Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Bring back the diamond.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jezzarules wrote:
Our set plays haven't been good since we lost Paganite
To be fair, it would be handy if we had set plays....

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

We’re pretty good with the 15 metre short pass to the back pocket from the kick out.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
We’re pretty good with the 15 metre short pass to the back pocket from the kick out.
Is the ' 5 seconds of looking around wondering what to do' part of that set play?

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:42 am 
Ken Hunter

I prefer the go bounday, go bounday - centre the ball to their free defender at our CHF. Works every time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:00 am 
Geoff Southby

Hornet wrote:
MIL wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
If he continues to not get a team up to start a game he is going to get critiquing from the whole football industry
It’s a standing joke and he needs to rectify it quickly otherwise he will come to grief
With the players at his disposal he needs to do better no longer caretaker
It will be 0-3 next week and the natives will become restless with another season in tatters

It's a woeful record but don't be fooled by the list....its paper thin and some are way over-rated e.g. McGovern.

Yeah I've never been as excited about our list as others on here... we have some very good players but as a group, I believe our list is nothing more than mid-table quality.

Mid table is a ceiling on our current group of players, at best unless we add to it.

Actually I’d go further, I’d say 13th is the ceiling for this group of players.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:17 am 
John Nicholls

We're so far off a Premiership list it's not even funny.

The nucleus may be there... but the periphery isn't up to it. We've been in a similar boat for ~15 years.

The difference is in being able to bring in good free agents and fill the gaps. In failing to do so (for various reasons) we've filled the gaps with B and at times C grade players.

Not a recipe for success.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:23 am 
John Nicholls

You can rattle off the players we targeted but did not get. Last year it was Coniglio and Papley... the year before who was it? The year before that?

Your Hawthorns, your Richmonds, your Geelongs, etc. they constantly land the big fish and are always competitive as a result. They are on a self-perpetuating upward spiral, enabled by a system that allows it. We are on a self-perpetuating downward spiral, hampered by a system that makes it especially hard to break out without massive concessions. Concessions we have constantly been denied.

We had to take a different approach by trading out what talent we had and bringing in youth. Massive risk - it relied upon nailing draft picks and investing heavily in development. We've nailed some, but missed others.

Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse, Bolton, Teague................. rearrange the deck chairs for some nice optics as the ship takes on water.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:00 pm 
Bob Chitty

robertbb wrote:
You can rattle off the players we targeted but did not get. Last year it was Coniglio and Papley... the year before who was it? The year before that?

Your Hawthorns, your Richmonds, your Geelongs, etc. they constantly land the big fish and are always competitive as a result. They are on a self-perpetuating upward spiral, enabled by a system that allows it. We are on a self-perpetuating downward spiral, hampered by a system that makes it especially hard to break out without massive concessions. Concessions we have constantly been denied.

We had to take a different approach by trading out what talent we had and bringing in youth. Massive risk - it relied upon nailing draft picks and investing heavily in development. We've nailed some, but missed others.

Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse, Bolton, Teague................. rearrange the deck chairs for some nice optics as the ship takes on water.

While I agree with many of your points, I would add that Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond all built their premiership teams from the draft. Hawks took Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Buddy, Roughu, Birchall and Rioli on the draft. Ditto the Cats for Ablett, Chapman, Bartel, Enright, Scarlett, Johnson etc. Ditto the Tigers for Rance, Riewoldt, Martin and Cotchin. Those groups delivered on their potential and started making their way quickly up the ladder. And then, once they got close to becoming a contender, they were able to recruit well from other clubs. This is because they could sell success. Take Tom Lynch for example, he just wouldn’t have gone to Richmond at the end of 2018 if they were a bottom 4 club.

This is the situation we find ourselves in. We can’t recruit A graders from other clubs because we can’t sell them on success. All the see is bottom 4 and other stats such as no wins in the first two games in a season since 2012. The players understand how much more enjoyable footy is when they’re playing in a winning side. This is why we can’t recruit against Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond at the moment.

