Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:09 pm 
Robert Walls

jim wrote:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-2021-david-teague-sacked-plea-from-carlton-players-to-keep-coach-who-spoke-up-blues-players-tom-morris-news/news-story/260c34af7721b49ee66fa443468aa5ae?fbclid=IwAR3Na8d_snFc8EbXvCB6NhnzPxE_gzOlAv6vETpDmMx8VZUIR7VHn_eWc5k

They are literally the only ones who could have done something about it - i.e. Win.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

bluechampion wrote:
jim wrote:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-2021-david-teague-sacked-plea-from-carlton-players-to-keep-coach-who-spoke-up-blues-players-tom-morris-news/news-story/260c34af7721b49ee66fa443468aa5ae?fbclid=IwAR3Na8d_snFc8EbXvCB6NhnzPxE_gzOlAv6vETpDmMx8VZUIR7VHn_eWc5k

They are literally the only ones who could have done something about it - i.e. Win.

You only need a few on the other side and you don't win anything. Alot of those types mentioned went pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:42 pm 
Ken Hunter

Hopefully Sayers now fully understands that Liddell is the issue. He is a bloody cancer within the club!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
Hopefully Sayers now fully understands that Liddell is the issue. He is a bloody cancer within the club!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

It is so obvious that Teague has been treated poorly. Particularly if there were approaches to Clarkson and Lyon during the season. To make matters worse, Teague has a contract in place for 2022. As I have stated previously, if there was no confidence in Teague, then he should have been formally told before the end of the season. It appears to me that this has become a process of elimination. That is, if Clarkson and Lyon didn’t accept the offer, then Teague remains coach in 2022. Although, I think Lyon will accept the offer and become our next coach.[/quote]

No. I can't see the quote anywhere there.[/quote]

Keep drinking the kool aid[/quote]

I asked for proof of Clarksons comment. You return with an irrelevant post to my question and as a result, I drink kool aid.
Have I summed up that conversation correctly?
:lol:

Thanks for the insightful contribution.

Nah, responding to your original sarcastic response.

I made a simple point about how it was obvious Teague was treated poorly and deserved better. Something that has played out for the entire week and a view supported by some of our own players eg Betts

Pretty naive to think that Clarkson would publicly release a word for word statement that he rejected the offer due to these reasons. I have no idea whether this was the case. Although, based on Teague’s treatment, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:

Such a terrible analogy….anyway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

I can’t see how Teague has been treated poorly. The club is absolutely entitled to review operations at any time. If his disposition is so delicate that he couldn’t cope with that, then perhaps that in itself is evidence that he is not cut out to be an AFL coach.

It’s a very very privileged position; there’s only 18 in Australia. He was given an opportunity, he tried hard but it didn’t work out.

The club has made an evidence based decision to replace him. The method & timing of it was appropriate and in the best interests of the club. The club’s best interests must always be paramount.

He gets paid out. We move on.

Thanks for your efforts David. All the best for the future :beer:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
I can’t see how Teague has been treated poorly. The club is absolutely entitled to review operations at any time. If his disposition is so delicate that he couldn’t cope with that, then perhaps that in itself is evidence that he is not cut out to be an AFL coach.

It’s a very very privileged position; there’s only 18 in Australia. He was given an opportunity, he tried hard but it didn’t work out.

The club has made an evidence based decision to replace him. The method & timing of it was appropriate and in the best interests of the club. The club’s best interests must always be paramount.

:clap:

Anyone who values logic over emotion can see this for what it is

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:33 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Let’s not forget that Sayers stated it was Teague choice to wait until this week!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:

Too many words there for your typical Hun reader / Fox Footy viewer.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluechampion wrote:
jim wrote:

Well not Marchbank, apparently a Teague man though….

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Too many words there for your typical Hun reader / Fox Footy viewer.

Yeah " Sue " , that sums it up nicely ..................but all the same , i feel sorry for Dave . Admire courage and bravery and Dave had a truckload of it . Just hope good things come his way .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:53 pm 
Robert Walls

So Teague moves on. So be it. He will have known the territory as coach of the blues.

In 10 years time, beyond winning premierships, I’d like us to be known as the best in the business at developing our own talent - players, staff, coaches.

While we continue to glow with associated bragging rights of 16 premierships, we have a machine that is committed to solving our woes by importing the solution - players and coaches alike.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:17 pm 
Horrie Clover

jim wrote:

Jesus, if that's true we've backed the wrong horse.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

WOW wrote:
It is so obvious that Teague has been treated poorly. Particularly if there were approaches to Clarkson and Lyon during the season. To make matters worse, Teague has a contract in place for 2022. As I have stated previously, if there was no confidence in Teague, then he should have been formally told before the end of the season. It appears to me that this has become a process of elimination. That is, if Clarkson and Lyon didn’t accept the offer, then Teague remains coach in 2022. Although, I think Lyon will accept the offer and become our next coach.

No. I can't see the quote anywhere there.[/quote]

Keep drinking the kool aid[/quote]

I asked for proof of Clarksons comment. You return with an irrelevant post to my question and as a result, I drink kool aid.
Have I summed up that conversation correctly?
:lol:

Thanks for the insightful contribution.

Nah, responding to your original sarcastic response.

