Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

How Saints Traded in 5 bonafide Best 22 players in one Trade season says its possible if you look, plan and try and make it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
How Saints Traded in 5 bonafide Best 22 players in one Trade season says its possible if you look, plan and try and make it happen.

Saints Had Pick 6

GOT Picks 12 and 18 - GAVE AWAY Picks 6 and 69

GOT Paddy Ryder, Dougal Howard, Pick 10 and a future fourth-round pick - GAVE AWAY Picks 12, 18 and a future third-round pick

GOT Pick 58 - GAVE AWAY Jack Steven

GOT Brad Hill and a future third-round pick - GAVE AWAY Blake Acres, Picks 10 and 58, a future second-round pick and a future fourth-round pick

GOT Picks 32 and 51 - GAVE AWAY Josh Bruce

GOT Zak Jones, Pick 56 and a future fourth-round pick - GAVE AWAY Picks 32 and 76 and a future third-round pick

GOT Dan Butler - GAVE AWAY Pick 56

SOS had pick Pick 11 and got us

young players-

Kemp
Philp
Ramsay
Honey
Philips
Pittenet

experienced players-

Betts
Martin
Newnes

Turning pick 11 into Kemp Philp wasn't bad.

I think SOS haul was his best one, since the 2015 haul of Weiters McKay and Curnow (and Cuningham and JSOS).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Saints Had Pick 6

GOT Picks 12 and 18 - GAVE AWAY Picks 6 and 69

GOT Paddy Ryder, Dougal Howard, Pick 10 and a future fourth-round pick - GAVE AWAY Picks 12, 18 and a future third-round pick

GOT Pick 58 - GAVE AWAY Jack Steven

GOT Brad Hill and a future third-round pick - GAVE AWAY Blake Acres, Picks 10 and 58, a future second-round pick and a future fourth-round pick

GOT Picks 32 and 51 - GAVE AWAY Josh Bruce

GOT Zak Jones, Pick 56 and a future fourth-round pick - GAVE AWAY Picks 32 and 76 and a future third-round pick

GOT Dan Butler - GAVE AWAY Pick 56

SOS had pick Pick 11 and got us

young players-

Kemp
Philp
Ramsay
Honey
Philips
Pittenet

experienced players-

Betts
Martin
Newnes

Turning pick 11 into Kemp Philp wasn't bad.

I think SOS haul was his best one, since the 2015 haul of Weiters McKay and Curnow (and Cuningham and JSOS).

I agree that SOS was good at trading up picks and drafting kids. Getting good mature players and holding the whole trade week down by focusing on a couple of players was his weakness.
He should've had a trade week last year like this.
Betts is a walk in - no focus.
Martin - offer GCS a pick with a deadline. If they say no, march him through to the PSD like we did.
Newnes - that was quick and good.
He then should've offered Sydney a deal they couldn't refuse so they forgot about waiting for Daniher.
Next, traded away more picks/players in last years draft and this years for other B+ mids or to get back into the draft if needed.
And still had a day spare for any other random offer.
Week over and in the same position as the Saints.
And then he would've still been at the club.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
It's not like sos didn't try.

In past 4 drafts, we have drafted

SPS
Fisher
Dow
Lob
Walsh
Stocker
Philp

7 top 20 Picks

For whatever reason none of them except Walsh played midfield in round 2

I don't think high draft picks are the issue here. It's the fact everyone wants results now and they're pretty much either kids or not the body type to put on size to be competitive at the coal face playing against men.
SOS should've put more value on picking up B+ grade mids from other teams to help some of these kids develop and be less exposed.
And yes, I know we tried to get some guns from GWS but I think the bar was set too high and a bit one dimensional (mainly for marketing purposes). A Zak Jones or even an Ed Langdon would've been sufficient enough to make a noticeable difference in the middle.
Setterfield Kennedy Wiley Palmer Lang Smedts Lamb Pickett Deluca

He had a fair crack at a few the fact that Bolton didn't play them whilst the others developed might be more the point. I know they are not B+ but they were all capable of midfield chop out

