Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:40 am 
Harry Vallence

Tom Morris seems convinced we're trading pick 8 for two picks late in the first round.

8 and 39 for 15 and 19 from Brisbane seems too good to be true.
8 and next year's first for 11 and 12 (Coniglio compensation) from GWS seems far too risky.
If Gold Coast get a end of first round priority pick - 8 for Martin and either the Lions' first or the priority pick?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I very much doubt GC are getting an end of first rounder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:38 am 
Geoff Southby

Given the seasons they had an more importantly what they actually did and how much they contributed when they were fit and on the field
How is it that Cuningham get a 3 year contract and Gibbons gets a one year rookie contract

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin III wrote:

In the context that you think their request for pick 2 will get up, or they're getting similar to last year's pittance?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:37 pm 
John Nicholls

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:

In the context that you think their request for pick 2 will get up, or they're getting similar to last year's pittance?

Now that Carlton doesn't impede the AFL's decision making, GCS is gonna get massive help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
How is it that Cuningham get a 3 year contract and Gibbons gets a one year rookie contract

Both come pretty cheap. These aren't the type of contracts you should be worrying about. Cuningham needs to get on the park a bit more, but we've seen what he can do when he's fit. If he gets some consistency...we have a beauty on our hands until age 25.
Cunners wouldn't be making the league average ($371k) which would be pretty rare for a player entering year 5 and a pick 23. He'll get $5k a game plus associated bonuses.

Gibbo's contract for 2020 is an $80k base salary, $4k senior match payments and a $12k bonus if he plays more than 11 games.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

robertbb wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:

Now that Carlton doesn't impede the AFL's decision making, GCS is gonna get massive help.

Still probably won't be enough.

Don't begrudge them pick 2 at all. It's warranted, and in the context of the two blokes being schoolmates, good luck to them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Be shocked if pick 2 wasn't coming the Suns way. And Rowell and Anderson would love it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

ferdinand wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:
Rookie contract for Gibbo is a little surprising. We would have to have an injury for him to play.

That's no longer the case I think, rookies can play any time, don't need to be an injury replacement.

Correct. Only difference now is salary I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

robertbb wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:

That is certainly the case.
Makes me sick that no other clubs have kicked up a stink about them getting an early PP.
Last year they cried foul, Bevo even said we can't compromise the draft.
Seems it is a different case when we are not involved.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

kezza wrote:
That is certainly the case.
Makes me sick that no other clubs have kicked up a stink about them getting an early PP.
Last year they cried foul, Bevo even said we can't compromise the draft.
Seems it is a different case when we are not involved.

:clap:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:33 pm 
formerly BlueRob

bondiblue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
ferdinand wrote:
Why do you think he's a list clogger? He'd comfortably be in our best 22.

27 next year ... makes lots of mistakes. C+ Grade player who will stop younger and potentially more talented players from getting a game.

If we wanted to go down that path we should have kept Daisy.

Ellis is much quicker than what Daisy was at 26yo.

Daisy would be turning 33yo in 2020.
Ellis would be turning 27yo in 2020.

Huge difference. One in his prime the other on his last legs.
Are you sure you would go with Daisy?

Its really about the Carlton policy now where they want the younger players getting a game. Thats why they moved on Daisy (who was just starting to hit his straps).
Ellis makes too many mistakes and there are younger players in the team that he would hold back if we recruited him.

Ellis like Sam Gray is a list cloggers. We have gone down this path before. If we are going to take players from other clubs ... the minimum requirement is that they are a B Grade player.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

DocSherrin III wrote:
keogh wrote:

Both come pretty cheap. These aren't the type of contracts you should be worrying about. Cuningham needs to get on the park a bit more, but we've seen what he can do when he's fit. If he gets some consistency...we have a beauty on our hands until age 25.
Cunners wouldn't be making the league average ($371k) which would be pretty rare for a player entering year 5 and a pick 23. He'll get $5k a game plus associated bonuses.

Gibbo's contract for 2020 is an $80k base salary, $4k senior match payments and a $12k bonus if he plays more than 11 games.

