Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:44 pm 
Robert Walls

keogh wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:
keogh wrote:
Weitering was geat all day
Gibbons is a good footballer
Smart player
Curnow both very good

Still some ordinary players
Cripps can’t play like that every week

They need to back it up

A 1-10 team
Just sacked the coach
Down 40-3 against a team about to jump into the top 4

Sometimes it’s fun, even to say to yourself, that was fun. Otherwise what’s the point?

(And there nothing incorrect about what you said, but it’s fun to enjoy winning just a little and show it)

I love it when you have people say how you should feel
Mate do you want sustained success
Cripps’ game was off the charts
It means jack shit in the long run

No worries. Feel any way you want.

Go blues.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:46 pm 
Robert Walls

AIRCAV wrote:
BigKev wrote:
AIRCAV wrote:
I do hope Mitch was given a hearty “@#$%&! you”...

Why? We ditched him, not the other way 'round.

One of the criticisms of Bolton that I thought was valid was his match day coaching. In particular a seeming reluctance to move a tag to a dominant player.

Well done to today's coaching staff for moving Curnow to Neale. I thought that probably made the difference.

BigKev, nothing to do with us being his ex club, more him being a total tool. Watch the “suck my dick” bake he gives Levi when McStay kicks the first in the 3rd quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I didn’t imagine him doing that? What an idiot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:58 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
tommi wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Umpires can go root themselves

Although....

how good was it having a GREEK in the team
again...!

kindest regards tommi

Might be some old Pea Soup, in the umpires room.

:wink:

I'm guessing that you mean Lentil soup Agro?... But anyway, I get the gist.

Great effort and good to see some game day coaching for a change....
Half way into the second we were full man on man. Turnovers suddenly didn't cost us and you could just feel the confidence rising....
Then the turnovers stopped....best thing about today... No dropped heads, or panic when we were 37 down..
Neale tag and Zorko 'soft tag' killed their drive...
Cripps... well, superhuman...

Probably Cunningham was slightly down (he did run with both Zorko and Neale at various times)

The other outstanding thing was, 15 minutes into the last we were 15 points up, but playing like WE WOULD NOT lose.
Can't believe the dodgy free for the Lions at that stage... Thankfully made no difference.

AND while on that... First quarter, our free on the boundary line and Newman (I think) is being held up by the ump, who has turned around watching the players stream back... Newman can't play on quickly until the Lions are back and set up?? WTF was that all about... I'd love a please explain on that one...

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:11 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Critical game today. Took my 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter and the boy has been wavering. Kept saying in the last quarter we're going to lose. He was really into the game and I think the win has won him over.
I don't think my daughter watched a single kick.
Now we can enjoy the rest of the long weekend.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:24 am 
Geoff Southby

Said previously the turning point was when Zorko went off injured, was strapped up and came back on and played the rest of the game in the forward pocket. Effectively useless. BOG up until then with Neale.

Cripps still a genius. :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:52 am 
Bob Chitty

Onya Bondi!
Am so happy the way we grew throughout the game.
So happy. It's been tough.
Go Blues.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:02 am 
Harry Vallence

Dodo27 wrote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves as we always do... I thought we were terrible today.....School kids who can't even hit a target within 20m....

How many times did we turn it over? It just shows the poor skills our boys posses. Cripps who is on a different level than the entire team won this game off his own boots. If we don't learn from today's new game style, the doggies will beat us by 10 goals...

One of the things that put a smile on me is a New Game Style... Finally..........I truly believe it won us the Game! We need to carry today's 2nd half into the rest of the season

This Game style proved to me that Bolts was a failure as a Coach... He was naive and lacked experience....Teague made one big change to the game Style. He made it compulsory for at least one big forward to remain deep inside 50, no matter what happens during the game. This meant that when we had hold of the ball, we can kick it to a target... we no longer had to dance around the middle then turn it over because we had no one to kick it to.

How many times in Bolt's time we see the ball kicked to a small because all the talls were outside of the 50? This will never happen again and should not happen.

yes, the skills in the first qtr were poor, but i thought it was down to nerves and desperation

hopefully the win put a smile on your face as well, not just the game style

not the greatest win ever, but a win is a win is a win

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:12 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:
keogh wrote:
Weitering was geat all day
Gibbons is a good footballer
Smart player
Curnow both very good

Still some ordinary players
Cripps can’t play like that every week

They need to back it up

A 1-10 team
Just sacked the coach
Down 40-3 against a team about to jump into the top 4

Sometimes it’s fun, even to say to yourself, that was fun. Otherwise what’s the point?