However, like those teams you mentioned, I think we will be able to recruit effectively if our current group can become a finals team. Then we can sell future success. We’ve got the money in the cap and the big supporter base, all we need is the success. That’s why it’s so important that we can move forward in the next few years. We’ve started to put together the talent, the talent is being developed but, ultimately, it’s going to come down to the desire, will power and intent of our players to become successful. We haven’t seen in rounds 1 and 2. Let’s hope Saturday can be the turning point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:27 pm 
John Nicholls

Fair points too.

Remember, Hawthorn got a priority pick (Hodge). Geelong got father-sons. Both also had their rebuilds done and dusted before the expansion clubs and compromised drafts, and just in time to make use of free agency (and the promise of success). I'm not sure our situation is comparable.

Richmond is probably a better comparison. Remember when we beat them in the elimination final...? It would be poignant to dissect what has happened since. They've gone from strength to strength.... we've descended into disfunction.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

They actually stagnated after that elimination final against us for a few years. Then everything clicked in 2017.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:57 pm 
Bob Chitty

robertbb wrote:
Fair points too.

Remember, Hawthorn got a priority pick (Hodge). Geelong got father-sons. Both also had their rebuilds done and dusted before the expansion clubs and compromised drafts, and just in time to make use of free agency (and the promise of success). I'm not sure our situation is comparable.

Richmond is probably a better comparison. Remember when we beat them in the elimination final...? It would be poignant to dissect what has happened since. They've gone from strength to strength.... we've descended into disfunction.

I do agree with you that’s it’s tougher to succeed in undertaking a rebuild now than 15 years ago, given there are no more priority picks (unless you’re GC) and the talent pool is a bit thinner due to having 18 teams. However, the equation is still the same: gather and develop young talent and create a winning culture. I think it’s still doable and there’s now no choice but to make it happen, otherwise we’ll be in the doldrums for another decade.

On the hawthorn and Geelong point, for me, it’s not just the quality of talent they recruited, it’s the mentality of those guys. A win at all costs mentality that they developed together. For me, this is what’s currently missing. Are we a top 8 list? No, we’re not, but we have a mass of young talent coming through. Are we a bottom 4 list? Personally, no I think we’re better than that and, if we finish bottom 4, it will be only our mindset and attitude that puts us there. Maybe this is where we differ.

On the Richmond point, they did stagnate from 2013 to 2017 but they maintained their core group of guys who they invested at the draft: Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance etc. In my view, what was missing was that ruthlessness and attitude that they later developed.

The other elephant in the room is off field. All three of those clubs are ruthless off the field and, when this is combined with a ruthlessness on field, creates a mighty club. I’m no offield expert but it’s fair to say we aren’t near these clubs in that regard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Lace Out wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if SOS played it a little safe with recruiting, in terms of character types with his sons at the club.. possibly bypassing better players.. it's just a thought that crosses my minds sometimes.

Teague was a brave/hard player, I'm sure that attribute is high on his requirements regarding recruitment going forward.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have never thought this.
The list manager is (usually) told what types to recruit by the coach based on the projected game plan.
Nobody will ever convince me that SOS favoured his kids. He separated himself from those particular decisions.
Jack can play. He also has in spades what was lacking in the first quarter last weekend, desire and effort. No way he would have been standing around like Harry watching opposition players win the footy.
Ben we don't know about but one thing he does have, is the pressure of being a Silvagni that sits heavy on all of them. He will bring the same level of intent to the game that Serge had, that SOS had, Alex had and Jack has. Games are won by getting the footy and putting it through the sticks. In the first quarter we did neither.
SOS had a shit hand in a high stakes poker game. Everybody knows it's impossible to get a team off the bottom with one first rounder and one second rounder per year. The AFL knows it and that's why Richmond, Hawthorn, StK and nor GCS have their priority picks and in the case of GCS, draft ad zone concessions that everybody was a bit put out at but really didnt think would amount to anything in the long term. If they get into the top 10 this year and then get their priority pick this year and their academy players and their zone players, Eddie will start the complaints.
SOS never got any of that. He had to turn lead into gold. He had some wins and some losses and some we still don't know about.
Our development team has a lot to answer for as well. Russell will do well because he has the track record but how many of our players never developed or got worse before that?
Holman is playing better in the GCS. Gower is at least playing at the Dogs after not even getting a game for us.
We'd probably have Coniglio except the AFL deliberately intervened and now Cogs is getting paid partly outside the cap as an AFL ambassador or whatever it is.
I can never work out why SOS gets blamed for everything. As Carlton supporters we have always wanted instant gratification.
He didn't give us that. We don't really know what he gave us yet. Most of the recruits from the draft aren't shaving yet, let alone playing good footy. Let them develop before we crucify SOS. If he'd delivered Cogs, we'd look a lot better..... That's why Gil the dill stepped in. It's also why GCS didn't get their package until we jumped above them on the ladder.
Blame him. He can't stand the thought of a strong Carlton. When we're strong, we hold sway in the direction of the AFL decision making process, like Collingwood. That doesn't suit them.
End of rant.

