Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:27 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Much better game from the coach. We competed well with that suffocating forward press that they play with, without three (or four including Docherty) of our best defenders.

Good experience for Walsh lining up on Sidebottom, he's become a great player but Walsh will be at that level sooner rather than later.

Marchbank was brilliant. So was Cuningham.

Gibbons, Setterfield and Stocker all showed a lot of promise. JSOS has more of a future at Carlton than some of the media and online trolls would like to admit.

All of our tall forwards kicked multiple goals which is what we need. I have absolutely loved watching Mitch McGovern this year, he's a beauty and more aggressive than I realised.

Credit to Murphy and Ed for bouncing back to form, we need them to do that every week. Dow competed hard, a lot of what he tries doesn't come off yet but will after another two years experience.

The coaches and the team went out there with an underdog mentality, intent and fighting the game out and shutting the opposition down. It's exactly the way we need to attack every game.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I will refer my doubt on consistency for Murph to the M.G. thread.
For now so happy to be proved wrong by him this week.
Loved your post S.C. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 am 
Rod Ashman

Sin City wrote:
Much better game from the coach. We competed well with that suffocating forward press that they play with, without three (or four including Docherty) of our best defenders.

Good experience for Walsh lining up on Sidebottom, he's become a great player but Walsh will be at that level sooner rather than later.

Marchbank was brilliant. So was Cuningham.

Gibbons, Setterfield and Stocker all showed a lot of promise. JSOS has more of a future at Carlton than some of the media and online trolls would like to admit.

All of our tall forwards kicked multiple goals which is what we need. I have absolutely loved watching Mitch McGovern this year, he's a beauty and more aggressive than I realised.

Credit to Murphy and Ed for bouncing back to form, we need them to do that every week. Dow competed hard, a lot of what he tries doesn't come off yet but will after another two years experience.

The coaches and the team went out there with an underdog mentality, intent and fighting the game out and shutting the opposition down. It's exactly the way we need to attack every game.

Well said Sinner

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:45 am 
Craig Bradley

Yesterday's loss hurt... which is a good thing.... I had the giggles last week. But a good night sleep and I woke up looking at the positives.

But seeing the vision this morning of a devastated Cripps walking off at the end of the game has changed my mood again. I pray that every Carlton player hurts as much as this bloke, reality is they probably don't. God help this club if he ever decides to seek other opportunities.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:51 am 
Rod Ashman

dannyboy wrote:
I hate this year more than the previous years, hate it cos it hurts how close we are, how very close...hate it cos I know we need the furnace week after week, we need to be tempered in the heat of battle, serious battle...yesterday was serious...the pressure throughout was enormous...and in that pressure we had Cripps with clean hands and they had Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Treloar (compare that experience to Cripps, Fisher, Dow, SPS - and Dow was great yesterday)- but we are coming...we just need to win a couple...for my heart's sake.

This year is hurting like no other - maybe because we now, finally, finally, feel we have something to lose. We know it’s close.
There is also no No. 1 pick to cushion another shit season. The grand final ain’t in November no more!
It’s been gut wrenching - and the Crows in the top 4 and us last more fodder for forums and the media - but it’s kinda nice really giving a shit again and suffering so much after a lost opportunity.
No more shoulder shrugging and clicking on the recruitment threads. It’s nice being nervous before and during a game again.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:57 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Keogh, interesting reading champ

https://twitter.com/navyblue_bec/status ... 91680?s=19

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:11 am 
Geoff Southby

Didn't want to win ? don't know how to win ? Nah,just not quite good enough to win for mine.No doubt these guys are given' it there best shot.Lack of poise and smarts when there engine room of Pendles,Treloar,and Sidebottom went to work in the last quarter..............I'll put it on the kids again.Stand up when its your time to go.They had there chance again and blew it again.....i believe its gonna make these kids stronger in the long term.I don't believe it is scarring them,i believe it is galvanising them.We are just seeing a little bit more resolve but not quite enough.The talent of these kids is obvious.Best young group come through our club in a long time.There is genuine star talent there.Just keep working and it will come.But not yesterday,which brings me to next week which is a massive challenge as GWS is talent laden...................another chance for our boys to match it with the big boys.Stay switched on for the ENTIRE game and we can cause an upset.If we can push last years grand finalist we can push the Giants.............just keep going' boys,don't let up.You can do it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 am 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
We have been told it doesn't matter if we win

You can say it one hundred times but it's still the same distorted bullshit that it was the first time.
Surely you can find something factual to complain about?
It is factual it has been repeated a 1000 times .And now a opposition coach has come out and said it.

