Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:43 am 
Harry Vallence

david31 wrote:
I don’t profess to know what goes on within the 4 walls at the club. Like many on here, I just base my opinion on what I see game to game.

IMO DT needs to find a way to turn us into a consistent pressure team. In modern footy where scoring is limited and defensive structures are generally strong, probably the best attribute a team can have is the ability to consistently put on manic pressure. The dogs were not an outstanding team in 2016 but Beveridge got them to buy in and bring unprecedented levels of pressure for that finals series. Richmond over the past 3-4 years have been exactly the same. They bring waves and waves of pressure with quick and tough players. If the first tackle misses, the second or third won’t. They grind down their opponents with pressure. Port were the exact same last night. They continued to just throw bodies at Geelong all night, wave after wave, until the Cats could no longer handle it.

On the other hand, for too long we’ve picked and choosed when we want to show up with pressure. After the Melbourne loss we copped a rocket and the boys came out with the best pressure I’ve seen in a long time. I recommend watching McGovern’s goal in the first quarter that is caused by waves of pressure that ultimately cause a Geelong error. Then after the Saints game we also copped it and they came out with crazy pressure against the Dogs. Pretty much all the goals in the first quarter were caused by pressure. H running down Johannisen typifies what we were about that time. That’s the good. But the bad is not bringing sufficient pressure for 4 quarters in a lot of the other games - Richmond, Melbourne, Saints, Hawthorn, Adelaide.

I think by in large the talent is there. Yes, it isn’t perfect and needs some tweaking, but I don’t think it’s all that far off the mark. I think the inability to consistently apply pressure is the biggest concern. And unless DT can get them going in this regard I think we’re going to be up against it. We may make finals over the next few years but to win 3-4 finals in a 4 week period pressure must be non-negotiable. We aren’t there yet and IMO it’s DT’s biggest challenge going forward.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CC1961 wrote:
Last 6 Premiership Coaches...

Carlton coach...

David knows how to get the boys full attention.

P.S. Is Cripps listening or wondering what to watch on Netflix tonight?

Are we expected to believe that selected photos give an insight into the personalities of the coaches?
Why don't you include a photo of Teague blasting the players at half time against Brisbane? It doesn't suit the agenda?
FMD, we're really scraping the barrel now, aren't we?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

Steve_C7 wrote:
david31 wrote:
I don’t profess to know what goes on within the 4 walls at the club. Like many on here, I just base my opinion on what I see game to game.

IMO DT needs to find a way to turn us into a consistent pressure team. In modern footy where scoring is limited and defensive structures are generally strong, probably the best attribute a team can have is the ability to consistently put on manic pressure. The dogs were not an outstanding team in 2016 but Beveridge got them to buy in and bring unprecedented levels of pressure for that finals series. Richmond over the past 3-4 years have been exactly the same. They bring waves and waves of pressure with quick and tough players. If the first tackle misses, the second or third won’t. They grind down their opponents with pressure. Port were the exact same last night. They continued to just throw bodies at Geelong all night, wave after wave, until the Cats could no longer handle it.

On the other hand, for too long we’ve picked and choosed when we want to show up with pressure. After the Melbourne loss we copped a rocket and the boys came out with the best pressure I’ve seen in a long time. I recommend watching McGovern’s goal in the first quarter that is caused by waves of pressure that ultimately cause a Geelong error. Then after the Saints game we also copped it and they came out with crazy pressure against the Dogs. Pretty much all the goals in the first quarter were caused by pressure. H running down Johannisen typifies what we were about that time. That’s the good. But the bad is not bringing sufficient pressure for 4 quarters in a lot of the other games - Richmond, Melbourne, Saints, Hawthorn, Adelaide.

I think by in large the talent is there. Yes, it isn’t perfect and needs some tweaking, but I don’t think it’s all that far off the mark. I think the inability to consistently apply pressure is the biggest concern. And unless DT can get them going in this regard I think we’re going to be up against it. We may make finals over the next few years but to win 3-4 finals in a 4 week period pressure must be non-negotiable. We aren’t there yet and IMO it’s DT’s biggest challenge going forward.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

x2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

david31 wrote:
I think by in large the talent is there. Yes, it isn’t perfect and needs some tweaking, but I don’t think it’s all that far off the mark.
I think the inability to consistently apply pressure is the biggest concern. And unless DT can get them going in this regard I think we’re going to be up against it. We may make finals over the next few years but to win 3-4 finals in a 4 week period pressure must be non-negotiable. We aren’t there yet and IMO it’s DT’s biggest challenge going forward.

