Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 82  Next

Who should be Carlton's next coach?
Teague 48%  48%  [ 125 ]
B Scott 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Clarkson 13%  13%  [ 34 ]
Ratten 13%  13%  [ 33 ]
Voss 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Malthouse 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Walls 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Caracella 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Longmuir 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Barker 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Leppitsch 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Mitchell 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Bassett 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Burns 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Roos 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 262
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:11 am 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:
I think we can agree who we don't want and I actually believe the club would be aware of the "mood" of the supporter base, particularly when it comes to someone like Lyon.

Yeah I'm being wishful

If Clarkson is out of the question it's Ratts, Teague....... Daylight Voss.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

That's probably the order I would've put too, unless Teague pulls some crazy wins in the last few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:01 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Happy for Ratts to interview, but I think it'll be too hard. That said, I'd seek the input of Kade Simpson and Marc Murphy. There are known unknowns there. I'm hoping they chat to Guy McKenna as well...not for a senior gig, but for a Director of Coaching & Performance role.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

DocSherrin III wrote:
Happy for Ratts to interview, but I think it'll be too hard. That said, I'd seek the input of Kade Simpson and Marc Murphy. There are known unknowns there. I'm hoping they chat to Guy McKenna as well...not for a senior gig, but for a Director of Coaching & Performance role.
Can we let guy win something at my local club first?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:12 pm 
formerly BlueRob

I can't see any argument for appointing a Voss over a Ratten.

Watch us stuff this up and appoint a Brad Scott or a Ross Lyon (who would be a very bad fit for Carlton).

For once ... please make the right decision.

Either BRETT RATTEN or DAVID TEAGUE.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BigBlueWave wrote:
I can't see any argument for appointing a Voss over a Ratten...

Ok...please enlighten me. Make an argument for Ratts over Voss. You have an opinion, but what's it based on?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 pm 
formerly BlueRob

DocSherrin III wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
I can't see any argument for appointing a Voss over a Ratten...

Ok...please enlighten me. Make an argument for Ratts over Voss. You have an opinion, but what's it based on?

OK ... To start with:

Career coaching record.

Ratten: 121 matches, 50.4% Win. (started right at the end of 2007 ... we finished second last that year)

Voss: 109 matches, 39.4% Win (started 2009 after Brisbane finished 10th)

When Ratten took over, Carlton were at rock bottom (we had a really crap list) and had gone through the miserable Pagan era where we had won multiple wood spoons. When Voss took over Brisbane they were 10th. Since then Ratten has served mainly under Clarkson which for me is a big tick. He was very well respected at Hawthorn as he is now at St Kilda. Voss has been assistant to Hinkley.

Shall I go on?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jeez, it's gonna be hard to overlook Teague at this point. players love him, has shown he's capable, good gameday manager and he's getting results.

our list was always better than the results bolton manufactured ... next year imo we'll go top 6 if we get this next appointment right.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BigBlueWave wrote:
Shall I go on?

No...all good. Thanks. I don't want Ratts because last time around he struggled mightily to get the relationships right. He played favourites and caused division. He was ultra defensive toward staff. He didn't delegate and didn't get the balance right. So he has probably improved in these areas...but I'd prefer that be done at St.Kilda.

That's why my vote is still other...but a leaning toward a Clarkson or failing that a Teague with someone to alleviate the pressure and provide a sane voice when everything seems insane.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

Malthouse ready for the call .. apparently

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'm free... Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:13 pm 
formerly BlueRob

DocSherrin III wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
Shall I go on?

No...all good. Thanks. I don't want Ratts because last time around he struggled mightily to get the relationships right. He played favourites and caused division. He was ultra defensive toward staff. He didn't delegate and didn't get the balance right. So he has probably improved in these areas...but I'd prefer that be done at St.Kilda.

That's why my vote is still other...but a leaning toward a Clarkson or failing that a Teague with someone to alleviate the pressure and provide a sane voice when everything seems insane.

Fair enough!

I would be very happy with Clarkson, Teague or Ratten.

What I don't want is Scott, Lyon or Voss.

But ... I have a bad feeling we are gunna stuff this up again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GMCbris wrote:
Malthouse ready for the call .. apparently

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

DocSherrin III wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
Shall I go on?

No...all good. Thanks. I don't want Ratts because last time around he struggled mightily to get the relationships right. He played favourites and caused division. He was ultra defensive toward staff. He didn't delegate and didn't get the balance right.

