Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:42 am 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
Hrie Fatten!!!!

EFA

Man, has he been on the snakes in the coaches box or what?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:43 am 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
Hrie Fatten!!!!

EFA

Man, has he been on the Dares in the coaches box or what?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:51 am 
Robert Walls

This is not a dig at DT but something tells me we did not investigate the BR return to Carlton dilgently enough last year

We went from scouring the country for a successor to Bolts to suddenly appointing the players choice in the space of a month

Ratten's first go at coaching was satisfactory (at worst) with lots of room for growth (with the correct support)

He then goes and does a 5 year apprenticeship under Alastair Clarkson during their successful period...and from all accounts, he wasn't even in the mix to be considered????????

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:57 am 
Geoff Southby

[quote="99prelim"]This is not a dig at DT but something tells me we did not investigate the BR return to Carlton dilgently enough last year

We went from scouring the country for a successor to Bolts to suddenly appointing the players choice in the space of a month

Ratten's first go at coaching was satisfactory (at worst) with lots of room for growth (with the correct support)

He then goes and does a 5 year apprenticeship under Alastair Clarkson during their successful period...and from all accounts, he wasn't even in the mix to be considered????????[/quote

The coach ain’t the problem
As always at Carlton with the exception of Pagan and Malthouse :smoking:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:59 am 
John Nicholls

Why would Ratts have wanted to come back to a club that dumped him unceremoniously after an injury-ridden season?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:34 am 
Harry Vallence

DT looked really flat in the pressor.

What I like is that he does not talk in cliches and can IMHO clearly identify where we are going wrong.

I liked that he forgives bad execution, but not bad decision making which has been a long standing problem with this team.

The fact that the team responds to his messaging during the game give some confidence that he knows what's gone wrong and how to fix it, which is far more than we have had in a long time.

That being said, I always thought Ratts was a good coach and I think that the Saints will be a formidable side under his coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:20 am 
Craig Bradley

Teague is doing a fine job but he has one major thing he needs to do, make sure the side is switched on ready to go. That's what stands between us and being a good, consistently winning side. I'm sick of pissing 4 points down the drain through not being switched on. We've shown we can match it with any team but we just waste it too often. No point giving away 6 goals starts then whittling down to bugger all and losing, or, like last night, cut back half the margin. We showed against Geelong what we can do when we turn up to play. For 3 qtrs we smashed them on their own dog patch with sublime football. That's the standard and I expect it kept to. This has less to do with ability and more to do with a piss poor attitude. We're 8-8 under Teague, which we would've accepted at the time of his appointment, but $hit, we should've won quite a few more. We have just simply pissed so many games down the drain and has to stop.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:31 am 
Robert Walls

robertbb wrote:
Why would Ratts have wanted to come back to a club that dumped him unceremoniously after an injury-ridden season?

He publicly said that if Carlton gave him a call, he would answer it and have a chat

I doubt the call was ever made

Again, this is not DT bashing...its about whether the organisation did their due diligence or whether they just pandered to player-voice??

I don't know the answer but I reckon BR would've entertained the prospect of coming back (if he were considered the best applicant)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:37 am 
Geoff Southby

[quote="jim"]Teague is doing a fine job but he has one major thing he needs to do, make sure the side is switched on ready to go. That's what stands between us and being a good, consistently winning side. I'm sick of pissing 4 points down the drain through not being switched on. We've shown we can match it with any team but we just waste it too often. No point giving away 6 goals starts then whittling down to bugger all and losing, or, like last night, cut back half the margin. We showed against Geelong what we can do when we turn up to play. For 3 qtrs we smashed them on their own dog patch with sublime football. That's the standard and I expect it kept to. This has less to do with ability and more to do with a piss poor attitude. We're 8-8 under Teague, which we would've accepted at the time of his appointment, but $hit, we should've won quite a few more. We have just simply pissed so many games down the drain and has to stop.[/quote