They wanted to win more. Why

Because winning doesn't matter.

I admire your analysis of the game and appreciate all your input on here about statistics game and effort. But despite your extensive knowledge of the game you haven't a clue when it comes to the big picture.
Last year we were going to be better in 2nd half of season.
Before the start of this season you gave Bolton a pass mark of 8 wins.
2 weeks ago you said we will win 2 out of the next 3
Yesterday you stated we would beat Collingwood.

For all your in depth analysis, extensive knowledge of the game you really have not got a clue.

I will say it again winning doesn't matter at Carlton so guess what we don't win.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Depressed, cluless old man!!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 pm 
Craig Bradley

A great effort in my view and as Parko said on the radio we have the most talented list of under 23 years in the comp

Really pleased with effort but does underscore how dreadful and unacceptable last week was and if we had that effort in hawthorn Gold Coast swans and north games should have won at least a couple more games

Cripps is a champ one of the best 3 players in comp no doubt

Setterfield just has to play another big body both inside and out a bit fumby yesterday but looks the goods to me

As I said a few weeks ago don't think Jack Silvagni is going to be a star but still will be a very competent footballer who can play various position -cops a lot of flack for a guy drafted 50 s in the draft

Cunningham really good forward craft and must play in our forward line

Backline given personnel down and given talent in Carringbush forward line was very good

Stocker and Williamson showed some real talent need a lot more games into them but looking good

Thought fisher was again very good

Yesterday was one of the times during the season that you could see that the multi-pronged forward line McGovern H and Charlie is in the future going to murder teams
Kreuz Daisy and Murph led well from the front yesterday
As for the umpires they were dreadful and Carlton should go to the AFL
24 to 8 in a close game is wrong we don't expect 50/50 but that differential is appalling and needs explaining

Didn't hang on in the last even the ball bounced against us in the last let alone the armchair ride that they got from the umps and the shocking non decisions Moore assassinated Charlie twice in the same incident in the third quarter and everyone at the ground thought it was not just one but two free kicks

Bring that effort every week and we should be winning games

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
A great effort in my view and as Parko said on the radio we have the most talented list of under 23 years in the comp

Really pleased with effort but does underscore how dreadful and unacceptable last week was and if we had that effort in hawthorn Gold Coast swans and north games should have won at least a couple more games

Setterfield just has to play another big body both inside and out a bit fumby yesterday but looks the goods to me

As I said a few weeks ago don't think Jack Silvagni is going to be a star but still will be a very competent footballer who can play various position -cops a lot of flack for a guy drafted 50 s in the draft

Backline given personnel down and given talent in Carringbush forward line was very good

Stocker and Williamson showed some real talent need a lot more games into them but looking good

Yesterday was one of the times during the season that you could see that the multi-pronged forward line McGovern H and Charlie is in the future going to murder teams
24 to 8 in a close game is wrong we don't expect 50/50 but that differential is appalling and needs explaining

Didn't hang on in the last even the ball bounced against us in the last let alone the armchair ride that they got from the umps and the shocking non decisions Moore assassinated Charlie twice in the same incident in the third quarter and everyone at the ground thought it was not just one but two free kicks

Very good summary Frank - and I’m sure Gil will explain it very well.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Just re: the umpiring. Some of the stats for the year are pretty damning. But instead of 'demanding' a please explain, why don't we flip it and ask for senior umpires to come in and watch game tape with us and ask for their 'advice' on why x was and x wasn't paid. That way we can learn about how better to bend the rules.