Steve_C7 wrote:
From an objective point of view, we are top 4 in quarters won in games which indicates 2 things, first that when things have gone wrong in games, the team has be able to react which to me indicates that Teague has identified the issue, addressed it and the players were able to adjust. Secondly that it's the players that can't/don't consistently execute the game plan.

I have to disagree with the latter 'highlighted' comment based on the evidence of the last 5 games...

After consecutive wins (Freo, GC) Carlton were only 1 win and 1% out of 8.

Up next:Collingscum.
Going in to half time with an 8 point lead the boys were no doubt all patting each other on the back after a 5 goal second quarter.
Chance for DT to deliver a reality check - opposition 11 scoring shots to Carlton's 9 - "Wake up boys this has a long way to go"
2 points in 3rd quarter.
DT has his chance again, WHAT does he say to motivate/guide the troops?
2 points in last quarter.
Collingscum turn a 2 point deficit into a 24 pt win by kicking 5 x 2nd half goals to Carlton's Zero.
Summary: Coach blows 1/2 and 3/4 time addresses.

Rd.15 v GWS
Out of the blocks with 4 goals. Great. BUT opposition has 50% More scoring shots, so here comes 'complacent' Carlton again.
Teague had his charges again for a 'reality check' at 1/4 time, then after a goal-less 2nd, the abysmal 1.5 3rd and He achieved WHAT exactly? a single point in the last during the GWS doubling of their score.

Syd/Adel: if the Coach can't G-up the troops BEFORE A GAME with all the time they need and no interruptions then when Can he?
Both these games NO goals scored in 1st quarter.
Then the obligatory goal-less 2nd quarter v Brisbane in last round, again despite 4 opening quarter goals (for a change) the opposition had More scoring shots.

I previously posted...

"IN ONLY ONE OTHER SEASON IN A HUNDRED YEARS has Carlton had 4 or more matches without kicking a single goal in the 1st Quarter.
- 1958 when there were 5 of them.

Teague is up to 4 already with a game still in hand AND he's on a HATRICK!"

Fortunate we scored in the subsequent 1st Q v Brisbane.

But it still leaves Teague with a 25% Failure-Rate in getting his team to score a goal in opening quarters.
(7 times in his 28 games)

There has rarely been such a clear statistical exposé of a coach's defects than this year's numbers
(see previous pages in this thread for more details)

And he's from Katandra for F-sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

CC1961 wrote:
david31 wrote:
I think by in large the talent is there. Yes, it isn’t perfect and needs some tweaking, but I don’t think it’s all that far off the mark.
I think the inability to consistently apply pressure is the biggest concern. And unless DT can get them going in this regard I think we’re going to be up against it. We may make finals over the next few years but to win 3-4 finals in a 4 week period pressure must be non-negotiable. We aren’t there yet and IMO it’s DT’s biggest challenge going forward.

Steve_C7 wrote:
From an objective point of view, we are top 4 in quarters won in games which indicates 2 things, first that when things have gone wrong in games, the team has be able to react which to me indicates that Teague has identified the issue, addressed it and the players were able to adjust. Secondly that it's the players that can't/don't consistently execute the game plan.

I have to disagree with the latter 'highlighted' comment based on the evidence of the last 5 games...

After consecutive wins (Freo, GC) Carlton were only 1 win and 1% out of 8.

Up next:Collingscum.
Going in to half time with an 8 point lead the boys were no doubt all patting each other on the back after a 5 goal second quarter.
Chance for DT to deliver a reality check - opposition 11 scoring shots to Carlton's 9 - "Wake up boys this has a long way to go"
2 points in 3rd quarter.
DT has his chance again, WHAT does he say to motivate/guide the troops?
2 points in last quarter.
Collingscum turn a 2 point deficit into a 24 pt win by kicking 5 x 2nd half goals to Carlton's Zero.
Summary: Coach blows 1/2 and 3/4 time addresses.

