Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

I don’t think the scrutiny is great as it may fire them up for one week and then as usual a holiday the next week
Worse still with this flaky group they may crap themselves and not turn up against the Lions no professional pride with this group
This group just don’t want it enough otherwise after all the smashing they would want to be ruthless themselves
Port were laughing at us last week and they didn’t care

We talk about belief in this group there is no belief they know if another team put enough pressure on we will fold and even worse the other team know it too
Hence Adam Sampson on the video at the start of the season
Surely watching that collectively they would have felt sick no reaction lose the first 2 games and the second game without any fight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Pat's Fitztrick wrote:
I have been a member at Carlton (on and off) since 1965 - including the last 20 years straight - and I have a long memory.

If Balme or Clarkson are ever employed by us, I'm out.

I'm close to your vintage and I will have time out too. Balm made me cry, and Clarkson made me very angry and still am that way with both @#$%&! thugs..,.and Carlton haters
I wont having anything nice to say.
Stranger things have happened.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

robertbb wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
Genuinely think they are banking on Clarkson and not wanting to lock in any new assistants who might get 'assessed' into deals over a year or 2.

Absolutely no way Clarkson comes to us. Not a chance. And why would he?
I'm not backing it.

But I can't come up with a better conspiracy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Mark McLure's lashing out now:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/car ... 57kjp.html

Lotsa ppl must be fuming

It’s all fine for Sellers to say “play the kids” but I wonder how closely he follows our VFL team. Would he have any real sense of how they are performing on the track and in games? Kids have to earn selection too.

I admired him as a player but I have zero respect for him as a media identity.
He is a uninformed shock jock IMHO. I watched him previously on AFL360 and he bumbles his way through his rants. Usually looking at David King for affirmation. Fortunately for him, King is too polite to expose him for his ineptitude.

Its pretty obvious what King thinks of Sellers...not much at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mark Maclure might be trying to make a living as a “Sam Newman type” wannabe, but he’s not far off the in his description of us.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluehammer wrote:
But I can't come up with a better conspiracy

What about...we appoint Lyon as a senior advisor to Teague...then he takes Teague's job

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:02 am 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Lotsa ppl must be fuming

It’s all fine for Sellers to say “play the kids” but I wonder how closely he follows our VFL team. Would he have any real sense of how they are performing on the track and in games? Kids have to earn selection too.

He is a uninformed shock jock IMHO. I watched him previously on AFL360 and he bumbles his way through his rants. Usually looking at David King for affirmation. Fortunately for him, King is too polite to expose him for his ineptitude.

King is a dimwit. He has to get fed every stat, every theory, every single observation.

I’m not saying Sellers is any different, but if King looks polite, it’s probably because he has no idea what is being discussed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:45 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Lotsa ppl must be fuming

King is a dimwit. He has to get fed every stat, every theory, every single observation.

I’m not saying Sellers is any different, but if King looks polite, it’s probably because he has no idea what is being discussed.

They both need a job. King failes as an assistant at Richmond...he's a failure. Maclure is a wannabe old fashioned, gritty, tough talking, self styled ... I don't get it TBH, but I love him for obvious reasons

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:58 am 
Bob Chitty

While I’m not necessarily a fan of Maclure in the media (for all the reasons outlined by others), when you wade through all the hyperbole (and it takes a while), he’s really just saying that club hasn’t stood for anything on the field for a long time.
Based on current results and lack of intensity / win at all costs mentality, it is hard to argue the point. Could things change? Absolutely, but they haven’t yet.
Watched him on 360 last night and, despite him fumbling his way through his segment, you could hear the hurt in his voice. Like many on here and callers on radio etc this week, he’s just another Carlton person who is fed up with the lacklustre showing of this club. I can’t blame him for that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:51 am 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
Maclure is a wannabe old fashioned, gritty, tough talking, self styled ... I don't get it TBH, but I love him for obvious reasons

Maclure (and a few posters on here) don't seem to realise that football is becoming more and more like just a job for players. Yes, they develop friendships with their teammates, and some lucky few end up playing for the club they supported as kids and as such they will play for their mates or for the jumper respectively.
Supporters, and ex-players like Maclure comes from an era where players had a day job, demand loyalty from players while also demanding the club be ruthless. If Murphy had jumped ship chasing success and/or $$$ then fans would be pissed off. Now fans are pissed off because he's being played in his twilight instead of "the kids". Of course he's going to want to play and "chase 300". Footballers a) want to play and b) get paid more when they play.

I have no idea where I was going with this.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:23 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

david31 wrote:
While I’m not necessarily a fan of Maclure in the media (for all the reasons outlined by others), when you wade through all the hyperbole (and it takes a while), he’s really just saying that club hasn’t stood for anything on the field for a long time.
Based on current results and lack of intensity / win at all costs mentality, it is hard to argue the point. Could things change? Absolutely, but they haven’t yet.
Watched him on 360 last night and, despite him fumbling his way through his segment, you could hear the hurt in his voice. Like many on here and callers on radio etc this week, he’s just another Carlton person who is fed up with the lacklustre showing of this club. I can’t blame him for that

Brittain's team that gave us our first wooden spoon whilst he had 17 injured players to contend with played harder and more desperate football to save face. They did all they could. Brittaion even introduced a high possession game that was selfless and the football world appreciated where we were at (along with being glad to see Carlton win its first ever spoon).