(And there nothing incorrect about what you said, but it’s fun to enjoy winning just a little and show it)

I love it when you have people say how you should feel
Mate do you want sustained success
Cripps’ game was off the charts
It means jack shit in the long run

Hey Keogh

Lighten up, enjoy the celebrations tonight.

There's always tomorrow to return to whinging.

:wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Pros:
Great game.
Teague looked so calm in the box. Ed To Neale worked well in our favour.
They took a little while to work out what they were doing but once they had it, it was almost a ritual slaughter.
Cripps was everywhere and that was a good a captain's game as you will see.
Walsh was sublime. His capacity to rack up possessions is matched by his use of the ball once he has it.
Ed is easily in our best 22 and did a right number on Neale while racking up possessions himself.
Special mentions to Weitering, Casboult and Marchbank for their aerial work, Kreuzer for a purple patch of ruck work in the third and to Jack for his 1%ers and approach to the contest.
Best game from Dow for a long time he will be a gun.
LOB was very effective with ball in hand and isn't frightened to go when it's his turn.
Gibbons will play a lot of footy for us if they keep him in the midfield.
Charlie and Harry will eventually work out how to play tall forward in tandem.

The others were all pretty solid contributors.

Cons: Not many.
Didn't kick 100 points.
Fisher is a terrier but finds himself too often on the wrong side of contests for a one-sided player. He might have been able to get away with it in the U18s but he won't here. Outside he can recover but inside he gets caught too much and has the chaos disposal.
Setterfield's goal kicking is diabolical, so is Harry's from medium range.
SPS had a nice cameo patch towards the end but his overall disposal is sloppy. He must hit targets when he is not under pressure. It should come if Teague allows them all the freedom they had today.

Well done to the boys. To be truthful, I didn't think they could win and tipped against them.

Not serious about the 100 points.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Said previously the turning point was when Zorko went off injured, was strapped up and came back on and played the rest of the game in the forward pocket. Effectively useless. BOG up until then with Neale.

Zorko who had 9 possessions until half time and 2 clearances for the game? :?

The difference was the midfield and Zorko had little influence in there. Once Lachie Neale was shut down that was the difference. 25 possessions to half time and then he wins the first centre clearance of the third and puts it down McStays throat for a goal. After that he had 5 possessions for the game and zero influence. That was the ball game.
From that point we won 12 of the next 13 clearances including 5 centre clearances to zero.
That translated to 16 of the next 18 Inside 50's.

As much as Teague will get the credit, it was actually Ed who called the change onto Neale. Paddy Dow started on Neale in the 3rd and after he ran too easily off Paddy and set up their goal in the first 10 seconds of the third quarter. Ed Curnow told Paddy to take his opponent and Ed went to Neale with the tight tag. From that point it was a master class from Ed.
Neale couldn't handle to pressure and spent too much energy trying to get physical instead of winning the ball.

Personally, I thought it was a good result for the players, supporters and the club in general.
The supporters at the game were loving it!

I thought we overpossessed the footy too much early and refused to go long into forward 50 which frustrated the hell out of me.
Especially Cripps and Fish who have this little waxing thing going between them that doesn't always benefit the team.
The reality is we were winning 56% of our offensive one on ones (compared to the Lions 33%) so we needed to take advantage of that.
Once we started putting long balls inside forward 50 before players had the opportunity to drop back, we started taking marks in good scoring positions.

I thought our taller defenders were huge today. Levi, Weiters, Marchbank and Plowman were fantastic.
Simmo and Daisy were good but their constant calling for the ball when they're not in an advantaged position drives me nuts.
Newman was so-so again.

Walsh was huge. His run from contest to contest is amazing. It was also good to see him start in the middle.
We still need to work on the positioning of our tall forwards but they're getting there. Harry has enormous ability but his forward craft is too often lacking. His positioning ahead of the contest is too often lazy or dumb. He consistently allows his opponent the space on the contest side of the ground and a player like Andrews will nullify his influence most times.

