Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

How's this for a HTFU strategy...

Coach: "If you're not putting in to the level expected, you'll be dragged.
Screw 'rotations'! I'll keep dragging flowers even if it leaves us two men short on the field.
Then when the world wonders what's going on when the cameras pan to our overflowing bench at least the complete list of culprits will be on Full Display!
So... you wanna be on TV sitting on a bench or on the field tearing your guts out??!!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:41 pm 
Robert Walls

famousblueraincoat wrote:
Walsh wrote:
They should not be in leadership group and needs a shake up.

Poor from the coach. Teague should have asked RU OK? instead. What was he thinking?

I heard DTs speech behind closed doors was, "it's not you...it's me"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:23 pm 
Bert Deacon

Blue Vain wrote:
Coaches have a good spray or 2 in their kit bag per year before it losses its impact. If the players cant cop it, move the little petals on.

The good oil is that the petals were Cripps, Docherty, Walsh, Curnow and Martin.

I'm with you, BV - move those weak bastards on! How dare they tell the coach - after he asked them for feedback - that being mindlessly yelled and screamed at doesn't get the best out of them. If only we had a footy fanborl coaching our team!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:58 am 
Geoff Southby

He may be getting a little long in the tooth but what does everyone think of bringing back David Parkin in some sort of mentoring role.

Parko would give them all a kick up the backside.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:00 am 
Geoff Southby

Watching a reply of the 1981 grand final on Fox last night. An absolute slog.

No guts, no glory.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:49 am 
Banned

billy_bongo wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Coaches have a good spray or 2 in their kit bag per year before it losses its impact. If the players cant cop it, move the little petals on.

The good oil is that the petals were Cripps, Docherty, Walsh, Curnow and Martin.

I'm with you, BV - move those weak bastards on! How dare they tell the coach - after he asked them for feedback - that being mindlessly yelled and screamed at doesn't get the best out of them. If only we had a footy fanborl coaching our team!

My poor little darlings - do they want a handkerchief after being grilled for a shit performance.

Or do they want a pat on the back and told "doesn't matter, do better next time" to get the best out of them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:39 pm 
Craig Bradley

Donstuie wrote:
TEAGUE’S SPRAY DREW MIXED RESPONSE FROM BLUES LEADERS
Quote:
Carlton coach David Teague is still learning on the job.

Teague delivered a rare spray during the Blues’ final round loss to Brisbane last season after his side conceded another 30-point swing in Kade Simpson’s final match for the club.

It drew a mixed response from some of Carlton’s leaders as Teague looks to master the art of man management moving forward.

“It was the last game of the year (against Brisbane),” Teague told SEN’s Bob and Andy.

“I have spoken to some of the leaders – some of them loved it, some of them felt it didn’t get the best out of them.

H
T
F
U

If Simmo's final game didn't get the "best out of them" and they're triggered by a spray... hardly a recipe for success.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:35 am 
Craig Bradley

It seems weird to me that Teague would talk about this publicly. To me it shows weakness, like he doesn't really know what he's doing and the "leaders" of the club are leading him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:33 am 
Stephen Kernahan

"Drew a mixed response from the leaders"?
The way I see it, we were meekly outscored 5 goals to zero in the second quarter after leading at quarter time.
Following the payout from Teague, we rebounded and outscored the future preliminary finalists in the next 2 quarters. It received exactly the response it required IMHO.
I agree. It was an appropriate strategy from Teague and for him to publicly air his uncertainty isn't ideal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:58 pm 
Robert Walls

Speaking of coaches, has anybody heard a rumour about Hardwick?

I just heard it from a Richmond coterie member but still think it's complete bs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

99prelim wrote:

I just heard it from a Richmond coterie member but still think it's complete bs.

Have posted in Richmond thread. Seems to have some legs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:44 pm 
Robert Walls

AIRCAV wrote:
99prelim wrote:

Have posted in Richmond thread. Seems to have some legs.

Ta...just saw and added my 2c worth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

A big year coming up for Teague. The initial period of "letting them just play" has passed. The club and the supporters will rightly expect progress.
With recruits bolstering an improved playing list and more games into the younger players, a rise on the ladder is rightly expected. It's not just up to the players to rise to the challenge but the coaches as well. I've been a fan but does he have the strategic nous to go head to head with the heavy hitters at the business end of the season?
If not, he'll soon be exposed.

I was content with his efforts last season but there were also some minor worrying signs. Some of our preparation for impending opponents was light on. Against the Roos we had a solid win but they opened us up numerous times by vacating the corridor on kick outs. They then had players running into the corridor and recieving the kick out unmanned. That can happen but they did the same thing the previous week successfully. We should have had a strategy to counter it.
Kane Farrell has plenty of deficiencies in his game but he is an elite kick. The week before we played Port, they used him to run past the player with a mark or free kick and to deliver inside 50. He also kicked a sensational goal from 55. Against us Travis Boak took a mark 55 out, handballed to an unmanned Farrell who slotted the goal. The commentators could see it coming, a nuffy like me could see it coming yet Kade Simpson ran away from him, no one manned him up and he kicked his second goal for the game. We lost by less than a goal. Was it disregard from the players or ignorance of the strategies/strengths of the opponent?

They are the basics that the good coaches see as routine. The players should know their opponents, their strengths, weaknesses and what strategies they are currently implementing. With COVID impacted training sessions etc, there are reasons why some things can fall by the wayside.
But in 2021, the heat is on. No L plates or sub standard coaching/preparation will be tolerated. The players are ready to rise up the ladder. It's up to the club to give them every opportunity. That includes strategic and tactical preparation. Fingers crossed for Teague and his group.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:21 am 
Bruce Doull

Good post BV, and agree, there is outside expectation on us in addition to our own expectations and Teague will have to meet that just as much as the players.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Here we go

‘It’s time to deliver on-field’: Blues great questions Teague’s future

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/it- ... 57711.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Fair enough IMO. If we don't make significant improvement, I wouldn't expect to see Cripps in Navy Blue next year either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Nice to see Wallsy put the acid on us & not our opposition for a change

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

it's ok.
Not too hard to say we need to play attacking football and we hope Mitch steps up, harry continues and we hope Betts can give a bit. (and that DT should stay if we do well and we should look elsewhere if we don't)
I wonder how much you get paid for that....?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I absolutely expect finals but for Wallsy to say he's in his third year is gilding it a bit.

Teague's coached 28 games in total and the last year was like nothing anyone has experienced so he's effectively less than a third of his way into his second year.

His win rate is 46%.

Bolton finished at 20% and Malthouse at 37%.

Hardwick's first 28 games came with a win rate of 30%.

As I said I expect finals based on our list and profile but give the guy a little space.

The media will be on him regardless, no need for us to do the same yet.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:30 pm 
Robert Walls

WE have a top 8 list

If we don't make the 8, it's a failure

DT will be under immense pressure in that case...a case can be mounted now that IF this occurs, he may not be the man for the job

Having said all, that, I can feel it in my bones...this year will be huge for us...top 8 and even a finals win!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 266  Next