Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:45 am 
Ken Hunter

I’m not saying he is scared, I am suggesting he is not physical or mentally ready just yet. I don’t think he has mentally flicked the switch for pure desperation and a desire to put his body on the line at crucial stages.

He might be a work in progress but needs to be mentally and physically harder to beat. I doubt any opponent in a 1 on 1 has any fears against him. He’s an okay kick and he can run all day but he isn’t racking up massive stats to justify his inclusion. His hurt factor is pretty low.

Let hm learn the necessary traits in the VFL.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:28 am 
Harry Vallence

We seemed to have so many skinny kids, it looked like boys against men at times. Nothing a bit of time in the gym can't fix, a lot to look forward to. The final score flattered us, but loved the way we ran out the match.

Like others I thought Schumacher showed some good signs. Out marked for a goal early, caught by Yeo, many in their first game may have dropped their bundle. He might make it, he might not, but he's got some ticker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:30 am 
Rod Ashman

Cazzesman wrote:
I’m not saying he is scared, I am suggesting he is not physical or mentally ready just yet. I don’t think he has mentally flicked the switch for pure desperation and a desire to put his body on the line at crucial stages.

He might be a work in progress but needs to be mentally and physically harder to beat. I doubt any opponent in a 1 on 1 has any fears against him. He’s an okay kick and he can run all day but he isn’t racking up massive stats to justify his inclusion. His hurt factor is pretty low.

Regards Cazzesman

If i was politically correct i will say he needs to work on his ball handling skills and mental fortitude.
I'm not so i will just say he hears footsteps from 15 meters away, shits himself and fumbles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Keep in mind he's a bonafide wingman being asked to play the majority of his TOG in the backline. It's good for his development, but if you're after hurt factor, you're only going to get that if he plays on the wing and can improve his awareness of quick spread from the contest.
Playing reserves footy isn't the answer. He had a slow start to the year but has improved steadily for someone aged 19. Big preseason coming up for the third year boys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

billc3 wrote:
Rexy wrote:
10 goals to 2 from midway through the 2nd qtr to midway through the 3rd looks to have been the killer. What the hell happened there ..??
After beating them at the contest for a quarter and a half, the WCE start putting more numbers forward, but then of course are susceptible out back...
We get them twice out back, Gibbons is pulled off the ball first time, McGovern is paid a blocking free the second... Both time (IINM) it goes back for a WCE goal...
The umps have NFI what is happening in the game and NFI what to pay.....
Both cares were clear...
Third goal was a clear throw...
Second quarter ends up 7 to them 2 to us, should have been about 5 and 3or 4....different game...

Their ball use was cleaner, that's why we lost.... But after that second quarter disgrace, as I said, it's a different game because we have to chase it (and take risks) whereas they defend it and capitalise on our turnovers

Go Blues

I'm glad you bring these important and critical moments to our attention bill. Totally agree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

They put the cue in the rack pretty early on in the last qtr. Game wasn't a contest after the first. What you saw in West Coast yesterday was where Carlton should be aiming to be in about 3 years. Looked a lot like a training drill out there for much of yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
I did say middle of last week that we should not have rushed Fish back, and I stand by that.

My words were that he relies on repeat efforts to spread and close, and having just been sick his top end speed and ability to go again and again would have been compromised.

I also wonder if living with Crippa (and their two partners) might be getting to his head a bit. Needs to get back to basics... hasn't had his head right all year.

I think you may have been right rob.

I dont know about your last line, but its amazing what a reality check (like McGoverns) will do. Fish needs to worry about his spot and play for his spot...so if he's not in form play him in the reserves....but this week against the tigers there is no replacement for him, plus I'm hoping his energy levels are greater this week than just post virus.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Good reality check on what is required,
However our team and backline esp is decimated by injury. So overall, we at least matched them in most stats, except cleanliness.

I thought O'Brien has been showing a few better signs. Stronger in the tackle than he used to be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:28 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

I agree Cass.

IMO he's got the tools and needs development but has been thrown into the deep end from the get go and he hasnt been physically ready.

He tried to tackle bigger bodies, probably similar height and he looked like a kid out of his depth imo.

Needs to develop more mongrel and muscle over the summer....imo...and if he is bumped back in the queue due to some big inclusions to our list, then VFL it is 2019 as a developing player which is what he is.

He's a work in progress. I love his run and defensive running and when he's confident he has a good boot on him. Plenty of upside.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:09 pm 
Robert Walls

McKay misses a long shot at goal.
Casboult misses a long-ish shot at goal.
Gibbons gets dragged down running towards goal.
Gibbons gets penalised for blocking when Kennedy has the ball in space heading into the 50.

That's the four goals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

Cripps got caught unaware, HTB in his first game. I thought Schu did OK.

What’s the go with Mcgovern? I was expecting to see him play 2s on the weekend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

back this week or next.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

Still trying to understand the rules. I know you can't block an opponent out of contest, but my understanding was that you could protect the drop zone of the ball. Gibbons probably thought the same thing. Not sure now how this works with sheparding a goal through, which has always seemed to be ok.

