Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:23 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
Problem is that SOS drafted Fisher and SPS as midfielders and neither are playing there.

I reckon SPS should be played up the ground - it's the one thing I fundamentally do not agree with Teague on. I understand they like his ball use of half back, but he isn't a natural defender and his ball use would be just as valuable in the midfield or wing position. He takes the game on, which means a mistake or two a game. Alot less costly up the ground.

Neither playing there and neither being developed to play there.

There's 10 first and second round mids picked in the draft on our list, with what seesm stunted development or opportunity, whilst we watch Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong prove their value through persistence and guidance from the senior players. FMD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Jack

Jack was drafted as a Silvagni rather than as a mid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jezzarules wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
He showed potential but there was a big overreaction to his performance.

Should be exciting in 2022

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Overreaction to TDK was only surpassed by the drooling over NicNat. D'Arcy was creaming his pants at every contest even when our guy (Pit or TDK) clearly won the tap.

Darcy has one every game that he fawns over from start to finish. It's quite odd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

"Big Tom Bell"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:23 pm 
John Nicholls

Blue Vain wrote:
"Big Tom Bell"

Meanwhile Darcey is a "Big Bell End"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:25 pm 
Bert Deacon

when is teague going to say enough and start dropping players not replace when 1 is injured TOUGHER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

kingkerna wrote:
He showed potential but there was a big overreaction to his performance.

Should be exciting in 2022

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

:lol:

Classic.

Why not 2025?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Jack

Serg Silvagni in the team of the century as a ruck rover; that's midfield.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:26 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Jack

If you looked at my original post I was listing those players recruited and groomed as mids. Plus they are available NOW.

JSOS never played mid as a junior nor with CFC until later in his development. Plus he is out injured.

I agree Serge was an old time ruck rover and one of the best (like an old time slow moving tank if you ever saw him live) but what that has to do with supporting an argument that JSOS being recruited as a mid when at that point in time it had never been his position is beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:47 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Jack

If you looked at my original post I was listing those players recruited and groomed as mids. Plus they are available NOW.

JSOS never played mid as a junior nor with CFC until later in his development. Plus he is out injured.

I agree Serge was an old time ruck rover and one of the best (like an old time slow moving tank if you ever saw him live) but what that has to do with supporting an argument that JSOS being recruited as a mid when at that point in time it had never been his position is beyond me.

Sorry.

Was going along with the joke....making odd connections re point about existing mids, just adding another to your list not necessarily drafted as a mid.

Inference. I wasn't supporting any argument, just extending it, but moreso, trying to add humour, and, another layer to the argument, albeit too subtle.

FYI, I know the point you made, and I am not one of the TCers who are at odds with you re players recruited as midfielders. Its a good point.

I've made similar points, and referred to the success Freo have at developing mids drafted at a similar age to ours, just yesterday.

I've been arguing about the shortfalls of our older mids, along with retreads, for the last 2 weeks in case you haven't you noticed? If not ... how do you put it ... is beyond me. :wink:

I was lucky enough and old enough to have seen Serge live, and he was our tank, our Rocky, in an era when that sort of artillery was vital to survive the onfield battle. :fight:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
The only one I query is Moore in front of TDK
Otherwise all good Fisher hasn’t been fit Dow not fit
Philip got a couple of games
H has been in and out
Kennedy was made to earn a spot before coming in
Willo came in for Newman
Pittonet for Kreuz
Injuries to some of our younger players has conspired against us especially Marchbank Dow and Fish
Do need to make hard decisions at the end of the year Kreuz no longer needed
Simpson probably not needed query Eddie and they will retain Murph and Ed Curnow as we don’t have enough midfielders

I seem to be at odds with most TCers about mids.

We have plenty of mids especially young ones. Teague either does not play them or plays them out of position. They are fast as well.

Out of position -

SPS
Fisher
Cunningham

at least they are in the team (when not injured)

Can't get a game -

Dow (been injured I know but let's see)
O'Brien
Honey

that is 6 and only the most obviousl.

You can add Philp to that midfield group (increasing the no. of candidates on your list to 7).

Despite having been tried twice, he was drafted as an inside mid and has express speed. If we need speed, he has it in spades, and showed improvement in his 2nd game.

Freo have backed their kids and their development and are now showing the fruits of this development.

I just hope our old brigade of mids beat Freo's kids this week, because if they don't, it only supports the argument that the future is our kids and we need to invest in their development because we obviously invested heavily in them with high draft picks.

Just looking at the reserves highlights the new look Dow, with the sharp haircut, looks ready to roll through the middle. Fingers crossed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

...and in today's Herald sun ..... and "No", I haven't become an overnight fan of that bias, *favouring, AFL Commission mouthpiece of a rag, I just have access.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3b4b5893b6

Quote:
the Blues will give them games when they deserve it but believe they have a strong balance in a side regularly playing five 30-year-olds but also young talent.

Teague was adamant after the Blues pushed West Coast only to fade out late in the game that the balance was right.

“We will rotate when we need to. We are going to put our best team out there if our players say they are right and we believe they are right,” he said.

“We will just manage it week by week. David Cuningham (calf) might be back. Paddy Dow played really well in our game beforehand, Caleb Marchbank played his first game (since March with a knee injury), Sam Philp, Josh Honey, we have a lot of guys in our team who could comfortably play in our AFL side.”

That last line is what I find a bit baffling. So, who is keeping Dow, or Philp, or Honey out if they could comfortable play in our AFL side? especially if we drafted them to develop and play the next level, let alone our 17th Flag.

We need speed, and either of those 3 offer that.
We are bereft of defensive midfield work, and Philp has shown that quality.