Rd.15 v GWS
Out of the blocks with 4 goals. Great. BUT opposition has 50% More scoring shots, so here comes 'complacent' Carlton again.
Teague had his charges again for a 'reality check' at 1/4 time, then after a goal-less 2nd, the abysmal 1.5 3rd and He achieved WHAT exactly? a single point in the last during the GWS doubling of their score.

Syd/Adel: if the Coach can't G-up the troops BEFORE A GAME with all the time they need and no interruptions then when Can he?
Both these games NO goals scored in 1st quarter.
Then the obligatory goal-less 2nd quarter v Brisbane in last round, again despite 4 opening quarter goals (for a change) the opposition had More scoring shots.

I previously posted...

"IN ONLY ONE OTHER SEASON IN A HUNDRED YEARS has Carlton had 4 or more matches without kicking a single goal in the 1st Quarter.
- 1958 when there were 5 of them.

Teague is up to 4 already with a game still in hand AND he's on a HATRICK!"

Fortunate we scored in the subsequent 1st Q v Brisbane.

But it still leaves Teague with a 25% Failure-Rate in getting his team to score a goal in opening quarters.
(7 times in his 28 games)

There has rarely been such a clear statistical exposé of a coach's defects than this year's numbers
(see previous pages in this thread for more details)

And he's from Katandra for F-sake!

There has been an obvious disconnection between our mids and forwards that was evident in all of Boltons years, I expected it to improve this year, however it is hard to coach it when you can't have the whole team on the park due to COVID.

At what point do the players have to take responsibility for motivating themselves to play the game?

No coach should be responsible for motivating players, no different to no employer should be responsible for staff who don't show up to work or turn up late.

I get your point, however without knowing what the instructions were at each address, how can we know if the plan or the execution was the problem.

There is no doubt the boys let many winnable games slip, however you are expecting too much from a coach in his first season (and a extremely compromised on at that) to win every close game or one that we are in a winning position.

I look more at the % than wins and loses as I believe this is a better indicator of progress during rebuilding and he has taken our % from 59.3% to 94.3% which is is a significant improvement.

I am really looking forward to next season with a fair degree of optimisation, go blues :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CC1961 wrote:
Last 6 Premiership Coaches...

Carlton coach...

David knows how to get the boys full attention.

P.S. Is Cripps listening or wondering what to watch on Netflix tonight?
Not a good weekend for premiership coaches...
Maybe things are changing....
Maybe it makes no difference....?

No one thing wins you a flag

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

billc3 wrote:
Not a good weekend for premiership coaches...

Go Blues

Well spotted billc3!

Good call. All four of those in this year's finals lost.

So, the winners are all Premiership 'virgins'!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:08 am 
Banned

I have no idea why people have an issue with our cool cat coach...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

Looks good in BLUE. But so does everyone! :donk:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Looks like the loss to Port really got up Chris Scott's nose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

:grin:

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:14 am 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
Looks like the loss to Port really got up Chris Scott's nose

You know it, I know it, but we've seen that thing before…

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:19 am 
Robert Walls

Any truth to the rumour that Choco Williams is coming on board to help Teague next year?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:26 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I hope so. Love that guy's passion and hearing him talk about teaching as opposed to coaching is really fascinating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Apparently taught Mason Cox how to kick. He doesn't miss many. If he could at least teach our blokes how to kick for goal, will be a huge asset.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:08 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Choco would be an awesome get.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:10 am 
Ken Hunter

Juanita Jones wrote:
Any truth to the rumour that Choco Williams is coming on board to help Teague next year?

Now that is funny...... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:11 am 
Harry Vallence

Juanita Jones wrote:

No way.
Wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole. He was sacked at GWS and Tigers for sticking his nose where it wasn't wanted.
A control freak who is lost if he isn't the Coach.
Was an amazing Coach BUT if he is put in a lesser role ie: Assistant or development then he can't cope and has way too much to say.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:49 am 
Craig Bradley

Agree Deano a bit like sheedy doesn’t know his place and doesn’t play second banana well

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

deano35 wrote:
Juanita Jones wrote:

No way.
Wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole. He was sacked at GWS and Tigers for sticking his nose where it wasn't wanted.
A control freak who is lost if he isn't the Coach.
Was an amazing Coach BUT if he is put in a lesser role ie: Assistant or development then he can't cope and has way too much to say.

:thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 266  Next