Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

camel wrote:
Further evidence, if it's even required, of the cost our many quarter-long fadeouts this season…

https://twitter.com/sirswampthing/statu ... 9536829441

Love your work Camel.............but i reckon that is the biggest bullshit stat in footy..........Melbourne Cup is two miles.They don't pay at the clock tower.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's a bullshit stat if you're claiming the final 8 should be based on total quarters won, rather than total games.

But as another indicator of how costly our inconsistency within a game can be, then I think it's a reasonable representation (ie. had we been able to perform more evenly across all four quarters then we could be in the 8).

Aaaaand it also serves as another reminder of conceding 5 goal run ons. The heat will be on Teague if we keep that shit up next season.

Anyway, if nothing else it shows with (hopefully) a few tweaks in mental preparation and coaching strategies that we're capable of making the 8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
camel wrote:
Further evidence, if it's even required, of the cost our many quarter-long fadeouts this season…

https://twitter.com/sirswampthing/statu ... 9536829441

Love your work Camel.............but i reckon that is the biggest bullshit stat in footy..........Melbourne Cup is two miles.They don't pay at the clock tower.

Camel, you are a legend. :thumbsup:

Ive been thinking about that.

Thought I'd call on CC1961, but he's prbably working on some new algebra to look at Carlton in a favourable way

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

camel wrote:
It's a bullshit stat if you're claiming the final 8 should be based on total quarters won, rather than total games.

But as another indicator of how costly our inconsistency within a game can be, then I think it's a reasonable representation (ie. had we been able to perform more evenly across all four quarters then we could be in the 8).

Aaaaand it also serves as another reminder of conceding 5 goal run ons. The heat will be on Teague if we keep that shit up next season.

Anyway, if nothing else it shows with (hopefully) a few tweaks in mental preparation and coaching strategies that we're capable of making the 8.

You got it. consistency.

all the above accompanied with the addition of some good players and :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

camel wrote:

I agree, it is a bullshit stat. A bit like claiming to win the the most sessions in a cricket Test Match but losing the match overall. It means donuts.
It also means teams just have to play one good quarter to beat us. The opposition don’t care about the other three as long as they win the game.
Remember during our halcyon days, David Parkin’s Premiership quarters? One good quarter was enough to win.

So many posters saying “We are not far off”. I hope they are right.
Hopefully in 2021 we won’t be clutching at these straws. :donk:
Go Blues! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CFC8795 wrote:
camel wrote:

I agree, it is a bullshit stat. A bit like claiming to win the the most sessions in a cricket Test Match but losing the match overall. It means donuts.
It also means teams just have to play one good quarter to beat us. The opposition don’t care about the other three as long as they win the game.
Remember during our halcyon days, David Parkin’s Premiership quarters? One good quarter was enough to win.

Yes, but "winning sessions" of cricket depicts momentum.

We couldn't keep up momentum, couldn't start momentum, didn't have momentum for a "session" or 20 minutes, umpires had a lapse for 20 minutes er quarter...
Its an indicator. Take what you want from it.

I value this ladder and will pull it out when I need to be arrogant, and dismissive of the covid season.
Carlton should have won the AFLW Flag. We was ripped off again by the AFL Commission.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:38 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
CFC8795 wrote:
camel wrote:

Yes, but "winning sessions" of cricket depicts momentum.

We couldn't keep up momentum, couldn't start momentum, didn't have momentum for a "session" or 20 minutes, umpires had a lapse for 20 minutes er quarter...
Its an indicator. Take what you want from it.

I value this ladder and will pull it out when I need to be arrogant, and dismissive of the covid season.
Carlton should have won the AFLW Flag. We was ripped off again by the AFL Commission.

Yep, it's another 'Metric'.
Dismissing it would be like football departments taking No notice of 'inside 50' counts, Contested v Uncontested etc.

Well in modern footy All metrics count, they show where the work is needed.

Btw, in raw Quarters won Carlton was actually 4th for much of the year and STILL finished equal 4th (St.Kilda, Richmond, WB only caught up in round 17).
as I posted here... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36994&start=79

42- Port, Gee
40 - Brisbane
39 - Carlton, St.Kilda, Richmond, Bulldogs

...just look at the company we keep - All playing finals.