An incredibly ill informed post!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

david31 wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Fair points too.

I do agree with you that’s it’s tougher to succeed in undertaking a rebuild now than 15 years ago, given there are no more priority picks (unless you’re GC) and the talent pool is a bit thinner due to having 18 teams. However, the equation is still the same: gather and develop young talent and create a winning culture. I think it’s still doable and there’s now no choice but to make it happen, otherwise we’ll be in the doldrums for another decade.

On the hawthorn and Geelong point, for me, it’s not just the quality of talent they recruited, it’s the mentality of those guys. A win at all costs mentality that they developed together. For me, this is what’s currently missing. Are we a top 8 list? No, we’re not, but we have a mass of young talent coming through. Are we a bottom 4 list? Personally, no I think we’re better than that and, if we finish bottom 4, it will be only our mindset and attitude that puts us there. Maybe this is where we differ.

On the Richmond point, they did stagnate from 2013 to 2017 but they maintained their core group of guys who they invested at the draft: Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance etc. In my view, what was missing was that ruthlessness and attitude that they later developed.

The other elephant in the room is off field. All three of those clubs are ruthless off the field and, when this is combined with a ruthlessness on field, creates a mighty club. I’m no offield expert but it’s fair to say we aren’t near these clubs in that regard.

What a great post.

When Hawthorn started their rebuild in 2002 with Hodge, Roughie coming in, then Clarkson took the reigns in 2005 then recruited Buddy etc, he instilled in them one non negotiable: unsociable footy.

Clarkson drummed this culture of going in hard, verbalising, and being outright rude and pushing the laws to the limit. That mantra remains and was evident last night with the midfield's attack on the ball and he man.

Non of our coaches have mentioned unsociable footy. Pagan took over a dud, Ratten developed speed and a game plan around Judd, Mathouse was a wasted opportunity losing Eddie, Waite, Garlett, Robbo...gosh for a while there, the handful of ex Blues were kicking greater scores than the whole Carlton team nearly every weekend, then the total rebuild with SOS and Bolton with elite high draft picks with good manners, good values, good families, then Teague took over so the players can have some fun and enjoy their time on the park.

Wheres our unsociable hard nut finals footy style? It hasn't been part of the players development. We should be ruthless about being single minded about winning and smashing the opposition in the game of attrition.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Remember the debate around drafting Charlie between SOS and Brendon.

No. :?

Because there was none....

There was a debate about Cunningham and Dunkley...

There was a debate about Macreadie and Graham...

There was a debate about LOB and Richards....

There was many, many other debates,SOS won them all!

They weren’t really debates...

One of things Bolton bitterly complained about on his way out to Liddle, was not being provided enough mids, and a list manager not being interested in his requirements. It’s why our list has so many holes!!

It’s why SOS was sacked, nothing to do with his boys....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

ColourMan wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

One of things Bolton bitterly complained about on his way out to Liddle, was not being provided enough mids, and a list manager not being interested in his requirements. It’s why our list has so many holes!!

I can buy that.

Still love SOS, but his list is talented, no doubt, but too nice to play winning footy unless they can be developed to do so.

