Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Pros:
Walsh.

Cons:
Everything else.

I have finally worked out the game plan. It's taken me a while but even from Mexico on a computer monitor it has revealed itself.

1. Never have a marking forward playing deep to give the players who get a possession in the middle of the ground anything to kick to.
2. Push ALL the forwards into the defensive half and allow the opposition to maintain a line of three defenders along the 50 metre arc, knowing their direct opponents can't do any damage from the half back line. When the chaos kick comes in(and counts as a F50 entry) allow one of the three loose defenders to take an uncontested mark and transfer play to the fat side.
3. Under no circumstances play one on one, even when the zone is failing miserably.
4. Use the corridor as few times as possible during the game. Allow the opposition to run free through the centre while we defend the wings.
5. Kick long to a contest, preferably to a two on one after a mark or a free but first allow the opposition to set up their defence. The closer to the boundary the better as it allows us to kick OOBOTF.
6. Kick the ball just out of reach of the man leading for it. Handball just behind the body of a player so he has to stop and get it. Do NOT handball to a man in space, only to someone about to be tackled as soon as he takes possession.
7. Never man up in defence until the ball has been kicked into the F50 and they are about to take an uncontested mark between two of our defenders who are defending space and not an opposition player. After a behind, kick short to the boundary so as to set up the next kick (see point 5). If you can't do that, kick to a risky situation so the opposition \gets a shot at goal from 30 out. NEVER belt the footy long and outside the defensive fifty. if the opposition need two kicks to score after a point, it inflates the possession stats.
8. We have two or three tall marking forwards. To nake sure one of them gets the chance to mark it, they should fly against each other at every opportunity, preferably out on the wing or HBF. If the ball comes to ground, we will still have Fasolo or Gibbons or even Jack Silvagni in the lead up forward role.
9. NEVER play on after a free kick or a mark unless you are kicking or hand balling near a player who is surrounded by opposition players. (See point 6)
10. When you are having a shot for goal, try and put it through the two tallest sticks. If you can't that's OK. At least we got it inside 50 and that's an important stat.
11. Do NOT put your body in front of an opposition player running through the pack. Stick out your arm and hope that s enough.
12. Do your best to comply with the above. We are not going to be measured by wins and losses like the other teams.

If that isn't the actual game plan, why are they doing all the stuff I mentioned?

Liddell read this and reacted

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

kingkerna wrote:
Worst summary ever

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So your happy with Chubby Fasolo and Lang running the show for us? or Phillips/Lob being the future of our Ruck department?

Please join the Sugar-Coat team....and next time, please consult a professional before making any stupid comments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Dodo27 wrote:
I believe there are 3 Major Reasons why we are not winning games and not where we were hoping to be:

1- Too early for the young players to win Games: Our Young Players & the future of the club need 4-5 years in the system to start delivering consistency and winnable games. Those players include: Dow, Walsh, Cunningham, SPS, Fisher, O'Brien, Stocker, Curnow, McKay, Schumacher, Kerr & Polson.

2- Terrible Recruitment: We have recruited players who are not even worthy of a game VFL level, yet we have been forced to play them, hoping they can support the young ones whilst they develop. SOS has to take responsibility for the dismal and appalling recruiting of the following players:

** Alex Fosolo: What the hell were they thinking in recruiting a guy who is clearly past it? Collingwood dumped him to the VFL because they knew he was expired. He is injury prone and overweight, and looks way past it

** Darcy Lang: The Worst recruit ever. We got him based on One good game he played for Geelong. Nothing else.... Big body but does nothing with it. Terrible kicking and turnover king. Worst recruit ever

** Mathew Kennedy: We really were cheated with this Guy. No wonder GWS gave him away so easily. Same story as Lang. He is a regular injury prone player and when he is on the park, does nothing to support Cripps.

** J. Silvagni: I am sorry SOS but you need to get your sons away from our Club. They are useless as hell. Too slow, too predictable, no forward pressure and simply not up to AFL Standards

** Newman: Whilst he has been going OK in replacing the injured Doherty, we are now begging to see why Sydney were happy to let him go. He is a turnover King. Today, he killed us. Last week he killed us. Not good enough

** H.Macreadie: Injury prone, too skinny, too weak, and not even VFL Standards. What the hell were we thinking in recruiting him?

