Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sos in his first year focused on key positions and got McKay Weitering and Mc Kay
They all look good and big blokes take time

Thereafter he focused on the midfield
Early days but I’m not sold on any of the recruits except obviously Walsh
Interesting yesterday that the pick we gave to GWS to get Kennedy who has shown nothing as a midfielder becomes Sam Taylor who looks like being a quality key defender

The culmination of these sort of trades can be significant in the negative in the long run

In SOS s 4 th draft he lost the plot
The Mc Govern trade still mystifies me
Trade potentially 3 quality players when he have had our worst season on record for a guy who doesn’t
fit our needs has done little in his career and to top it off has to go off to the fat farm
McAdam is the sort of player we are crying out for
A small forward who is quick
By the way he had a decent final series in the SANFL
and with Betts obviously going will probably play AFL next year

Setterfield like Kennedy was brought to the club as an inside mid and like Kennedy cost us a bit in picks
Like Kennedy he has done nothing as an inside mid
He played mainly on a wing and as mister fixit in attack and defence

Our future midfield is a concern after Cripps and Walsh
We lack leg speed
One of my biggest criticisms of Silvagnis recruiting has been the rejects he recruited to top up the list
He even admitted on footy classified that were not seen as future players just temporary
More emphasis should of been placed on getting some young late developers from WA SA and the VFL
Rather than Mullett Lobbe etc
Fasolo @#$%&! me dead
Lazy @#$%&! recruiting

And if you look at the restricted free agents on offer this year Cogs is the only star available
Clearly from under paying the list SOS had him earmarked a while ago and guess what
He is from GWS and it’s the old Carlton way
Pay them heaps more and they come

And he hasn’t so what does he do now with around pick 9 and 2 third rounders

You need to bat 8 and 9 deep in the midfield to be a top 4 team
The jury is out on the future midfield after Cripps and Walsh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:15 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

murraycray wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
To be fair I still believe Keogh won us the 79 grand final ... :razz:

'81 ?

‘79 he didn’t play in the 81 ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'm so tired

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:50 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

We need a good tagger to take over from Ed.

To beat the best teams we need to shut down their main playmaker.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

your jury is out not mine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:57 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

just saying Ed can't go forever

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:

24 years old. Couldn't get a game at a club that was dropping players left, right and centre.
Played 16 SANFL games and was named in the best 6 players for his team once. :lol:
What was SOS thinking? Let's sack him now.

You whinge about Setterfield and say he's shown nothing Keogh. I tell you what, he's shown a lot more at AFL level than Shane McAdam has and he's 3 years younger.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

Injured a fair bit
Played alright in the finals
First year in the AFL system
Is quick small forward which is what we need
Isn’t fat
It depends on your point of BV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:

24 years old. Couldn't get a game at a club that was dropping players left, right and centre.
Played 16 SANFL games and was named in the best 6 players for his team once. :lol:
What was SOS thinking? Let's sack him now.

You whinge about Setterfield and say he's shown nothing Keogh. I tell you what, he's shown a lot more at AFL level than Shane McAdam has and he's 3 years younger.
Thanks BV, I was wondering what happened to this hidden gem/gun that we 'traded away'... So much hype earlier in the year (last year)

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Injured a fair bit
Played alright in the finals
First year in the AFL system
Is quick small forward which is what we need
Isn’t fat
It depends on your point of BV

No. It's more about the facts, Keogh. They'll always exceed a "point of view".
If Shane McAdam goes on to become a high quality AFL player, good luck to him but he'll be running around next season in the SANFL as a 25 year old player with 1 game out of 16 named in his teams best players.
That's not a resume' that's going to keep SOS up at night. I agree we are desperate for a small crumbing forward but McAdam isn't the man IMHO.

