Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:32 am 
Rod Ashman

bluechampion wrote:
By siren-time yesterday I was fully prepared to never go to the Footy again, but as I am in an abusive relationship with this club, I am now almost optimistic.

The Dons will be missing Daniher, Stringer, Smith, Fantasia and Shiel.

Thomas - Jones - Marchbank
Simpson - Weitering - Newman
Fisher - E. Curnow - Cunningham
Fasolo - McKay - Lang
Gibbons - Kerr - Silvagni
Kreuzer - Cripps - Kennedy

Stocker - C. Curnow - Walsh - Schumacher

IN: Schumacher, Lang, Fasolo, Kerr, Jones
OUT: Plowman, McGovern, SPS, Casboult, Dow

This is a bit harsh on Casboult, who has performed well as a back-man. Perhaps if Jones doesn't come up they could keep him in.
I'd also be very surprised to see Plowman dropped, as they clearly rate him.

so... ten goal loss?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:02 am 
Stephen Kernahan

We're desperate for some run off half back. Newman and Simpson are decent players but they're mark and kick players which is contributing to our slow ball movement. The fact Simmo too often calls for the ball when he's not in a position to play on compounds the problem. He and Murphy too often want the ball in their hands at the detriment of the team.
We need someone off half back who will run and attack on the transition and speed up our ball movement with a handball receive.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:15 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
We're desperate for some run off half back. Newman and Simpson are decent players but they're mark and kick players which is contributing to our slow ball movement. The fact Simmo too often calls for the ball when he's not in a position to play on compounds the problem. He and Murphy too often want the ball in their hands at the detriment of the team.
We need someone off half back who will run and attack on the transition and speed up our ball movement with a handball receive.

BV good point but who is that person? Marchbank? Gartlett? LOB would’ve been handy with his run and “excellent” kicking skills but hasn’t come on.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:26 am 
Geoff Southby

Rod Waddell wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

BV good point but who is that person? Marchbank? Gartlett? LOB would’ve been handy with his run and “excellent” kicking skills but hasn’t come on.

Dow?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I yearn for the good ole days of Rogers and Hughes where we would recruit half back flankers and want to turn them into midfielders, now it looks like we are doing it in reverse.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:58 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:

I have been saying this for a while

Simpson stifles our play

Gets the ball too often with little transition and swift ball movement

Good teams set up play from its half back line

Hoping players like Williamson, Doherty and Stocker are those players that will enable us to improve our ball movement over time

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:13 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:

Yes agreed. Its been our biggest problem all season along with our work at the stoppages. I think one of our smaller mids needs to used as a running half back.
I would try Zac Fisher or SPS. The combination of Fisher and SPS is not working in the centre. We are getting murdered at the stoppages every week. If Fisher plays as a flanker than SPS goes into the forward pocket or half forward role and Cuningham moves into the centre. I just like his skill set and his ability to keep his feet. He needs to be where the ball is.
Instruct SPS to focus on crumbing and shooting at goal, not dinking it backwards 10 yards.

Stocker has a big body. If he is playing AFL, stick him in the guts. Maybe a tagging role. Ditto Jack .
Or maybe give Kouta...cough cough ...i mean Charlie a run in there at the centre bounces. Try him in the guts with Gov and Harry as the forward targets.
I just want to see the coach get creative and try a few things that may or may not work. But when your 1-9 surely its time to get creative.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:24 am 
Harry Vallence

Further to the Fisher off half back, i just checked and noticed his is 1cm shorter than Adam Saad and 3cm shorter than Houli at Richmond.
Those two are seen as two of the better runners off half back in the AFL.
Fisher has the pace and the penetration in his kicking. Its worth a shot.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

how about the points raised by RooTsy on OTC?
how about Hazza stops running up the ground so the ball can be delivered to him?
How come the coach/es can't get the setup right? Charlee too if he is supposed to be a marking forward?
Charlee's role needs clearer definition. We are so far from the getting the best out of him.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:03 am 
John Nicholls

AGRO wrote:
I yearn for the good ole days of Rogers and Hughes where we would recruit half back flankers and want to turn them into midfielders, now it looks like we are doing it in reverse.

You know things have turned to excrement when Rogers and Hughes are referred to as the good ole days :yikes:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:13 am 
Wayne Johnston

Shiel may paly

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/shi ... 51ruc.html

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

We really have to beat these C#%£¥ because I’ll seriously spew up hearing how “brave the injury depleted bombers” were in beating us.

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
AGRO wrote:

You know things have turned to excrement when Rogers and Hughes are referred to as the good ole days :yikes:

I was trying to blend irony and sarcasm together in a single post.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:50 am 
Robert Walls

chubbyruss wrote:

Hope so - we will get more of the footy if he does

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:54 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:

Simpson plays on the wrong HBF. When he gets the ball and turns on to his left, he turns to the boundary. That suits our stop and start down the line to a contest 'game plan'. If he was on the other side of the ground, he would be turning in to the corridor where he could dish it off to someone running past and when he was without the footy he would tend to run into the corridor to receive.

Same with Fisher. He needs to set up on the side of stoppages that will allow him to run and deliver the footy onto a decent and dangerous place instead of turning into a throng of opposition players trying to get on his left.

Rocket science. Soccer players are selected precisely for the position they play based on their strong side to either open up or close up the field.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Simpson plays on the wrong HBF. When he gets the ball and turns on to his left, he turns to the boundary. That suits our stop and start down the line to a contest 'game plan'. If he was on the other side of the ground, he would be turning in to the corridor where he could dish it off to someone running past and when he was without the footy he would tend to run into the corridor to receive.

Same with Fisher. He needs to set up on the side of stoppages that will allow him to run and deliver the footy onto a decent and dangerous place instead of turning into a throng of opposition players trying to get on his left.

Rocket science. Soccer players are selected precisely for the position they play based on their strong side to either open up or close up the field.

Simpson has been doing it for years, running past players and calling for the handball even when he will be in the wrong side for a left footer.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

Yep. . . and then there's the clangers from Newman too. Simmo just attackes with no end in mind, often into trouble.

Garlett been tried, but failed.
OBrien been tried but failed.

Pickett is out for the year

Fish is probably quick enough
Cuningham could probably do it.

Williamson is a good one but is injured

We need Andy Walker back ... to show them how.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Who reckons we are a chance this weekend?

Who reckons we will win this weekend?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

If Jones returns from concussion then we have our Full Back.
Casboult can play CHB.
There's our 2 key posts.

Now we need run from the back half: Stocker and ??? and ???

Don't know if we need Weiters and Plowman this week with an undermanned Bumbers team.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:04 pm 
John Nicholls

AGRO wrote:
robertbb wrote:
AGRO wrote:

I was trying to blend irony and sarcasm together in a single post.

:lol:

So business as usual then :thumbsup: :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next