Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

Everyone on TC seems to be generally agreed that some youngsters are either being played out of position or not getting a fair go, while others are rotting away not getting a game at all.

I suggest a letter to Teague cc the MC from TC headed 1. Player Selection. 2. Player Positioning. 3. Game Plan.

Who is with me. I am sure we can get a consensus.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:11 pm 
Banned

Best start in so many years many youngsters that have played 30-40 games unless form deserves games then it shouldnt be handed to them. It's about time every second of game time in the big time is earned and cherished and not handed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Everyone on TC seems to be generally agreed that some youngsters are either being played out of position or not getting a fair go, while others are rotting away not getting a game at all.

I suggest a letter to Teague cc the MC from TC headed 1. Player Selection. 2. Player Positioning. 3. Game Plan.

Yeah nah

Its crazy times, so crazy ideas can happen.

I think the List Mgr wants to see some of the talent in the seniors, and we will get to see a bit of it from now till end season.

4 games in 14 days will do it, but before that.

Marchbank, Dow, Philp, OBrien , and maybe Polson will be looked at IMO.
If they are fit, they will be played, to get a bigger squad ready for finals.

Thats what I reckon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
We are still tinkering at the edges and figuring out what works best.

We are coming from a side which had gone 4-43 before Teague took over, so I think Teague is showing some loyalty to the guys who have at least got us to the point of being competitive.

I don’t agree with this whole throwing out the baby with the bathwater philosophy either, we are 4-6, not 0-10.

Injuries to McGovern and McKay have hurt us, and we do need more pace in the midfield, for sure.

Issue was when we’ve tried quicker smaller guys in the midfield we simply can’t get the ball at all, as we are out muscled. It’s possible the guys we need in there simply don’t exist on our list currently. Dow will get another go but has shown very little to this point.

I’d like Fisher and Cuningham running through there more and Kennedy can rest forward more as we know he is a good mark.

SPS in defence, I’m not a huge fan either.

Are Fisher and Cuningham the quicker smaller guys that can't get the ball?

Fisher's numbers in the middle have been good, before Teague and in the first half of round 1 before he got injured.

Dow turns 21 this year. He's had over 500 kicks and kicked 13.19, or something like that in 40 games. He is only going to improve, and he's quick. His stats are as good as the ones the media is singing their praises to in the Freo midfield. Interesting: perception vs reality, or we are hard task masters.

I think the main problem you alluded to is because we don't have the cattle to lay a defensive role in the midfield, and our classy young players are just that, and they need to be developed....and I don't think the adhoc 12 v 12 praccy games are condisive to development, well not the type our kids need.

I agree. In his first year, Paddy Dow was averaging more contested possessions, clearances, inside 50's than players like Cerra, Brayshaw, Worpel, Jack Graham etc.
Yet many of those guys are now playing midfield and progressing. Why? Opportunity. Teague last year played the older guys to get wins on the board. I'm not overly critical of that (Although I posted concern at the time) but it will stifle development if it continues.

To be fair Dow did get injured which prevented further opportunity.

But he was rubbish in practice matches and round 1, and most of last year.

We are playing 3 guys who have played 3 games or less tomorrow, so we are giving guys opportunities. Philp got a go earlier in the year too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:

We are coming from a side which had gone 4-43 before Teague took over, so I think Teague is showing some loyalty to the guys who have at least got us to the point of being competitive.

I don’t agree with this whole throwing out the baby with the bathwater philosophy either, we are 4-6, not 0-10.

Injuries to McGovern and McKay have hurt us, and we do need more pace in the midfield, for sure.

Issue was when we’ve tried quicker smaller guys in the midfield we simply can’t get the ball at all, as we are out muscled. It’s possible the guys we need in there simply don’t exist on our list currently. Dow will get another go but has shown very little to this point.

I’d like Fisher and Cuningham running through there more and Kennedy can rest forward more as we know he is a good mark.

Fisher's numbers in the middle have been good, before Teague and in the first half of round 1 before he got injured.

Dow turns 21 this year. He's had over 500 kicks and kicked 13.19, or something like that in 40 games. He is only going to improve, and he's quick. His stats are as good as the ones the media is singing their praises to in the Freo midfield. Interesting: perception vs reality, or we are hard task masters.

I think the main problem you alluded to is because we don't have the cattle to lay a defensive role in the midfield, and our classy young players are just that, and they need to be developed....and I don't think the adhoc 12 v 12 praccy games are condisive to development, well not the type our kids need.

I agree. In his first year, Paddy Dow was averaging more contested possessions, clearances, inside 50's than players like Cerra, Brayshaw, Worpel, Jack Graham etc.
Yet many of those guys are now playing midfield and progressing. Why? Opportunity. Teague last year played the older guys to get wins on the board. I'm not overly critical of that (Although I posted concern at the time) but it will stifle development if it continues.
How dare Teague put a side on the paddock to win.
What on earth was he thinking.
We have had 20 years of development it is time we started winning and putting the best side out there to get that win.
If Dow is good enough he will make.

If you watch them play they get into winning positions in games and don't know what to do when they ge there. That's because winning never mattered it was about "development "

Team needs to learn to win.
If players like Dow are good enough they will get their turn

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bingo, sick of this gifting games we did under bolts.

Other younger guys have leapfrogged Dow, LOB and stocker. All of Williamson, TDK, cottrell and now Honey are young and getting chances.

The idea of high draft pick = play them lots regardless of output is flawed.