I don't understand why you continually complain about what we don't have and continually whinge about what we do have.
You have Setterfield in your sights but the bloke is coming off an ACL. He still managed to be top 10 out of Rising star eligible players in the AFL for kicks, clearances, metres gained, tackles inside 50, disposals and inside 50's. You say we recruited him as an inside mid, well perhaps in 2020 or 2021 he'll move into that role. At the moment he needs to get a pre-season under his belt and build a bit of size.
At 21 years of age, he's still got plenty of time ahead of him. Much more than Shane McAdam.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

Setterfield cost us pick 43 and a future second rounder
He came to us as an inside mid but has shown nothing in that regard
Agree or disagree
McAdam was handed to us by the AFL for nothing
As posters have said
Don’t put the pencil through Setterfield yet
Same applies to McAdam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

Oh by the way that second rounder will be somewhere in the early 20 S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

ColourMan wrote:
keogh wrote:
Here is a snap shot from last nights game in regards to Richmond’s lesser lights
They all played their role effectively
Castagna 2017 rookie elevation
Short 2016 rookie elevation
Soldo 2017 rookie elevation
Lambert 2015 rookie elevation
Astbury pick 35 2009 draft
Graham pick 53 2016 draft
Broad pick 67 2015 draft

On top of this Grimes and Houli were both pre season picks

It’s this sort of recruiting that makes you a top team
In his time so far has SOS jagged any gems from nothing
Gibbons yes but can’t think of many others
Sure they gave up a lot to get Presty and Lynch was a gift called free agency

But every year the top teams are littered with guys who have been drafted from obscurity

Do the research
Richmond won last night without their best defender Riewoldt had a shocker as did Cotchin

West Coast won it without 3 top ten picks last year in Nick Nat Shepherd and Gaff

Our recruiting under SOS and Brodie is not good enough compared to other teams
like Richmond and Clarke
In order to get Martin we will probably have to part with 2 picks and because of what our recruiting team did last year that means a future pick
All for another bloke who is talented with big wraps but up to this point hasn’t done a lot to back it up
Like McGovern

As I have said before the most important person at a footy club is your head of recruiting

You left out Liam Baker who we chased this year...

And Jack Ross and Sydney Stack who are both better than Baker

And as for Jack Graham, BB wanted him a few picks before the tigers took him, SOS won the argument and took Macreadie

Then again, BB seriously wanted Josh Dunkley, he lost that argument too, and Ed Richards, well you know how that went... our midfield depth wouldn’t be as shallow as it is

From last night’s game, the Cats turned Darcy Lang into Gryan Miers

Good points here
And Kennedy turns into Taylor who showed a little bit yesterday
Can’t see golden boy Plowman doing that in a Prelim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

ColourMan wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
I do have to agree with Keogh on one thing though, that we still lack a lot of depth and especially in the middle and you can only look to the head coach (who is gone) and the recruiting manager to blame. I'm not on the bashing SOS bandwagon, but at some point the blame will eventually have to fall somewhere unless we improve on our midfield depth.

As I have said before, this trade period we should be looking for multiple fringe players with potential, like Martin. To maximise our trades and remain in the early part of the drafts. And as Keogh has pointed out, we don't need to go all Geelong and get big names, selling the farm or future 1st rounders to rise back up the ladder. Richmond's fringe players and rookie elevations have proven that it's not needed. We have a good talented core already, we just need help around the edges like Richmond has done and players in the right age bracket.

Spent two hours at Ikon Park with a member of the Executive Leadership Team prior to the start of the season....

After almost 20 top 30 picks and over 40 list changes:
- we lack mids and midfield depth, both young talent and experienced mids
- lack small, rebounding defenders (young or otherwise)
- no small forwards
- we haven’t utilised the state leagues/rookie list for untried talent
- so many tall/3rd tall defenders/ forwards when the comp is focused on pressure...
- after all the change over an extended period of time, our list should not have the gaps it does

Just to be clear, this was his personal opinion, not an official club view

Agree on this as well
What are your thoughts those to the contrary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:56 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

You can find small defenders and forwards once you have the core pieces in place. You need to set the foundations first. Keogh is tiresome and his arguments lack integrity because he continually fails to acknowledge the draft and trading success stories (of which there are plenty) and focuses only on negatives

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:49 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:

Agree on this as well

A question to you Keogh. Which recruiter/list manager has assembled a better list in the past 4 years?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Sos in his first year focused on key positions and got McKay Weitering and Mc Kay
They all look good and big blokes take time

Thereafter he focused on the midfield
Early days but I’m not sold on any of the recruits except obviously Walsh
Ienteresting yesterday that the pick we gave to GWS to get Kennedy who has shown nothing as a midfielder becomes Sam Taylor who looks like being a quality key defender

The culmination of these sort of trades can be significant in the negative in the long run

