Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJFg-4fJGV8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
IMO The problem today was player selection foremost:
-Philips is a good tap ruck and even though we won the hit-outs today, Kreuzer is not a good tap ruck and frequently hit the ball to the opposition when he gets his hand on it. However he is another mid and is good at it.
-The Gov, although he played ok should not have come in. Why do we need 4 talls in the team in the rain.
-Dropping Kennedy was a huge mistake when he should've stayed in and at the least had Lang dropped.
-Garlett was an emergency and should've been played considering the speed of their team.
-We should've also played Dow and/or Stocker for more leg speed and played a rushing game like they do.

The game plan with linking talls into the forward half in wet conditions had Harry go missing and our players bombing it again into the F50 to 1 on 4s. There was many a time, players pushing forward kicked it high to a tall on the wing rather than linking with handballs and pushing forward as a team. And we got killed on turnover. We've been doing it for a couple of years now so when are we going to call a spade a spade here and put the blame on Teague, it's his area after all.

What was also apparent was the centre clearances and how we got smoked by them without Martin and Cotchin. Lucky they didn't play.
This has been our issue all year, even before we put Ed and Murph back in. Both are too slow compared to the new age mids coming through. And it's pretty simple for other teams, shut down Cripps, kill us on the spread and we're cooked. If we don't get mids this year, expect another tough season next year.

We are lucky we have been developing such a good defence over the last couple of years otherwise we would've been annihilated. Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Newman, Simpson, Thomas and even SPS to an extent held back a very attacking outfit.

:clap:
Garlett has to have a chance. He is kicking goals in tyhe twos, he is quick, he has x factor.

Garlett was no chance. He was the emergency because they want to get games into the players that have a future. He'll be gone the week after round 23.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
IMO The problem today was player selection foremost:
-Philips is a good tap ruck and even though we won the hit-outs today, Kreuzer is not a good tap ruck and frequently hit the ball to the opposition when he gets his hand on it. However he is another mid and is good at it.
-The Gov, although he played ok should not have come in. Why do we need 4 talls in the team in the rain.
-Dropping Kennedy was a huge mistake when he should've stayed in and at the least had Lang dropped.
-Garlett was an emergency and should've been played considering the speed of their team.
-We should've also played Dow and/or Stocker for more leg speed and played a rushing game like they do.

The game plan with linking talls into the forward half in wet conditions had Harry go missing and our players bombing it again into the F50 to 1 on 4s. There was many a time, players pushing forward kicked it high to a tall on the wing rather than linking with handballs and pushing forward as a team. And we got killed on turnover. We've been doing it for a couple of years now so when are we going to call a spade a spade here and put the blame on Teague, it's his area after all.

What was also apparent was the centre clearances and how we got smoked by them without Martin and Cotchin. Lucky they didn't play.
This has been our issue all year, even before we put Ed and Murph back in. Both are too slow compared to the new age mids coming through. And it's pretty simple for other teams, shut down Cripps, kill us on the spread and we're cooked. If we don't get mids this year, expect another tough season next year.

We are lucky we have been developing such a good defence over the last couple of years otherwise we would've been annihilated. Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Newman, Simpson, Thomas and even SPS to an extent held back a very attacking outfit.

Garlett has to have a chance. He is kicking goals in tyhe twos, he is quick, he has x factor.

Garlett was no chance. He was the emergency because they want to get games into the players that have a future. He'll be gone the week after round 23.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Does anyone have a link to the video of the after the siren mark.

Apparently the umpire couldn't hear the siren through his ear piece as the microchip in the idiots brain receives AFL approved instructions on a half second delay.

The umpires eyes and ears are painted on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Clearly....

the ball was in the air still...we all saw it...
don't understand how it hasn't been discussed...!

in the media that is...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 pm 
Serge Silvagni

jim wrote:
Crusader wrote:
We’ll be in a much better list position if/when we can upgrade Deluca, Fisher, Gibbons & Lang. That would leave O’Brien, Plowman & Newman as the least effective out there today & we’ve seen them do enough good stuff to give them a pass.

I personally thought Silvagni was ok, if troubled by his first touch with the wet ball.

Starting to wonder whether Kreuzer is on the same page as his midfielders at the ruck contests. Still plenty of clean taps to fresh air... he’s a lot better than the others around the ground, so he’s still #1, but there needs to be a focus on that area in the coaching department.

Fisher will be ok, just struggling for now. Gibbons has been a great pick up. Deluca was a mid season pick up so wasn't expecting much. Not sure why we played Lang.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

Watch from 4.25sec..

The players clearly heard the siren.. Daisy clearly heard it. The commentators were also bewildered.

The umpire was the only person in the stadium that didn't hear the siren. The ball was four meters away from the player.

The umpires are stinking the game up more than ever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

So why name him an emergency at all then? Going by your theory they should've named either Stocker or Dow.

Sorry BV but your theory has no legs.

He still might not be at the club at the end of the year, but he would've been a better addition than Deluca or Lang who produced.........zip.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Game was over before half time

We need to stop giving sides a start (5 goals in the wet is like 50 points). Have done it in 3 of our 4 losses

Too much backslapping and high-fiveing this week with this bs #Teague2020

Players were not mentally switched on to go to war and make this their GF

Fisher has become the elephant in the room. I'd drop him for the last 2 games

Lang cannot leave Ikon Park quick enough for my liking

Deluca needs a rocket up his backside for passing to Thomas when he was 1m out on his left side

McKay...see Fisher

You're only as good as your bottom 6 players.
Yoy mentioned them, but you can't paint every player with the same brush.
We lack depth of ready made players: see Richmond reserves.

