Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Rexy wrote:
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/571142/cripps-time-for-action

Reading between the lines dare I say the players were given a foot up the backside after the Freo praccy match.

yes, but im afraid, having witnesses many false dawns that talk is cheap ...

its all about the actions..

(having said that, im not losing my mind over a practise match either)

I think Rexy is right.

I don't see this as a false dawn. I read this as the newbies reality they wont be gifted games coz there's no more excuses.

With the addition of seasoned players Betts Martin and Newnes (and maybe Webb or Moore), along with the return to the team after a 2 year lay off from Docherty and Williamson....then there's the eagerness of new draftee Philp ... and the next lot of additions for 2021, which includes Kemp...there's something to play for this year, and its called a chance to play AFL, or not. Pressure for spots.

The reality is some of the ones we hope to be guns in the 20-23 age group won’t be.

The freo game showed those group of players are still not good enough, unless it was a one off, but looked like a continuation of much of 2019 for Cuningham, Setterfield, Dow, Kennedy and JSOS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Adam Chatfield wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
ScottSaunders2 wrote:
Rexy wrote:
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/571142/cripps-time-for-action

Reading between the lines dare I say the players were given a foot up the backside after the Freo praccy match.

yes, but im afraid, having witnesses many false dawns that talk is cheap ...

its all about the actions..

(having said that, im not losing my mind over a practise match either)

I think Rexy is right.

I don't see this as a false dawn. I read this as the newbies reality they wont be gifted games coz there's no more excuses.

With the addition of seasoned players Betts Martin and Newnes (and maybe Webb or Moore), along with the return to the team after a 2 year lay off from Docherty and Williamson....then there's the eagerness of new draftee Philp ... and the next lot of additions for 2021, which includes Kemp...there's something to play for this year, and its called a chance to play AFL, or not. Pressure for spots.

The reality is some of the ones we hope to be guns in the 20-23 age group won’t be.

The freo game showed those group of players are still not good enough, unless it was a one off, but looked like a continuation of much of 2019 for Cuningham, Setterfield, Dow, Kennedy and JSOS.

Togh on Jack. he had a good season last year after he broke in.
The others were both coming off no pre-season or had injuries during the season.
I think Jack will be a fringe player but he brings the passion every week Cripps was talking about. That's currncy. I think Setterfield will bean automatic selection once he gets going. Kennedy and Cunningham are role players. Cunningham is the better of the two but is injury prone.
We have several players in the fringe bracket now who would have played every week in 2018-9.
That's a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:14 pm 
Harry Vallence

Yup we need one more thorough list clean out, more mature talent in before we can contemplate minor finals appearances.
It will take a while yet, momentum is very positive and potential is evident , we’re on the ascendancy let’s be patient.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bmaurizio wrote:
Yup we need one more thorough list clean out, more mature talent in before we can contemplate minor finals appearances.
It will take a while yet, momentum is very positive and potential is evident , we’re on the ascendancy let’s be patient.

I feel the recruitment of Kemp is that harder body we need to compliment Cripps and Walsh in the future, but this year, unless Setterfield shows that preseason hardness, whilst dancing with his sister, not last week's form, then the only other bigger bodied mids we potentially have are Jack and Kennedy. ie Jack is the only other one. Kennedy doesn't fill me with confidence like Jack does in the midfield, coz he has concrete boots...thus far.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:04 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Jack is the only other one. Kennedy doesn't fill me with confidence like Jack does in the midfield, coz he has concrete boots...thus far.

I thought Kennedy looked OK when he went into the midfield last week.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Jack is the only other one. Kennedy doesn't fill me with confidence like Jack does in the midfield, coz he has concrete boots...thus far.

I thought Kennedy looked OK when he went into the midfield last week.

He had moments ... just a few over 60 minutes.
I wasnt counting. Was a handful or so I think
Uninspiring for me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:12 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Does Teague stand up in front of the group this morning and call out Murphy for his mentally weak and lazy 50m give away ...or does he let it go in fear Murph and his mates will sook it up and go on strike again ..?

#culture

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:20 am 
Bruce Comben

I feel for Teague. He’s pushing sh!t up hill with this average list he has to work with.