I think we are doing well given the injuries thus far. BUT, there's a few passengers in the current team who do not deserve to be selected because they probably know the cupboard is bare. I thought Kennedy and Williamson tried hard and looked like they cared, but the poor buggers aren't up to speed with the demands of AFL circa 2021.

Yep. Its the lacklustre showing by some players on field, and, in the coach's box which we are fed up with and will not put up with, win or lose.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

Wojee wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Maclure is a wannabe old fashioned, gritty, tough talking, self styled ... I don't get it TBH, but I love him for obvious reasons

Maclure (and a few posters on here) don't seem to realise that football is becoming more and more like just a job for players. Yes, they develop friendships with their teammates, and some lucky few end up playing for the club they supported as kids and as such they will play for their mates or for the jumper respectively.
Supporters, and ex-players like Maclure comes from an era where players had a day job, demand loyalty from players while also demanding the club be ruthless. If Murphy had jumped ship chasing success and/or $$$ then fans would be pissed off. Now fans are pissed off because he's being played in his twilight instead of "the kids". Of course he's going to want to play and "chase 300". Footballers a) want to play and b) get paid more when they play.

I’ve actually been thinking about this a fair bit recently.

How would I feel as an employee if I was the best performing and most highly qualified member of my team, but got overlooked for a promotion because a new guy, with inconsistent performance and obvious deficiencies in their skill set, was favoured?

That’s the situation currently when people suggest Murphy or Curnow should be dropped. It harms the culture of the whole organisation to not reward and recognise the employees who most deserve it. The ‘drop a big name’, ‘just play the kids’ rhetoric fails to recognise the damage decisions like that can have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

Wojee wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I agree with what you're saying re: footy being more of a job nowadays, but it's no surprise that some of the most successful sides of recent times are made up of multiple players who happily took pay cuts for team success.

I also recall a lukewarm reception (at best) to Murphy re-signing and not going to Geelong. It's all hindsight now, but had he left I think the reaction would've been more "good luck Murph, but we need to make a fresh start".

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

How would I feel as an employee if all the criteria that was applied to me, pressure, tackling, accountability, ability to run both ways, perform week in week out, didn't apply to the senior staff? Now if that criteria is not applied to the kids, then yes play whoever cos it really will not matter anyway.

SAt the crux of this

Does Teague have a group of individuals he trusts to get him where he need to go or does he have a process applied equally to all individuals?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

david31 wrote:

I just watched the 360 segment with Maclure and what we he said was fine. He wasn’t fumbling and spoke as a Carlton great who is sick of the rubbish this club had served up over the last 20 years. There is no doubt about that. That is not hyperbole.

He also mentioned the selfless nature of the Carlton teams during his era. Something lacking in this club for too long now. That has been a big point of discussion in this forum. Again, the point made was fine.

Not privy to his media performance outside that segment so can’t comment on that.

I am not

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

dannyboy wrote:
How would I feel as an employee if all the criteria that was applied to me, pressure, tackling, accountability, ability to run both ways, perform week in week out, didn't apply to the senior staff? Now if that criteria is not applied to the kids, then yes play whoever cos it really will not matter anyway.

SAt the crux of this

Does Teague have a group of individuals he trusts to get him where he need to go or does he have a process applied equally to all individuals?

That’s a good point re different demands for different players.
The criteria for Murph is certainly not around pressure and tackling, but everyone brings something different to their role. On the criteria of being involved in scoring chains and giving us an offensive outlet, I’d expect the coaches are ok with Murph’s performance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

cecil89 wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

SAt the crux of this

The criteria for Murph is certainly not around pressure and tackling, but everyone brings something different to their role. On the criteria of being involved in scoring chains and giving us an offensive outlet, I’d expect the coaches are ok with Murph’s performance.

Great coaching at Carlton of course they would be happy

And how much success has our coaching group had in their careers

To push success , ??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm 
Banned

Maclure like most of our players back then came through our youth system they basically grew up together from their early teens. We sure knew how to get youngsters and drill them through the academy back then. Last being Kouta, Ratten and Christou

All clubs should have an academy tbh - Blues were the best at it and still could be. Men Sana In Corpore Sano.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

WOW wrote:
david31 wrote:

I just watched the 360 segment with Maclure and what we he said was fine. He wasn’t fumbling and spoke as a Carlton great who is sick of the rubbish this club had served up over the last 20 years. There is no doubt about that. That is not hyperbole.

He also mentioned the selfless nature of the Carlton teams during his era. Something lacking in this club for too long now. That has been a big point of discussion in this forum. Again, the point made was fine.

Not privy to his media performance outside that segment so can’t comment on that.

Yeah,storm in a teacup WOW....................Sellars speaks who he used to play.A very HARD footballer was our Sellar's.
I am not

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

azzablue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

SAt the crux of this

Great coaching at Carlton of course they would be happy

And how much success has our coaching group had in their careers

To push success , ??

Our coaching group’s record probably isn’t as bad as you think.
Cameron Bruce was an assistant for 3 premierships at Hawthorn.
Luke Power played in 3 premierships.
Daniel O’Keefe coached a premiership with the Geelong Falcons.
Dale Amos had 3 flags in the GFL before entering the AFL ranks.
Teague’s been to 3 grand finals as a coach, but hasn’t gotten over the final hurdle.
Even Barker has experience in finals programs at St Kilda and Hawthorn before coming to us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 266  Next