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think that's a weak cop out using Bolton as the scape goat for our lack of mature players helping develop the kids. From memory he was under the instruction to get games into the kids and build the young core. The exact opposite of what Teague is doing. Plus out of the players you have highlighted, only 3 are with the club which pretty much says it all. Especially seeing as though they never got a game at another AFL club afterwards. And to be honest I am not sure how Lang or Kennedy are still on our list and they're not even being used as midfielders under Teague for a reason. The only one that will most likely become a B+ midfielder is Setterfield and in 2019 under Bolton (effectively his first full season in the AFL) he played 7 out of a possible 11 games. Also if I recall correctly, he was suspended for two of those 11 games, then returned through the VFL. However I did like Lamb, who did play 18 out of 22 in his last season. But I don't think Bolton had much to do with his removal and we already know that he was hounding SOS for more true mids. Either way I'm sure we both can agree that Kennedy, Wiley, Palmer, Lang, Smedts and even Deluca would not have anywhere near the same impact in the middle to help Cripps vs a Zak Jones type etc.
Wasn't meant to be a crack at Bolton we just seem to have gone about it arse about. We played younger blokes at the expense of the older blokes we recruited in to try develop them now a few are at the age where they should be contributing they are struggling or not in the team.
Not 100% sure if throwing kids to the wolves is the right thing to do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
It's not like sos didn't try.

In past 4 drafts, we have drafted

SPS
Fisher
Dow
Lob
Walsh
Stocker
Philp

7 top 20 Picks

For whatever reason none of them except Walsh played midfield in round 2

I don't think high draft picks are the issue here. It's the fact everyone wants results now and they're pretty much either kids or not the body type to put on size to be competitive at the coal face playing against men.
SOS should've put more value on picking up B+ grade mids from other teams to help some of these kids develop and be less exposed.
And yes, I know we tried to get some guns from GWS but I think the bar was set too high and a bit one dimensional (mainly for marketing purposes). A Zak Jones or even an Ed Langdon would've been sufficient enough to make a noticeable difference in the middle.
Setterfield Kennedy Wiley Palmer Lang Smedts Lamb Pickett Deluca

He had a fair crack at a few the fact that Bolton didn't play them whilst the others developed might be more the point. I know they are not B+ but they were all capable of midfield chop out

I think that's a weak cop out using Bolton as the scape goat for our lack of mature players helping develop the kids. From memory he was under the instruction to get games into the kids and build the young core. The exact opposite of what Teague is doing. Plus out of the players you have highlighted, only 3 are with the club which pretty much says it all. Especially seeing as though they never got a game at another AFL club afterwards. And to be honest I am not sure how Lang or Kennedy are still on our list and they're not even being used as midfielders under Teague for a reason. The only one that will most likely become a B+ midfielder is Setterfield and in 2019 under Bolton (effectively his first full season in the AFL) he played 7 out of a possible 11 games. Also if I recall correctly, he was suspended for two of those 11 games, then returned through the VFL. However I did like Lamb, who did play 18 out of 22 in his last season. But I don't think Bolton had much to do with his removal and we already know that he was hounding SOS for more true mids. Either way I'm sure we both can agree that Kennedy, Wiley, Palmer, Lang, Smedts and even Deluca would not have anywhere near the same impact in the middle to help Cripps vs a Zak Jones type etc.
Wasn't meant to be a crack at Bolton we just seem to have gone about it arse about. We played younger blokes at the expense of the older blokes we recruited in to try develop them now a few are at the age where they should be contributing they are struggling or not in the team.

Totally agree with you SB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

unless youre Jimmy Buckleyor Ken Sheldon or Robbie Walls from Coburg.

They bred them tough in those days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:

I agree, all you have to do is look at the Lions and how they went about it. A mixture of experienced and just about out the door champions, rising talent and good drafting.
Plus playing the mid aged mature players we have won't work as they just don't seem like they're up to it.
We should've kept Daisy if this was the game plan for the year.
The scary part is that possibly the Suns and the Saints are going to pass us too.
At least we might end up having the Cows on the bottom though. Fingers crossed.
I hope we bring back the kids for a few of the games we have no chance in, like this weekend. At least they will have more games under their belt at the end of the season.
Then off to the trade table.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

I agree, all you have to do is look at the Lions and how they went about it. A mixture of experienced and just about out the door champions, rising talent and good drafting.
Plus playing the mid aged mature players we have won't work as they just don't seem like they're up to it.
We should've kept Daisy if this was the game plan for the year.
The scary part is that possibly the Suns and the Saints are going to pass us too.
At least we might end up having the Cows on the bottom though. Fingers crossed.
I hope we bring back the kids for a few of the games we have no chance in, like this weekend. At least they will have more games under their belt at the end of the season.
Then off to the trade table.

