Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:15 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Sidefx wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
We must stop this trend to play our worst against the weaker opposition teams in the competition? What is it that year after year this is a feature of our performance? It is soul destroying year after year. We should not be having these beltings against such teams year after year. How the hell do we keep losing to the Aints, Gold Coast, North and Fremantle every year, and not be prepared when they come out steaming and nasty? We simply wilt and either don't come to play or give in.

Completely agree. It needs to be drilled into them all summer. Behind the scenes. That they're going to be judged ESPECIALLY by how they perform in these games. (Stuff the Richmond, and Collingwood and Essendon*** games.) In this age of free agency, you can't attract good players, until you start to win games. And realistically, half of the teams are simply too good for us at the moment to beat. So we need to target the winnable games ESPECIALLY.

I don't think it's realistic to expect us to be competitive every week. That's just too hard. 6 out of 7 is pretty good. But I want someone at the club to realise we need to come prepared to the ABSOLUTE MAX, in games against the other cellar dwellers. I don't want the club and the players and the coaching panel to spend 3 months preparing to beat Richmond. I want them to spend the summer preparing for how to beat Gold Coast. And North. And Saints. And Freo. And Bulldogs. And Swans.

Not sure what you mean here.......did you predict the Bulldogs and Swans to be "cellar dwellers"? And North has added some pretty good mature age talent in the off season. Hall (who did not play), Polec, Tyson (who did not play) and Pittard. We added McGovern, Setterfield, Newman and Fasolo (which none of them played). I understand what you are eluding too but some of these so called "cellar dwellers" have more mature lists than we do, with less injury to key players. FWIW we know and the club knows we dropped the ball against GCS, but I think it will take a pretty fit team to beat the Saints and Freo. And we were just lucky the Dogs couldn't kick straight otherwise that would've been a lot closer too.
So in summary I think they are prepared for all games not just the top teams, but as Ed said in his post match interview the coaches plan all week for the opposition teams, then it's up to the players on game day, but this week the players went out thinking it was in the bag (a little too much self belief as it turns out). It's how they respond as a playing group this week that counts now.
This team is still young and have little experience in playing with each other and unfortunately they don't know or believe they can change the momentum in a game to stop a flogging or win a close one yet. I'm hoping it will happen soon, as this game was a crash landing back to earth of our expectations of a young team. If we get a few good wins near the end of the season to show they have grown as a group, that will be enough encouragement for me that next year should be a break out year and hopefully we can land an A-grader or two.

Your endless excuses are nauseating

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:16 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

frank dardew wrote:
What I don't get is surely like all of us they are sick of losing so why aren't they doubly fired up against the bottom team North or the saints or the Gold Coast or Brisbane or Freo
Why do they meekly surrender to teams that come out fired up and they come out fired up because they know we either shit ourselves or don't come to play
Everyone in the stadium or watching it who barracked for Carlton knew when we missed the first kick for goal and North kicked 3 goals knew we were in trouble

Everyone could smell the fear
Pathetic and weasel words about being fired up against Collingwood are just that weasel words trying to take the heat off them for an egregious performance that wasn't AFL standard
Shut up show some spine and grit and represent us properly

Too many pics platitudes from the playing group we are sick of them

:thanks:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yesterday was so bad I find myself agreeing with Jon Ralph :banghead:

12 key reasons the battling Blues are 1-6 after seven rounds
Quote:
Sunday’s loss to North Melbourne was as painful as any because Blues fans know they have enough talent on their list.

When you can lead Hawthorn by six goals with ball movement like a Malcolm-Blight coached Geelong side in the mid-90s, the talent is there.

This year Patrick Cripps is in the elite class and Zac Fisher, Jacob Weitering, Sam Walsh, Liam Jones, Matthew Kreuzer and Lachie Plowman are in the above average class.

So why is this list still 1-6 despite all the hard-won games?

Here are the dirty dozen reasons why Carlton is still taking one step forward then a giant leap back.

1. Carlton’s forward line pressure is non-existent.
2. Lochie O’Brien is only 18 games into his career but being asked to play a significant role on the wing.
3. Carlton rarely wins the ball back from its opponent.
4. The recruits haven’t had the instant impact the Blues hoped.
5. Caleb Marchbank is just going.
6. Paddy Dow hasn’t kicked above 50 per cent efficiency for the past four games.
7. Charlie Curnow.
8. Carlton gave up pick 28 for Matthew Kennedy at the end of 2017.
9. Levi Casboult’s inconsistency.
10. The Blues have been crying out for a dangerous small forward since Eddie Betts and Jeff Garlett left.
11. Matthew Kreuzer makes Carlton a five-goal better side.
12. Where was the leadership against North Melbourne?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We did score 22 times from 39 inside 50s, don't think Ralphy has a very good eye for it if he thinks that was the problem area of the ground.

Of the recruits, Newman and McGovern were out injured while most thought Setterfield should've played. We clearly missed them so it's a stupid call to say they've had no impact.

