Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:20 pm 
formerly King Kenny

So is it confirmed lists will be reduced?

Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:
Marchy when fit easily in our best 22 and in a good age bracket. However, the question needs to be asked. If he consistently spends more time out injured than on the field, can we really afford to carry him? Especially with reduced lists.

Fair question. Marchbank would have no trade currency at the moment, so delisting a player of his ability just seems like bad list management to me (unless the medical prognosis is bad).

We know he can play, so I guess it depends on what the medicos are saying about him. If the forecast for his body is good, he is too talented to let go for nothing. A one year deal, possibly on reduced coin, would seem reasonable. However, if his neck & knee are still of concern, then I agree we can’t afford to keep him with shortened lists. I reckon we might be more likely to move him on if Macreadie & Williamson finish 2020 strongly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

The Normal One wrote:
So is it confirmed lists will be reduced?

Not confirmed as far as I know, but considered highly probable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:28 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Rexy wrote:
For mine the untouchables are-

JSOS
Dow
LOB
SPS
Cripps
McKay
Gov
TDK
Stocker
Doch
Kemp
Walsh
Martin
Marchbank
Weitering
Fisher
Macreadie
Pittonet
Cunners
Charlie
Willo
Ramsay
Philp
Honey
BSOS
Gibbons
Setterfield

That leaves the rest who are on the table -

Murphy
Simpson
Kennedy
Kreuzer
Jones
Betts
Lang
Plowman
Newman
Polson
Newnes
Ed
Finbar
Phillips
Levi
Owies
Goddard
Cottrell
Moore

Haha. Kennedy and Plowman. :lol: :lol:

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:29 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

moshe25 wrote:
Rexy wrote:
For mine the untouchables are-

JSOS
Dow
LOB
SPS
Cripps
McKay
Gov
TDK
Stocker
Doch
Kemp
Walsh
Martin
Marchbank
Weitering
Fisher
Macreadie
Pittonet
Cunners
Charlie
Willo
Ramsay
Philp
Honey
BSOS
Gibbons
Setterfield

That leaves the rest who are on the table -

Murphy
Simpson
Kennedy
Kreuzer
Jones
Betts
Lang
Plowman
Newman
Polson
Newnes
Ed
Finbar
Phillips
Levi
Owies
Goddard
Cottrell
Moore

Haha. Kennedy and Plowman. :lol: :lol:

Oh, and Levi... Roflmfao. You're a tonic!

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

Ed and Jones consistent performers who are too old to have trade value, have good fitness records and no one in reserve providing meaningful competition... Why would you see them as expendable? Not sure I understand the high regard Macreadie is held in, he looked way out of his element last time he played Firsts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:27 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

GreatEx wrote:
Ed and Jones consistent performers who are too old to have trade value, have good fitness records and no one in reserve providing meaningful competition... Why would you see them as expendable? Not sure I understand the high regard Macreadie is held in, he looked way out of his element last time he played Firsts.

The likes of Ed and Plow and Jones and some others are obviously unlikely to go, but if there's a club that sees moneyball value along with our draft picks in a trade situation then why not look at it.

With Macreadie, yeah there'll be lots of views on his worth. I just reckon he's got AFL tricks and he's got age on his side.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
According to the contract tracker, the players out of contract at the end of 2020 are below. With shorter lists next year, some harsh decisions will be required. I’ve highlighted the players I think will stay, the rest must be doubtful...

1. Marc Murphy
2. Kade Simpson
3. Matthew Kennedy
4. Matthew Kreuzer
5. Darcy Lang
6. Eddie Betts
7. Lachie Plowman
8. Caleb Marchbank
9. Harrison Macreadie
10. Cameron Polson
11. Tom Williamson
12. Jack Newnes
13. Edward Curnow
14. Josh Honey (r)
15. Ben Silvagni
16. Finbar O'Dwyer
17. Fraser Phillips (r)
18. Michael Gibbons (r)
19. Levi Casboult
20. Matthew Owies (r)
21. Hugh Goddard (r)
22. Matthew Cottrell (r)
23. Callum Moore (r)

Assuming it’s correct there will be lists of 40 next year (including rookies), I’m guessing we’ll be cutting around 10-12 players. So I reckon all but a few of the unhighlighted above will be gone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aboynamedsue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
According to the contract tracker, the players out of contract at the end of 2020 are below. With shorter lists next year, some harsh decisions will be required. I’ve highlighted the players I think will stay, the rest must be doubtful...

1. Marc Murphy
2. Kade Simpson
3. Matthew Kennedy
4. Matthew Kreuzer
5. Darcy Lang
6. Eddie Betts
7. Lachie Plowman
8. Caleb Marchbank
9. Harrison Macreadie
10. Cameron Polson
11. Tom Williamson
12. Jack Newnes
13. Edward Curnow
14. Josh Honey (r)
15. Ben Silvagni
16. Finbar O'Dwyer
17. Fraser Phillips (r)
18. Michael Gibbons (r)
19. Levi Casboult
20. Matthew Owies (r)
21. Hugh Goddard (r)
22. Matthew Cottrell (r)
23. Callum Moore (r)

Assuming it’s correct there will be lists of 40 next year (including rookies), I’m guessing we’ll be cutting around 10-12 players. So I reckon all but a few of the unhighlighted above will be gone.