If we don't win games this year, the marketing department will go nuts. It's about $.
Teague is safe in the short term but he has to turn marketing promises into wins or the members will drop off again.
Remember Richmond year after year touting their finals chances and selling memberships and memorabilia on the back of it to the point where membrs were burning their emberships at Punt Rd.
We used to laugh at them for being 9th year after year and then they bottomed out and guess what? Enter a PP and Dusty, a few good trades and twoyears after thy were going to sack their coach comes a flag.
They started to finally win games.
Our problem has always been we don't like to do it properly. This time we are doing it. If we spend a couple of years in 9th place on the way to a flag, I'll take that from where we are atm.
WE HAVE TO WIN GAMES TO GET TO 9TH.
Playing kids before they are ready is what got Bolts the sack. Lets just play the best 22 even if they are older until the kids push them out of the side.
By all means play kids if other kids aren't producing.
I'd drop Harry this week and give TDK or Ben Silvagni a crack at FF. A kid for a kid. Harry is just going through the motions. If Jezza were coach, he'd know all about it.
If Wallsy or Parko were coach, Jeez.... his hair would be on fire.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:17 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What are people's thoughts on Mark Ricciuoto's comments on the players the crows have lost over the past couple years? Specifically his comments on Gov? My thoughts at the time were we did overpay for him especially given he wasn't the type of player we were desperate for. However, I took the point that given where we were on the ladder and to become a "destination club", we'd have to pay overs for a player still in contract and who expressed an interest in joining us.
Thus far (albeit just a season and 2 games), he hasn't really delivered. Hoping these comments will sting him into action and we'll see more consistent output from him.

For those who haven't read them, his comments relating to Gov are below with full link to article:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... cddcbf74f9

Mitch McGovern - “Comfortable that he went. He’s got what we want and we love people that contest in the forward line and have plenty of speed and we need speed in the forward line but once again 800 and something thousand, has he delivered for Carlton yet? No. Comfortable that he went.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:27 am 
Stephen Silvagni

He'll be on a million a year soon the way his pay keeps on going up.

His manager has said on Twitter the one and only reason he left Adelaide was because of the camp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

verbs wrote:

His manager has said on Twitter the one and only reason he left Adelaide was because of the camp.

Just heard that. He also said at the time re-signed with the crows, the eagles offered him a lot more and a longer term contract, but he chose to stay loyal to the crows.
Either way, hope those comments put a rocket up Gov and we see the best out of him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 am 
Ken Hunter

Media says our list isn't good enough to challenge, let alone play finals. I have not heard one person defend or challenge that thought.
Every time I look at our kids, I see high growth and real potential. An under 25's team has me drooling at the thought of what could be.
Are we as supporters blind sided by our draft picks and maybe we are just expecting too much from a team not good enough?

Under25’s (close enough)

Docherty Macreade/Marchbank/Goddard Plowman
Setterfield Weitering Williamson
Dow Cripps O’Brien
Petrovski-Seton CCurnow Fisher
JSoS McKay Martin
DeKoning/Pittonet Stocker Walsh
Cuningham Gibbons Kerr Philip
McGovern Kennedy Polson Lang (I've moved some non fan favourites to emeg)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:14 am 
Bruce Doull

SurreyBlue wrote:
Are we as supporters blind sided by our draft picks and maybe we are just expecting too much from a team not good enough?

We're blind sided by not realising other clubs' growth & strengths.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
Media says our list isn't good enough to challenge, let alone play finals. I have not heard one person defend or challenge that thought.
Every time I look at our kids, I see high growth and real potential. An under 25's team has me drooling at the thought of what could be.

Under25’s (close enough)

Dow Cripps O’Brien
JSoS McKay Martin

Clearly you don't see very well.... :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Is Kerr still on the list ? ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
What are people's thoughts on Mark Ricciuoto's comments on the players the crows have lost over the past couple years? Specifically his comments on Gov? My thoughts at the time were we did overpay for him especially given he wasn't the type of player we were desperate for. However, I took the point that given where we were on the ladder and to become a "destination club", we'd have to pay overs for a player still in contract and who expressed an interest in joining us.
Thus far (albeit just a season and 2 games), he hasn't really delivered. Hoping these comments will sting him into action and we'll see more consistent output from him.