Awfully hard to soar like an eagle when surrounded by turkeys.

Nigh on impossible when the decision makers appoint an overly ambitious type to a role that’s designed to fashion said turkeys into something useful and be a conduit to the chief strategist & as a result, it turns into a wedge. Right role, wrong person.

‘Director of’, ‘Head of’, ‘GM of’, whatever label it has, is a role that needs the ultimate team player to succeed. Because, despite the label, it ain’t the top job.

Fagan spent plenty of time in the role at Hawthorn. A few premiership coaches would’ve learned more about how to manage managers from him than they would’ve from Clarkson. Ask yourself ‘why Brisbane?’ Take a look at the types he has surrounded himself with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
Shall I go on?

No...all good. Thanks. I don't want Ratts because last time around he struggled mightily to get the relationships right. He played favourites and caused division. He was ultra defensive toward staff. He didn't delegate and didn't get the balance right.

Awfully hard to soar like an eagle when surrounded by turkeys.

Nigh on impossible when the decision makers appoint an overly ambitious type to a role that’s designed to fashion said turkeys into something useful and be a conduit to the chief strategist & as a result, it turns into a wedge. Right role, wrong person.

‘Director of’, ‘Head of’, ‘GM of’, whatever label it has, is a role that needs the ultimate team player to succeed. Because, despite the label, it ain’t the top job.

Fagan spent plenty of time in the role at Hawthorn. A few premiership coaches would’ve learned more about how to manage managers from him than they would’ve from Clarkson. Ask yourself ‘why Brisbane?’ Take a look at the types he has surrounded himself with.

I don’t get the highlighted bit. Who is the ‘overly ambitious’ person you are referring to? Icke? Or Ratten? Richardson? Sorry, I’m not being a smart arse - I’m genuinely trying to understand. :confused:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

Richardson.

The job he had at Carlton wasn’t the job he wanted. As it was at Essendon*, who were going with Hird after the internal promotion of Knights didn’t work out. Same deal at Port, who he left hanging.

Bloke was/is a driven individual. No beef with that. If kept in check, it’s an attractive character trait.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
Richardson.

The job he had at Carlton wasn’t the job he wanted. As it was at Essendon**, who were going with Hird after the internal promotion of Knights didn’t work out. Same deal at Port, who he left hanging.

Bloke was/is a driven individual. No beef with that. If kept in check, it’s an attractive character trait.

OK, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

bender wrote:
bmaurizio wrote:
Menzel_Mayhem wrote:
Teague again impressed me with how he spoke to the team re. Deluca’s Debut. He seems like a non-authoritarian leader, essentially a true leader, rather than a micro manager. Plus his CV is fantastic.

Yup spoke well re De Luca’s opportunity , David has an interesting personality unobtrusive slightly laconic but seems to interact well with players has their respect.
This opportunity to be interim coach has been a true revelation.
I liked his approach so far, will be interesting to see tactical skills and team’s dedication, determination to win when we meet the difficult squad of Crows, Eagles, Tigers and Cats.

if we win all four of those, they should knight him. but if we put in a good showing, and possibly pinch a game or two - adelaide and bitchmond are possible, then surely he should get the gig

eve 4 close losses should give hima good chance. four thumpings, however, and one would think he would get overlooked

i like him, and would be happy to have him coach over lyon, scott, voss and roos

I’m expecting at least 2 more wins, and decent showings in the other games.

That should be enough to get the job. More than that he’s almost a miracle worker, win 1 or less then a lot of the good work will be seen as a new coach bump.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

SPS_5 wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
That's Chris Judd's responsibility. Bit out of his depth I'm afraid...

He was a great player but there's just some elements of his character that don't sit well with me.

I remember during his playing days he always used to make a point about how footy is nothing and it won't be a part of his life once he finished, and yet here he is with multiple fingers in the pie.

Champion player and an on field legend but he's becoming like Kernahan mk.2 off field.

100% agree. Seems a bit smug and aloof, hardly the sort of person I’d want deciding who we go with as a new coach.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
It will be interesting to see where this discussion goes over the next 5 weeks
we have about as tough a run as you can get leading to the end of the year and could lose them all
will Teague still be the front runner if this happens .
for his sake I hope we win a few more because he appears to be doing everything right thus far

Barring crazy injuries if we lost all those games that would be a massive disappointment and would mean we have played much worse than we have last 6 weeks.

If we keep playing to a similar level, surely we win another 2.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 82  Next