Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
You sound like you've stamped Dow's papers.

Dow wasn't rubbish in round 1. He played well last year as an 19yo

The team allowed tigers a 42 point head start. He lacked the leaders around him 20yo should expect support from.
Whilst he didn't get too many disposals, he gained metres and got involved with a lot of physical stuff.
You shouldn't expect a 20yo to carry our team to the promised land. He needed support around him. It didn't come.
He got caught a couple of times trying to bust through opponents in the middle; that's his role.
I was rapt to see he tried to do that, but his young 20yo body didn't allow it, plus he got injured.

Wearing some very rose coloured glasses here Bondi. He had 7 disposals, only 4 of those were effective, had just 2 contested possessions and only 4 Carlton players had less meters gained (including Kreuzer).

This is where I find the commentary about Murphy frustrating. Dow’s round 1 performance was inferior to anything Murphy has dished up this season, by some way, yet many on this site are retiring Murphy and inflating Dow’s performances at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

I feel our coach needs to learn to think on his feet and possibly not sit on his hands so much.

Put trust in the players but also have more options throughout the game to control the implementation of our game plan from the coaches box.

I hope he will start doing this with experience.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

cecil89 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Dow wasn't rubbish in round 1. He played well last year as an 19yo

The team allowed tigers a 42 point head start. He lacked the leaders around him 20yo should expect support from.
Whilst he didn't get too many disposals, he gained metres and got involved with a lot of physical stuff.
You shouldn't expect a 20yo to carry our team to the promised land. He needed support around him. It didn't come.
He got caught a couple of times trying to bust through opponents in the middle; that's his role.
I was rapt to see he tried to do that, but his young 20yo body didn't allow it, plus he got injured.

Wearing some very rose coloured glasses here Bondi. He had 7 disposals, only 4 of those were effective, had just 2 contested possessions and only 4 Carlton players had less meters gained (including Kreuzer).

This is where I find the commentary about Murphy frustrating. Dow’s round 1 performance was inferior to anything Murphy has dished up this season, by some way, yet many on this site are retiring Murphy and inflating Dow’s performances at the same time.

I know that wasn't directed at me but I agree with Bondi so I am going to put in my two bob's worth anyway. :razz:
Dow had a barely OK game first up and then got injured. Not fair to write him off after one game. He was showing some serious glimpses last year apart from his goal kicking, which is his achilles heel. The fact he has been BOG or thereabouts two weeks in a row in the practice matches has to count for something otherwise he might as well not be there. Then if he gets played, he will have to have a couple of weeks to adjust to the pace.
Murphy is being criticised for his body of work over the year, which has been flukey and not befitting of a leader of the club. On paper his raw stats look OK but they flatter him based on the definition of an effective disposal, which is anything including going to a contest or better.
His defence is not good. He can't tackle at all unless the opposition player runs at his body. His shoulders are rooted so they just break through. h hovers around the back of stoppages looking for the easy possession far too much. Opposition teams play through his opponent. He also goes when it's his turn, no question about that but if we count actual possessions to advantage he is down on where he should be IMO. Having said that, when he can get space he is usually a good user of the footy and every week there is a pinpoint kick or handball we can highlight.
Dow will get his chance in the next three weeks as we play back to back to back games. Someone has to be managed. Maybe Murphy. Probably Honey. Dow is a mid who has been played at HFF far too much. Let Murphy have a rest and give Dow a chance to show us what he has got but he needs a run at it. Same with Honey and Philp.
We all love Murphy for what he has been and the fact he stuck with us when he had other opportunities. He could have had 3-4 cups with Brisbane for a start. His time is on us. He shouldn't be playing out his career in the twos, which means next year's contract was based on him playing again next season. It was a soft option IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:
He could have had 3-4 cups with Brisbane for a start.

If he’d taken a spot from Voss, Black, Lappin, Akermanis or Power when he was a 13yo I guess that’s possible.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

GWS wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
He could have had 3-4 cups with Brisbane for a start.

If he’d taken a spot from Voss, Black, Lappin, Akermanis or Power when he was a 13yo I guess that’s possible.

Murphy and Fev getting the band together with Brown and Black. There's three for a start.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Dow wasn't rubbish in round 1. He played well as a 19yo.

Nah. You are hearing little voices my friend.

