Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:10 pm 
Wayne Johnston

I don’t think there’s much wrong with our list at all, put any of our players in another club and they’ll thrive. Their lack of consistent performance Is simply a mental and club culture problem, unless we can pump 20 first round picks into the team in a one to two year period the draft is not the solution.

Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:20 pm 
Bert Deacon

so if cripps stays we do a hawthorn /Ess give away draft picks to get quality into the teaM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:37 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jamespul65 wrote:
so if cripps stays we do a hawthorn /Ess give away draft picks to get quality into the teaM

Absolutely.
Need to land a big fish or two.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:15 pm 
Ken Hands

The problem with landing a big fish is that we have been so crap over the last few years no one of any quality has wanted to join us . Martin is the first in a long time. The only thing that will change this is results on the field . We simply must improve and win more games this year for this to happen .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Time for some thought on where our list is at.
Simpson, Betts, Murphy, Jones, Newnes, Ed Curnow, Casboult, Kreuzer arn’ t going to get any better.
The former three will most likely not be there so can the list improve given we clearly are still a bottom six team. Tag Cripps and Docherty out of the game and where done and dusted.
Let’s look at some of players the club has invested in given their ages but also what they have shown and what their ceiling may be
JOS
Probably best suited in a tagging roll with oppositions number one mid. Too slow and lacks height to play forward.
Dow
Still contracted till 2022 hasn’t shown enough. Time is on his side but his lack of awareness and game sense is a concern. Kicking is below standard and like many on our list lacks size.
SPS
Major disappointment. His body shape has not changed. Gets rag dolled too often. Kicking lacks depth.
Fantastic game awareness but he is been wasted in the back half. How much better can he get. Too me he doesn’t seem to want it enough. For a top 10 pick has been average so far
Kennedy
Simply hasn’t been fit enough until this year where he looks in great shape.
Shown a bit up forward but brought to the club as an inside mid which he has to be because he is so slow. For a pick 28 his output has been ordinary. Not a lot of upside
Cripps
Absolute champ but no player should have the burden of carrying the weight of a team on his shoulders given his age. More on him later.
McKay
Injuries and development aside( big guys take time) McKay needs to learn to play elsewhere. Defence is an option. He has the tools but to me his career is going nowhere as a deep forward. Certainly intensity seems an issue so get him involved more in the game
McGovern
Yep gave up a lot for mid sized power forward whose best is very good but worst is the worst and very little in between. The problem is his best is not often enough. At 25 should be better
DeKoning
I would play this bloke for an extended period in the seniors. One of the few players that seems to have a big upsize. McKay needs to drop down a level to re invent himself.
Stocker
What I saw of him I liked. Actually has some size about him unlike many on our list. Needs to show some continuity in his development. We gave up a lot to get him.
LOB
Gave up a top 10 pick and can’t get a game in an ordinary side in his third year. Not looking good.
Lang
Has been horrible. A good junior injuries have sapped his confidence and his development. Some guys develop too early. He definitely looks like one of those players playing forward . Was brought to the club as a mature mid and to my recollection hasn’t played there.
Setterfield
A bit like Lang. Definitely better but what is the upside. Looks not strong enough to play inside mid. Slow lacks depth in kicking. Has some footy smarts. As I have said repeatedly we gave two picks including a top 20 for him. So far not enough bang for the buck.
Walsh
Having the second year blues which is not uncommon. The question I have is how much better can he get. He isn’t big and isn’t quick. Good recruiting involves some luck but also a Crystal ball approach.
I for one would have entertained the notion of trading pick one for Ports first 2 picks. Duursma and Butters look to have more upside. Given the way the game is played these days the more quality mids who can hit the scoreboard the better you are. Don’t get me wrong. Walsh is obviously very good but the option was there and we didn’t take it. Given the state of our list at the time I believe SOS should have done it
Plowman
Lacks pace. Kicking is average. Like many on our list he seems to have lost weight and doesn’t seem to be as strong in the marking contests. His roll is that last man in defence. To me he provides little positivity to the team. An ordinary player at best and he has been around a while.
Cuningham
His best is elite. Doesn’t happen near enough for a fifth year player
Weitering
Excellent key defender. The question is do you use your number one pick on that type of player.
You would like to think that in the future he can go forward and impose himself on games.
Williamson
I’ll cut him some slack because of he has missed so much footy. Unlike most in our team he does take the game on. Has a lot of upside.
C Curnow
To me our most important player because he is the one bloke who win a game of his own boot. Sadly missed.
Pittonet
Looks an honest toiler Actually needs to bulk up a bit. Being a young big bloke has upside
Fisher
Been pretty good. Only concern for me has been his lack of size. Has upside with a decent run at it.
Marchbank
Lacks core strength. Another player who seems to have been at his best compared to his opponents as a junior.

