Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

WOW wrote:
Not saying he is the right person to continue to coaching this club but the reason given in the Age for his sacking seems a bit flimsy to me. So he loses his job because of his focus on offence and confusion around the game plan. I am presuming there is a lot more to this in the actual report. Those issues could be rectified with a change in his approach and better assistants. Particularly considering he has only been there for just over 2 years. That’s if he was willing to do so.

Let’s hope Lyon doesn’t make us too defensive, which may not suit the current game due to changes in rules. Assuming Lyon is our next coach.

Yes but it was the same issues in game 1 of his coaching as game 50.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:32 pm 
John Nicholls

robertbb wrote:

I think Teague's gone too much the other way. Too much "belief" and "freedom", not enough accountability and drilled-in structure. Quite possibly because he's trying to counterweight what Bolton did.

That was March 31 this year in reference to our defensive structures.

Today's press release:

“This was highlighted, but not limited to, an overt, consistent focus on offence at a detriment to the defensive side of the game.

Why did it take a review to highlight what was flipping obvious right at the beginning of the season (and even last year) just to supporters who were watching with their eyes wide open?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Robertbb?

Or is it...

ROSSbb

Reveal!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:
How do you guys know this is the right decision? Time will tell - feels like another Ratten issue where injury list claimed his job as well.

It's a shame injuries have claimed so many head coaches jobs....shortsighted as always.

No one knows, and essentially we have no control over it and don’t know what goes on inside the club. We can surmise but we don’t actually know.

Ratts did have more runs on the board than Teague, though ratts tenure has risen in stock due to what’s happened since.

Be hard for Teagues stock to rise unless we go back to Bolts era winning ratios. Though if he goes to Richmond and they begin flying again next year I am sure that will help his cause.

I do think part of the issue is lack of experience throughout football department, so Teague was one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:44 pm 
Banned

Adam Chatfield wrote:
Walsh wrote:
How do you guys know this is the right decision? Time will tell - feels like another Ratten issue where injury list claimed his job as well.

It's a shame injuries have claimed so many head coaches jobs....shortsighted as always.

No one knows, and essentially we have no control over it and don’t know what goes on inside the club. We can surmise but we don’t actually know.

Ratts did have more runs on the board than Teague, though ratts tenure has risen in stock due to what’s happened since.

Be hard for Teagues stock to rise unless we go back to Bolts era winning ratios. Though if he goes to Richmond and they begin flying again next year I am sure that will help his cause.

I do think part of the issue is lack of experience throughout football department, so Teague was one of those.

Yes true - considering he had no football director and didn't have his own assistants is harsh. Had to promote Stanton and Power from development coaching ranks and sounded out Woosha as there was no Senior Assistant at the club. Sayers set him up to fail - thats the way it looks like to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Of all the ridiculous garbage coming out of the media, this one has to be up there:
Teague has been widely praised for the way he has handled the end to his tenure with the club’s football department review taking the legs out from under him before the end of the season.

He has handled it poorly. Thrown numerous hissy fits, then got his mouthpiece to publicly slag off our captain.

Seems like a decent guy generally and like most, I derive no real pleasure from seeing someone get sacked but to suggest he has handled the end of his tenure well is laughable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

Walsh wrote:

Is Teague ok ??

Injuries give me a spell ...

Do you concede yet Teague is no longer coaching us ?? Or do you sayers is joking ??

He is a future 4 time premiership coach by your assessment , that we have just let go ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

rhino27 wrote:
Of all the ridiculous garbage coming out of the media, this one has to be up there:
Teague has been widely praised for the way he has handled the end to his tenure with the club’s football department review taking the legs out from under him before the end of the season.

He has handled it poorly. Thrown numerous hissy fits, then got his mouthpiece to publicly slag off our captain.

Seems like a decent guy generally and like most, I derive no real pleasure from seeing someone get sacked but to suggest he has handled the end of his tenure well is laughable.

Exactly and as sayers pointed out , Teague said he would rather discuss the findings of the Review post season and not 2 weeks ago when Sayers first got the final review and recommendations...

Tegaue wanted to do go out slagging off on everyone ,

Hope he does end up at the tigers ,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:

I have to agree. I have no ill will towards Teague but if the data collected during the review points to shortfalls in the senior coach’s performance, then he had to go unfortunately. Like Sayers said today, the easy option would have been to wait it out. But once the review findings had been absorbed the board would have been negligent in its duties if it didn’t act.

I know it’s hard for Teague, but it’s a well paid gig and a very hot seat. I thought his performance in the post match media conference on Saturday night was not particularly dignified and his manager hasn’t done him any favours this week either.

He’ll get a nice payout and I’m sure he’ll get an assistant coach gig somewhere next year. But, frankly, I doubt he’ll ever be offered another senior coaching job.

As an aside, if he does get an assistant’s job at Richmond or somewhere next year do we need to pay him out? If we still need to pay him out, does 100% of the payout still get counted in the soft cap?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:24 pm 
John Nicholls

aboynamedsue wrote:
rhino27 wrote:

I have to agree. I have no ill will towards Teague but if the data collected during the review points to shortfalls in the senior coach’s performance, then he had to go unfortunately. Like Sayers said today, the easy option would have been to wait it out. But once the review findings had been absorbed the board would have been negligent in its duties if it didn’t act.

I know it’s hard for Teague, but it’s a well paid gig and a very hot seat. I thought his performance in the post match media conference on Saturday night was not particularly dignified and his manager hasn’t done him any favours this week either.