I watched the round 1 again whilst in isolation last week, and thought Dow did really well....for a kid who just turned 19yo 5 months prior. He took the game on. He showed courage. He lacked leaders around him, and he put his body on the line. He showed good signs for a 19yo...and he got injured in the process. I think I explained that. Its normal to look for signs in kids under 23yo let alone just 19yo that they are going to make AFL footballers.

Don't mix the messages, throw my name in then connect all that to Mark Murphy. Weird stuff there cecil.

Murphy wasn't mentioned in this post, yet, back to my post re Dow in round 1, everyone in the footy community suggested our leaders didn't lead in that game, hence the 42 point start. ie Kids were not lead by leaders as one would expect. All leasders were missing in the first quarter. Which part did you misconstrue? All of it, it seems.

The commentary about Murphy is mixed, he has his fans and his detractors, but it all started from the question one poster put forward about Murphy's 1 year extension.That's it. Thereafter it has become an analysis of Murphy's form...but that's othing new, because Murphy's form has been up and down (due to injury and form) since his last good year: 2017.

If you want to muck around with numbers I can hand pick games Dow has played where he has more possessions etc than Murphy's, but I'm not here to pick on Murphy or play this stupid Pro Muphy vs Anti Murphy groups, coz I'm neither.

Stick to the message of the post...I thought Dow did well in some areas and I explained that, but the numbers didn't show this. Just like is mentioned about Murphy, its not always just about numbers, because experience is an important ingredient and of value for the team this year. That's all.

FYI, I did applaud Murphy's game on the weekend, but FMD he didn't set the world on fire like he did in 2011 and 2017. Some of his disposals were sloppy but the conditions were sloppy too. Good to see Murphy doing a few more of the physical things which are not negotiable, but that's happened since the comments made by Mark Robinson. Coincidence? The spotlight is on Murphy, but not in my post you quoted.

I'm sick of the Murphy debate TBH. I just want to see him retire with a huge appreciative send off for his loyalty and leadership during the bad times, and if we can win the Flag with Simmo and Muph in the team, ala Shane Crawford last season, I would be happy with that and for him.

Lets hope Murph has a rippa game this Friday, coz if he doesn't stand up, our season is over, and the spotlight will be on the oldies Simmo Betts Murphy for obvious reason, whether you like it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
All our youngsters wont go anywhere club invested heavily in the draft

But they do need to earn their spot and not gifted.

Honey deserves a game based on form and thats the way it should be and now its up to him to hold it.

If we don't start winning and playing finals, the kids will be influenced. I agree with earning their spot.

rhino27 wrote:
Willo was amongst our best on the weekend. Wont be replaced by anyone.

Agree. Just needs games into him to build form. Has missed a lot of footy.

It seems you are suggesting there's a form issue, but he was one of our best?

I know we would be having a completely different discussion if Newnes hadn't kicked that goal.

Willo is finding his feet and improving every week imo. I love that he's taking the game on instead of going into his shell.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
Willo was very good on the weekend, best game he has played for about a month.

I'd suggest Marchbank could replace SPS who can move forward/wing or interchange.

If they do that, it might make our backline too tall.
They played Marchy on the wing in the praccy match. It would be a handy go to option if he does that and would allow Harry to stay a bit deeper.
I do want SPS to go upfield, though.

This old pearler about being too tall.
This comes up because the thought is the more talls we have the slower we become.

Marchbank is not slow. Hence why they tried him on the wing in the 2019 preseason and last weeks ressies.
He is an amazing specimen.

Plowman plays small forwards well.

Just watch when the Marchbank selection happens, his detractors will bring up his disposal because of his first game back last year vs the Pies when he kicked the ball in the corridor for a 45 metre pass and didn't make the intended target .... and we lost. He did realy well for a guy who was missing all year ... then got re injured.

I love what the media( OTC or 360) had to say about his form in the ressies this week, and their description of him being one of our top 5 players, and his ability, with his return to the seniors he will bolster the team, therefore the future looking really good for the Blues.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Yep. Marchbank has good closing speed and he's a brilliant spoiler. Williamson has concerned me a couple of times bending over to pick up the ball. I'm unsure if his back is restricting him.
We wouldn't lose anything replacing Willo or SPS with Marchbank. Plus he can play on talls or smalls. His disposal is average but his intercept marking and willingness to create is excellent. We've missed him. We just need him to stay on the park.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:32 pm 
John Nicholls

Blue Vain wrote:
Yep. Marchbank has good closing speed and he's a brilliant spoiler. Williamson has concerned me a couple of times bending over to pick up the ball. I'm unsure if his back is restricting him.
We wouldn't lose anything replacing Willo or SPS with Marchbank. Plus he can play on talls or smalls. His disposal is average but his intercept marking and willingness to create is excellent. We've missed him. We just need him to stay on the park.