The rest of the list are in two categories.
Simply not good enough or too early to tell.

With Austin at the helm and Brodie’s roll reduced how will Austin assess the list and will he deliver the goods.
To me the list has more holes in it than a piece of Swiss cheese.
Would you trade Cripps before he becomes a free agent and his contract is up in 2021.
That will obviously depend on the performance of the team in 2020. So far it’s not looking great.
Our recruiting has been our major issue over the last 20 years which has lead to such poor performances.
The AFL is a reasonably level playing field. We have a salary cap, a soft cap, all the clubs have great facilities Coaches have to do a course to be a possible AFL coach but recruiting varies in its quality from club to club. We have a system where recruiters predominantly recruit 18 year olds.
Good recruiters seem to be able to have a better crystal ball than the ordinary recruiters in which ones become successful AFL footballers in their mid 20s
And whilst it’s fairly irrelevant in 2020 Austin and his team need to look more closely at the VFL WAFL SANFL etc than their predecessors.
Weitering was a number one pick
Sam Collins was running around at Werribee when GC picked him at 55.
They are similar quality players playing the same position.
Don’t get me wrong.
Weitering is one of our best players
To some degree you can say that these leagues are like the college system that exists in USA
All these decisions add up to a successful team

i used to hate your posts, keogh, but you seem less angry and more rational this year. this is a very thoughtful post, and imo quite accurate.

do you think, like i do, that cripps will ask for a trade?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

bender wrote:
keogh wrote:
Time for some thought on where our list is at.
Simpson, Betts, Murphy, Jones, Newnes, Ed Curnow, Casboult, Kreuzer arn’ t going to get any better.
The former three will most likely not be there so can the list improve given we clearly are still a bottom six team. Tag Cripps and Docherty out of the game and where done and dusted.
Let’s look at some of players the club has invested in given their ages but also what they have shown and what their ceiling may be
JOS
Probably best suited in a tagging roll with oppositions number one mid. Too slow and lacks height to play forward.
Dow
Still contracted till 2022 hasn’t shown enough. Time is on his side but his lack of awareness and game sense is a concern. Kicking is below standard and like many on our list lacks size.
SPS
Major disappointment. His body shape has not changed. Gets rag dolled too often. Kicking lacks depth.
Fantastic game awareness but he is been wasted in the back half. How much better can he get. Too me he doesn’t seem to want it enough. For a top 10 pick has been average so far
Kennedy
Simply hasn’t been fit enough until this year where he looks in great shape.
Shown a bit up forward but brought to the club as an inside mid which he has to be because he is so slow. For a pick 28 his output has been ordinary. Not a lot of upside
Cripps
Absolute champ but no player should have the burden of carrying the weight of a team on his shoulders given his age. More on him later.
McKay
Injuries and development aside( big guys take time) McKay needs to learn to play elsewhere. Defence is an option. He has the tools but to me his career is going nowhere as a deep forward. Certainly intensity seems an issue so get him involved more in the game
McGovern
Yep gave up a lot for mid sized power forward whose best is very good but worst is the worst and very little in between. The problem is his best is not often enough. At 25 should be better
DeKoning
I would play this bloke for an extended period in the seniors. One of the few players that seems to have a big upsize. McKay needs to drop down a level to re invent himself.
Stocker
What I saw of him I liked. Actually has some size about him unlike many on our list. Needs to show some continuity in his development. We gave up a lot to get him.
LOB
Gave up a top 10 pick and can’t get a game in an ordinary side in his third year. Not looking good.
Lang
Has been horrible. A good junior injuries have sapped his confidence and his development. Some guys develop too early. He definitely looks like one of those players playing forward . Was brought to the club as a mature mid and to my recollection hasn’t played there.
Setterfield
A bit like Lang. Definitely better but what is the upside. Looks not strong enough to play inside mid. Slow lacks depth in kicking. Has some footy smarts. As I have said repeatedly we gave two picks including a top 20 for him. So far not enough bang for the buck.
Walsh
Having the second year blues which is not uncommon. The question I have is how much better can he get. He isn’t big and isn’t quick. Good recruiting involves some luck but also a Crystal ball approach.
I for one would have entertained the notion of trading pick one for Ports first 2 picks. Duursma and Butters look to have more upside. Given the way the game is played these days the more quality mids who can hit the scoreboard the better you are. Don’t get me wrong. Walsh is obviously very good but the option was there and we didn’t take it. Given the state of our list at the time I believe SOS should have done it
Plowman
Lacks pace. Kicking is average. Like many on our list he seems to have lost weight and doesn’t seem to be as strong in the marking contests. His roll is that last man in defence. To me he provides little positivity to the team. An ordinary player at best and he has been around a while.
Cuningham
His best is elite. Doesn’t happen near enough for a fifth year player
Weitering
Excellent key defender. The question is do you use your number one pick on that type of player.
You would like to think that in the future he can go forward and impose himself on games.
Williamson
I’ll cut him some slack because of he has missed so much footy. Unlike most in our team he does take the game on. Has a lot of upside.
C Curnow
To me our most important player because he is the one bloke who win a game of his own boot. Sadly missed.
Pittonet
Looks an honest toiler Actually needs to bulk up a bit. Being a young big bloke has upside
Fisher
Been pretty good. Only concern for me has been his lack of size. Has upside with a decent run at it.
Marchbank
Lacks core strength. Another player who seems to have been at his best compared to his opponents as a junior.