On the flips side, SOS can thank his lucky stars he was moved on at the end of last year. He has butchered this list rebuild, I have no doubt about this. But being moved on means he can wipe his hands clean of another poor year and blame the ‘lack of development’ and not his own inability to indentify talent.

One other point I’d like to make is I was surprised not to see changes made in the coaches box. I would have liked to see some IP from other clubs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
Does Teague stand up in front of the group this morning and call out Murphy for his mentally weak and lazy 50m give away ...or does he let it go in fear Murph and his mates will sook it up and go on strike again ..?

#culture

Apart from making you feel better, do you think that would achieve anything at all?
Every player makes mistakes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:49 am 
Stephen Silvagni

There's a difference between 'mistakes' and 'lazy undisciplined efforts', especially for a senior player that's supposed to set the tone.

I don't know about you, but I'm well over half arsed efforts from senior players. It shouldn't be the standard they walk past.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

A senior player running defensively to fill up the defensive 50 is hardly lazy or undisciplined. Marc Murphy makes his share of mistakes but that 50 is the last thing Teague would be worrying about.
You talk about culture, singling out a senior player for running too close to the mark whilst pushing back to aid the defence is the ideal way to lose the players.
Actions like that destroy culture, they don't build it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:09 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

You're right, it's too much to ask for senior players to observe straight forward rules rather than trying to take shortcuts and giving away a goal and momentum. Onya Marc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:18 pm 
John Nicholls

Rexy wrote:
You're right, it's too much to ask for senior players to observe straight forward rules rather than trying to take shortcuts and giving away a goal and momentum. Onya Marc.

It was a brain-fade. Murphy knows the rules. He won't do it again in-season I'm sure. Move along.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:

Nice try but you know that isn't the point. :wink:
I wasn't happy Murphy gave away the 50 but calling for the coach to stand him in front of the group and call him out for being mentally weak and lazy?
You'll lose your Guardian card carrying membership expecting employers to behave like that. :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:11 pm 
Bruce Comben

some players seem to come be a bit perplexed with the preseason program implemented by Teague. A lot of repetitive drills that didn’t add up to anything are the exact words used by someone. Not a lot of work was done on game style instead an emphasis for players to play on instinct and to their individuals strengths. This player feels like he doesn’t know his spot or role in the team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Vain wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Nice try but you know that isn't the point. :wink:
I wasn't happy Murphy gave away the 50 but calling for the coach to stand him in front of the group and call him out for being mentally weak and lazy?
You'll lose your Guardian card carrying membership expecting employers to behave like that. :grin:

Yes yes we can't risk the toys being thrown out of the cot ...again. We luv you Marc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

blues_clues wrote:
some players seem to come be a bit perplexed with the preseason program implemented by Teague. A lot of repetitive drills that didn’t add up to anything are the exact words used by someone. Not a lot of work was done on game style instead an emphasis for players to play on instinct and to their individuals strengths. This player feels like he doesn’t know his spot or role in the team.

Great, just what we want to hear.
How long until a Sakc Teague thread appears?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

blues_clues wrote:

Is the player Polson?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:27 pm 
John Nicholls

CFC8795 wrote:
blues_clues wrote:

Is the player Polson?

:lol: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
There's a difference between 'mistakes' and 'lazy undisciplined efforts', especially for a senior player that's supposed to set the tone.

I don't know about you, but I'm well over half arsed efforts from senior players. It shouldn't be the standard they walk past.

It was the token 50m penalty. Yes, it was there but the umps missed several others that were more obvious.
What I can't understand is the tendency last year and now this last couple of weeks to allow players not in a marking contest to scruff the player who took the mark from behind and hold on to him while his team mates set up downfield. I would have thought that constituted entering the protected area on a far bigger scale than running past him three metres away.
IMO, if you aren't in the marking contest and you grab or block the player and stop him from moving forward of the mark, it's an automatic 50 metre penalty.
I don't blame the players or coaches for the trend, thy will always play to the edge.
The fault lies squarely with the umpires.
When 5000 people in the crowd yell 'fifty' in unison, you can bet there's a good reason for it. When 50,000 do it, it s even more compelling but mostly nothing happens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 266  Next