who consistently kept Leigh Matthews below his usual output.

Also one of only three players to keep Peter Hudson goalless in a game.

I think Barry Richardson from Richmond was another and the third player escapes my memory.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:57 pm 
Geoff Southby

Stefchook wrote:
Even though I was very disappointed to see SOS go, it's good they've got someone with some experience ready to take over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Carlton welcomes Austin as Head of List Management
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/55764 ... management

Quote:
THE Carlton Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Nick Austin to the role of Head of List Management.

With experience extending across 14 years in list management and recruiting, Austin will take on the newly-created role that will allow him to oversee the recruitment and retention of AFL playing talent through the draft, free agency and trade.

Austin arrives at Ikon Park from the Whitten Oval, where he had two stints (2006-2008 and 2018–present), most recently as the Bulldogs’ National Recruiting Manager.

In between his time at the Dogs, Austin played a pivotal role in building the Richmond premiership list as the Tigers’ List Management and Recruiting Officer from 2012-2018.

He was also the recruiting officer and opposition analyst at Port Adelaide from 2009-2011.

He starts on 10 February.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

camelboy wrote:
Carlton welcomes Austin as Head of List Management
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/55764 ... management

Quote:
THE Carlton Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Nick Austin to the role of Head of List Management.

With experience extending across 14 years in list management and recruiting, Austin will take on the newly-created role that will allow him to oversee the recruitment and retention of AFL playing talent through the draft, free agency and trade.

Austin arrives at Ikon Park from the Whitten Oval, where he had two stints (2006-2008 and 2018–present), most recently as the Bulldogs’ National Recruiting Manager.

In between his time at the Dogs, Austin played a pivotal role in building the Richmond premiership list as the Tigers’ List Management and Recruiting Officer from 2012-2018.

He was also the recruiting officer and opposition analyst at Port Adelaide from 2009-2011.

He starts on 10 February.

I'd be interested to know why AFL.com.au can publish this information before we get an email from the club or at the least Carltonfc.com.au can break the news to the Carlton faithful first.
It seems like our Media dept. is a bit lacking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:43 pm 
Robert Walls

Does he have eligible grandfather sons? He better start making his exit plan if so....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:06 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Didn't Matthews break his jaw at Waverley once?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Didn't Matthews break his jaw at Waverley once?

Yep ! sure did.Happened right in front of me.Mathews didn't even look at the ball.Mathews ligned up Curly who i might say had eyes for the ball only unfortunately and was caught flush.Bad luck but thats how it was in those.Cant complain as we had plenty who would have done the same thing given half the chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

I kick like Curly Austin, that's how much I like him

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next