If they can't adapt to the physical demands of winning footy, then they should go back to footy at a lower level where they are a big ish in a small pond.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:44 pm 
Bob Chitty

bondiblue wrote:
david31 wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Fair points too.

What a great post.

When Hawthorn started their rebuild in 2002 with Hodge, Roughie coming in, then Clarkson took the reigns in 2005 then recruited Buddy etc, he instilled in them one non negotiable: unsociable footy.

Clarkson drummed this culture of going in hard, verbalising, and being outright rude and pushing the laws to the limit. That mantra remains and was evident last night with the midfield's attack on the ball and he man.

Non of our coaches have mentioned unsociable footy. Pagan took over a dud, Ratten developed speed and a game plan around Judd, Mathouse was a wasted opportunity losing Eddie, Waite, Garlett, Robbo...gosh for a while there, the handful of ex Blues were kicking greater scores than the whole Carlton team nearly every weekend, then the total rebuild with SOS and Bolton with elite high draft picks with good manners, good values, good families, then Teague took over so the players can have some fun and enjoy their time on the park.

Wheres our unsociable hard nut finals footy style? It hasn't been part of the players development. We should be ruthless about being single minded about winning and smashing the opposition in the game of attrition.

Absolutely spot on. A great post. That final question is what will define the club going forward and the success of the rebuild. If we can create this ruthless culture, the sky is the limit. If not, we won’t be achieving anything great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

ColourMan wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Rubbish!!

You post is typical of pointing the finger and redirection - ala CFC board and management.
The plan was set out and everyone agreed to the implementation unfortunately when it failed, as it was going too, the gun was pointed at SoS to buy more time. Gutless, two faced individuals.

There was a debate between Bolton and SoS regarding Charlie and his antics including the late drink drive implosion!! if you listen to a predraft discussion closely, you might even pick it with SoS backing in Charlie (even though the kid isn't named).

Anyway, Bolton complained about no experienced midfielders but he was all in on the plan from the outset and knew why we weren't able to get any through the door. He didn't like that we failed to land a experienced midfielder and was frustrated but who wasn't? Problem was every midfielder we went after, we didn't get, because of our on field progress. Bolton needed to redirect to try and save his job and did.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

robertbb wrote:
Fair points too.

Well we haven’t beaten them since and unlikely to for the foreseeable future, so there is that too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
ColourMan wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Rubbish!!

You post is typical of pointing the finger and redirection - ala CFC board and management.
The plan was set out and everyone agreed to the implementation unfortunately when it failed, as it was going too, the gun was pointed at SoS to buy more time. Gutless, two faced individuals.

There was a debate between Bolton and SoS regarding Charlie and his antics including the late drink drive implosion!! if you listen to a predraft discussion closely, you might even pick it with SoS backing in Charlie (even though the kid isn't named).

Anyway, Bolton complained about no experienced midfielders but he was all in on the plan from the outset and knew why we weren't able to get any through the door. He didn't like that we failed to land a experienced midfielder and was frustrated but who wasn't? Problem was every midfielder we went after, we didn't get, because of our on field progress. Bolton needed to redirect to try and save his job and did.

Your post is laughable... I have no love for the CFC board/management who allowed one person total control to flower up our list.

SOS’s first trade/draft period raised that many red flags that I spent an hour raising my concerns with the CEO.. we kept in contact because my concerns were considered valid... once the CEO started asking questions about the list he was shown the door by SOS’s best mate... the new CEO blindly accepted that our list was brilliant (as presented to him by SOS) until he was presented evidence/analysis to the contrary... it took our new CEO 12 months to remove SOS because he was terrible.... and even SOS’s best mate, the prez and the board couldn’t save him because the evidence was so overwhelming!

Just some facts for you, Bolton supported the drafting of Curnow.... Bolton complained about many, many things...

At this stage, in 5 trade periods/drafts/rookie drafts, we have added 4 mids of any substance... Walsh, Samo, Fisher and Dow

And many would consider this to be overly positive!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 266  Next