Your wrong imo
Take Docherty and Cripps out of it and it’s pretty much game over.
That comes down to Largely physical ability .
We simply haven’t recruited and traded well enough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:38 am 
Stephen Silvagni

jim wrote:
Teague is doing a fine job but he has one major thing he needs to do, make sure the side is switched on ready to go. That's what stands between us and being a good, consistently winning side. I'm sick of pissing 4 points down the drain through not being switched on. We've shown we can match it with any team but we just waste it too often. No point giving away 6 goals starts then whittling down to bugger all and losing, or, like last night, cut back half the margin. We showed against Geelong what we can do when we turn up to play. For 3 qtrs we smashed them on their own dog patch with sublime football. That's the standard and I expect it kept to. This has less to do with ability and more to do with a piss poor attitude. We're 8-8 under Teague, which we would've accepted at the time of his appointment, but $hit, we should've won quite a few more. We have just simply pissed so many games down the drain and has to stop.

There's only so much the support staff can do.

What Teague has to do is be brave and make the call on players who have a track record of being inconsistent and players who are clearly not of the standard (potentially) of a good finals player.
It's not easy to keep the playing group supportive of you as coach while at the same time making tough calls on certain players.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:02 pm 
Bob Chitty

jim wrote:

Agree with you.
I think the poor starts are largely the manifestation of a losing culture that has festered for too long. In all the 3 poor starts this year, we’ve been smashed in the contested ball (we’ve been second to the ball) and then smashed in the tackles (no pressure once the opposition win the ball). Those are effort and hunger indicators. And they are non-negotiable at pretty much every other club. Unfortunately at ours they’ve been negotiable. There’s been no consequences for not showing up.

I thought the Cats game could be a bit of a line in the sand on the effort front. The hunger we played with for 3 quarters was massive and set the standard for what we should produce every week. Unfortunately 2 weeks later we’re back to square one. Will they show up next week? Who knows - it’s been the same question for years. I’m not putting this on DT but it’s his time to change the culture. No more acceptance of a lack of effort. It’s a massive task - no one (apart from Ratts for maybe 2-3 years) has been able to get the players playing with a ruthlessness and intensity that other teams bring every week. It’s not just on DT, it’s on the whole club, but it’s got to improve and quick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:42 pm 
Wayne Johnston

I think I will visit the worry room

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

After 20 years Carlton still can't get off the beach:

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:44 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I didn't like the opening comments from Teague in the presser. He did correct himself, but along the lines of "St Kilda jumped us and we weren't ready for it". Seems there's a mindset that we sit back and see what the opposition will dish up, then we'll attempt to adapt.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Great coaching performance tonight well done
Boys up for it early
Good game plan in the wet and good effort in neutralising dogs strengths ie scores from rebound off half back line

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:16 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Master coach !! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
jim wrote:
Teague is doing a fine job but he has one major thing he needs to do, make sure the side is switched on ready to go. That's what stands between us and being a good, consistently winning side. I'm sick of pissing 4 points down the drain through not being switched on. We've shown we can match it with any team but we just waste it too often. No point giving away 6 goals starts then whittling down to bugger all and losing, or, like last night, cut back half the margin. We showed against Geelong what we can do when we turn up to play. For 3 qtrs we smashed them on their own dog patch with sublime football. That's the standard and I expect it kept to. This has less to do with ability and more to do with a piss poor attitude. We're 8-8 under Teague, which we would've accepted at the time of his appointment, but $hit, we should've won quite a few more. We have just simply pissed so many games down the drain and has to stop.[/quote

Your wrong imo
Take Docherty and Cripps out of it and it’s pretty much game over.
That comes down to Largely physical ability .
We simply haven’t recruited and traded well enough

Just read this.

Tonight's effort shows otherwise.

Too early to call by either side of the argument.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree with Jim good post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
After 20 years Carlton still can't get off the beach:

:roll:

We might have made a small advance inland tonight.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 am 
Stephen Silvagni

The lean endurance type of conditioning that Russell has gone with for this compressed season could be the masterstroke of the year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 266  Next