As an example, we have clearly not adjusted to the open handed handballs are now ok interpretation. I'm sure there are others we can pick up and train into our players.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
People ask me what I would do different. Well for starters its not my full time job and I don't have 8 assistant coaches and support staff and a senior mentor.
I just watch read and listen.
But the very first thing I would change is talking about positives and progress and development.
There would be only one point of discussion and that is winning at all costs.
If this means player x development is put on the back burner so be it. This club needs wins

How do we win if we don’t improve? How do we improve if we don’t develop?

How do you know what our coaches are telling our players?

Like you, I just watch, read and listen. And I find it frankly ridiculous that anyone can suggest we are not trying to win.

I would also suggest if you’re going to bang on and on (and on) about something you put forward a constructive idea now and then about how to make it happen.

“We need more wins” is not a plan. Wins are the outcome. And it’s the outcome we all want, including (possibly most of all) the players and coaches.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

Heavs wrote:
Just re: the umpiring. Some of the stats for the year are pretty damning. But instead of 'demanding' a please explain, why don't we flip it and ask for senior umpires to come in and watch game tape with us and ask for their 'advice' on why x was and x wasn't paid. That way we can learn about how better to bend the rules.

As an example, we have clearly not adjusted to the open handed handballs are now ok interpretation. I'm sure there are others we can pick up and train into our players.

:thumbsup:

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Heavs wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

bluegirldog72

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Umpiring didn't kill us. Our fumbling did. But that'll come. As will game intelligence and endurance and strength.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Open hand hand balls - code for throwing

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

doofdoof wrote:
keogh wrote:
Yesterday’s effort was fantastic
but eventually the dam wall burst open in the
last 5 minutes
SOS has recruited too many players
that move the ball slowly

I can say Setterfield is a bust after 6 games
He is a slow big bodied mid ACL or no ACL
We needed to recruit guys that can spread
and move the ball quickly
SOS is a proctected species
As I have said before he went the quick fix last year
getting Mc Govern and Setterfield for essentially 5 picks

This after winning 2 games with a % under 60

Blaming umpires
Cmon
We were comprehensively beaten in the last quarter
We don’t have much in the draft this year

If Cripps goes down
How will we go then
One player shouldn’t make such a difference 3.5 years into a
“Rebuild “
Walsh has made us a better team but every recruiting officer gets the number one pick
right

I can’t see a lot of improvement in this playing group
We need more players like Cunningham who can move the ball
quickly
I can understand the frustration
It’s an emotional game

You can’t keep losing games
Something has to give eventually
And it will be Bolton who will be sacked if we don’t start
winning games

negative negative negative
how do you get through the day!
you cant see a lot of improvement in this playing group! FFS mate have a closer look

look at the players the pies can run through the midfield for a start

pendlebury 285 games
Sidebottom 219 games
Treloar 147 games
Mayne 201 games
Grundy 116 games
De Goey 79 games
Greenwood 140 games
Brown 19 games
Wills 7 games

Total 1,213 games

then look at ours

Murphy 257 games
Kreuzer 176 games
Curnow 151 games
Cripps 89 games
Fisher 42 games
Walsh 8 games
Dow 28 games
SPS 50 games
Setterfield 7 games

Total 808 games

That's 500+ games of experience we give away in the midfield alone. That's before looking at our more experienced guys and understanding they are not at the quality of Pendlebury, Sidebottom & Treloar.
Then we go to the backline and we had Stocker who was in his 2nd game, Willo was in his 17th and hasnt played in 18 months, Marchbank who has only played 41 games and looked a million bucks yesterday and a guy who has never played KPP in an AFL game before. This with 4 guys that would be walk up starts in the back 6 missing....& you cant see improvement in the playing group! FMD go take some positivity pills...

Just because I’m negative about SOS recruiting strategy doesn’t mean I’m a negative guy
I call the footy the way I see it
We looked the most dangerous when Cunningham had the ball
We have too many plodders
The game continues to evolve
I have read every excuse under the sun in the 14 years i have been on thiswebsite
about why the team performs so badly

To me it’s the recruiting

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

viewtopic.php?t=36562

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

frank dardew wrote:

Careful, Sin City will tag you as an online Troll unless you have Jack as second Brownlow favourite behind Cripps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next