We are developing for the future, so are we developing them all in a 12 v 12 hit out?, and will that be helpful?
If so, why was our mantra in the last 3 years, development, and thereby gifting them games to fast track their development, and now, that they are capable, we are leaving them ALL out?

If the answer is for WINS, then, get us wins, and why the wild 5-7 goal swings you'd expect from a young developing team, when we are playing the 4th oldest team in the AFL? If the oldies (Simmo, Murph, Betts) aren't holding the kids back, then it must be some of the others: Newnes, Gibbons? Just sayin'.

I have a hunch the kids are not being given a fair go, and are expected to be bashing the door down in a 12 v 12 game, but the reality is the MC are waiting for injury to find out where the kids are at, because the MC don't really know, until they find out by accident/ injury forced changes.

This year is a strange year, and whilst finals are not out of the question, I am not so precious about the kids being overlooked, this year.

I am assuming, the MC think the kids will negatively impact the possibility of finals, and that's fair enough, coz I want wins and us to be a Destination club to attract the A grade talent we have been longing for the last 3 years and missing out (Martin nominated us because of Betts), but next year, I expect Simmo, Murph, Newnes, Newman, Gibbons ... to make way for the talented kids we have, let alone the A grade FA/Trade ... and I wont be surprised to see Kemp pushing for selection too; he has a ready made body for the AFL.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:14 pm 
John Nicholls

Dunno if this has been mentioned here, but this past week, Josh Kelly sold an apartment in Sydney he bought only about 6 months ago. Got what he paid for it (but will lose out on stamp duty and agents fees etc.)

Why does one do that?

Maybe his bags are packed and he's coming back to Melbourne..........?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:39 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Jack

He can play mid now when he is not injured.
I think that is where he will eventually make his name.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

You really couldn't blame some of our young guys saying "f$%k this, I can't get a chance here, I'm gone". Things need to change next year. If we were fielding the 4th oldest team in the comp and winning consistently that's one thing, but we aren't. We could be sitting on the bottom of the ladder with only one, maybe two wins if things had played out slightly different for us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
Dunno if this has been mentioned here, but this past week, Josh Kelly sold an apartment in Sydney he bought only about 6 months ago. Got what he paid for it (but will lose out on stamp duty and agents fees etc.)

Why does one do that?

I thought I saw a Carlton jumper on the line at the auction. :roll: a Navy Blue one.

If we have to trade for him, so be it, but lets get Williams as FA too.

What a coup that would be: 2 quick mids who can run 4 quarters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
...and in today's Herald sun ..... and "No", I haven't become an overnight fan of that bias, *favouring, AFL Commission mouthpiece of a rag, I just have access.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3b4b5893b6

Quote:
the Blues will give them games when they deserve it but believe they have a strong balance in a side regularly playing five 30-year-olds but also young talent.

Teague was adamant after the Blues pushed West Coast only to fade out late in the game that the balance was right.

“We will rotate when we need to. We are going to put our best team out there if our players say they are right and we believe they are right,” he said.

“We will just manage it week by week. David Cuningham (calf) might be back. Paddy Dow played really well in our game beforehand, Caleb Marchbank played his first game (since March with a knee injury), Sam Philp, Josh Honey, we have a lot of guys in our team who could comfortably play in our AFL side.”

That last line is what I find a bit baffling. So, who is keeping Dow, or Philp, or Honey out if they could comfortable play in our AFL side? especially if we drafted them to develop and play the next level, let alone our 17th Flag.

We need speed, and either of those 3 offer that.
We are bereft of defensive midfield work, and Philp has shown that quality.

We are developing for the future, so are we developing them all in a 12 v 12 hit out?, and will that be helpful?
If so, why was our mantra in the last 3 years, development, and thereby gifting them games to fast track their development, and now, that they are capable, we are leaving them ALL out?

If the answer is for WINS, then, get us wins, and why the wild 5-7 goal swings you'd expect from a young developing team, when we are playing the 4th oldest team in the AFL? If the oldies (Simmo, Murph, Betts) aren't holding the kids back, then it must be some of the others: Newnes, Gibbons? Just sayin'.

I have a hunch the kids are not being given a fair go, and are expected to be bashing the door down in a 12 v 12 game, but the reality is the MC are waiting for injury to find out where the kids are at, because the MC don't really know, until they find out by accident/ injury forced changes.

This year is a strange year, and whilst finals are not out of the question, I am not so precious about the kids being overlooked, this year.

I am assuming, the MC think the kids will negatively impact the possibility of finals, and that's fair enough, coz I want wins and us to be a Destination club to attract the A grade talent we have been longing for the last 3 years and missing out (Martin nominated us because of Betts), but next year, I expect Simmo, Murph, Newnes, Newman, Gibbons ... to make way for the talented kids we have, let alone the A grade FA/Trade ... and I wont be surprised to see Kemp pushing for selection too; he has a ready made body for the AFL.

First to bb sorry. I like you have been pushing for the kids. Second, we are not going to wing the cup this year so give the youngsters a go and play them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

robertbb wrote:

Why does one do that?

Many are tipping a depression in Sydney apartment prices due to COVID so it could just be smart financial planning (or at least cutting his losses).

Or he's moving to * because that's where everyone's going - it's what everyone wants.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

GreatEx wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Why does one do that?

Many are tipping a depression in Sydney apartment prices due to COVID so it could just be smart financial planning (or at least cutting his losses).

Or he's moving to * because that's where everyone's going - it's what everyone wants.

The cheats will be the first possibly the only ones to get the "vaccine"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Wouldn't mind seeing what it would cost to get Fiorini out of GC.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 118  Next