Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

Footy has changed like most of society
Ruled by political correctness and generally people who have less of a care factor and more of a cold hearted factor of meeting their KPIs and enhancing their career s
I’m sure it’s a bit similar at AFL clubs
Ol school Keogh reckons less meetings more goal kicking practice

That’s why I quit teaching at 50
The world changed whether I agreed with it all not
One of the things I did was chuck newspapers out of car at 4.00 am for 3 years
You would wrap them with a machine at 1.00 am
It was an old school work place
Everyone helped each other but if you complained about how tired you were or how cold you were you were told to put up with it or @#$%&! off
It was so refreshing to see
And it worked
The shit workers left
The good ones stayed
Teague can force changes because I suspect that there is pressure from above to not drop certain players
Pure speculation
The question is how Murphy SPS and others keep getting games

To me Bryce Gibbs is a symbol of what’s wrong with Carlton
Never dropped despite many shit non efforts games squibbing it on a regular basis
He goes to Adelaide and isn’t afforded the same luxury
Adelaide are tracking better than us and they have only started their rebuild
Where into oursixth year of starting over again
I wonder why

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'm tired & cold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

And hungry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
I'm tired & cold

Yep ! and when you are tired and cold you get irritable.Little thing irritate you................and this aint little,its huge,so wonder people are going ape droppings.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:04 pm 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:
Mark Maclure might be trying to make a living as a “Sam Newman type” wannabe, but he’s not far off the in his description of us.

Agree...let's separate the bombast from the content. We "appear" to be such a vanilla group of players who I believe are ridiculed in opposition team meetings

Predictably flaky.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 pm 
Robert Walls

dannyboy wrote:
How would I feel as an employee if all the criteria that was applied to me, pressure, tackling, accountability, ability to run both ways, perform week in week out, didn't apply to the senior staff? Now if that criteria is not applied to the kids, then yes play whoever cos it really will not matter anyway.

SAt the crux of this

Does Teague have a group of individuals he trusts to get him where he need to go or does he have a process applied equally to all individuals?

Correct. There is a lack of selection/demotion integrity

I believe that Teague uses the "they haven't shown enough at VFL level to warrant a call up" as a reason to keep some players in the seniors

Leaders have discretionary powers and as long as it's transparent, it's their perogative.

Nothing wrong with a coach saying to a player in the seniors that their recent form has been poor and that they need to find that form in the ressies...then speaking to a ressies player and saying that while their form has been ok, the coach is going to give them an opportunity at senior level for a few weeks to see how they perform with the step up in class..."I'll back you in son, let's see what you've got, take this opportunity by the scruff of the neck and maybe you can say goodbye to VFL footy"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Does Donald trump need a job?

“Murphy!...you’re out! Etc etc....”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

We could play him at right wing...

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:25 am 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
I think it can be done, and not that hard actually (as opposed to time, yes it can take some time and so we need to start now) , but it takes a concerted effort. Planning, knowing the markers that you must stick to etc. Being clear and beings stable in your expectations and decisions when those expectations aren't met. Mostly it involves being honest and open.
Maybe Weiters is our Rance
Maybe Walsh is our Martin
Maybe Cripps our Cochin
Maybe Harry our Jack
Maybe Murphy out Lids

Who knows the making could be there .
Richmond went from shite to brilliant very quickly

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Murph to GWS for a first rounder?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:34 am 
Geoff Southby

cecil89 wrote:
Wojee wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Maclure is a wannabe old fashioned, gritty, tough talking, self styled ... I don't get it TBH, but I love him for obvious reasons

Maclure (and a few posters on here) don't seem to realise that football is becoming more and more like just a job for players. Yes, they develop friendships with their teammates, and some lucky few end up playing for the club they supported as kids and as such they will play for their mates or for the jumper respectively.
Supporters, and ex-players like Maclure comes from an era where players had a day job, demand loyalty from players while also demanding the club be ruthless. If Murphy had jumped ship chasing success and/or $$$ then fans would be pissed off. Now fans are pissed off because he's being played in his twilight instead of "the kids". Of course he's going to want to play and "chase 300". Footballers a) want to play and b) get paid more when they play.

I have no idea where I was going with this.....

I’ve actually been thinking about this a fair bit recently.

How would I feel as an employee if I was the best performing and most highly qualified member of my team, but got overlooked for a promotion because a new guy, with inconsistent performance and obvious deficiencies in their skill set, was favoured?

That’s the situation currently when people suggest Murphy or Curnow should be dropped. It harms the culture of the whole organisation to not reward and recognise the employees who most deserve it. The ‘drop a big name’, ‘just play the kids’ rhetoric fails to recognise the damage decisions like that can have.

Also a lot of guys get better in peoples minds when they don’t see them play.

