Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 am 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Humpers wrote:
keogh wrote:
Are you surprised we are 2 wins and 11 losses
I’m not.

Keogh, the reason we are so poor is beacause we stuffed up 7 drafts in a row from 2008 to 2014 (except Cripps). It really is that simple. It isn't because of what we've done from 2015 to present.

The reason we are where we are at the moment is because we’ve stuffed up the last 4 trade periods.

Most of those trades were steak knives or delisted free agents just trying to find big bodies for the kids. SOS made it clear they were VFL players and needed for the kids. While you're picking kids with your picks you're not able to use those picks to get top players. The plan was to go to the draft for 3 years and use the picks there. We have set up a decent side through the draft, just lack the good 24-27yos, not for the lack of trying, mostly because no-one decent wants to come to us.

We got ourselves in this position because we stuffed up every from from the 90s to 2014.

Agree with all that
Problem is the mature players were or are below average
He could of done a lot better. There would be a dozen blokes in the Geelong Football League better
than some blokes he got to top the list up. Meanwhile clubs like Geelong snag Kelly. Not enough diligence was placed on getting some mature bodies from the West and South Australia .

I keep coming back to the point about the third year of this rebuild.
We were not just bad. We were absolutely pathetic. Surely the List Management team might take stock and think that some of blokes they recruited were not as good as they thought.
Getting blokes like Shaw,Mullett and O’ Shea was plain @#$%&! embarrassing

What compounds the problem more is Dow, O’ Brien and Kennedy who were picked with high picks.
They really haven’t done much.
Kennedy is ordinary
O’Brien is soft and many recruiters were surprised by his selection at ten for that reason
Dow is a real concern. His kicking is horrible but more of a worry is he can’t find it
He needs to go back to the magoos to get some confidence

Personally I don’t think much of the other 2
Hopefully DeKoning will become the ruckman we need.
They should of reset again last year at the draft and didn’t.
Do what it’s worth McAdam has the physical tools to make it
Kreuger is showing great form at the VFL
At the very least we should have used pick 13 on Stocker and waited a year before going for mature players
But not McGovern
Setterfield is just a player. I personally would of kept Kreuger and had a pick on the early 20s in this draft. Sos’sbest pick was Fisher at 27. It can be done Jim.
Fasolo :fight:

Sos’s first draft was excellent. His second draft was good although with picking deciding its all too hard
means the Tuohy trade is a bit of a stinker .

Our first 3 picks in the 2019 draft will be around 15 then 2 picks in the 40 s
I wonder what MLG thinks of that
I think I know what Liddle thinks.
The future is not looking good

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:14 am 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
jim wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Humpers wrote:
keogh wrote:
Are you surprised we are 2 wins and 11 losses
I’m not.

Keogh, the reason we are so poor is beacause we stuffed up 7 drafts in a row from 2008 to 2014 (except Cripps). It really is that simple. It isn't because of what we've done from 2015 to present.

The reason we are where we are at the moment is because we’ve stuffed up the last 4 trade periods.

Most of those trades were steak knives or delisted free agents just trying to find big bodies for the kids. SOS made it clear they were VFL players and needed for the kids. While you're picking kids with your picks you're not able to use those picks to get top players. The plan was to go to the draft for 3 years and use the picks there. We have set up a decent side through the draft, just lack the good 24-27yos, not for the lack of trying, mostly because no-one decent wants to come to us.

We got ourselves in this position because we stuffed up every from from the 90s to 2014.

Agree with all that
Problem is the mature players were or are below average
He could of done a lot better. There would be a dozen blokes in the Geelong Football League better
than some blokes he got to top the list up. Meanwhile clubs like Geelong snag Kelly. Not enough diligence was placed on getting some mature bodies from the West and South Australia .

