Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Paddycripps wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Must say I'm not so keen on the idea on giving up 2 first rounders for a "big fish" midfielder. As far as I'm concerned there are currently too many "unknowns" on our list and we don't want another Judd scenario where we sell the farm only to make the bottom part of the final 8. For example:
- Will Charlie Curnow fully recover?
- Can SPS move out of defence to midfield or half forward?
- Can Kemp and Philp develop into quality mids?
- What's the go with Stocker?
- Will Dow and O'Brien make the grade?
- Can Marchbank get on the park? If not can McGovern become an effective defender?

If the answers to the above questions prove to be mostly positive then I will be happy for us to go all out to land a "big fish" at the end of next year however I don't think it would be wise to do so right now (always happy to land a good free agent however :smile: ).

Talk about over analysing.
We need quality experience onball pure and simple.

Sounds like 2007 all over again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 pm 
Bruce Comben

Humpers wrote:
Must say I'm not so keen on the idea on giving up 2 first rounders for a "big fish" midfielder. As far as I'm concerned there are currently too many "unknowns" on our list and we don't want another Judd scenario where we sell the farm only to make the bottom part of the final 8. For example:
- Can Marchbank get on the park? If not can McGovern become an effective defender?

If the answers to the above questions prove to be mostly positive then I will be happy for us to go all out to land a "big fish" at the end of next year however I don't think it would be wise to do so right now (always happy to land a good free agent however :smile: ).

This is a shopping list of what keeps me up at night

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:09 am 
Rod Ashman

Humpers wrote:

Shivers. With that type of thinking we will become comatose and never make a decision on anything. Have to assume all will be good and the few if any that don't make it get covered elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

carntheblues wrote:
Have to assume all will be good and the few if any that don't make it get covered elsewhere.

That was the approach we took in 2007.
The reality is that we still have many holes on our list - more so than the Lions when they went after Lochie Neale.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:36 pm 
Bert Deacon

no to give way 2 first rounders for a mid ,we have to many holes still to fill and also we should learn from ess/hawks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jamespul65 wrote:
no to give way 2 first rounders for a mid ,we have to many holes still to fill and also we should learn from ess/hawks

Yep.
Essendon* are mugs for giving 2 first rounders for Shiel and likewise Hawthorn for O'Meara and then Wingard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pm 
Ken Hands

What if the 2 first rounders were Dow and O’Brien?

Post subject: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

The beauty of this time of year is that we can get any gun player for “our first plus <insert fringe player(s) here>”.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:23 am 
Rod Ashman

ferdinand wrote:
Keep them. See Grigg.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:10 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

According to article in foxsports both Crippa and H looking to extend their contracts with us. Only hold up is waiting on afl on what the new salary cap will be.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:07 pm 
Banned

ferdinand wrote:

Should be no rush to rid of them.. they have raw talent that have lost the plot a little.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:49 pm 
Bruce Comben

malbi wrote:
ferdinand wrote:
Keep them. See Grigg.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grigg was 10 times the player they are.
Also, he wanted to go. I’m guessing Dow and O’Brien would just be happy for a gig at this stage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

ferdinand wrote:

It would mean that we need to draft better the following year or perhaps consider some "moneyball" trades. The worst thing to do would be giving away 2 first rounders for a "big fish" resulting in us reaching a ceiling of 6th-8th position.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Both Dow and LOB were given opportunities late in 2020, and neither took the chances presented to them. Granted it must be hard to slot straight into the seniors after having been out for so long, but with the same token is a concern that neither of these boys looked anywhere near the pace after having been at the club for a few years now.

I give LOB a bit of rope as the entire team stunk it up against Adel so it must have been tough trying to get a kick when your mates can't get the ball.

Look at the end of the day the club need to make these picks pay off or try and trade them for some semblance of a return. I am sure Teague etc will have a fair idea by now whether these two can make it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

rhino27 wrote:
According to article in foxsports both Crippa and H looking to extend their contracts with us. Only hold up is waiting on afl on what the new salary cap will be.

Get it done! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I love jimmae

http://jimmae.epizy.com/dreamboard.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:56 pm 
Bob Chitty

Paddycripps wrote:
Both Dow and LOB were given opportunities late in 2020, and neither took the chances presented to them. Granted it must be hard to slot straight into the seniors after having been out for so long, but with the same token is a concern that neither of these boys looked anywhere near the pace after having been at the club for a few years now.

I give LOB a bit of rope as the entire team stunk it up against Adel so it must have been tough trying to get a kick when your mates can't get the ball.

Look at the end of the day the club need to make these picks pay off or try and trade them for some semblance of a return. I am sure Teague etc will have a fair idea by now whether these two can make it or not.

You should give LOB a bit of rope but not primarily for that reason. He played 12 aside scratch matches for two months after a 6 week break. He really didn't have much chance to pick up AFL pace this year.
I'm not sure he'll make it but he needs a better go next year - proper vfl games at a minimum.
A bit similar for Dow but he did get a fraction more of a go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 am 
Robert Walls

Paddycripps wrote:

In which universe are 2 consecutive games (Dow) and 1 game (O'Brien) considered an 'opportunity'?

Dropping Dow, O'Brien, Philp, Honey and Cottrell this year was 'low hanging fruit' for Teague

Didn't have the balls to drop/manage many others...we all know who could've been dropped or managed that weren't

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:39 am 
Stephen Kernahan

99prelim wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

In which universe are 2 consecutive games (Dow) and 1 game (O'Brien) considered an 'opportunity'?

Dropping Dow, O'Brien, Philp, Honey and Cottrell this year was 'low hanging fruit' for Teague

Didn't have the balls to drop/manage many others...we all know who could've been dropped or managed that weren't

Bang!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

99=yes yes yes..

Yep the young boys had plenty of games to prove themselves..
Didn’t realise at the ripe old age of 20 just fu&k them off because they are not as good as !@$@/3!!
People need to grow up and stop expecting these young kids to dominate straight away or within 3 years..
How many blokes were given games this year because of the name, McGovern, Casboult, Betts, Newnes, SPS, Gibbons and so on..

Please give these YOUNG kids time....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 118  Next