What a difference two goals in junk time makes. If WC had of scored them instead of us it starts to look like a thrashing. Hopefully someone reminds them before the weekend that % is important for them.

I saw nothing that dampens my enthusiasm for giving Teague the job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

Under pressure we got sucked back into bombing it long into our forward line. We lost the bold daring play that has been winning us games the last 2 months. We didn’t play on as much, didn’t break lines, didn’t lower our eyes and hit up short targets. That’s pretty much where the game was won and lost. If there one team in the league you can’t bomb long to it’s West Coast. They lapped it up. Hopefully this is a good learning experience and highlights what not to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:15 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BigKev wrote:
Still trying to understand the rules. I know you can't block an opponent out of contest, but my understanding was that you could protect the drop zone of the ball. Gibbons probably thought the same thing. Not sure now how this works with sheparding a goal through, which has always seemed to be ok.

What a difference two goals in junk time makes. If WC had of scored them instead of us it starts to look like a thrashing. Hopefully someone reminds them before the weekend that % is important for them.

I saw nothing that dampens my enthusiasm for giving Teague the job.
Don't bother BigKev...
The only thinking is "Mcgovern would probably get that ball, Gibbons must have blocked"
The fact that he protects the drop zone and DOES NOT move is forgotten...
Reverse the players and it's 'unrealistic attempt'.
Umps are paying 'Carlton aren't that good' frees....
In terms of blocking, have a look at Weitering being held by Kennedy (his only objective) both to allow Darling to mark AND to try and get the ball over the line....
Again, reverse the players and it goes the other way....
NFI umpires using bias and what they think must have happened rather than actually F$&+ING watching...
When you pay what you THINK has happened, the 'better' team will get the bulk of the frees....

Conversely, Caz falls over in the ruck, therefore he must have been pushed over... He's pretty solid you know...!?,!?

We got the free,, my question would be be to the guy standing 2 meters directly in front 'what did you see... NOT WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENED'

Been happening all season...

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:27 pm 
Bert Deacon

stronger and quicker thats all

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

Hard to believe, given our list composition, we were a couple of talls short yesterday, yet we managed just the five marks inside 50 for the day & Harry was taking uncontested grabs in the defensive 50. Pretty confident that Jones, Marchbank & Curnow would be +25pts on yesterday's effort. If nothing else, the two defenders would go a long way to limiting that eight goal drubbing in the middle quarters.

Don't need to see Goddard anymore. If Jones needs more time, give Ben a taste of the big time & maybe spark his inner gym rat. At this point in the season, he doesn't need to be ready.
Could give Schumacher another go, if only to release Newman up the ground again. Angus is probably 6th or 7th best option for that half back role.
Might've already seen the best of Fisher. He's a bit better than Dylan Buckley, without having any greater impact. Really needs to find a way to compete in a higher weight class - whether that's by bulking up, or learning a bit of ring craft, or a combination of both. In any case, his speed isn't doing any damage.
O'Brien is.... i'm not sure. There's definitely something there, it just seems to show up a quarter later than when we really need it. What he lacks won't be found in the VFL.
Phillips went pretty good. Tom Hickey is no trophy kill, but a kill nonetheless.
Kennedy the midfielder is a better prospect than Kennedy the forward. Hope he gets back in there soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:13 pm 
Ken Hands

Great game for our guys to learn from . Shows what they need to work on over the preseason . Time in the gym for most , clean disposal by hand and foot . They would be flag favourites I think .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:37 pm 
Bob Chitty

Heavs wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
A little bemused by the Schumacher comments too. Apart from being caught by Yeo (Any talk going on?), he adjusted quite well, won a couple of contests, good spoils and great foot skills.

What bar are you setting a first game kid against the best forward line in the league?

Yep, agree. He got outmarked early doors but recovered from that. And he got run down by Yeo (if it happens again next week then maybe there is an issue) and maybe another time or so he was a little slow adjusting to the pace of the game. But he has a nice kick - without looking at stats he would have hit 90% of his targets, seemed to know where to run and his teammates didn't seem shy in kicking him the footy. I'd like to see him get a run at it for the rest of the year.

Agree with all of this.
For me the test that he might be ok is that he showed more yesterday than he does in the vfl.

Last edited by BigGartos on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:43 pm 
Bob Chitty

jake_h03 wrote:
Under pressure we got sucked back into bombing it long into our forward line. We lost the bold daring play that has been winning us games the last 2 months. We didn’t play on as much, didn’t break lines, didn’t lower our eyes and hit up short targets. That’s pretty much where the game was won and lost. If there one team in the league you can’t bomb long to it’s West Coast. They lapped it up. Hopefully this is a good learning experience and highlights what not to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I reckon you are right, with my comment that we did start playing the right way and hitting leading targets but as they raised the pressure we fell more into bombing or picking wrong options.
Overall we were one decent tall light which had most impact linking between possessions on the wing and the next kick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next