I made a simple point about how it was obvious Teague was treated poorly and deserved better. Something that has played out for the entire week and a view supported by some of our own players eg Betts

Pretty naive to think that Clarkson would publicly release a word for word statement that he rejected the offer due to these reasons. I have no idea whether this was the case. Although, based on Teague’s treatment, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true.[/quote]

Teague wasn’t a victim , I don’t know why you keep saying he was

Sellers just on 360 ,just said Teague was a stubborn man and wanted to do things his way and eventually he fell on his sword
And again as Sayers said , they tried to talk to him a few weeks ago about the review and he didn’t want a bar of it until the season finished , Teague had known the outcome for a very long time Because of his be behaviour
There has constant conflict at the club all year , because of teagues and liddles attitude ,,,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

Considering our injury list this year I wouldn't have minded Teague being given another year, and thus serve out his contract. Who was our last coach to do that? Parko? But recent comments by Teague and his manager made his position untenable, and they had to know that. I can't help wondering if Teague didn't secretly want out. A less stressful assistant coaching position next year, plus his contract paid out. A nice little earner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

Mil Hanna wrote:
GWS wrote:
I loved Teague as a player as he always got the most out of himself.

And I was pleased when we went with him as a coach as he seemed to have the players on board and playing with a freedom we hadn’t seen in years.

But the last couple of years he’s shown next to zero ability to adapt to any sort of changes and his game day coaching is appalling with barely a move ever made in order to regain momentum in a game when it’s turned against us. And the lack of defensive system compared to 17 other clubs is so glaring it’s ridiculous.

I could cop the above if I could see some capacity to own the issues and a willingness to adapt but it’s just not there.

Add to that his public statements of the last few weeks and his manager’s bullshit and I’m actually glad to see the end of him.

Thanks for your efforts David but we need to move on.

Yep, absolutely spot on GWS :thumbsup:

Nice guy, who started well, but has clearly shown this year that he is not up to it tactically. "Teague's gift" was always my biggest issue with his coaching and he seemed to be completely clueless (or stubborn?) of how to address it.

His behaviour over the past few weeks just wreaks of someone who can't take criticism well and sooks it up. We need someone who is willing to learn from their mistakes and realise when they are getting it wrong.

Thanks for your service David, but I am happy we can all now move on.

i wonder if the meetings with sayers and lidddle were to ascertain if he had anything new to offer, such as a defensive plan for the future, or what teague thought he could offer as a head coach moving forward, and when he couldnt provide satisfactory answers, then he was sacked.

i cant help but think sayers might have tried to give him another chance, but teague's stubborn plan of offence first and foremost was not going to change

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
london blue wrote:
The club remains weak at development - players, football staff.

I don’t know if he was right for the job, however over and over again we demonstrate we are not good at the ‘long’ game and sticking to a plan.

Good luck to the Carlton of old recreating itself once again over the next weeks/months/year.

The long game was the huge 5 year rebuild, and the evidence confirms the club did stick phat with that.

Sure there will be questions regarding the success of some of SOS selections, but with the plethora of picks, even after a few busts, there's enough quality to turn this ship around quick smart.

"Teague's Gift" of 5 goal bleeds happened last year, and continued this year. The bleeding had to be stopped regardless of the fact he had one more year. He knew that. He couldn't explain it either. That doesn't comfort me.

Obviously, before we jump to conclusions, we need to know the story the Review told, and I'm leaning towards the findings didn't paint a great picture of Teague's coaching ability and game plan. Sure injuries didn't help, including those carried into games by stars Cripps, Williams, McKay, Martin, Silvagni, that we know of, but surely he could have adjusted his plan to not leave the team exposed to these runs of goals against.

Pickering's remarks told us of a story of conflict between the coach and the captain, and finger pointing is a deflecting mechanism imo.

Its time for the next coach, and his assistants to continue on our march to No. 17.

The Review covered all areas of the Football Dept, and I'm sure their will be improvements, and a huge focus in areas of weakness such as Development.

The list is intact, the dead wood discarded, and the next step is a tweak to the long game...we want to be a Premier, not a coach's training ground.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

robertbb wrote:
robertbb wrote:

I think Teague's gone too much the other way. Too much "belief" and "freedom", not enough accountability and drilled-in structure. Quite possibly because he's trying to counterweight what Bolton did.

That was March 31 this year in reference to our defensive structures.

Today's press release:

“This was highlighted, but not limited to, an overt, consistent focus on offence at a detriment to the defensive side of the game.

Why did it take a review to highlight what was flipping obvious right at the beginning of the season (and even last year) just to supporters who were watching with their eyes wide open?

weak president and ceo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

Walsh wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
Walsh wrote:
How do you guys know this is the right decision? Time will tell - feels like another Ratten issue where injury list claimed his job as well.

It's a shame injuries have claimed so many head coaches jobs....shortsighted as always.

No one knows, and essentially we have no control over it and don’t know what goes on inside the club. We can surmise but we don’t actually know.

Ratts did have more runs on the board than Teague, though ratts tenure has risen in stock due to what’s happened since.

Be hard for Teagues stock to rise unless we go back to Bolts era winning ratios. Though if he goes to Richmond and they begin flying again next year I am sure that will help his cause.

I do think part of the issue is lack of experience throughout football department, so Teague was one of those.

Yes true - considering he had no football director and didn't have his own assistants is harsh. Had to promote Stanton and Power from development coaching ranks and sounded out Woosha as there was no Senior Assistant at the club. Sayers set him up to fail - thats the way it looks like to me.

bullshit walsh.

sayers has only just become president

teague said himself he was happy with his assistants - as head coach he could have changed them, he chose not to

teague has only himself to blame, you just refuse to see it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266  Next