In SOS s 4 th draft he lost the plot
The Mc Govern trade still mystifies me
Trade potentially 3 quality players when he have had our worst season on record for a guy who doesn’t
fit our needs has done little in his career and to top it off has to go off to the fat farm
By the way he had a decent final series in the SANFL
and with Betts obviously going will probably play AFL next year

Setterfield like Kennedy was brought to the club as an inside mid and like Kennedy cost us a bit in picks
Like Kennedy he has done nothing as an inside mid
He played mainly on a wing and as mister fixit in attack and defence

Our future midfield is a concern after Cripps and Walsh
We lack leg speed
One of my biggest criticisms of Silvagnis recruiting has been the rejects he recruited to top up the list
He even admitted on footy classified that were not seen as future players just temporary
More emphasis should of been placed on getting some young late developers from WA SA and the VFL
Rather than Mullett Lobbe etc
Fasolo @#$%&! me dead
Lazy @#$%&! recruiting

And if you look at the restricted free agents on offer this year Cogs is the only star available
Clearly from under paying the list SOS had him earmarked a while ago and guess what
He is from GWS and it’s the old Carlton way
Pay them heaps more and they come

And he hasn’t so what does he do now with around pick 9 and 2 third rounders

You need to bat 8 and 9 deep in the midfield to be a top 4 team
The jury is out on the future midfield after Cripps and Walsh

As you say Keogh, it’s early days.

Re no. 43 - Give me a 2 game player that then undergoes a knee reco and tears it apart. How could it also be true that Setterfield is being developed and performed a role.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:

Agree on this as well

A question to you Keogh. Which recruiter/list manager has assembled a better list in the past 4 years?

The previous GWS list manager ... :razz:

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:40 am 
Geoff Southby

As I said about Setterfield he was brought to the club as an inside mid and he clearly isn’t that type of player
Neither is Kennedy
You need to have at least 8 or 9 going through the midfield

I would say that in the last 4 years a number of clubs have recruited better than us
I’ll give you one
Richmond
What Clarke has done is find players with late picks and rookie listed players plus pre season picks such as Stack. Have a look at the list
Blue Vain question for you
Give me one player other than Gibbons who SOS has recruited from these areas that is any good
And let’s not forget
Gibbons was an after thought because Bugg yet another GWS player thought it was all too hard and gave it up
Every year the Herald Sun lists the premiership team and where they came from
It’s interesting because so many come from those rookie pre season late pick scenarios
Sos so far has failed to deliver in these areas
What he has delivered is a bunch of older bodied recycled spuds from other clubs particularly from GWS
To top up the list of which many are gone already
On top of this I would of personally picked Pickett over Deluca
Pickett has far more upside and would add to our midfield depth which is highly questionable
This inability to find players that arnt a top 30 pick has lead to a lack of depth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:22 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
As I said about Setterfield he was brought to the club as an inside mid and he clearly isn’t that type of player
Neither is Kennedy
You need to have at least 8 or 9 going through the midfield

I would say that in the last 4 years a number of clubs have recruited better than us
I’ll give you one
Richmond
What Clarke has done is find players with late picks and rookie listed players plus pre season picks such as Stack. Have a look at the list
Blue Vain question for you
Give me one player other than Gibbons who SOS has recruited from these areas that is any good
And let’s not forget
Gibbons was an after thought because Bugg yet another GWS player thought it was all too hard and gave it up
Every year the Herald Sun lists the premiership team and where they came from
It’s interesting because so many come from those rookie pre season late pick scenarios
Sos so far has failed to deliver in these areas
What he has delivered is a bunch of older bodied recycled spuds from other clubs particularly from GWS
To top up the list of which many are gone already
On top of this I would of personally picked Pickett over Deluca
Pickett has far more upside and would add to our midfield depth which is highly questionable
This inability to find players that arnt a top 30 pick has lead to a lack of depth

Just to get this right you are bagging SOS for not recruiting a 28yo who hasn't played a game in AFL instead picking a 23yo who is ranked top ten in AFL for tackles inside 50 which we so desperately needed? :screwy:

And somehow every list manager in the AFL passed on Stack in the draft, but a team who finished on top of the ladder and nothing to lose took a chance on him and SOS is a dud?

And further there are absolute guns in the state leagues that we are missing that every team but us is recruiting for nothing?

So many of these in last years draft that you can't name one?

I get that you don't like SOS as list manager, but you are letting your emotions cloud your judgement.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 118  Next