Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Should MLG step down and all board positions spilled before the AGM ?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 29 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 68
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:22 am 
Bruce Doull

Blue Vain wrote:
adelaideblue wrote:
It takes courage to effect a change.

It takes none to sit back taking potshots without stepping up yourself or providing an alternative.

From my perspective, the club showed enormous courage to embark on a full list rebuild knowing full well it would hurt the bottom line significantly.
They've stuck to the task when there was a lot of pressure to take shortcuts. MLG is a poor media performer but IMO, he's led the best performing board we've had for 20 years. They've put some exception people in some roles including Russell and Liddle.
The club is performing very well off field and they've bought some exceptional young talent into the club and put games into them.
The futures looking bright.

Seriously, WTF are you going to do if they all step down? What do you offer to the members as a replacement?
If not you, who will step up and do better?

Stuff like this really pisses me off. Too many people jump on the bandwagon and want their 5 minutes of fame while the incumbents have been offering their time and money for little reward for years.
What a farce.

I currently sit on a board of an elite level sporting club. (who funnily enough is performing well off field but not so much on it)

It is the most dysfunctional environment i have ever worked in.

Everyone has self interest, everyone thinks they know best, rarely a decision is made easily, the round and round communication and 'discussion' is never ending.

I give Kudos to the current board for our current off field position, it's not easy work.

I'd love to see some alternatives, ideas or presentations from people here who want change and think they can do better.

I sure as hell wouldn't go near it.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:41 am 
Harry Vallence

grrofunger wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
adelaideblue wrote:
It takes courage to effect a change.

It takes none to sit back taking potshots without stepping up yourself or providing an alternative.

From my perspective, the club showed enormous courage to embark on a full list rebuild knowing full well it would hurt the bottom line significantly.
They've stuck to the task when there was a lot of pressure to take shortcuts. MLG is a poor media performer but IMO, he's led the best performing board we've had for 20 years. They've put some exception people in some roles including Russell and Liddle.
The club is performing very well off field and they've bought some exceptional young talent into the club and put games into them.
The futures looking bright.

Seriously, WTF are you going to do if they all step down? What do you offer to the members as a replacement?
If not you, who will step up and do better?

Stuff like this really pisses me off. Too many people jump on the bandwagon and want their 5 minutes of fame while the incumbents have been offering their time and money for little reward for years.
What a farce.

I currently sit on a board of an elite level sporting club. (who funnily enough is performing well off field but not so much on it)

It is the most dysfunctional environment i have ever worked in.

Everyone has self interest, everyone thinks they know best, rarely a decision is made easily, the round and round communication and 'discussion' is never ending.

I give Kudos to the current board for our current off field position, it's not easy work.

I'd love to see some alternatives, ideas or presentations from people here who want change and think they can do better.

I sure as hell wouldn't go near it.

Hi Jeannie.. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:58 am 
Geoff Southby

In relation to on field our poorest efforts have been in list management
Everyone knows what I think of SOSs efforts particularly in the last 2 drafts

From all reports MLG a mate of SOS gave him the job
No other people were looked at
Mateship is a recipe for disaster in these situations
The Essendon* drug saga had its beginnings when Evans handed his mate Hird
the job of head coach
Hird gets Robinson
Robinson gets Dank
In our situation Silvagni gets Brodie who shouldn’t be involved
in any club after being banned for gambling on the footy

Obviously the Bombers situation is far more serious
but its the same scenario
Obviously posters disagree with my view of SOSs performance
The next 15 months will tell whether it was Bolton’s performance
that has caused such ordinary on field efforts

The bottom line for me is that a footy board needs to know what a good footballer is
Most of our board don’t
There is also the issue of being out dated
The one thing constant in life is change
Dare I say a few reached their use by date a long
time ago

To me a possible solution is to have 2 boards
Let MLG and his mates run the financial side of the club

Let Judd and another group of football people in the present to run
the football side of things

When I here MLG talk about football matters he has no idea
Neither has Jeanne or Mathieson
You need football people in charge of everything to do with the footy
side of things including all appointments

The job of List Manager is far more important than the job
of Head Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:04 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
In relation to on field our poorest efforts have been in list management
Everyone knows what I think of SOSs efforts particularly in the last 2 drafts

