Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:17 am 
Rod Ashman

I reckon the biggest source of improvement next year will be amongst the existing list.

I’m hoping for a fair bit of natural progression amongst the likes of Dow, SPS, Setterfield, Fisher, Cunningham, McGovern, C.Curnow and McKay. And hopefully, O’Brien.
I’m expecting Walsh to maintain his high standard and others to maintain their recent gains eg Weitering, Casboult, Jack. And Docherty to play a solid season probably more so than a star for his first year back.
I’d like to see Stocker, TDK, maybe Ben Silvagni break into the team - Stocker hopefully to embed himself in the team, TDK & Ben probably more a bit of a taste at AFL level here and there. We need to find out next season whether we believe TDK will be the ruckman to take over from Kruezer - otherwise, we’ll need to recruit a no.1 ruckman at the end of next year.
And we’ll find out whether Kennedy, Macreadie, Lang and the like have a future at Carlton.

And then on top of all that, hopefully we bring in another couple of players who lift the overall level of the team whether that be Papley, Martin, Coniglio or a top 10 draft pick.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Thomas/Pickett/Fasolo/Lobbe/Garlett and then one of Kerr or Phillips - think Phillips is the better player, but would rather the extra opportunities afforded to TDK, and using a late pick on a recycled ruck.
Keep all rookies bar LeBois, and 50/50 on DeLuca.

Suspect it'll be Coniglio or Brad Hill as the big signing, and Brandon Ellis also.

Trade 39, 44 and 67 to Port for 27 and 66 who need the points for Mead F/S.
Pick 8 for Papley and 23.

23, 27 and 66 in the draft, use 66 nominally or otherwise on the retread ruck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Thomas/Pickett/Fasolo/Lobbe/Garlett and then one of Kerr or Phillips - think Phillips is the better player, but would rather the extra opportunities afforded to TDK, and using a late pick on a recycled ruck.

Suspect it'll be Coniglio or Brad Hill as the big signing, and Brandon Ellis also.

Nah. Use 66 on a gun midfielder.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:47 pm 
Horrie Clover

SurreyBlue wrote:
I truly don’t understand the ‘trade Fisher’ push. Really is quite disturbing.

I think they are mistaking Zac Fisher for Leigh Fisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:06 pm 
John Nicholls

Rexy wrote:
Run and skills - that’s all I ask from SOS

He was a great player Rexy but I think his time has been and gone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Easy.
Sorted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:49 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Got a bad feeling we won't get Cogs, Paps or Marto.

We will end up with list clogger Ellis.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:56 pm 
Ken Hands

Why do you think he's a list clogger? He'd comfortably be in our best 22.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:17 pm 
formerly BlueRob

ferdinand wrote:

27 next year ... makes lots of mistakes. C+ Grade player who will stop younger and potentially more talented players from getting a game.

If we wanted to go down that path we should have kept Daisy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

windy wrote:
Crusader wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
I truly don’t understand the ‘trade Fisher’ push. Really is quite disturbing.

Agree. He would have absolutely zero currency at the trade table.

We will revisit this post in a years time champ.

Fisher would want a reversal in his form trending.
He was a passenger in 2019 imo.

The lack of depth saved him from being dropped.

No one would say his was a star, nor would they say he had a good year.
Does anyone think Fisher had a good year?

He was my Bolter for 2019 and he and I failed miserably.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
ferdinand wrote:

27 next year ... makes lots of mistakes. C+ Grade player who will stop younger and potentially more talented players from getting a game.

If we wanted to go down that path we should have kept Daisy.

Ellis is much quicker than what Daisy was at 26yo.

Daisy would be turning 33yo in 2020.
Ellis would be turning 27yo in 2020.

Huge difference. One in his prime the other on his last legs.
Are you sure you would go with Daisy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

I like your thinking.
Do you talk to SOS?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I'd rather Thomas get a rookie spot than Deluca. He's a trier but he doesn't have enough AFL qualities

Yep.

For mine Deluca is in the too small body group with Fisher (keeper, if he can get back to 2018 form) and OBrien (I expect OBrien to change body shape by 2021-2 keeper).

Thomas gives us Thomas. Play him if he's in top form or leads and develops in the reserves.

Thomas isn't going to be here.
Get used to it.
DeLuca was one of the few that stood up against Geelong.

He did, but then he got pushed over quite easily.

I don't put too much weighting on our season with Teague, especially at Kardinia Park.
But, what I saw on Saturday was men against boys. Fisher DeLuca OBrien didn't stand a chance.
SPS looked light weight against Geelong...maybe it was the rain and the collision course it set the game.
Simmo looked small, but he knows where to put his body and doesnt shirk an issue. He should get more frees than he does.
You can't have too many fly weights . They are not the mosquito fleet.

Post subject: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:13 am 
Robert Walls

Ooh 1 yearies for Gibbons and Goddard. Well done, men.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:42 am 
formerly Fevola

Rookie contract for Gibbo is a little surprising. We would have to have an injury for him to play.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:55 am 
Ken Hands

Drewgirl wrote:
Rookie contract for Gibbo is a little surprising. We would have to have an injury for him to play.

