Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

GMCbris wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
So if the list is trimmed to 35 how do you break it down?

12 mids
10 forwards
10 defenders
3 rucks

Our current list (positions according to the CFC website):

Mids:
Murphy
Cripps
Walsh
Martin
E. Curnow
Dow
Fisher
Setterfield
Newnes
O'Brien
Kemp
Philp
Ramsay
Honey
Cottrell
(15)

Forwards
C. Curnow
McKay
Betts
McGovern
J. Silvagni
Gibbons
Casboult
Kennedy
Cunninham
Phillips
Lang
Polson
O'Dwywer
Owies

(14)

Rucks
Kreuzer
De Koning
Pittonet
(3)

Defenders
Weitering
Jones
Docherty
SPS
Simpson
Plowman
Marchbank
Stocker
Newman
Williamson
B. Silvagni
Macreadie
Goddard

(13)

I've put probable outs in red, and possible retirements in green.

I'll admit when I read that the teams could (maybe, possibly, would) need to reduce in size I thought, yer, I can see that, that will save some money.

But looking at it like this ^

Unless they drop 2 players off the field, which I know has been discussed for a few years, I cant see who it could work. There just isnt enough cover for the injuries, and the kids who are developing/learning to be AFL players.

If you get injuries, where do we pull the reserves from?

I would hate so see the day where we need to play Cas as a midfielder due to injuries (not putting it past the big fella, he fills our holes nicely everywhere else - but you get the point)

We have some very strange times ahead, and I feel we need a few more pieces of a puzzle to connect what the AFL have in mind for the game moving forward.

This is the big problem. Unless there is a feeder comp, reducing the list simply won't work.
I go back to having a stand alone VFL team made up of senior-list players and amateur academy, and F/S U18 and above. It's the only way I can see it if they slash the soft cap.
IMO, the decision they make will need to be right or they will just create a dynasty for the really well off financially clubs like Collingwood, Hawthorn, WCE, Adelaide and Geelong with its home ground generating revenue.
I can't see all 18 teams being around in 3 years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Not sure if I have said this already but one would have to think Ben Silvagni might be in trouble if the list is clipped. I cannot imagine he is in the top 95% of the players on the list right now. And I don't think the club's new management hold much sentimentality for the family bloodlines that permeate the list. It would be ironic if we lose one SOS and bring in another one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

BSOS could be an important player given the constant injuries to our kpp's.

There's plenty of other fat to trim IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Not sure if I have said this already but one would have to think Ben Silvagni might be in trouble if the list is clipped. I cannot imagine he is in the top 95% of the players on the list right now. And I don't think the club's new management hold much sentimentality for the family bloodlines that permeate the list. It would be ironic if we lose one SOS and bring in another one.

Nah

easy to fit BSOS into 35

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The more I watch other teams the more I'm convinced our list is badly imbalanced, overloaded with talls/ non 'runners'. SOS did have a fascination with the big boys, and I reckon it's hurting us.

Levi
McGovern
Harry
Charlie
Kreuzer
Pittonet
De Koning
Jones
Weitering
Plowman
Kemp
Marchbank
Macreadie
Silvagni x 2
Goddard
Moore
Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:44 am 
Banned

Jordan Gallucci and Brayden Fiorini coming out of contract.

Throw what we can at Papley and list will look pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

I would rate our midfield group in the bottom 3 of the league, no surprise we keep finding ourselves in the bottom 3.

Cripps then Walsh then ????????

I believe our Forwards and Backs are better than a bottom 3 finish. Papley and a fit Curnow would be a very good forward line.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:26 pm 
Ken Hunter

Papley should not be our priority and the cost for him is better spent on a bloody midfielder.
There is no use having another small forward, if you cannot win the bloody ball.
So frustrating.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue4ever wrote:
I would rate our midfield group in the bottom 3 of the league, no surprise we keep finding ourselves in the bottom 3.

Cripps then Walsh then ????????

I believe our Forwards and Backs are better than a bottom 3 finish. Papley and a fit Curnow would be a very good forward line.

yep, and instead of building midfield depth we seem to have targeted the big fish and come away empty handed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

It's not like sos didn't try.