From all reports MLG a mate of SOS gave him the job
No other people were looked at
Mateship is a recipe for disaster in these situations
The Essendon** drug saga had its beginnings when Evans handed his mate Hird
the job of head coach
Hird gets Robinson
Robinson gets Dank
In our situation Silvagni gets Brodie who shouldn’t be involved
in any club after being banned for gambling on the footy

Obviously the Bombers situation is far more serious
but its the same scenario
Obviously posters disagree with my view of SOSs performance
The next 15 months will tell whether it was Bolton’s performance
that has caused such ordinary on field efforts

The bottom line for me is that a footy board needs to know what a good footballer is
Most of our board don’t
There is also the issue of being out dated
The one thing constant in life is change
Dare I say a few reached their use by date a long
time ago

To me a possible solution is to have 2 boards
Let MLG and his mates run the financial side of the club

Let Judd and another group of football people in the present to run
the football side of things

When I here MLG talk about football matters he has no idea
Neither has Jeanne or Mathieson
You need football people in charge of everything to do with the footy
side of things including all appointments

The job of List Manager is far more important than the job
of Head Coach

MLG approached Wright from hawthorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

choo wrote:
MLG approached Wright from hawthorn

Yeah - but then he saw the 'wrighting' on the wall...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 am 
Serge Silvagni

They Say Pokies Destroy Lives.....Well they surely have destroyed our Club......

let me say it loud & Clear, this club will never recover until the day pokies king Bruce Mathieson is removed. This man is making millions for himself at the expense of this club, and no one can stand in his way or say anything. Anyone who dares to question him will be met with some unwanted attention ( I won't say who ).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:43 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Dodo27 wrote:
They Say Pokies Destroy Lives.....Well they surely have destroyed our Club......

let me say it loud & Clear, this club will never recover until the day pokies king Bruce Mathieson is removed. This man is making millions for himself at the expense of this club, and no one can stand in his way or say anything. Anyone who dares to question him will be met with some unwanted attention ( I won't say who ).

Removed from where? Mermaid Beach? At this point in time he's making millions FOR the club - I don't agree with it, but it's pretty much an $18million donation derived from 4 licensed venues that house 290 gaming machines. The club has a pokies licence until 2042. That licence can be sold at any time. The club has told the AFL it would like to move away from pokies, but does not yet have a viable alternative to replace that revenue. That is an ongoing discussion at board level.

The AFL should be offering incentives for AFL clubs to exit the pokies industry and I've a feeling they soon will. I would suggest that the club is not yet in the financial position to pull the plug on the pokies just yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:55 am 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin III wrote:
Dodo27 wrote:

Removed from where? Mermaid Beach? At this point in time he's making millions FOR the club - I don't agree with it, but it's pretty much an $18million donation derived from 4 licensed venues that house 290 gaming machines. The club has a pokies licence until 2042. That licence can be sold at any time. The club has told the AFL it would like to move away from pokies, but does not yet have a viable alternative to replace that revenue. That is an ongoing discussion at board level.

The AFL should be offering incentives for AFL clubs to exit the pokies industry and I've a feeling they soon will. I would suggest that the club is not yet in the financial position to pull the plug on the pokies just yet.

Cash in on the hipster retro arcade game machine/bar phenomenon?
Carlton/Ciccone national franchise collaboration?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Scotty12000 wrote:

No. Bring OzzFest to Princes Park. :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 am 
Serge Silvagni

Get rid of the Pokies and turn it into the head quarters of the Talking Carlton Forum :grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:33 am 
Bruce Doull

I'm happy to defer to others who have a better idea about the board than I do, but two things:

1. We're way better off now than when Kernahan was pres.

2. In relation to Bolton: I'd really like think the board considered other options than just SAKCTHECOACHLOL but I'm not sure they would have. I would have felt better if they said something along the lines of, the Essendon* game was [REDACTED], everyone at the club is filthy with the performance and something has to change to reset our course. As such we'll undertake a rigorous review and will report our findings and start to implement the changes immediately after the bye weekend.

Maybe the outcome wouldn't have changed, but at least the club would have had time to look inwards a bit longer. Although, who knows, maybe there's more going on behind the scenes than we'll ever know???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 am 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin III wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:

No. Bring OzzFest to Princes Park. :twisted: :wink:

Now we're talking!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:40 am 
Stephen Silvagni

camelboy wrote:
I'm happy to defer to others who have a better idea about the board than I do, but two things:

2. In relation to Bolton: I'd really like think the board considered other options than just SAKCTHECOACHLOL but I'm not sure they would have. I would have felt better if they said something along the lines of, the Essendon** game was [REDACTED], everyone at the club is filthy with the performance and something has to change to reset our course. As such we'll undertake a rigorous review and will report our findings and start to implement the changes immediately after the bye weekend.