The rest of the list are in two categories.
Simply not good enough or too early to tell.

With Austin at the helm and Brodie’s roll reduced how will Austin assess the list and will he deliver the goods.
To me the list has more holes in it than a piece of Swiss cheese.
Would you trade Cripps before he becomes a free agent and his contract is up in 2021.
That will obviously depend on the performance of the team in 2020. So far it’s not looking great.
Our recruiting has been our major issue over the last 20 years which has lead to such poor performances.
The AFL is a reasonably level playing field. We have a salary cap, a soft cap, all the clubs have great facilities Coaches have to do a course to be a possible AFL coach but recruiting varies in its quality from club to club. We have a system where recruiters predominantly recruit 18 year olds.
Good recruiters seem to be able to have a better crystal ball than the ordinary recruiters in which ones become successful AFL footballers in their mid 20s
And whilst it’s fairly irrelevant in 2020 Austin and his team need to look more closely at the VFL WAFL SANFL etc than their predecessors.
Weitering was a number one pick
Sam Collins was running around at Werribee when GC picked him at 55.
They are similar quality players playing the same position.
Don’t get me wrong.
Weitering is one of our best players
To some degree you can say that these leagues are like the college system that exists in USA
All these decisions add up to a successful team

i used to hate your posts, keogh, but you seem less angry and more rational this year. this is a very thoughtful post, and imo quite accurate.

do you think, like i do, that cripps will ask for a trade?

I’m not as angry.
Like many Blues supporters I’ve got used to us being shit so I’m kind of blaze about the whole thing.
I’ve have no idea what Cripps will do but clearly if the team doesn’t improve in the next 15 months
then the chances of him leaving would increase.

I don’t fully understand the rules of free agency in regards to whether we get more for Cripps if he we traded in 2020 as opposed to 2021.
One thing this club has done repeatedly over the last 15 years is over rate the list.
So the question for Austin will be is when do you reset if things don’t improve
We will win games when we are up and teams are not on like what happened at pussy park but even a shortened season and shorter quarters sort the contenders from the pretenders.

I’m slowly getting over the Mc Govern trade. He still has 3.5 years to go on his lucrative contract but even some of my detractors are I reckon silently starting to believe why I was so pissed off with that trade. And McAdam showed a bit today in his second game.
And Setterfield is an average player. These trades will set you back big time if they don’t work out.

The biggest point is with equalisation so prevalent in the AFL recruiting is the one grey area that sorts out the best from the rest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:11 pm 
Garry Crane

This club biggest problem is that they are to loyal or aren’t brave enough
to make tuff calls on senior and high paid players who should be dropped
or traded.
They refuse to play younger players for extended periods to prove themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:23 am 
Geoff Southby

Stranger wrote:
or traded.

Under Bolton we played younger players all the time and everyone was seething because the kids couldn't stand up against the big boys.
Now under Teague he is playing all the older blokes to win games and putting the brakes on our youth development.
Maybe the next coach will have the balance of old and young right.

Last edited by Sidefx on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:02 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

SPS
Dow
LOB
Stocker
Kennedy

All midfield types, young, cost us good pick/s to get, how do we think these players are progressing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
Stranger wrote:
or traded.

Under Bolton we played younger players all the time and everyone was seething because the kids couldn't stand up against the big boys.
Now under Teague he is playing all the older blokes to win games and intern putting the brakes on our youth development.
Maybe the next coach will have the balance of old and young right.