Play him on a wing. He can be a good outlet hit-up from half back without having to bring Gov or McKay (or Levi) too far up the ground.

When our tall forwards present up towards the centre (which is sometimes required with an opposition press), we're often left with nothing in attack.

A tall and mobile wingman is key to "lengthening" our posture.

Also, I still maintain we should play Dow as a run-with on the oppositions' second best midfielder. Will get him in the game and show him where to run.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:44 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Being willing to sacrifice Willo, one of our best weapons out of defence and congestion, is madness.

Marchy, when fit, is a better player than Plowman.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:05 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Our best back 6 when all available are, IMO...

Weiters, Jones - key backs
Marchy - 3rd tall/sweeper
Doch, Willo - rebounding half backs

The 6th spot is out of Newman, Plow, Simmo, Newnes and anyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

It's great to have "rebounding half backs" but the key is to also have a defender who stops the oppositions best forwards.
Plowman is easily our best defender of small forwards. That's why he'll get a game before most of those players.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
It's great to have "rebounding half backs" but the key is to also have a defender who stops the oppositions best forwards.
Plowman is easily our best defender of small forwards. That's why he'll get a game before most of those players.
Here Plow you mind Waters and Fyfe when he is forward.
Carlton supporters " get rid of Plow he is useless "
Its quite funny

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

Bolton's big 4 tall backmen was never our problem.
Bolts and SOS built this team starting with the spine, then the backline down.
Mids and Small forward still in demand post Betts....Fish may be it.

Weitering 2016
Plowman 2016
Marchbank 2017

Jones came on in 2018
Casboult came on in 20

Simmo was there for 3 decades

Williamson 2017
Macreadie 2017

IMO Williamson releases Marchbank to wing, not replaces him.

Tall but very mobile and quick talls.

I loved watching Plow oorganising the back line in the first quarter after their 3rd goal.
Doc was there, Simmo was there, but Plow was doing all the talking.
Looked like he was referring to their set up combating the opposition.
That's what I like to think it was. May have been talking about the next Ping Pong game at the Resort

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Bolton's big 4 tall backmen was never our problem.
Bolts and SOS built this team starting with the spine, then the backline down.
Mids and Small forward still in demand post Betts....Fish may be it.

Weitering 2016
Plowman 2016
Marchbank 2017

Jones came on in 2018
Casboult came on in 20

Simmo was there for 3 decades

Williamson 2017
Macreadie 2017

IMO Williamson releases Marchbank to wing, not replaces him.

Tall but very mobile and quick talls.

I loved watching Plow oorganising the back line in the first quarter after their 3rd goal.
Doc was there, Simmo was there, but Plow was doing all the talking.
Looked like he was referring to their set up combating the opposition.
That's what I like to think it was. May have been talking about the next Ping Pong game at the Resort

They are all close checking backmen, who aren't scared to take front position.
Mistakes on the last line always cost more than up the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Its quite funny

Funny isn’t the word I was thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

When I think of Marchbank’s best football I recall it being part of the back 6, not on the wing. For me, you put Weitering, Marchbank, Docherty and Plowman in your back 6 and then you find the right mix to fill the other 2-3 spots. You don’t force Marchbank to play out of position to accommodate a Williamson, Jones or Newman type.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:49 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Its quite funny

Funny isn’t the word I was thinking.

Solid.
Versatile.
Brave.
He is a bit light to go body on body but he isn't frightened to have a crack.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cecil89 wrote:
When I think of Marchbank’s best football I recall it being part of the back 6, not on the wing. For me, you put Weitering, Marchbank, Docherty and Plowman in your back 6 and then you find the right mix to fill the other 2-3 spots. You don’t force Marchbank to play out of position to accommodate a Williamson, Jones or Newman type.

I agree backline is where we have seen his best football, but that's all we have seen. I don't think Marchbank is a one position player.

It must be remembered Marchbank did play a midfield role at times in the Under 18's, also at GWS played forward and like Plowman also played wing there. GWS had a few of these Collingwood 6 foot wingmen being developed.

Furthermore, Marchbank showed great signs playing on the wing in the preseason games in 2018. He didn't look out of place there.

I just want him fit and in the team. The MC should know where he suits us best

Last edited by bondiblue on Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 266  Next