I keep coming back to the point about the third year of this rebuild.
We were not just bad. We were absolutely pathetic. Surely the List Management team might take stock and think that some of blokes they recruited were not as good as they thought.
Getting blokes like Shaw,Mullett and O’ Shea was plain @#$%&! embarrassing

What compounds the problem more is Dow, O’ Brien and Kennedy who were picked with high picks. haven’t really haven’t done much.
Kennedy is ordinary
O’Brien is soft and many recruiters were surprised by his selection at ten for that reason
Dow is a real concern. His kicking is horrible but more of a worry is he can’t find it
He needs to go back to the magoos to get some confidence

Personally I don’t think much of the other 2
Hopefully DeKoning will become the ruckman we need.
They should of reset again last year at the draft and didn’t.
For what it’s worth I believe McAdam has the physical tools to make it
Kreuger is showing great form at the VFL
At the very least we should have used pick 13 on Stocker and waited a year before going for mature players but not McGovern.
Setterfield is just a player. I personally would of kept Kreuger and had a pick on the early 20s in this draft. Silvangi’s best selection pick was Fisher at 27. It can be done Jim.
Fasolo :fight:

Sos’s first draft was excellent. His second draft was good although with Pickett deciding its all too hard
means the Tuohy trade is a bit of a stinker .

Our first 3 picks in the 2019 draft will be around 15 then 2 picks in the 40 s
I wonder what MLG thinks of that
I think I know what Liddle thinks.
The future is not looking good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:23 am 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Do I want the club to be successful Yes but it won’t be with the empty suits running the club. Sacking 5 coaches before their contracts expire and numerous changes elsewhere whilst board members have the god driven right to have 12 should be enough to convince supporters that something’s wrong unless you
live your life through rose coloured glasses

First - no coaches are sacked at the end of their contract with succession plan the only exception

Second - What do you think the board is responsible for?

1 Brittian
Pagan
Ratten
Malthouse
Bolton
All sacked before their contracts were up

2 The board are the bosses. Like any business if things arnt tickity boo they are ultimately responsible

Have a looked at the origin of the drugs scandal at the Bombers
It started by Evans handing the coaching job to his mate.
It then went from there. Take away the peptides we are similar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Do I want the club to be successful Yes but it won’t be with the empty suits running the club. Sacking 5 coaches before their contracts expire and numerous changes elsewhere whilst board members have the god driven right to have 12 should be enough to convince supporters that something’s wrong unless you

First - no coaches are sacked at the end of their contract with succession plan the only exception

1 Brittian
Pagan
Ratten
Malthouse
Bolton

2 The board are the bosses. Like any business if things arnt tickity boo they are ultimately responsible

We are the polar opposite.

We need the peptides.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:

1 Brittian
Pagan
Ratten
Malthouse
Bolton

1. Exactly like I said, which coach from any other team other than retiring coaches are not sacked?

2. Without being disrespectful, now you have made it very clear that your constant ranting about the board is based on clear misunderstanding on the responsibilities of corporate structures and not the performance of the board.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

Crippa wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
I thought the turning point was sending Ed off for a rest late in the third quarter and then bringing him back on once Bont got a couple of important touches, at the expense of his brother who was on a roll, Dogs had just moved Naughton into the backline.

Seemed like we were content with a 7 point lead and had done enough. Instead went in a goal down having absolutely flogged them that quarter. Waste of momentum.

We all know Ed is an elite runner but even he needs a rest. The turning point was simply not being able to get him back on after his rest. He was ready and trying to come on before they kicked their two late goals but the play was on the other side of the ground. Just unfortunate bad luck more than anything.

I don't think that's his point. With three minutes to go in the third they take Charlie off, who was absolutely killing it. We stopped scoring then and they finished with two late ones. Coincidence? Maybe. I think English came back on for them at around the same time.

General point though : I really hate seeing players taken off when they're on a roll. (And I don't think Charlie was exhausted).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:06 pm 
Laurie Kerr

BigKev wrote:
General point though : I really hate seeing players taken off when they're on a roll. (And I don't think Charlie was exhausted).

I agree. They did the same with Daisy when he kicked that goal, you could clearly see how pumped he was and seconds later you see him on the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:

1 Brittian
Pagan
Ratten
Malthouse
Bolton

1. Exactly like I said, which coach from any other team other than retiring coaches are not sacked?

2. Without being disrespectful, now you have made it very clear that your constant ranting about the board is based on clear misunderstanding on the responsibilities of corporate structures and not the performance of the board.