To me money isn’t the ultimate panacea
To me it’s ridiculously in equable given what they have produced
Even when fit Cuningham goes missing too much in games
It comes down to players being overrated because of how they were rated as juniors and it works the other way such as in Gibbons case

From what I saw this year Gibbons is a better footballer
Cuningham could be really good and he hasn’t had a good run with injuries but he simply goes missing too much when he is fit
In my view both should have offered 2 year deals

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
It comes down to players being overrated because of how they were rated as juniors and it works the other way such as in Gibbons case

I think you're saying Gibbo should have been added to the main list, but as a SSP rookie we are able to re-sign him as per the current rookie-list rules. It will all pan out better for Gibbo in the long run if his 2020 is equal or better than his 2019.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

DocSherrin III wrote:
keogh wrote:

I think you're saying Gibbo should have been added to the main list, but as a SSP rookie we are able to re-sign him as per the current rookie-list rules. It will all pan out better for Gibbo in the long run if his 2020 is equal or better than his 2019.

Ok
What about Cuningham s output when fit
It’s no greater than what Gibbons produced this year

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
keogh wrote:

Ok
What about Cuningham s output when fit
It’s no greater than what Gibbons produced this year

Lets see.

Good reason to back Cunners in. He's not costing us a bomb and I'd rather take the punt on him than a kid starting from scratch.

Cunners fit is much better than you seem to portray him imo. We all saw what he CAN do this year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
ferdinand wrote:
Why do you think he's a list clogger? He'd comfortably be in our best 22.

27 next year ... makes lots of mistakes. C+ Grade player who will stop younger and potentially more talented players from getting a game.

If we wanted to go down that path we should have kept Daisy.

Ellis is much quicker than what Daisy was at 26yo.

Daisy would be turning 33yo in 2020.
Ellis would be turning 27yo in 2020.

Huge difference. One in his prime the other on his last legs.
Are you sure you would go with Daisy?

Its really about the Carlton policy now where they want the younger players getting a game. Thats why they moved on Daisy (who was just starting to hit his straps).
Ellis makes too many mistakes and there are younger players in the team that he would hold back if we recruited him.

Ellis like Sam Gray is a list cloggers. We have gone down this path before. If we are going to take players from other clubs ... the minimum requirement is that they are a B Grade player.

I think you're a bit bias and really harsh with your grading.
Ellis doesnt make too many mistakes as you suggest.
The proof is in the pot he earns week in week out for the last 5 years.
He's a Premiership player in a team with depth.
Do you really think he would be selected if he was the liability you say he is. Get real.

If we could get Ellis the kids can ply their craft and develop like most kids do in the twos.
Less stress on the kids, and they are not living under the microscope of supporters who expect them to be much much better than they are despite their selection in the draft.

Carlton has been trying to get games into the kids, because they have had no choice given the unbalanced state of their age profile.
Ellis fills the age void we have. We actually need him to improve our best 22 next year.
I don't want our seniors to be a kindergarten in 2020. We need more experience and stronger bodies in the seniors.

I want wins next year in the AFL and development in the VFL, with rewards for good form in the AFL. Period.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

Coniglio is off the table, signed 7 year contract with GWS
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/08/27/ ... ng-future/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 pm 
Robert Walls

Just curious on peoples thoughts, given we should be very flush for cash - I see no real reason not to pay out a few kids who dont seem likely - Mcgreadie (who i had real high hopes for) and Pulson in particular.

I can't see a reason to not turn their positions over - i'd rather a mature foot soldier on the list to add genuine depth.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

thegezman wrote:
Just curious on peoples thoughts, given we should be very flush for cash - I see no real reason not to pay out a few kids who dont seem likely - Mcgreadie (who i had real high hopes for) and Pulson in particular.

I can't see a reason to not turn their positions over - i'd rather a mature foot soldier on the list to add genuine depth.

No problem with that if they have no upside, and I too have high hopes for MacReadie.

Now Cogs is gone we could use that money to buy a couple contracts at $700,000 each, which would be 2 very good B+ players.

That would get us Macreadies and poulsons salray plus the war chest which is reportedly big enough to target 2 of Cognilio, Papley and Grundy.

Plenty to spend on mature players now gezman.

I am sure SOS has plenty of fires burning in the top 8 teams but they are playing finals.

Papley is probably in play because their season is over.
Crouch is another not playing. Haven't heard much about of late.
Tippa would be a great get. Just sayin'. ... to shit The Druggies. Offer him $700K.

I'm glad Cogs has decided GWS if he want going to pick Carlton.
Done dusted.

I wonder who else is in play as a target for SOS from the top 8 teams other than Ellis as a FA?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 118  Next