People think Cuningham should be in the side instead of Murph for example, doesn’t one think he’d have gotten a game by now if he was doing the right things on and off the field?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:36 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Footy has changed like most of society
Ruled by political correctness and generally people who have less of a care factor and more of a cold hearted factor of meeting their KPIs and enhancing their career s
I’m sure it’s a bit similar at AFL clubs
Ol school Keogh reckons less meetings more goal kicking practice

That’s why I quit teaching at 50
The world changed whether I agreed with it all not
One of the things I did was chuck newspapers out of car at 4.00 am for 3 years
You would wrap them with a machine at 1.00 am
It was an old school work place
Everyone helped each other but if you complained about how tired you were or how cold you were you were told to put up with it or @#$%&! off
It was so refreshing to see
And it worked
The shit workers left
The good ones stayed
Teague can force changes because I suspect that there is pressure from above to not drop certain players
Pure speculation
The question is how Murphy SPS and others keep getting games

To me Bryce Gibbs is a symbol of what’s wrong with Carlton
Never dropped despite many shit non efforts games squibbing it on a regular basis
He goes to Adelaide and isn’t afforded the same luxury
Adelaide are tracking better than us and they have only started their rebuild
Where into oursixth year of starting over again
I wonder why

Perfectly summed and crows didn’t gift games to Gibbs every week like we did and are still doing with Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:33 am 
Ken Hunter

yep political correctness has ruined footy
we should be able to taunt any player by the colour of their skin
we should be able to target any non-heterosexual player until we get them out of the game
we should be able to have ruckmen bashing the shit out of rovers
I'm all for a coach humiliating the skinny kid because a team lost
and yes all staff members at a footy club belonging to any union (after all unions always complain about whats wrong, like work conditions, pay etc) should be told to @#$%&! off
as for concussion don't get me started for flowers sake who cares what their heads like after footy!
Mums, daughters, disabled cousins, any and all are far game and can be used to taunt, humiliate, do anything to put a footballer off their game after all its footy.
Don't get me started on women's footy - that's for girls.

seriously Keogh, sometimes I think you may have tossed more than newspapers out of that window.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:07 am 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:
yep political correctness has ruined footy
we should be able to taunt any player by the colour of their skin
we should be able to target any non-heterosexual player until we get them out of the game
we should be able to have ruckmen bashing the shit out of rovers
I'm all for a coach humiliating the skinny kid because a team lost
and yes all staff members at a footy club belonging to any union (after all unions always complain about whats wrong, like work conditions, pay etc) should be told to @#$%&! off
as for concussion don't get me started for flowers sake who cares what their heads like after footy!
Mums, daughters, disabled cousins, any and all are far game and can be used to taunt, humiliate, do anything to put a footballer off their game after all its footy.
Don't get me started on women's footy - that's for girls.

seriously Keogh, sometimes I think you may have tossed more than newspapers out of that window.

That’s a bit of an extreme response Danny . Mind you
I do think we have gone to far in the other direction as a society
I was having dinner the other night with my 23 year old daughter and her 25 year old friend and I got told off for referring to a singer as a negro.
Lucky I didn’t say nigger not that I would say that.
If I was going to invest all my super into one company it would be a cotton wool company because we are all going to be rapped in it in a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 am 
Geoff Southby

All I know is the Carlton players collectively need to eat concrete

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:27 am 
Ken Hunter

good on her for pulling you up, its not hard to say African-American you know.

And yes the team does need to harden up which has, despite what people may think, nothing to do with also accepting the world has changed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:45 am 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:
good on her for pulling you up, its not hard to say African-American you know.

And yes the team does need to harden up which has, despite what people may think, nothing to do with also accepting the world has changed.

Well according to her any reference to colour which African-American is is a no no too so your a racist as well. Any reference to colour is wrong.
And while we are at it cross Caucasian from the Oxford dictionary. You can’t have it both ways.

I have actually not only accepted that the world has changed but it’s only going to get worse.
Every year language like Carlton gets softer and softer

And as the greatest comedian George Carlin said it takes the life out of life
As he said once when soldiers came back from WW1 and couldn’t cope adjusting to normal life it was called
Shell Shock
Simple two syllables to the point
Now it’s called
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Monkey bars are now called
Piped framed exercise units

And don’t get me started on Bunnings actually implementing policy that the local Rotary Club have to have the onions underneath the sausage during the Saturday morning sizzle others they get sued to the shithouse.

Yes the world has changed for the better

Anyway Teague needs to drop the softies this week

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:29 am 
Bruce Doull

Shouting at clouds intesifies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:56 am 
Bruce Doull

Rapted in cotton wool

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:57 am 
Ken Hunter

let me guess, monkey bars are called Piped framed exercise units because the companies making them can charge a heap more (and "personal trainers" can pretend they have a clever "new" exercise item) - neither has anything to do with political correctness and everything to do with re-branding.
PTSD is a recognised medical condition applicable to all sorts of situations not just 'shell shock" - again nothing to do with political correctness but about doctors/scientists wanting to correctly label a condition they need to treat.
Bunnings was/is a stupid OH&S recommendation - as far as I know no one has been sued - OH&S happy to bemoan but again not a political correctness issue.

and yes I hope Teague makes some changes - I'm worried he'll name Cottrell as the medical sub because...because DOW...really?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:37 am 
Geoff Southby

Do you have an opinion on toilet paper becoming bathroom tissue
Of course midgets and dwarfs are not midgets and dwarfs anymore
There vertically challenged people

African-American is cumbersome to say
It’s also confusing because so many countries exist in this geographical area
And there are so many different coloured people
Egypt is in Africa but Egyptians are not black
More like a lighter shade of brown.
It’s all fairly confusing isn it

There are so many many different coloured people.
And that’s what they are. Coloured. I am coloured.I am not completely white. Very light brown particularly after living in WA. If you think about it there are very few white people around.
Therefore there actually a minority group
But you can’t say coloured anymore.

Anyway mate I am so glad you have embraced this new crazy world we live in.
I am so happy for you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 266  Next