** Williamson: Rubbish....... Injury prone and is never going to make it........ We got cheated again

** Pickett: Was supposed to be the new Eddie Betts. No where near it.... Again, injury prone and has done nothing at the club so far....

** Lobe & Phillips: Average Ruckmen who will never be selected at any other AFL Club but Carlton. If Kreuzer goes down, We are shot to pieces.

** McGovern: I have said it from day one.... He is Rubbish....A Cameo player who will give you the mark of the year or give you one good game in a while, but he is not consistent, and Injuries will be his thing.

** Garlett: Rubbish pick.... Waste of time

** Add to that the aging of our senior players who can no longer be counted on to deliver: Murphy, Daisy, Simpson & Kreuzer.

3- The GWS Experiment: The Biggest Scam of SOS's venture at our Club. We all got cheated. We all got robbed. We all know by now that getting recycled players from GWS was not the answer. Players like Marchbank and Plowman are decent average footballers who will give it all, but they are not what we were looking for. We needed A Grade players to deliver weekly.

You must be a fun guy to be around....

Yes, very fun to be around indeed. I just don't Sugar Coat truth nor go with the Crowd for the sake of being Mr.Popular...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
He was going ok until he got to Williamson and Pickett. A player being 'injury prone' at AFL level is not necessarily the recruiters fault.

That's like saying Harley Bennell is a top 3 pick and an A Grade player, regardless of Whether he plays or not.....

Well, what is the point of being a good player if you can't get yourself on the park year after year?

Recruitment have a major role in it, because all recruiters today resort to all sort of Scientific methods and tests to try and determine if a Player is going to be any good, physically.

Williamson is a big issue... he is a liability at the moment because his body keeps breaking down. How long can we afford to keep him on our list?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:05 am 
Craig Bradley

Finally gathered up the courage to watch the game.

Pros:

Effort was pretty good.
Kreuzer, Casboult, Weitering and Harry were good.
Charlie's 3rd quarter. A bit of the old Charlie. Don't know where he's been most of the year.
Encouraging performances from Cuningham, Dow, Stocker and Setterfield. Setterfield looks like he's got a lot of improvement in him. Just keep pouring games into him.
Newman was pretty good, except for some horrible defensive lapses.

Cons:

Accuracy was the main difference, up until 3 quarter time.
Inability to make contests in our forward line. Either in the air or at ground level.
Not enough running players in the side. I know it's tough on SOJ, but I don't think we can afford to play him forward, unless we're on top in midfield. We're already way too slow down there.
Not enough impact from Cripps, SPS and Kennedy. Kennedy looks like he's playing timid at the moment. I want to see the aggression at the body I saw from him early last year.
Fasolo was useless. He doesn't get near it at VFL level. No great surprises he doesn't at AFL level.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:13 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Dodo27 wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
He was going ok until he got to Williamson and Pickett. A player being 'injury prone' at AFL level is not necessarily the recruiters fault.

That's like saying Harley Bennell is a top 3 pick and an A Grade player, regardless of Whether he plays or not.....

Well, what is the point of being a good player if you can't get yourself on the park year after year?

Recruitment have a major role in it, because all recruiters today resort to all sort of Scientific methods and tests to try and determine if a Player is going to be any good, physically.

Williamson is a big issue... he is a liability at the moment because his body keeps breaking down. How long can we afford to keep him on our list?

So if Williamson never had a back issue at u18 level.... and I don't know if he did or not.... and was physically sound until point X.... difficult to predict.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

Thought Ed was okay as well.
I liked the fact that Lang found the ball 4 times in goal scoring positions. That's the best effort we've had from a small forward for a while. He's usually a pretty good kick for goal.

What I don't understand is why SOJ is always the deepest forward. Surely that can't be our actual strategy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dodo27 wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

Williamson was a great physical specimen in the TAC, let alone his first year.

The back injury happened. If you knew it was going to happen Dodo, as a carltonian you should have warned SOS.

You're a bit harsh. Game plan disnt bring out the best in players. Players were confused, lacked confidence and kicked sideways.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6