Maybe the outcome wouldn't have changed, but at least the club would have had time to look inwards a bit longer. Although, who knows, maybe there's more going on behind the scenes than we'll ever know???

To me it's the age-old classic reaction to a) worried membership manager b) a few uncomfortable and agitating senior players.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
camelboy wrote:

2. In relation to Bolton: I'd really like think the board considered other options than just SAKCTHECOACHLOL but I'm not sure they would have. I would have felt better if they said something along the lines of, the Essendon*** game was [REDACTED], everyone at the club is filthy with the performance and something has to change to reset our course. As such we'll undertake a rigorous review and will report our findings and start to implement the changes immediately after the bye weekend.

To me it's the age-old classic reaction to a) worried membership manager b) a few uncomfortable and agitating senior players.

IMHO, that's way off the mark.
I've been a solid supporter of Bolton but the timing of his dismissal was perfect IMHO. To the hour. The loss on the weekend had a smell about it that had to be short circuited ASAP.
Once the players doubt the message, the coach is finished. That was apparent on the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Rexy wrote:
camelboy wrote:

2. In relation to Bolton: I'd really like think the board considered other options than just SAKCTHECOACHLOL but I'm not sure they would have. I would have felt better if they said something along the lines of, the Essendon**** game was [REDACTED], everyone at the club is filthy with the performance and something has to change to reset our course. As such we'll undertake a rigorous review and will report our findings and start to implement the changes immediately after the bye weekend.

IMHO, that's way off the mark.
I've been a solid supporter of Bolton but the timing of his dismissal was perfect IMHO. To the hour. The loss on the weekend had a smell about it that had to be short circuited ASAP.
Once the players doubt the message, the coach is finished. That was apparent on the weekend.

Agree.
I think the GWS and St Kilda losses also had a "smell" about them as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

Why is this on the main board? The same thread is in Talking Politics (where it belongs, IMO).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I think it's a bit rich for anyone to say the Board needs to go just because they were associated with the Bolton appointment and sacking. It's throwing the baby out with the bath water.

That coaching appointment was never going to be an easy one to get right. Unprecedented player turnover on top of a very ordinary list at the beginning. It was always going to be challenging to get the chemistry right. Bolton may well have been the perfect man to deal with that in years 1 & 2, and in hindsight, not ideal for the next stage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

aboynamedsue wrote:
Why is this on the main board? The same thread is in Talking Politics (where it belongs, IMO).

It's on the main board because it's a main topic of discussion this week.

It'll die a natural death soon enough I think...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
I think it's a bit rich for anyone to say the Board needs to go just because they were associated with the Bolton appointment and sacking. It's throwing the baby out with the bath water.

That coaching appointment was never going to be an easy one to get right. Unprecedented player turnover on top of a very ordinary list at the beginning. It was always going to be challenging to get the chemistry right. Bolton may well have been the perfect man to deal with that in years 1 & 2, and in hindsight, not ideal for the next stage.

There too impatient
When our president was asked why he was sacked he said not enough wins
Too simplistic an answer
Dow doesn’t play like a pick 3
O’Brien soft
Kennedy useless
DeKoning might be ok
SOs had an ordinary 2017 draft
Well we gave up most of our picks for “elite mature talent”

Fasolo shit
Money bags McGovern one trick pony doesn’t do enough
Setterfield yes he is vanilla

The list is crap
Yeah I’m repetitive
But face it
When Lochie O’Brien gets a game when he has hardly
Touched it at VFL level you know your in trouble

After 66 games the rebuild was going to see us move up the ladder
The board know about finances but are clueless about building a footy team
from almost scratch in the AFL environment

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Keogh - why no criticism of the moneybags mercenary Chris Judd? If anyone is out of their depth - it's this bloke.

As for MLG's simplistic response - read the constitution...

2.1.The Club exists for the benefit of its supporters and the community.It seeks to serve this purpose by undertaking the following:(a)In playing the game of AFL football, to provide its supporters with enjoyment, engagement, fulfilment and hope of success;