Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

Walsh wrote:
azzablue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
I have no issue SOS coming back just keep him away from having a say when it comes to drafting mids.

Good you are back , always welcome even with the demise of Teague in the coming days ...

Are you sure?

I hear different.

More additional appointments coming. It's unlikely anyone is going to get sacked just contracts not renewed.

Diesel will follow process and direct football department and be Lloyds boss. Bonus is - both Lloyd and Teague has someone to talk to at board level as Juddy was out of his depth.

Incorrect on just about every point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:02 am 
Harry Vallence

A bloke that has spent the past couple of years claiming that numerous blows to the head have prohibited him from performing his regular activities of daily living or being able to remember things from last week or from his career.

So either, this is demonstrably false, and we've hired someone better suited to A Current Affair, or we've selected the equivalent of Milo Kerrigan to a position that carries significant fiduciary responsibilities in the eyes of the law.

Can we have another review?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:23 am 
Serge Silvagni

A semi - concussed diesel is still better than the rest.

Never underestimate the great man.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:32 am 
Harry Vallence

When you say the rest, you mean other former players we could be giving an on off-field job to? Or other legitimate applicants for a board position without an acquired brain injury?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:35 am 
Serge Silvagni

The rest full stop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:07 am 
Stephen Kernahan

BlueJean wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
Could SOS be footy manager ?

It could be on the cards.

Ockhams razor wrote:
Keep an eye out for SOS

Well things would certainly be United at the club for the first time in a looooong while. Ross sos diesel.... all “winners” in my book.

Folks, you can’t change the DNA of a club like Carlton. It’s been tried unsuccessfully in recent times....and look where that got us...up ship creek!

Sticks was a winner as well. How did we go when he was president?
Because your heroes played for the club doesn't make them great administrators or decision makers. SOS has a son on the list and you want him as football manager? Any conflict there?
He demonstrated with his drafting of Ben and his tease pony in Finbar that he cant seperate the clubs interests from his own. Last time it was all about SOS and I cant see it changing. I loved him as a player. I loved Bruce Doull and Kouta too but it doesn't mean I want them back running the club. FFS, I thought we'd gone past "old Carlton" coming to rescue us.

The "DNA of a club like Carlton" as you put it put us down the toilet. Remember 2005? The club begging the AFL to allow us to survive? We've been the AFL's bitch for 20 years because of old school "Carlton DNA". Sponsors didn't want to know us. The club lost any dignity and respect that had remained. That's what old school Carlton decisions did to us.
I thought we'd progressed past this @#$%&! rubbish.
I've been supportive of Sayers to date but if he ends up implementing fanboy appointments, he can @#$%&! off as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:41 am 
Horrie Clover

I know people like Lyons line about winning silverware, but there's nothing given about winning flags in the AFL.

You can do everything right and still miss out, and our club is not doing everything right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:59 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I always raise an eyebrow when the club once again hire or appoint one of their own. Logic suggests its impossible the best candidate is always the Carlton person. Also not convinced he is a great communicator. We approached Leppitsch and Dunstal who aren't CFC folk.

But I suppose he loves the club and the passion is important. And there's no doubt he knows football.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:55 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
BlueJean wrote:

Ockhams razor wrote:
Keep an eye out for SOS

Well things would certainly be United at the club for the first time in a looooong while. Ross sos diesel.... all “winners” in my book.

Folks, you can’t change the DNA of a club like Carlton. It’s been tried unsuccessfully in recent times....and look where that got us...up ship creek!

Because your heroes played for the club doesn't make them great administrators or decision makers. SOS has a son on the list and you want him as football manager? Any conflict there?
He demonstrated with his drafting of Ben and his tease pony in Finbar that he cant seperate the clubs interests from his own. Last time it was all about SOS and I cant see it changing. I loved him as a player. I loved Bruce Doull and Kouta too but it doesn't mean I want them back running the club. FFS, I thought we'd gone past "old Carlton" coming to rescue us.