That's no longer the case I think, rookies can play any time, don't need to be an injury replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:00 am 
formerly Fevola

Oh if that’s the case that’s good. Luckily Gibbo was happy to sign a rookie contact, he became one of our best 22 I think. Hopefully they have someone better coming in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:16 am 
Bob Chitty

Gibbo unlucky not to be elevated to the senior list on a two year deal. Happy he is staying around though. He couldn’t have done much more this year. 21 games, 16 goals and likely around the top 10 in our BnF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:48 am 
Rod McGregor

Agree, i thought two years and on the main list would be the outcome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:00 am 
Robert Walls

Improved – Players who are better than they were 12 months ago
Jacob Weitering - been better than Talia who is in the AA squad.
Sam Walsh - best first year I have seen. Even in the round 23 dead rubber, just does not stop. Is a footballing animal who will not lie down in a contest ever.
SPS - found his spot I think. Durable, started to find the right option when disposing and helped create out of the back half. Pretty good defensively, but still an area to work on.
Levi Casboult - This post twelve months ago in the previous version of this thread I was trading him for a third round pick. I was wrong.
Liam Jones - Yes, had a chunk of games out, but was even better this year when playing.
Harry McKay - A lot of different opinions on this bloke, but I think many are reliving the Josh Kennedy time warp here. Get a set shot routine and more team orientated when he has to be and he will be a great duo with Charlie.
Marc Murphy - If only for the second half of the season. rekindled his ability. Great turn around under Teague
A Schumacher - Got a game, not sure he will leap frog anyone in the back line to become a regular though.
Lochie O'Brien - Finally doing more in some games. Now he needs to start doing it weekly. Consistency is his next challenge.
Lachie Plowman - Durable, consistent, does a lot of jobs on players he shouldn't have to because of the injury to others. The potting of him has certainly dissipated.
Michael Gibbons - Improved as the season went on, keeps getting to contests, reliable disposal.
Jack Silvagni - Turned the corner from fringe to best 22. A real utility whose hands started to get cleaner.
Will Setterfield - Played every game except for suspension. Would be a massive boost to his body confidence. Had a couple of standout games showcasing his ability. Very happy with where he got to this year injury free.

You're Excused – Players whose output is in line with what they were doing 12 months ago
Patrick Cripps
Ed Curnow
Kade Simpson
Nic Newman
All excellent all year.
Matt Kennedy - showed enough forward, not sure where he ends up though next year. Looked slow if he ever had to change direction. Could be a Josh Caddy type but makes our foward line slow.
Matt Kreuzer - all heart, but we desperately need a replacement. Some weeks hes was great, then he can get soundly beaten the next. Always misses a few games with injury.
Hugh Goddard (R) - Will probably get another year. Serviceable backup.

Injured – Injured for too many games to assess whether they have improved, stalled or gone backwards
Charlie Curnow - Just never got into the season. No change in my opinion that he can be there with Cripps and Walsh as an absolute A-grade player
Caleb Marchbank - grass allergies. Aim to play more than 15 games.
David Cuningham - same as Marchbank. Surprised they gave him 3 years. Too many in my opinion
Tom De Koning - I saw virtually no VFL, but it was disappointing that he got injured when he did.
Sam Docherty - Fingers crossed.
Mitch McGovern - Pie free summer.
Tom Williamson - Seems like one of those 'what could have been' players whose ability isn't matched with their durability.

Stalled – No improvement, but haven’t gone backwards
Pat Kerr - 5th in line at both ends of the ground. Can't see him jumping the queue.
Harrison Macreadie - Showed some ability, but stalled in his development.
Darcy Lang - inconsistent effort week to week, doesn't get it much, does one or two nice things in a game but really just a fringe player.
Andrew Philips - Still not a reliable ruckman. Had a couple of good games but usually doesn't do enough after the ruck contest which isn't viable in 2020 for a ruckman.

Gone backwards – Not as good as they were 12 months ago
Zac Fisher - Boy, nobody struggled more from the coach change. First 8 rounds were good, then did not work into his new role at all. Big challenge for himself and the club to figure out where on the ground he plays in 2020
Paddy Dow - Second year blues. I had SPS and Weitering here last year. Don't write kids off.
Cameron Polson - If he didn't have a contract, he'd be gone.

Thanks and goodbye – Please make room on the list for someone else
Dale Thomas - Great year, will be top 10 in the BnF, great form the last two years. Very good career. Thanks.
Kym LeBois (R)
Jarrod Garlett
Alex Fasolo
Matthew Lobbe

Keep developing in the 2's
Matthew Cottrell
Josh Deluca
Matthew Owies
Finbar O'Dwyer
Ben Silvagni
Liam Stocker

All the following players would want to have injury free significant years or show real improvement next year to remain on the list in 2020.
Fisher, Lang, Cuningham, Philips. I fear Williamson will end up on the injured scrap heap, and Docherty is a loose bit of turf away from a career ending knee injury.

Biggest concerns above are Dow and Fisher. I am a big believer in Dow after watching his first season. Was tried as a half forward to his detriment and now seems unsure of himself. Has lost confidence in his kicking which was already a shortcoming. Is still only 20 so plenty of time. My hope is he is being groomed to take Murphy's spot in the midfield and allowed to continue the development and natural ability he showed in his first year. Fisher dropped off a cliff when Teague took over. I'm not even sure where his best position is now, and if Cuningham gets his body right, or a Jack Martin comes in, where does he sit on the ground?

After going through the list, even more adamant the recruits need to be in order of priority
1 x Mid
1 x Small Forward
1 x Ruck

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 118  Next