In past 4 drafts, we have drafted

SPS
Fisher
Dow
Lob
Walsh
Stocker
Philp

7 top 20 Picks

For whatever reason none of them except Walsh played midfield in round 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:

SPS
Fisher
Dow
Lob
Walsh
Stocker
Philp

7 top 20 Picks

I don't think high draft picks are the issue here. It's the fact everyone wants results now and they're pretty much either kids or not the body type to put on size to be competitive at the coal face playing against men.
SOS should've put more value on picking up B+ grade mids from other teams to help some of these kids develop and be less exposed.
And yes, I know we tried to get some guns from GWS but I think the bar was set too high and a bit one dimensional (mainly for marketing purposes). A Zak Jones or even an Ed Langdon would've been sufficient enough to make a noticeable difference in the middle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:07 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:

SPS
Fisher
Dow
Lob
Walsh
Stocker
Philp

7 top 20 Picks

I don't think high draft picks are the issue here. It's the fact everyone wants results now and they're pretty much either kids or not the body type to put on size to be competitive at the coal face playing against men.
SOS should've put more value on picking up B+ grade mids from other teams to help some of these kids develop and be less exposed.
And yes, I know we tried to get some guns from GWS but I think the bar was set too high and a bit one dimensional (mainly for marketing purposes). A Zak Jones or even an Ed Langdon would've been sufficient enough to make a noticeable difference in the middle.

Yep, it's as much about midfield depth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

Yep agree with that. Jones / Langdon type would help

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:05 pm 
Geoff Southby

All we can hope is that we win enough games this year to keep Cripps and we have another crack at some senior bodies at the end of season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:

SPS
Fisher
Dow
Lob
Walsh
Stocker
Philp

7 top 20 Picks

Setterfield Kennedy Wiley Palmer Lang Smedts Lamb Pickett Deluca

He had a fair crack at a few the fact that Bolton didn't play them whilst the others developed might be more the point. I know they are not B+ but they were all capable of midfield chop out

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

I know SWFA about the NBA but since watching The Last Dance I'm a couch expert. :donk:

I think we need this guy.

Never heard of him before today but get him out of retirement. Cat B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_UphWCvkj4

He's just brilliant.

Sorry just adding some amusement to a dreary thread. I promise the vid will make you smile. :lol: :lol:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

Cazzesman wrote:
I know SWFA about the NBA but since watching The Last Dance I'm a couch expert. :donk:

He's just brilliant.

Sorry just adding some amusement to a dreary thread. I promise the vid will make you smile. :lol: :lol:

Regards Cazzesman

Incredible passer, the very last pass behind the back and off the elbow to Lafrentz is so ridiculous.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

Cazzesman wrote:

He's just brilliant.

Regards Cazzesman

He is a special, special guard.
I would say his teammates would be on the alert more then the opposition. :lol:
Having said that the talls would owe him big time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

SPS
Fisher
Dow
Lob
Walsh
Stocker
Philp

7 top 20 Picks

He had a fair crack at a few the fact that Bolton didn't play them whilst the others developed might be more the point. I know they are not B+ but they were all capable of midfield chop out

I think that's a weak cop out using Bolton as the scape goat for our lack of mature players helping develop the kids. From memory he was under the instruction to get games into the kids and build the young core. The exact opposite of what Teague is doing. Plus out of the players you have highlighted, only 3 are with the club which pretty much says it all. Especially seeing as though they never got a game at another AFL club afterwards. And to be honest I am not sure how Lang or Kennedy are still on our list and they're not even being used as midfielders under Teague for a reason. The only one that will most likely become a B+ midfielder is Setterfield and in 2019 under Bolton (effectively his first full season in the AFL) he played 7 out of a possible 11 games. Also if I recall correctly, he was suspended for two of those 11 games, then returned through the VFL. However I did like Lamb, who did play 18 out of 22 in his last season. But I don't think Bolton had much to do with his removal and we already know that he was hounding SOS for more true mids. Either way I'm sure we both can agree that Kennedy, Wiley, Palmer, Lang, Smedts and even Deluca would not have anywhere near the same impact in the middle to help Cripps vs a Zak Jones type etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

SPS
Fisher
Dow
Lob
Walsh
Stocker
Philp

7 top 20 Picks

I think that's a weak cop out using Bolton as the scape goat for our lack of mature players helping develop the kids. From memory he was under the instruction to get games into the kids and build the young core. The exact opposite of what Teague is doing. Plus out of the players you have highlighted, only 3 are with the club which pretty much says it all. Especially seeing as though they never got a game at another AFL club afterwards. And to be honest I am not sure how Lang or Kennedy are still on our list and they're not even being used as midfielders under Teague for a reason. The only one that will most likely become a B+ midfielder is Setterfield and in 2019 under Bolton (effectively his first full season in the AFL) he played 7 out of a possible 11 games. Also if I recall correctly, he was suspended for two of those 11 games, then returned through the VFL. However I did like Lamb, who did play 18 out of 22 in his last season. But I don't think Bolton had much to do with his removal and we already know that he was hounding SOS for more true mids. Either way I'm sure we both can agree that Kennedy, Wiley, Palmer, Lang, Smedts and even Deluca would not have anywhere near the same impact in the middle to help Cripps vs a Zak Jones type etc.

Agree

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 118  Next