The "DNA of a club like Carlton" as you put it put us down the toilet. Remember 2005? The club begging the AFL to allow us to survive? We've been the AFL's bitch for 20 years because of old school "Carlton DNA". Sponsors didn't want to know us. The club lost any dignity and respect that had remained. That's what old school Carlton decisions did to us.
I've been supportive of Sayers to date but if he ends up implementing fanboy appointments, he can @#$%&! off as well.

I am assuming the review indicated what is wrong within the structure and that new people with certain qualities need to come in to fill certain roles. If Diesel fits the required description then I'm OK with the appointment. As always, only time will tell. I think what is more important are the replacements on the board.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:16 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
BlueJean wrote:

Ockhams razor wrote:
Keep an eye out for SOS

Jeez BV
Looks like you finally coming around
Whatever. Change occurs seems Carlton can’t escape Carlton
Diesel football director?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:19 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
BlueJean wrote:

Ockhams razor wrote:
Keep an eye out for SOS

Jeez BV
Looks like you finally coming around
Whatever. Change occurs seems Carlton can’t escape Carlton
Diesel football director?

keogh: torch the board, there the problem
Carlton: okay
keogh: no not like that your doing it wrong

(spelling mistakes intentional for accuracy)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:23 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
A bloke that has spent the past couple of years claiming that numerous blows to the head have prohibited him from performing his regular activities of daily living or being able to remember things from last week or from his career.

So either, this is demonstrably false, and we've hired someone better suited to A Current Affair, or we've selected the equivalent of Milo Kerrigan to a position that carries significant fiduciary responsibilities in the eyes of the law.

Can we have another review?

Initially I thought it was an interesting choice. I thought at least Diesel will call it as he sees it and wont sugar coat anything so could be a good appointment.
However, you certainly make some valid and concerning points. Either he grossly embellished his condition, or this needs to be looked at a lot more cloesely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:39 am 
Harry Vallence

And that's before we get into whether he had any role in the Docklands Press saga that he's now removed from his LinkedIn bio.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 548q6.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:11 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
And that's before we get into whether he had any role in the Docklands Press saga that he's now removed from his LinkedIn bio.

Diesel wasn't involved in that. He'd split from Waratah well before the shit hit the fan. Sticks is another story altogether. His behaviour was disgraceful. Phoning clients begging them not to put them on stop credit as they were financially sound. Asking them to complete all works. A few weeks later it collapses and plenty of small businesses lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Meanwhile the directors had sold off assets etc and left a hollow shell.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:13 am 
Harry Vallence

Thanks for clarifying that, BV. I stand corrected.

That's horrific from Sticks. I look forward to him being sounded out for a return to the board in no time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:16 am 
Bruce Doull

I love Diesel but I hope he doesn't have all his 90s mates in his ear muddying the waters every time a decision needs to be made

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:38 am 
Craig Bradley

Judd was a Nobel Laureate & look at the mess he left behind.

Diesel might be shit at business, but he’s not some mealy-mouthed corporate climber.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:41 am 
John Nicholls

Blue Vain wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Diesel wasn't involved in that. He'd split from Waratah well before the shit hit the fan. Sticks is another story altogether. His behaviour was disgraceful. Phoning clients begging them not to put them on stop credit as they were financially sound. Asking them to complete all works. A few weeks later it collapses and plenty of small businesses lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Meanwhile the directors had sold off assets etc and left a hollow shell.

Joizus H. That's seriously sick behaviour. Lacking empathy..........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:43 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

The Elliott playbook.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:50 am 
John Nicholls

Back in '95 Diesel was injured for a spell. It might have been '96, actually. But I remember we were going pretty good at the time.

Anyway I was at a game at the 'G and at half time saw the man procuring a healthy serving of chips and a burger at one of the fine eateries in the Southern stand.

I remember approaching him (as a starstruck 14 year old) and asking how long till he was back playing.

"Coupla weeks mate. This'll help me heal up" he said.

Felt totally vindicated that if a star midfielder was into the deep fried chow while injured during a premiership window... my life choices moving forward were set out before me and very simple.

Anyway. That's the kind of commitment and discipline we need. Give us the m-fing cup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next