Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

IMO The problem today was player selection foremost:
-Philips is a good tap ruck and even though we won the hit-outs today, Kreuzer is not a good tap ruck and frequently hit the ball to the opposition when he gets his hand on it. However he is another mid and is good at it.
-The Gov, although he played ok should not have come in. Why do we need 4 talls in the team in the rain.
-Dropping Kennedy was a huge mistake when he should've stayed in and at the least had Lang dropped.
-Garlett was an emergency and should've been played considering the speed of their team.
-We should've also played Dow and/or Stocker for more leg speed and played a rushing game like they do.

The game plan with linking talls into the forward half in wet conditions had Harry go missing and our players bombing it again into the F50 to 1 on 4s. There was many a time, players pushing forward kicked it high to a tall on the wing rather than linking with handballs and pushing forward as a team. And we got killed on turnover. We've been doing it for a couple of years now so when are we going to call a spade a spade here and put the blame on Teague, it's his area after all.

What was also apparent was the centre clearances and how we got smoked by them without Martin and Cotchin. Lucky they didn't play.
This has been our issue all year, even before we put Ed and Murph back in. Both are too slow compared to the new age mids coming through. And it's pretty simple for other teams, shut down Cripps, kill us on the spread and we're cooked. If we don't get mids this year, expect another tough season next year.

We are lucky we have been developing such a good defence over the last couple of years otherwise we would've been annihilated. Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Newman, Simpson, Thomas and even SPS to an extent held back a very attacking outfit.

Last edited by Sidefx on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

The problem today was our centre clearances, our start, and our smalls just didn’t hit the score board like there’s did.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:59 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
IMO The problem today was player selection foremost:
-Philips is a good tap ruck and even though we won the hit-outs today, Kreuzer is not a good tap ruck and frequently hit the ball to the opposition when he gets his hand on it. However he is another mid and is good at it.
-The Gov, although he played ok should not have come in. Why do we need 4 talls in the team in the rain.
-Dropping Kennedy was a huge mistake when he should've stayed in and at the least had Lang dropped.
-Garlett was an emergency and should've been played considering the speed of their team.
-We should've also played Dow and/or Stocker for more leg speed and played a rushing game like they do.

The game plan with linking talls into the forward half in wet conditions had Harry go missing and our players bombing it again into the F50 to 1 on 4s. There was many a time, players pushing forward kicked it high to a tall on the wing rather than linking with handballs and pushing forward as a team. And we got killed on turnover. We've been doing it for a couple of years now so when are we going to call a spade a spade here and put the blame on Teague, it's his area after all.

What was also apparent was the centre clearances and how we got smoked by them without Martin and Cotchin. Lucky they didn't play.
This has been our issue all year, even before we put Ed and Murph back in. Both are too slow compared to the new age mids coming through. And it's pretty simple for other teams, shut down Cripps, kill us on the spread and we're cooked. If we don't get mids this year, expect another tough season next year.

We are lucky we have been developing such a good defence over the last couple of years otherwise we would've been annihilated. Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Newman, Simpson, Thomas and even SPS to an extent held back a very attacking outfit.

:clap:
Garlett has to have a chance. He is kicking goals in tyhe twos, he is quick, he has x factor.
All of those things are missing from Lang and DeLuca.
OK, they have better defensive sides but we need some X factor.
If he doesn't work out or even look like it, that's fine but for mine, he could replace any of DeLuca, Lang, Fisher and we would be no worse off.
Our F50 entries gave been crap for years. The 'kick it ong to Sticks/Fev/McKay mentality only works if the structure is in place to back it up.
Meanwhile, we get out-marked in our own F50 and then murdered on the rebound through the middle to an open F50 at their end. Thank goodness Jones and Weitering are god in the air or we would regularly lose by 50 points.
Unless three is some sort of changed mentality next week, we will lose to StK and that is not on the way we have been going about it. I have this terrible sensation that last night was a fork in the road. Next week is going to show us what they are made of.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:44 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Sombrero wrote:
I have this terrible sensation that last night was a fork in the road. Next week is going to show us what they are made of.

I agree that this game is very important.
Teague's future as senior coach may well rest on the result.
I'm sure Coniglio will be watching and if the Dees beat the Swans it might have a significant affect on the outcome of the Stocker trade. (Saying that I would think Melbourne would tank the last game of the year if they beat the Swans in order to get Rowell or Anderson).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
Game was over before half time

We need to stop giving sides a start (5 goals in the wet is like 50 points). Have done it in 3 of our 4 losses

Too much backslapping and high-fiveing this week with this bs #Teague2020

Players were not mentally switched on to go to war and make this their GF

Fisher has become the elephant in the room. I'd drop him for the last 2 games

Lang cannot leave Ikon Park quick enough for my liking

Deluca needs a rocket up his backside for passing to Thomas when he was 1m out on his left side

McKay...see Fisher

You're only as good as your bottom 6 players.
Yoy mentioned them, but you can't paint every player with the same brush.
We lack depth of ready made players: see Richmond reserves.

The Teague train is our momentum, not our brake imo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

david31 wrote:
We need to take a look at our centre clearance work this week. I feel like this is a bit of a barometer for us. With the 6-6-6 and 3 tall forwards we are extremely dangerous when we can break cleanly from the middle. Even if it doesn’t directly result in a score, it lets us set up behind the ball so Jones and Weitering can control the air back there and also allows us to play the game in our forward half.

We smashed the crows 17-8 out of the centre and it went a long way to winning the game.

We’ve been smashed in there the past two weeks (10-15 against the eagles and 4-13 today against the tigers).