All up, a good day to be a Blue. I'm even happy to watch the football shows and read the paper again. :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:04 am 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Blue Vain wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

The difference was the midfield and Zorko had little influence in there. Once Lachie Neale was shut down that was the difference. 25 possessions to half time and then he wins the first centre clearance of the third and puts it down McStays throat for a goal. After that he had 5 possessions for the game and zero influence. That was the ball game.
From that point we won 12 of the next 13 clearances including 5 centre clearances to zero.

As much as Teague will get the credit, it was actually Ed who called the change onto Neale. Paddy Dow started on Neale in the 3rd and after he ran too easily off Paddy and set up their goal in the first 10 seconds of the third quarter. Ed Curnow told Paddy to take his opponent and Ed went to Neale with the tight tag. From that point it was a master class from Ed.
Neale couldn't handle to pressure and spent too much energy trying to get physical instead of winning the ball.

Personally, I thought it was a good result for the players, supporters and the club in general.

I thought we overpossessed the footy too much early and refused to go long into forward 50 which frustrated the hell out of me.
Especially Cripps and Fish who have this little waxing thing going between them that doesn't always benefit the team.
The reality is we were winning 56% of our offensive one on ones (compared to the Lions 33%) so we needed to take advantage of that.
Once we started putting long balls inside forward 50 before players had the opportunity to drop back, we started taking marks in good scoring positions.

I thought our taller defenders were huge today. Levi, Weiters, Marchbank and Plowman were fantastic.
Simmo and Daisy were good but their constant calling for the ball when they're not in an advantaged position drives me nuts.
Newman was so-so again.

Walsh was huge. His run from contest to contest is amazing. It was also good to see him start in the middle.
We still need to work on the positioning of our tall forwards but they're getting there. Harry has enormous ability but his forward craft is too often lacking. His positioning ahead of the contest is too often lazy or dumb. He consistently allows his opponent the space on the contest side of the ground and a player like Andrews will nullify his influence most times.

All up, a good day to be a Blue. I'm even happy to watch the football shows and read the paper again. :grin:

Superb analysis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:29 am 
Bruce Doull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83aVgH5MQPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIhK9kvko9U

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:31 am 
Stephen Kernahan

BV for the win again.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:55 am 
Rod Ashman

i don't understand why some supporters try and pick negatives after an extremely positive result. just enjoy the win for gods sake and try and see the light.
yes, we butchered plenty of the ball early but importantly heads never dropped, the boys persisted and we came back from 37 points down.
just think about that...we managed to come back from 37 points down against an opponent who was more fancied & realistically playing for a top 4 spot
we came back from 37 points down even though we'd won 4 games in 40+. i think all this tells you the players have plenty of mental strength
i think this sort of win can build belief long term. see positive...not that hard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:59 am 
Ken Hands

Well said doof , just enjoy the bloody win .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 am 
Wayne Johnston

bosman wrote:
This is gold by Kade..... Summed up Mathieson perfectly...

https://twitter.com/afl/status/1137234343280033792

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:15 am 
Harry Vallence

sinbagger wrote:
bosman wrote:
This is gold by Kade..... Summed up Mathieson perfectly...

https://twitter.com/afl/status/1137234343280033792

Loved the "quack quack" talky talky finish the Gov laid on Robertson after that goal in the 3rd too :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:17 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

Newman was so-so again.

Good review BV.
Noticed Teague rotated players in the 3rd Qtr to sit in the goal square: Charlie, JSOS and Mitch (?) had their turns. I’m assuming this was a ploy to mix things up??
Also thought Andrews beat Harry in the marking duels most of the time with the exception being when Harry got him on the lead and used his pace to advantage to beat Andrews.
I’m critical of Plowman but he did well on the dangerous Cameron.
Happy we avoided the 1-2 goals to opposing ruckman scenario.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:24 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
I'm even happy to watch the football shows and read the paper again. :grin:

This....i love being able to engage in the media again :smile:

BV honestly, I value your posts so much, I think they're worthy of a cuppa.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheBluesMuse wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I'm even happy to watch the football shows and read the paper again. :grin:

This....i love being able to engage in the media again :smile:

BV honestly, I value your posts so much, I think they're worthy of a cuppa.

me too. :thumbsup:

( except sometimes :wink: :razz: )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next