He’ll get a nice payout and I’m sure he’ll get an assistant coach gig somewhere next year. But, frankly, I doubt he’ll ever be offered another senior coaching job.

As an aside, if he does get an assistant’s job at Richmond or somewhere next year do we need to pay him out? If we still need to pay him out, does 100% of the payout still get counted in the soft cap?

The answer is of course what's worse for Carlton.
As opposed to Kennet/Clarkson, in which case the opposite answer holds true.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

Feel sorry for Teague but I think this is a good day for the CLUB and no negativity by the usual suspects or the vacuous media derogates from that

THE Board took action undertook an external review underperformance was established

The Board has sought to act on the recommendations and have taken tough decisions

The board has been

ONWARD AND UPWARD stop the handwringing this day is well overdue at our football club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

tap in 79 wrote:
Menzel_Mayhem wrote:
News:

Underperforming coach sacked, after review. No more. No less.

I agree. Teague's a nice guy but coaching is about wins and losses. If they had a table for nice guys instead of wins/losses then Carlton would be in the top 8...but unfortunately they judge seasons on wins.

A 40% win/loss ratio isn't great for a club that has Walsh, Harry McKay, Cripps, Weitering, Zac Williams, Liam Jones, Saad and Nic Newman amongst others.

Surely it isn't too much to ask for a 55%-60% win/loss ratio with a team that has players such as this.

Round 2 vs Collingwood was an abysmal loss. That defined the season imo.
Round 4 vs Gold Coast lost by 11 points
Round 6 vs Brisbane lost by 18 points
Round 8 vs Bulldogs lost by 16 points

These are the type of matches where a good coach uses his skills to direct a win.

Pretty sure we won the round 4 match against Gold Coast.
I was there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

frank dardew wrote:
Feel sorry for Teague but I think this is a good day for the CLUB and no negativity by the usual suspects or the vacuous media derogates from that

THE Board took action undertook an external review underperformance was established

The Board has sought to act on the recommendations and have taken tough decisions

The board has been

ONWARD AND UPWARD stop the handwringing this day is well overdue at our football club

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

It's quite possible that the club is dysfunctional.

It's also quite possible that Teague can't coach

There's evidence to support both.

Sorry I'm feeling very non-binary at the moment

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

Andy Maher being absolutely hysterical about today playing the usual narrative -baa another media sheep with very superficial analysis

I reckon if he feels so strongly he should make a stand not to be the official club runner for Carlton AFLW team next summer

Bet you he doesn’t because he loves the adulation and grandstanding of having the position

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

kezza wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Menzel_Mayhem wrote:
News:

Underperforming coach sacked, after review. No more. No less.

I agree. Teague's a nice guy but coaching is about wins and losses. If they had a table for nice guys instead of wins/losses then Carlton would be in the top 8...but unfortunately they judge seasons on wins.

A 40% win/loss ratio isn't great for a club that has Walsh, Harry McKay, Cripps, Weitering, Zac Williams, Liam Jones, Saad and Nic Newman amongst others.

Surely it isn't too much to ask for a 55%-60% win/loss ratio with a team that has players such as this.

Round 2 vs Collingwood was an abysmal loss. That defined the season imo.
Round 4 vs Gold Coast lost by 11 points
Round 6 vs Brisbane lost by 18 points
Round 8 vs Bulldogs lost by 16 points

These are the type of matches where a good coach uses his skills to direct a win.

Pretty sure we won the round 4 match against Gold Coast.
I was there.

True enough. The point, I think, remains though that close matches are pivotal.

Instead one can use -

Rd 11 vs Sydney - lost by 22 points (under 4 goals)

These matches decided by under 4 goals are the matches that either make or break a season.

The point remains that a coach in control of his season can see the match quickly and make alterations quickly that win you those close games.

The game vs Collingwood, I would have gotten Setterfield out of the wing as early as the 1st quarter, and tried Paddy Dow or someone else there. People go on about Plowman in that match, but when you are at the match live you see where the turnovers begin and some of the entries were so sudden and quick it wouldn't have mattered if you put SOS there the marks would have been taken.

So yeah matches like that...a coach needs to assess...where are my weaknesses? What can I do?
My other observation was that Marc Murphy was just coasting in that match - HFF. Could he have gone onto the wing? A coach paid $$$$hundreds of thousands needs to make decisions before momentum has swung.

So yeah early season matches - close ones....win them at least 70% of them no matter what.

Look at Barassi in 1967. He won something like 90% (10-2)of those close matches...some of them by under a goal. In 1968, he won 5, lost 2 of the games under 4 goals.
In 1970, record was 8 wins, 3 losses.

That's what defines your season.

Teague's record 2021 - of matches by 25 points or less
5 wins
8 losses

Last edited by tap in 79 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

As always with these decisions, we won’t know if it was good or bad until at least this time next year, perhaps longer.

If we come out firing 5-0 next year, most people will consider the review a masterstroke or culture destroying if we are 0-5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

WOW wrote:
Let’s hope Lyon doesn’t make us too defensive, which may not suit the current game due to changes in rules. Assuming Lyon is our next coach.

I am tipping there is a very good chance he will for his first season, should he be appointed. We're going to have to sit tight & be patient with Lyon if he is the man. After year 1 though is when we should start balancing out & winning more than we lose.

I'm disappointed for Teague but would totally get on board with Lyon as coach, rate him highly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:46 pm 
Banned

Yeah that's right - head coaching is all encompassing. I support the next coach as well make no mistake. Just hope the board doesn't mistreat the next coach - let them work and not be so disruptive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 7VHn_eWc5k

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266  Next