Yes this is a topical issue.
Dow is injured.
LOB and Stocker not getting a look in which I'm not thrilled about.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:33 pm 
Banned

Paddycripps wrote:
SPS
Dow
LOB
Stocker
Kennedy

All midfield types, young, cost us good pick/s to get, how do we think these players are progressing?

Other than Kennedy who shuold have been starting 22 at 23 years old the rest are progressing nicely.

SPS is durable with elite skills and decision making ha stagnated a little bit but will go to next level with confidence
Dow so and so a kid that has been forced to play games before he was ready and has shown explosive speed another one will go up another level with confidence.. a few things need to be cleaned up in his game but at AFL standard.
LOB running the wings and knowing the patterns is important skill - Newnes and Setterfield is ahead of him at this stage but LOB for sure has great upside with his running power and lethal left foot
Stocker has all the tricks in the book and at AFL standard with his gameplay only thing letting him down to play in the middle is his tank or two way running has everything else in spades
Kennedy - time is running out.

They are all good kids with potential and coming to an age when they get their opportunity at their age they need to hold their position in the side for the long term

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:27 pm 
Bob Chitty

Paddycripps wrote:
SPS
Dow
LOB
Stocker
Kennedy

You raise a good point here: who are the midfielders we have drafted / traded in during the rebuild that will become A graders in the future?

Murph and Ed only have 1-2 years left max. Our midfield in 2 years time is Crippa + ?

In order of their draft class:

Kennedy - hasn’t made it as a mid yet. Looks slimmer and moving better across the ground based on the seconds footage. Out of contract at the end of the year. Would like to see him given one more chance as a midfielder in the seniors before we make a final call on him.

Cunners - best 22 player but hasn’t shown he can play consistent midfield minutes. Looks good in bursts. A good option to rotate from half forward into the middle but can’t yet be relied on to play 70% midfield time.

SPS - moved to half back. Would like to see him given another go as a mid. Has x-factor and would like him being the one kicking into the forward 50. Questions remain as to whether he’s physical enough to play as a full time midfielder.

Setters - coming along. A good inside ball winner and tackler and can kick goals from the middle. Needs to work on composure and disposal once he gets the ball. Still very young in terms of games. Not sure if I see A grader but should be more than serviceable.

Dow - TBA. Haven’t seen him at all after the restart due to injury. Moved to half forward after DT took over with little impact. Isn’t cut out to play forward - doesn’t get the ball enough or take his opportunities in front of goal. Disposal and fitness are key issues. Burst speed and evasiveness key strengths. Still have faith in him. Think we’ll know whether he makes it within 18 months.

LOB - little bit off the pace. Doesn’t seem to be demanding a spot at the moment with his performance in the 2s. Looked better back half of last year. His physicality is a concern. Needs to knock down the door for selection soon. Like Dow, we should know in 18 months.

Walsh - best bet to become an A grader. Phenomenal last year. Second year blues a bit this year. Not too worried about him. I suspect he’s suffered a bit from the shorter quarters as his one wood is outworking the opposition, especially late in quarters and games when fatigue levels are higher.

Stocker - TBA. Haven’t seen enough of him in the seniors. Watched him play for Northern last year and loved the combination of skill, physicality and aggression. Was good on his senior games last year. Concerning he’s not been looked at this year. Like LOB, needs to knock down the door with performances in the 2s. Also needs to build the tank. Only second season so plenty of time on his hands.

Philp and Kemp - too early to judge. Give them at least until the end of 2021 before we can form any real opinion on what we’ve got. Like Philp’s attitude and seems a popular teammate. Kemp oozing talent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

sinbagger wrote:
I don’t think there’s much wrong with our list at all, put any of our players in another club and they’ll thrive. Their lack of consistent performance Is simply a mental and club culture problem

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We need to find a bully who can play footy and not just rely on skinny athletic types.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Sombrero wrote:
We need to find a bully who can play footy and not just rely on skinny athletic types.

Yep ! a few blokes with a bit of drop punt in them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:31 am 
Harry Vallence

I'd be asking Charlie Constable how he is going down at the cats.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:07 pm 
Robert Walls

deano35 wrote:
I'd be asking Charlie Constable how he is going down at the cats.

Stable atm?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

Deano are we asking or should we be asking re Constable ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

frank dardew wrote:
Deano are we asking or should we be asking re Constable ?

We should be asking. I have no idea if we are.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:04 pm 
John Nicholls

I havn't had a cont all day drinkstable.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 118  Next