Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

Surely we won’t lose SOS. He is an integral part of our future.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

doofdoof wrote:
Crusader wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Unless there is dissent within the club (I don't believe there is, now Bolton is gone), I doubt SOS will leave. Particularly given his friendship with MlG.

His list management is starting to look very, very good. And now we're looking like Brisbane last year... ready to catch the comp blindsided... he will be able to bring in some very good players for next year. Why would he want to go right when he can put the finishing strokes on his painting?

The list has got more holes than a crumpet and he's got no room in the cap to pay the emerging talent.

He's done ok, but not 'General Manager's salary in a luxury tax environment' ok.

where did you get the no room in the cap info from?

been told we've not paid at 100% of the cap for a while and have built a war chest for future recruits..

$700k sunk into fat camp.
Need to reserve $1m+ for Cripps in 2021.
Our age profile is sort of like a debt bubble. All of the emerging talent will be worthy of 1.5-2x the average wage at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:38 pm 
Robert Walls

Haha.

So the problem is we are at 95% of the salary cap and have drafted too well are now have players whose wages will have to be managed going forward.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:56 pm 
Robert Walls

Crusader wrote:
moshe25 wrote:
Crusader wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Unless there is dissent within the club (I don't believe there is, now Bolton is gone), I doubt SOS will leave. Particularly given his friendship with MlG.

His list management is starting to look very, very good. And now we're looking like Brisbane last year... ready to catch the comp blindsided... he will be able to bring in some very good players for next year. Why would he want to go right when he can put the finishing strokes on his painting?

The list has got more holes than a crumpet and he's got no room in the cap to pay the emerging talent.

He's done ok, but not 'General Manager's salary in a luxury tax environment' ok.

Can you justify the statement in bold?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Crumpets have a lot of holes in them. Although, I suppose you could say that since they don’t go all the way through, they’d be more properly categorised as divots.

Footy wise, we’re:
Too light in the middle without Cripps.
Fisher, Gibbons, Lang & Deluca aren’t the answer for that forward role.
An untenable ruck solution.
Simpson & Thomas on borrowed time. Docherty unlikely. Plowman & Newman ok, but limited to the easy kicks.

There’s nobody knocking on the door to take these spots. The injured brigade are in other positions.

Just my opinion, obviously.

It’s no revelation that we need another mid, ruck and small forward all in the right age bracket. It was the case at the start of the year and even as we’ve started winning it hasn’t changed.

We have assets to get two out of three of those easily via our first picks this year and next. We also probably have an asset playing that could be traded. Then there is FA.

Go back and look at the list at the end of 2015. That’s all hole, no donut.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
doofdoof wrote:
Crusader wrote:
robertbb wrote:

where did you get the no room in the cap info from?

been told we've not paid at 100% of the cap for a while and have built a war chest for future recruits..

$700k sunk into fat camp.
Need to reserve $1m+ for Cripps in 2021.
Our age profile is sort of like a debt bubble. All of the emerging talent will be worthy of 1.5-2x the average wage at the same time.

Really? Unless the emerging talent turn out to be a Fyfe or Dangerfield we don’t pay the absolute top dollar. We manage according to consistent performances.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

toddkurnski wrote:
Haha.

So the problem is we are at 95% of the salary cap and have drafted too well are now have players whose wages will have to be managed going forward.

Not ‘going forward’. Now & all at once.

We’ve only got Cripps to show for 2011-2014 intakes. These are the players with 100-150 games on the clock. They’re ready to win now, not “with time”.

All previous attempts to fill that hole have had a lifespan of 12 months, so we now have to face the reality that it will cost more than the market rate for each player we try to target. The McGovern deal has set the bar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:05 am 
Robert Walls

Richmond and Geelong have had no tissue getting all the pieces in under the salary cap. Hawks in their prime no issue. What sells it is success. We are going in the right direction for that too.

You have to pay 95% cap stupidly so if anything is currently front loaded to reach that point it’s even more positive in the coming years.

Plenty of flexibility in the cap with the 105% rule as well from what I deduce, get buy in for the players to remain at market or slightly less than market rates for success and it won’t be an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:17 am 
John James

Crusader wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:
Haha.

Not ‘going forward’. Now & all at once.

We’ve only got Cripps to show for 2011-2014 intakes. These are the players with 100-150 games on the clock. They’re ready to win now, not “with time”.

All previous attempts to fill that hole have had a lifespan of 12 months, so we now have to face the reality that it will cost more than the market rate for each player we try to target. The McGovern deal has set the bar.

So what's your solution misery guts, to stay shit?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:11 am 
Craig Bradley

:screwy: Probably less windy wearing earmuffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:51 am 
Craig Bradley

in my view it is even more important that he stays from now on - list build has been good given it was stripped back so severely and should be encouraged to continue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

frank dardew wrote:
in my view it is even more important that he stays from now on - list build has been good given it was stripped back so severely and should be encouraged to continue

OK Frank,no one has answered my question...............does the club want SOS out,or,does SOS want out of the club ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

OK Frank,no one has answered my question...............does the club want SOS out,or,does SOS want out of the club ?

Have you considered you might be jumping at shadows Mick?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:52 am 
Bob Chitty

GWS wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

Why uproot the whole family to go to the other side of the country?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:36 am 
Geoff Southby

He can stay, just have no say about anyone drafted after pick 30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

GWS wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

Nuh.........just askin' a question...............still like an answer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:48 pm 
Rod McGregor

My theory is that SOS being SOS, meaning the ultimate professional, is the following scenario.

Knowing he has built up the core of the team for the next flag he is going to get out before his kids are likely to be considered for cutting off the list.

Nothing more complex than that.

Pretty simple.

He does not want to be seen as having any part in the important decisions regarding list management when his boys are on the chopping block. Which is sensible, because it would not be good for the club.

We will end up getting every Silvagni cheap so recruitment is not the issue, it is cutting them from the list which will be the hard part and SOS should not have any say in it, and he knows it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

When are they going to be on the chopping block out of interest?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:23 pm 
Rod McGregor

dane wrote:

Jack any year from now on, Ben any time after next year, just for starters. But you already knew that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The Yes Man wrote:
dane wrote:

Jack any year from now on, Ben any time after next year, just for starters. But you already knew that.

You sound like The No Man.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

Very harsh, can't see JSoS delisted anytime soon. He is getting better and better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next