The Teague train is our momentum, not our brake imo

Will have to disagree on this occasion Bondi. The tail should never wag the dog
Sometimes momentum can suddenly mutate into mythical proportions

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

So why name him an emergency at all then? Going by your theory they should've named either Stocker or Dow.

He still might not be at the club at the end of the year, but he would've been a better addition than Deluca or Lang who produced.........zip.

How do you get games in to Stocker or Dow if they are not playing NB's or for Carlton, that's why Garlett was selected. Garlett did not play at all on the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 pm 
Banned

Im actually finding the umpiring 10 years ago better than what it is today.

Well theres been no improvement at least

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue4ever wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

How do you get games in to Stocker or Dow if they are not playing NB's or for Carlton, that's why Garlett was selected. Garlett did not play at all on the weekend.

Both Stocker and Dow played on the weekend for NBs. Am I missing something! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:01 am 
Bert Deacon

Sidefx wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Both Stocker and Dow played on the weekend for NBs. Am I missing something! :roll:

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

The club did the same thing with Jaksch in his final year. They weren't interested in offering him another contract but they also didn't want the youngsters missing game time in the VFL. That's why he was the travelling emergency a number of times.
There's precedence if you have a look. If I'm incorrect, I'll happily admit it. I'd like to see him make it as he has the ability.
A lot will have to change for him to get another year but good luck to him if he can turn it around. He enjoys the benefits of AFL footy but doesn't want to put in the effort and application required IMO.

As for Deluca and Lang. We need to look at the roles played and not just the stats in the paper.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:47 am 
Geoff Southby

billy_bongo wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Yes.

Insightful. An intellect like yourself has truly missed your calling.
:grin:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

The club did the same thing with Jaksch in his final year. They weren't interested in offering him another contract but they also didn't want the youngsters missing game time in the VFL. That's why he was the travelling emergency a number of times.
There's precedence if you have a look. If I'm incorrect, I'll happily admit it. I'd like to see him make it as he has the ability.
A lot will have to change for him to get another year but good luck to him if he can turn it around. He enjoys the benefits of AFL footy but doesn't want to put in the effort and application required IMO.

As for Deluca and Lang. We need to look at the roles played and not just the stats in the paper.

I see your point but a few things come to mind. I would understand this theory if we were playing interstate or even at a different ground. And why was he the only emergency to not play in the VFL (Goddard, Phillips & Kennedy did). Kennedy being the only 'young' one that should've got game time in either game. Plus since Teague has taken over, playing young ones has been thrown out the door, his goal has been to win games with whoever he can. Personally, I think he could've done more damage for us than some others on the park on Sunday. Unless he was injured or ill.

I think the role of a small pressure forward is pretty obvious, especially in the wet. Apply pressure, crumb the talls, assist goals and kick them yourself.
Deluca had 14 disposals and 5 tackles and Lang had 4 disposals and 3 tackles, both with no goals or goal assists. It's pretty safe to say the pressure was there but for no result = failed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

I see your point but a few things come to mind. I would understand this theory if we were playing interstate or even at a different ground. And why was he the only emergency to not play in the VFL (Goddard, Phillips & Kennedy did). Kennedy being the only 'young' one that should've got game time in either game. Plus since Teague has taken over, playing young ones has been thrown out the door, his goal has been to win games with whoever he can. Personally, I think he could've done more damage for us than some others on the park on Sunday. Unless he was injured or ill.

I think the role of a small pressure forward is pretty obvious, especially in the wet. Apply pressure, crumb the talls, assist goals and kick them yourself.
Deluca had 14 disposals and 5 tackles and Lang had 4 disposals and 3 tackles, both with no goals or goal assists. It's pretty safe to say the pressure was there but for no result = failed.
So Teague has put a team on the park in an effort to try and win games.
That's an interesting approach I wonder why someone didn't think of this before now

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

So Teague has put a team on the park in an effort to try and win games.
That's an interesting approach I wonder why someone didn't think of this before now

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It's great how you pick bits out of a conversation and make comment, while totally avoiding the relevant information and context it was made in.
Good for you, a real contributor.
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:

As I said, don't just look at their stats. What was their role?
I didn't go to the game but I know Houli and Grimes both played below their average. That didn't happen by accident.
Perhaps they played a negating or disrupting role. Perhaps they performed the roles they were given well. Saying their performance was a failure is short sighted without actually knowing what their role was.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
I see your point but a few things come to mind. I would understand this theory if we were playing interstate or even at a different ground. And why was he the only emergency to not play in the VFL (Goddard, Phillips & Kennedy did). Kennedy being the only 'young' one that should've got game time in either game.

IMHO, Garlett will be gone in 2 weeks. Goddard, Kennedy and Phillips are putting in the effort and deserve the opportunity to develop and to fight for a spot win the list.
If Garlett is not gone in 14 days, obviously I've read the tea leaves incorrectly but the club has precedence with this process.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next