5 coaches in 18 years
12 years guaranteed for a board member
Get the picture?

I’ll say again
The fish rots from the head
Go back to the Essendon* analogy
You shouldn’t hand jobs based partly on friendship

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

And another thing
It works the other way in relation to what is obviously a tough job
Clarkos time at the Hawks is up despite all the success
He doesn’t want to bottom out but they will anyway
Chad Wingard
Scully
Wingard is another very overrated player like Mc Govern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:19 pm 
John James

Seems Keogh doesn't think much of McGovern.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:20 pm 
John James

Tell us about SOS again Keogh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:20 pm 
John James

Oh, and about the Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

windy wrote:
Seems Keogh doesn't think much of McGovern.

Goodaye Windy
What do you think of a guy who doesn’t lay one tackle and gets 700000 gorillas a season
I guess if it makes you feel any better Wingard isn’t travelling too flash
Burton pick 15 and 35 for a similar “Hollywood “ player
It just isn’t us

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

And honestly tell me where you thought we would be on the ladder half way through the season

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

And the new coach who reckons he is selfless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:

1 Brittian
Pagan
Ratten
Malthouse
Bolton

5 coaches in 18 years
Get the picture?

I’ll say again
Go back to the Essendon** analogy

This is really not the place for this discussion so mods feel free to move it if desired

This current board has put in place people & systems to address a number of areas where we have performed poorly

1. Low membership even with one of the largest supporter bases in the AFL
2. Over reliance on outside monies and high debt
3. Underperforming high performance department
4. Old school drafting and coaching model
5. Non inclusive (boys club) club culture
6. Poor on field performance

Now other than point 6, I would argue that the Board has had great success in all other points. It put a new CEO in place to address point 1, 2 and 5 in appointing Trigg.

Trigg was successful in financial performance, bringing in a women's team and beginning to transform the club into a more inclusive culture, however failed to achieve the buy in from supporters to achieve the membership levels set by the board so was moved on and liddle appointed rather than just accepting the job half done.

The board oversaw a strategic plan to have the biggest rebuild in AFL history and put the resources behind it with clear direction to all parties - List manager, Coach, Media department and supporters.
This was to address point 4 and point 6 with internal KPI's of what was to be achieved. They have stuck to that bold plan and have not wavered, my understanding of the plan was to draft as many kids with high end picks as possible in first 3 years and then in year 4-5 target a free agent to help out the kids and fill in the holes. When KPI's weren't met, they sacked the coach rather than risk failing to execute the plan, again strong decision.

Same outcome in the women's team where we went from last to GF after coaching change.

When we reviewed last season it was clear to all and sundry that injuries was stalling our rebuild (point 3) and the high performance manager moved on and they targeted the best in the business in Andrew Russell

Record membership, success in women's team, better financials, upgrades in place for Ikon Park, much improved playing list, strong decisive decisions when people appointed by the board have not performed.

Again please explain to me where the board has failed their responsibilities.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:20 pm 
Ken Hands

Can I ask a question of the moderators? Not taking potshots at any particular poster but it seems like a lot of this should be in another thread. What happens when different threads end up being about the same topic?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:47 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

keogh wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
keogh wrote:

1 Brittian
Pagan
Ratten
Malthouse
Bolton

5 coaches in 18 years
Get the picture?

I’ll say again
Go back to the Essendon** analogy

Hand jobs and friendship go together well...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:04 pm 
John James

keogh wrote:
And honestly tell me where you thought we would be on the ladder half way through the season

One thing for sure, if I expressed my opinion I wouldn't repeat it in every vaguely relevant thread, 301 times.

Or should I say "would of not repeated"?

You are tiresome Keogh. Take the hint.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

moshe25 wrote:
Hand jobs and friendship go together well...

We’ve been friends nearly two decades.

Am I doing something wrong? :lol:

Mort Sahl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next