Besides, if you're winning all the quarters you're winning the game right?
and getting all the points for the 'real' ladder.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CFC8795 wrote:
camel wrote:

If you're using the cricket analogy then it's a very indicative stat. A couple of years back, Australia were doing exactly this - competing for large chunks of test matches but then throwing in the odd absolute howler here of a session here and there (generally with the bat) that was costing them games and series. Once they mostly eradicated those, results naturally improved.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:08 pm 
Bert Deacon

Who has teaguey email address job for him and assistants. WATCH ALL THE LOSING GAMES / QUARTERS OVER THE SEASON AND LEARN FROM IT ,PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING IN 2021. iNVITE ANDREW RUSSELL TO HE MIGHT HAVE TO INCREASE WORK LOADS OVER PRE SEASON .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Fully 64% of all games under Teague feature a 5-goal opposition run.

On top of the 25% of opening quarters under him without a single goal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:38 pm 
Banned

...and under Teague we have finished 11th highest ladder position in seven years with one pre season under their belts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:09 am 
Harry Vallence

Walsh wrote:
...and under Teague we have finished 11th highest ladder position in seven years with one pre season under their belts.

They were 8th in Round 6, a week later 11th.

Treading water for 11 weeks with only 4 wins v 12th, 14th, 16th, 17th doesn't cut it, one pre-season or not.

We'll know by Rd 6 next year.
If we haven't won 4/6 at a minimum then our collective hearts should sink once again that we have another mediocre barely-better-than-Bolton coach on our hands that the Board will waste our time with out of misplaced loyalty for another 1-2 wasted years.

This years Stats and Results are absolutely Damning evidence that he either has no convincing game plan or that he can't fire up the players as needed or BOTH.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:36 am 
Harry Vallence

He must be doing something right because there are opposition player managers ringing the club to try and join us.
Good times are coming.......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:17 am 
formerly Fevola

That’s good to hear Deano. Hopefully we get some of these players come to us and are smart in how much we pay and how these deals happen. I’m guessing there are names we haven’t yet heard in the media?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 am 
Craig Bradley

Agree thanks for the good oil Deano and we have been waiting for this for some time and Williams is a good start but let’s be greedy
It is a tipping point and Now we need to translate this onto the field in a more hard edged ruthless way

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

Listening to coaches whose teams are in the finals ie. Beveridge, Scott and Hardwick - Teague needs to develop a hard edge to his coaching style, like the serve he gave the players in our last game against Brisbane. It shows that if his players want to play for him, they need to develop the hardness the coach shows displays to them. I don't want Teague to just talk nice stories about the playing group, give the players some fire and brimstone sprays, so individually and as a playing group, they develop some character in the mould of the coach. In my mind this attitude can only come from the top up, meaning David Teague. Otherwise as a team we'll never stop these runs of unanswered goals that are kicked against us.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

79Vintage wrote:
Listening to coaches whose teams are in the finals ie. Beveridge, Scott and Hardwick - Teague needs to develop a hard edge to his coaching style, like the serve he gave the players in our last game against Brisbane. It shows that if his players want to play for him, they need to develop the hardness the coach shows displays to them. I don't want Teague to just talk nice stories about the playing group, give the players some fire and brimstone sprays, so individually and as a playing group, they develop some character in the mould of the coach. In my mind this attitude can only come from the top up, meaning David Teague. Otherwise as a team we'll never stop these runs of unanswered goals that are kicked against us.

He'll need to take some advice from 'Chopper'...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:03 pm 
Ken Hands

79Vintage wrote:

Not trying to be a smartarse, but how do you know he doesn’t do this already?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

deano35 wrote:
He must be doing something right because there are opposition player managers ringing the club to try and join us.
Good times are coming.......

Righto Deano.............name names..................Who ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

I like Teague. Just get him some assistance.
I hope the talk of players wanting to come, eventuates. Williams jumping on this early, is a bloody good sign and start.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 266  Next