For those who haven't read them, his comments relating to Gov are below with full link to article:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... cddcbf74f9

Mitch McGovern - “Comfortable that he went. He’s got what we want and we love people that contest in the forward line and have plenty of speed and we need speed in the forward line but once again 800 and something thousand, has he delivered for Carlton yet? No. Comfortable that he went.”

Reports that Gov was paid up to $700K in the media were disputed by SOS and Gov, in the media. Gove was interviewed and said it was not money he came for, and it wasn't the $700K reported in media.

Why would I believe a Crows Board Member who is responsible for the exodus, culture and demise of the team that played in the 2017 GF?
He's full of shit, and he's being exposed by everyone, and he's back tracking ever so fast since McLeod's comments.

But hoping Gov steps it up another gear because of the slanderous comments made....assuming its bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

Agree Bondi

ricciuto was a great player but he's clearly not the brightest bloke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:

:thumbsup: I read that too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:

Under25’s (close enough)

Dow Cripps O’Brien
JSoS McKay Martin

A bit rough on Gov.

Doubt the following will make it: Macreadie, Goddard, Kerr, Polson, Kennedy, Lang

You've missed players who will probably feature for Carlton: B. Silvagni, Philp, Kemp, Honey, Ramsay

Maybe even those showing something: Cottrell, Philips, Owies and ODwyer showed something down back recently

Point is the pool of players U25 are greater than 22 and the word to describe the profile is "plethora".

Everyone agrees we wont challenge for finals, albeit a distant hope based on the Teague Train effect, but we were hoping for 8-10 wins in 22 rounds. Nothing new. But everyone agrees its a list full of youthful riches, and more to come in every year.

So what's the problem?

I just had lunch with a Sports Psych and I let it rip when he asked me what's up with carlton? They looked like they were going to win on Saturday.
Its all fixable, and maybe the coaches haven't acclimatised to the new game conditions as quickly as the others.

I pointed the finger at:

1. List Manager: Types of characters. Too much of the same nice kids breast fed in the TAC or GPS environment with no idea of the real demands of footy.
2. Sports psych: They obviously are not putting a fire in their belly, and the types we have drafted need sports psych to just front up.
3. Coach: His job to generate a killer emotion before they run out to win, not to have fun and play.
4. Development coaches: not teaching them to tackle and put their body in for their mates.
5.Physical Development: are the kids still skinny and gutless for that reason because they haven't done weights?
6. Performance Director: Maybe he has trained them to endure 30 minute quarters, not 16 minutes, and no weights to give them endurance.
7. Others: I'm sure other off field support can find shortfalls and reasons they contributed to a lack of **** whatever is missing.

Theses kids names were not pulled out of a hat. They deserved their selections. They were highly regarded by every recruiter from every club. It wasn't an accident. Sure there were some bolters as their were sliders. Point is they can all play footy at U18 level in the play ground.

Why are they a pack of intaverted, unmotivated, selfish players, who can't get themselves up for the first quarter? See list point 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or maybe they just are.

There has to be at least half of them who can be developed and motivated to be part of a successful Carlton team: that gives us 17 players who can. Bolt on the current seniors who can play the level, or the players we can bring in next year and the year after like Saints just did, and you know what can happen if......

we get in players who have the killer instinct
stop carrying players who are not physically or mentally up to playing finals footy let alone winning first quarters
change the off field influencers (1-7) modus operandi, and get real Aussie rules is not High school footy, TAC or for the faint hearted.

I still think we will work out what is needed, possibly doing a good job of it this week, and we should surprise all the knockers.
We have to come out the blocks prepared to win at all costs, like the other teams did against us in the last 13 matches, let alone last 2.

We might surprise a few, and I am in no doubt, anything can happen and change after 3-4 rounds of footy. History tells us its possible.

I'm not saying they will change. I'm saying we can.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:41 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Ricciutto reminds me of Sticks.

Great onfield leader - not suited to the boardroom.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 118  Next