Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree Doc and it’s not just the smokescreen we are not tackling enough although that is a by product of being switched on mentally and having a ruthless determination to win
Haven’t seen either of those in his brief coaching reign yet
A couple of comeback Hollywood wins which are good at the time but doesn’t ensure a sustainable platform to win continually

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We've been trotting out this "dearth of talent in 23-27 age group" for years. In fact the 18yo players drafted when we first used it have probably retired.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:50 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Sometimes I wonder if SOS played it a little safe with recruiting, in terms of character types with his sons at the club.. possibly bypassing better players.. it's just a thought that crosses my minds sometimes.

Teague was a brave/hard player, I'm sure that attribute is high on his requirements regarding recruitment going forward.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

DocSherrin III wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I've tried to find a post to see what your position is Doc...too hard to find. Easier to ask.

What is your position?

Janakurpara and Piditaka for the most part. Was missionary but the back isn't what it used to be.

bondiblue wrote:
How and why is Teague 100% wrong? Curious

A seven goal start? Yeah - sorry...I think the guy can coach, but he's gotta get them mentally switched on. That's part of his job.

I actually think it rests with the players. they're professional footballers. like Nathan Buckley said years ago.... not his job to. motivate them

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DocSherrin III wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I've tried to find a post to see what your position is Doc...too hard to find. Easier to ask.

What is your position?

Janakurpara and Piditaka for the most part. Was missionary but the back isn't what it used to be.

bondiblue wrote:
How and why is Teague 100% wrong? Curious

A seven goal start? Yeah - sorry...I think the guy can coach, but he's gotta get them mentally switched on. That's part of his job.

100%

Leigh Matthews mentioned something along those lines today.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Lace Out wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if SOS played it a little safe with recruiting, in terms of character types with his sons at the club.. possibly bypassing better players.. it's just a thought that crosses my minds sometimes.

Teague was a brave/hard player, I'm sure that attribute is high on his requirements regarding recruitment going forward.

Lace I love your thinking.

I was thinking today, I dont think the players today would know how brave Teague was, let alone how tough the era he played in. I mean 'really know'. Coz they aren't coming out with vigour, putting it nicely. They either know how hard they have to go in or they don't. These players need a rocket up 'em

Teague might be expecting the kids to know they have to come with hardness and ruthlessness to win, just because they were top 5 picks or 1st rounders.

Maybe he thinks the TAC or the private school system teaches kids mongrel. They're insulated. There's no senior players (in their 20's & 30s) to follow and learn the ropes at school or Under 18 club.

Teague has to move hearts minds to make them human canonballs.

This week!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:01 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Lets hope so Bondi.

It's time for a big scalp, the cats this weekend is just the shot in the arm we need.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

Lace Out wrote:

Not SoS as such but a club policy and if it was about his boys, McGovern wouldn’t have been traded in. So please stop pointing the finger or looking at the boys and SOS as excuses. Just not fair play.
Remember Bolton stating we want ‘good characters and humans’. Remember the debate around drafting Charlie between SOS and Brendon. Luckily we went the extrovert on that occasion. Don’t believe we as a club wanted to go down that path on to many occasions. Also the reason we traded out others such as Robinson.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Fair enough.

I only think SOS as he has family that could be directly affected and is in a position to protect.
Doesn't mean it's true, just something that's crossed my mind as a parent.

I know the club also could not afford any more headlines and were looking for strong character types to help pull the club forward.

I just think you need to take the best footballers you can get your hands on. You can always tweak a winning side in due course.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Lace Out wrote:

I have never thought this.
The list manager is (usually) told what types to recruit by the coach based on the projected game plan.
Nobody will ever convince me that SOS favoured his kids. He separated himself from those particular decisions.
Jack can play. He also has in spades what was lacking in the first quarter last weekend, desire and effort. No way he would have been standing around like Harry watching opposition players win the footy.
Ben we don't know about but one thing he does have, is the pressure of being a Silvagni that sits heavy on all of them. He will bring the same level of intent to the game that Serge had, that SOS had, Alex had and Jack has. Games are won by getting the footy and putting it through the sticks. In the first quarter we did neither.
SOS had a shit hand in a high stakes poker game. Everybody knows it's impossible to get a team off the bottom with one first rounder and one second rounder per year. The AFL knows it and that's why Richmond, Hawthorn, StK and nor GCS have their priority picks and in the case of GCS, draft ad zone concessions that everybody was a bit put out at but really didnt think would amount to anything in the long term. If they get into the top 10 this year and then get their priority pick this year and their academy players and their zone players, Eddie will start the complaints.
SOS never got any of that. He had to turn lead into gold. He had some wins and some losses and some we still don't know about.
Our development team has a lot to answer for as well. Russell will do well because he has the track record but how many of our players never developed or got worse before that?
Holman is playing better in the GCS. Gower is at least playing at the Dogs after not even getting a game for us.
We'd probably have Coniglio except the AFL deliberately intervened and now Cogs is getting paid partly outside the cap as an AFL ambassador or whatever it is.
I can never work out why SOS gets blamed for everything. As Carlton supporters we have always wanted instant gratification.
He didn't give us that. We don't really know what he gave us yet. Most of the recruits from the draft aren't shaving yet, let alone playing good footy. Let them develop before we crucify SOS. If he'd delivered Cogs, we'd look a lot better..... That's why Gil the dill stepped in. It's also why GCS didn't get their package until we jumped above them on the ladder.
Blame him. He can't stand the thought of a strong Carlton. When we're strong, we hold sway in the direction of the AFL decision making process, like Collingwood. That doesn't suit them.
End of rant.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
Remember the debate around drafting Charlie between SOS and Brendon.

No. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:56 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Lace Out wrote:

I have never thought this.
The list manager is (usually) told what types to recruit by the coach based on the projected game plan.
Nobody will ever convince me that SOS favoured his kids. He separated himself from those particular decisions.
Jack can play. He also has in spades what was lacking in the first quarter last weekend, desire and effort. No way he would have been standing around like Harry watching opposition players win the footy.
Ben we don't know about but one thing he does have, is the pressure of being a Silvagni that sits heavy on all of them. He will bring the same level of intent to the game that Serge had, that SOS had, Alex had and Jack has. Games are won by getting the footy and putting it through the sticks. In the first quarter we did neither.
SOS had a shit hand in a high stakes poker game. Everybody knows it's impossible to get a team off the bottom with one first rounder and one second rounder per year. The AFL knows it and that's why Richmond, Hawthorn, StK and nor GCS have their priority picks and in the case of GCS, draft ad zone concessions that everybody was a bit put out at but really didnt think would amount to anything in the long term. If they get into the top 10 this year and then get their priority pick this year and their academy players and their zone players, Eddie will start the complaints.
SOS never got any of that. He had to turn lead into gold. He had some wins and some losses and some we still don't know about.
Our development team has a lot to answer for as well. Russell will do well because he has the track record but how many of our players never developed or got worse before that?
Holman is playing better in the GCS. Gower is at least playing at the Dogs after not even getting a game for us.
We'd probably have Coniglio except the AFL deliberately intervened and now Cogs is getting paid partly outside the cap as an AFL ambassador or whatever it is.
I can never work out why SOS gets blamed for everything. As Carlton supporters we have always wanted instant gratification.
He didn't give us that. We don't really know what he gave us yet. Most of the recruits from the draft aren't shaving yet, let alone playing good footy. Let them develop before we crucify SOS. If he'd delivered Cogs, we'd look a lot better..... That's why Gil the dill stepped in. It's also why GCS didn't get their package until we jumped above them on the ladder.
Blame him. He can't stand the thought of a strong Carlton. When we're strong, we hold sway in the direction of the AFL decision making process, like Collingwood. That doesn't suit them.
End of rant.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

it hard not to think gil has something against us

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:45 am 
John Nicholls

DocSherrin III wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

What is your position?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:59 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Genuine question re one of the remaining constants who's been there a long time...

What does Barker bring to the table ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

What is your position?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He's a classic isn't he. A vocabulary as long as John Holmes it seems....

I reckon he's a Trippa ... a tripadam

Onya Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:13 pm 
Bob Chitty

Rexy wrote:
Genuine question re one of the remaining constants who's been there a long time...

Great question. He’s been our “stoppage” coach for the last few years. I personally have significant issues with how we play at stoppages:
(1) the only method we have is hack it forward (other teams use a string of handballs to release a player into space running towards goal who can make a rational decision to either low the eyes or kick long but to the advantage of our forwards). Our pure clearance numbers are actually good but we don’t get the bang for our buck other teams get off much less clearances because we have no real method after the first contested possession.
(2) we get sucked to the ball like bees to a honey pot which allows the other team to keep 1-2 players 5-10 metres off the stoppage. Once these guys get the ball fed out to them, they are off to the races and we can’t contain the spread because all our players are stuck where the ball was a few seconds prior.

Time for a change. John has been there for too long. We need a fresh perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

david31 wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Great question. He’s been our “stoppage” coach for the last few years. I personally have significant issues with how we play at stoppages:
(1) the only method we have is hack it forward (other teams use a string of handballs to release a player into space running towards goal who can make a rational decision to either low the eyes or kick long but to the advantage of our forwards). Our pure clearance numbers are actually good but we don’t get the bang for our buck other teams get off much less clearances because we have no real method after the first contested possession.
(2) we get sucked to the ball like bees to a honey pot which allows the other team to keep 1-2 players 5-10 metres off the stoppage. Once these guys get the ball fed out to them, they are off to the races and we can’t contain the spread because all our players are stuck where the ball was a few seconds prior.

Time for a change. John has been there for too long. We need a fresh perspective.

On point 1, when Diesel came back to the club, we did start hanballing a lot more especially under pressure rather than just blindly throwing it onto the boot. We did see a fair bit of improvement then. Why we stopped is anyones guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:

woof woof woof

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:44 pm 
John Nicholls

Rexy wrote:

Nude photos of someone would be my guess.

Him and Andy McKay I could never, ever get my head around what they actually did well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Our set plays haven't been good since we lost Paganite

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 266  Next