People have forgotten how bad we were before Teague took over.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:25 pm 
Robert Walls

You'd think that Simpson, Betts and Murphy will have to be managed through 4 games in 14 days. Possibly also Curnow and Casboult.
I'm sure we'll see some new faces during that period.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Yeah nah

I think the List Mgr wants to see some of the talent in the seniors, and we will get to see a bit of it from now till end season.

Thats what I reckon.

My post was a joke bondi. :smile:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:01 am 
Robert Walls

ColourMan wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:

SPS, Dow, and Fisher’s development as midfielders has already been stifled, they’ve missed over 20 games playing the role they were drafted for, and are best at...

The sooner they return to the midfield the better, these three with Walsh, are our best young mids... we also need to know what we have!

We have to give them every opportunity to develop as mids!

Add Cunningham to that list...we need more mids but we are not efficiently using the MIDS WE CURRENTLY HAVE ON OUR LIST FFS

SOS recruited them as mids. Let's not blame him bc Teague isn't playing them (or playing them as mids)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Adam Chatfield wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:

To be fair Dow did get injured which prevented further opportunity.

But he was rubbish in practice matches and round 1, and most of last year.

We are playing 3 guys who have played 3 games or less tomorrow, so we are giving guys opportunities. Philp got a go earlier in the year too.

You sound like you've stamped Dow's papers.

Dow wasn't rubbish in round 1. He played well last year as an 19yo

The team allowed tigers a 42 point head start. He lacked the leaders around him 20yo should expect support from.
Whilst he didn't get too many disposals, he gained metres and got involved with a lot of physical stuff.
You shouldn't expect a 20yo to carry our team to the promised land. He needed support around him. It didn't come.
He got caught a couple of times trying to bust through opponents in the middle; that's his role.
I was rapt to see he tried to do that, but his young 20yo body didn't allow it, plus he got injured.

It was obvious Dow needed to build some more strength and muscle to add to his blistering speed.
He has skills. He has ability.

The young players you mention (Willo, TDK, Cotterell, Honey) didn't leap frog Dow.
Dow has played only one game since his injury and got BOG.
The young guys play diffferent positions to Dow, and they have had a string of good games in the ressies, which is normal given they weren't injured, when Paddy was.
There's no pressure for Wliiamson's spot, and whilst that's the case, despite his average form lately, he's safe to develop his game in the ones.
Its not all black n white.

We shouldn't be too hard on 20yo kids, or 21 or 22.
Lets see how Dow's peers Cerra, Brayshaw and Sarong go today.
Unfortunately for Dow, he wont be there to show his wares against them because Teague wants another game under his belt despite being a class above in his BOG effort last week.

Lets get real here, and remind everyone

Paddy Dow doesn't turn 21 years old till 16 October 2020

He is still only 20yo.

He has the world ahead of him. He has already achieved a lot.

Not fair to write off 20 yo kids just because the coaches through him to the wolves at 18yo.
Some thought that was wrong of Bolton to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Yeah nah

Thats what I reckon.

My post was a joke bondi. :smile:

I didn't think you were serious, but I have struggled with some of the ambiguities in the messaging from the coach, but think there must be a big picture plan and the MC have a fair idea of who will make it and who wont...and who they need to see a bit more of with some responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:34 pm 
Banned

All our youngsters wont go anywhere club invested heavily in the draft

But they do need to earn their spot and not gifted.

Honey deserves a game based on form and thats the way it should be and now its up to him to hold it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:14 pm 
Ken Hands

I like Williamson but he hasn’t been setting the world on fire recently, and I could see him being replaced by Marchbank soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jones ffs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

ferdinand wrote:
I like Williamson but he hasn’t been setting the world on fire recently, and I could see him being replaced by Marchbank soon.

Same to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:36 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
ferdinand wrote:

Same to me.

Willo was amongst our best on the weekend. Wont be replaced by anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:49 am 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:
All our youngsters wont go anywhere club invested heavily in the draft

But they do need to earn their spot and not gifted.

Honey deserves a game based on form and thats the way it should be and now its up to him to hold it.

If we don't start winning and playing finals, the kids will be influenced. I agree with earning their spot.

rhino27 wrote:
Willo was amongst our best on the weekend. Wont be replaced by anyone.

Agree. Just needs games into him to build form. Has missed a lot of footy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:49 am 
Ken Hunter

Willo was very good on the weekend, best game he has played for about a month.

I'd suggest Marchbank could replace SPS who can move forward/wing or interchange.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:10 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

dannyboy wrote:

I'd suggest Marchbank could replace SPS who can move forward/wing or interchange.

Fair call, but still need to drop someone.
Honey may be the obvious choice, but we've got Martin, Cunners and Gov all due to return over the next couple of weeks.
On top of that, there are some calling for Dow to come back into the side. So all up, we need to drop 4 players to accommodate Marchy, Martin, Cunners, Gov and Dow.
Feels good to have a bit of depth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

dannyboy wrote:

If they do that, it might make our backline too tall.
They played Marchy on the wing in the praccy match. It would be a handy go to option if he does that and would allow Harry to stay a bit deeper.
I do want SPS to go upfield, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:17 pm 
Rod McGregor

Seems to have been a change in messaging from Teague to "We Expect To WIN"
Positive reinforcement presumably - wonder if driven by him or the psychologist
And when we won, even with a kick after the siren - the same we expected to come here and win
I don't mind it, builds expectations on the players and a mentality of getting the job done, also why he's not 'gifting' young players games
Seems the switch has been flipped from developing the players to WINNING as a team
See how it goes.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 266  Next