This should be a strength of ours with some bigger bodies in there so it really needs to be looked at now.

Really obvious to many we need a tap ruckman who can feed a midfield group led by Cripps, Curnow and Murphy.

I love Kreuze. Truly love him for his loyalty to the Bluebaggers but he's not the answer moving forward.
Until he is replaced by someone bigger and tougher than Philips and Lobbe, this will be a continued trend.

Imagine a Grundy or Gawn feeding the abovementioned mids.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

idle wrote:
Pointy end of a grueling season, West Coast last week, up against a genuine flag contender today, young underdone bodies will be feeling it. Throw in the coaching shenanigans, broken synergy with injuries to key players throughout, I think they're giving it the best shot they can all things considered.

Still believing.

Fair points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:17 am 
Geoff Southby

We lack pace and ball carriers
Bolton had more of an impact than Curnow yesterday yet didn’t get it nearly as much
We have too many plodders
Setterfield
Silvagni
Curnow
Lang
Deluca
Cripps is amazing but not quick
Walsh has his worst game but he has been terrific
Fisher is way out of form but he has provided run and carry in the past
O’Brien is way off the pace for a second year top 10 pick
Needs to harden up
The concern for me yesterday was our best players were are old ones

Two things for next year to consider
If DeKoning has a big preseason I would have him first ruck
Fast track his progress like the Dogs have with English
Kreuzer can’t make it through a full season Phillips lacks the physicality
There needs to be a week to week synergy
We were smashed at the centre clearances with no Martin and Cotchin
2 To not be fit enough to play when your on $700000
A year is hard to fathom
McGovern is here for another 4 years so I would have him in another role further up the ground
Similar to Jeremy at the coasters or even a wing
If that doesn’t work because of his work rate make him the highest paid reserves player
He was ok when he came back on
Still don’t rate him

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:33 am 
Harry Vallence

bluedog wrote:
sammywaslow wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
SOJ has had a good month, but he was poor today.

He was putrid, but wasn't on his Pat Malone.

BEST
Richmond: Prestia, Edwards, Vlastuin, Lambert, Graham
Carlton: Cripps, Simpson, Thomas, Petrevski-Seton, Silvagni

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-11/match-report-richmond-v-carlton

Id have Jones in that list - Very stiff not to be acknowledged

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Jones won one of th most important battles on the ground vs Reiwoldt.

Weiters was not given fair treatment by umpire.
4 Frees against 0 frees for.
Robbed.

Even heard umpire say to Reiwoldt that he dragged Weiters down not the other way around, and still didnt pay the free to Weiters.
Caught out by his own microphone. That's typical of the umpiring against Carlton.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:01 am 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
Jones won one of th most important battles on the ground vs Reiwoldt.

Weiters was not given fair treatment by umpire.
4 Frees against 0 frees for.
Robbed.

Even heard umpire say to Reiwoldt that he dragged Weiters down not the other way around, and still didnt pay the free to Weiters.
Caught out by his own microphone. That's typical of the umpiring against Carlton.

My favourite was when he had his arm held *before* he took possession of the ball with his free hand yet got pinged for HTB.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
We lack pace and ball carriers
Bolton had more of an impact than Curnow yesterday yet didn’t get it nearly as much

Bolton?

We have too many plodders
Setterfield
Silvagni
Curnow
Lang
Deluca
Cripps is amazing but not quick

If we replace Lang, Deluca with 2 strong and quick mids that would change the make up.
Need some outside speed. Cuningham adds that but he's injured.
Hope Setterfield goes into the coal face next year and win his own ball. Needs to build upper strength.

Walsh has his worst game but he has been terrific

Fisher is way out of form but he has provided run and carry in the past

Fisher's quick, but has gone missing for a long time now.

O’Brien is way off the pace for a second year top 10 pick
Needs to harden up Can't stick a tackle. Needs to improve his strength

The concern for me yesterday was our best players were are old ones

They played where they should and the heir apparents will have to put on more muscle: they have a 2 year window.

Two things for next year to consider
If DeKoning has a big preseason I would have him first ruck

Totally Agree. All he needs is to build his upper body strength and he's the package.

Fast track his progress like the Dogs have with English
Kreuzer can’t make it through a full season Phillips lacks the physicality
There needs to be a week to week synergy
We were smashed at the centre clearances with no Martin and Cotchin
2 To not be fit enough to play when your on $700000
A year is hard to fathom
McGovern is here for another 4 years so I would have him in another role further up the ground
Similar to Jeremy at the coasters or even a wing
If that doesn’t work because of his work rate make him the highest paid reserves player
He was ok when he came back on
Still don’t rate him ... you're a bit harsh writing him off altogether So what what he's paid.
He has a lot to offer ... when fit. Yesterday's conditions were not the right forum to show his fitness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:21 pm 
Bert Deacon

dont blame the weather tigers have beaten us in last 5 yrs day night doesnt matter ,why do they beat us simple to quick and our game plan of kicking the long bomb fell into there hands and away they go .So after the wce game i thought the team and coaches would have learned but no .My concern with the currant coach is we are falling behind in to many games ,how does he change this .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

jamespul65 wrote:
... My concern with the currant coach is we are falling behind in to many games ,how does he change this .

Thanks for raisin' this.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

:D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

moshe25 wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
... My concern with the currant coach is we are falling behind in to many games ,how does he change this .

Thanks for raisin' this.

Sour grapes perhaps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

We could've done with Ollie Wines out there

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

did Shaun Griggio play?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

moshe25 wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

Thanks for raisin' this.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

Is Rocca at the club full time working on our forward conversions or just a day here and there? Seems a bit like Semi Sav at the moment...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next