At the moment I'd expect Newnes to remain and possibly Macreadie if he stays healthy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

Humpers wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

1. Marc Murphy
2. Kade Simpson
3. Matthew Kennedy
4. Matthew Kreuzer
5. Darcy Lang
6. Eddie Betts
7. Lachie Plowman
8. Caleb Marchbank
9. Harrison Macreadie
10. Cameron Polson
11. Tom Williamson
12. Jack Newnes
13. Edward Curnow
14. Josh Honey (r)
15. Ben Silvagni
16. Finbar O'Dwyer
17. Fraser Phillips (r)
18. Michael Gibbons (r)
19. Levi Casboult
20. Matthew Owies (r)
21. Hugh Goddard (r)
22. Matthew Cottrell (r)
23. Callum Moore (r)

At the moment I'd expect Newnes to remain and possibly Macreadie if he stays healthy.

You’re probably right about Newnes. But if his form drops off in the second half of the year, he could be in trouble.

The next couple of months are make or break for Macreadie. For me, ‘make’ means forcing his way into the senior side and doing OK. With Newman and Marchbank out, and Williamson not quite established, there’s an opportunity for him if he can string some solid scratch matches together.

Two of Murphy, Simmo, Betts & E Curnow will probably hang on. My money is on E Curnow and Murphy, barring serious injury before season’s end. I’m pretty sure it’s over for Kreuzer sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Tom Browne was reporting earlier in the week that Murphy was about to pen a new one year deal, so I'm a little shocked to hear of his passing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

If 40 is the number, then the cuts won't be all that hard this year.

Lang, Polson, Macreadie & Finbar off the main list. Moore, Goddard & Owies off the rookie list.

That gets us to 39, including a promotion for Gibbons and the flexibility to cut/promote Honey, Cottrell or Phillips depending on what happens to the rookie list.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:

Lang, Polson, Macreadie & Finbar off the main list. Moore, Goddard & Owies off the rookie list.

That gets us to 39, including a promotion for Gibbons and the flexibility to cut/promote Honey, Cottrell or Phillips depending on what happens to the rookie list.

Then we need to cut another 5 (minimum) from the primary list to make room for the new players we intend to pick up in the draft, FA & trade periods.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:53 pm 
Craig Bradley

That’d be a different discussion. Those seven names I listed could be cut loose today... until Moore was selected, I wouldn’t have thought they even went into camp.

The decisions re Simpson, Betts, Murphy & Kreuzer are pretty cut & dry. If any of Dow, O’Brien, Fisher, de Koning & Ben Silvagni can’t win their spots, then it’s time to cut bait and hope that the old bodies can survive another season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Crusader wrote:
That’d be a different discussion. Those seven names I listed could be cut loose today... until Moore was selected, I wouldn’t have thought they even went into camp.

The decisions re Simpson, Betts, Murphy & Kreuzer are pretty cut & dry. If any of Dow, O’Brien, Fisher, de Koning & Ben Silvagni can’t win their spots, then it’s time to cut bait and hope that the old bodies can survive another season.

If we cut Dow and TDK, they won't even touch the ground before they get picked up. O'Brien might get picked up. Ben is an unknown and I would be surprised if he gets cut without at least a look. His issue is that we are flush with tall defenders atm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:49 am 
Craig Bradley

Amongst the fit players, Dow, O’Brien & Fisher are behind Gibbons, Newnes, Kennedy & even Philp.

The return of Newman, Charlie & Jack will only push them further down the list, as the pieces are moved around the board. And then there’s Kemp & the others that are as yet unseen (but probably only Kemp).

I’m not emotionally attached to Fisher like some are, but I’ll concede he could probably have as much impact as Gibbons, or perhaps Cunningham (on average). However, that only puts him somewhere around the 19th to 28th choice.

I don’t care much for either O’Brien or TDK. Neither of them bring anything that is above average to the table and redundancies are looming.

Getting Dow back into the 22 before this year is finished would be a good first year result for Luke Power.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:15 am 
Geoff Southby

Dow, Fisher, LOB & TDK have another year (in Dow’s case, 2 years) to run on their contract, so I doubt any of them will be delisted. The only way I can see them leaving is if they are unhappy at Carlton and/or if one of them is packaged up with a first round draft pick for Josh Kelly.

Ben Silvagni is an interesting one; family name aside, he does look promising as a long term prospect. Towards the end of last season, and from what I saw before the shutdown this year, he has genuinely improved. Whether he has enough upside at a time of shortening lists is the question. People will say we have an abundance of key defenders, but keep in mind that Jones is 29, Goddard will be delisted and Marchbank & Macreadie have trouble staying on the park.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:47 am 
Geoff Southby

An unknown factor in this is Stocker. I’m assuming at this point he will be back next season, but we don’t know what the situation is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
GreatEx wrote:

The likes of Ed and Plow and Jones and some others are obviously unlikely to go, but if there's a club that sees moneyball value along with our draft picks in a trade situation then why not look at it.

With Macreadie, yeah there'll be lots of views on his worth. I just reckon he's got AFL tricks and he's got age on his side.

Macreadie reportedly showed great skills in the air and on the ground in recent reserves game.

Good to hear he's on the comeback trail. He played really well in the preseason 2 years ago.

Post subject: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:07 am 
Wayne Johnston

aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Then we need to cut another 5 (minimum) from the primary list to make room for the new players we intend to pick up in the draft, FA & trade periods.

I’d expect that if the cut the primary list to 40 then the minimum turn over would also be cut, 2-3 from the draft, FA & trade periods for this year would be more than sufficient when coupled with the list reductions. If clubs want to cut harder then let them, but don’t force them to prematurely end careers of currently listed players.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 118  Next