To me it looked like our plan was to go out and dictate terms from the start of the match, basically we expected to be able to win he ball and do as we pleased with it. It was similar to that awful showing against Gold Coast last year. We were playing like millionaires instead of underdogs while North wanted to bash us up around the packs, shut us down and only play like favourites once they had taken control. We'll need an underdog game plan and mindset against Collingwood and most weeks after that really.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

he's got a thing for paddy dow has ralph

id like to wager that he hasn't written an article that is more than 50% correct in over 4 years

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:27 pm 
Wayne Johnston

No 8 seems a bit of a reach. A failed pick 28 cant be a major reason we are not winning ? All clubs have failed picks/trades.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

The explanations behind the points describe things better than the points themselves.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

Plowman is not above average

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

club29 wrote:
No 8 seems a bit of a reach. A failed pick 28 cant be a major reason we are not winning ? All clubs have failed picks/trades.

And No 4 he makes special mention of Setterfield not having any impact. For crying out loud he is a 3rd year player returning from a knee reconstruction. :banghead: :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

Uncle Zel wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
We must stop this trend to play our worst against the weaker opposition teams in the competition? What is it that year after year this is a feature of our performance? It is soul destroying year after year. We should not be having these beltings against such teams year after year. How the hell do we keep losing to the Aints, Gold Coast, North and Fremantle every year, and not be prepared when they come out steaming and nasty? We simply wilt and either don't come to play or give in.

Completely agree. It needs to be drilled into them all summer. Behind the scenes. That they're going to be judged ESPECIALLY by how they perform in these games. (Stuff the Richmond, and Collingwood and Essendon**** games.) In this age of free agency, you can't attract good players, until you start to win games. And realistically, half of the teams are simply too good for us at the moment to beat. So we need to target the winnable games ESPECIALLY.

I don't think it's realistic to expect us to be competitive every week. That's just too hard. 6 out of 7 is pretty good. But I want someone at the club to realise we need to come prepared to the ABSOLUTE MAX, in games against the other cellar dwellers. I don't want the club and the players and the coaching panel to spend 3 months preparing to beat Richmond. I want them to spend the summer preparing for how to beat Gold Coast. And North. And Saints. And Freo. And Bulldogs. And Swans.

Not sure what you mean here.......did you predict the Bulldogs and Swans to be "cellar dwellers"? And North has added some pretty good mature age talent in the off season. Hall (who did not play), Polec, Tyson (who did not play) and Pittard. We added McGovern, Setterfield, Newman and Fasolo (which none of them played). I understand what you are eluding too but some of these so called "cellar dwellers" have more mature lists than we do, with less injury to key players. FWIW we know and the club knows we dropped the ball against GCS, but I think it will take a pretty fit team to beat the Saints and Freo. And we were just lucky the Dogs couldn't kick straight otherwise that would've been a lot closer too.
So in summary I think they are prepared for all games not just the top teams, but as Ed said in his post match interview the coaches plan all week for the opposition teams, then it's up to the players on game day, but this week the players went out thinking it was in the bag (a little too much self belief as it turns out). It's how they respond as a playing group this week that counts now.
This team is still young and have little experience in playing with each other and unfortunately they don't know or believe they can change the momentum in a game to stop a flogging or win a close one yet. I'm hoping it will happen soon, as this game was a crash landing back to earth of our expectations of a young team. If we get a few good wins near the end of the season to show they have grown as a group, that will be enough encouragement for me that next year should be a break out year and hopefully we can land an A-grader or two.

Not as nauseating as your fact-less, repetitive, uninspiring trolling. But I guess everyone has to have a talent at something.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:02 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The one last thing I noticed at the game was that we gave away soft free kicks while North smashed us in giving away free kicks. We give gentle pushes in the back and slip up high tackles, whereas North gave free kicks by smashes our players in the back and generally assaulting our players. They hit us @#$%&! hard early because they knew we'd wilt. Not even they could have expected it to happen as quickly as it did. I reckon it was largely what Hawthorn did to get back into it last week too. That is the blueprint. Carlton don't like it hard, so hit them hard and they'll go to water

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

Stefchook wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
It's how they respond as a playing group this week that counts now.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter all that much how they 'come out' this week. Because they're still basically no chance of winning. My point is they need to make sure they 'come out', when they play the Saints. Because 'valiant' competitive efforts against the top tier sides won't produce wins. The club desperately need some wins. The coach desperately needs some wins. The players desperately need some wins. Or else they're going to have to struggle to improve slowly and gradually all by themselves. Because they're not going to get good senior players wanting to join them as wooden spooners.

Sidefx wrote:
If we get a few good wins near the end of the season to show they have grown as a group, that will be enough encouragement for me that next year should be a break out year and hopefully we can land an A-grader or two.

But we won't attract mature A-graders if we finish bottom 4. If we had a better year last year, we probably would have gotten Shiel. If we'd had a better year the previous year, we might have gotten Kelly. If Coniglio leaves. He'll go to Hawthorn. Or perhaps the Saints. But he won't be coming to Carlton, unless he sees short-term hope and success. Why would he want to go through a GWS rebuild all over again?

Like I said I get what you're saying, but they need to stick to the processes and come out every week, otherwise you can't gauge development progress other than win or loss. Unfortunately for us there will be a lot more losses this year than wins so they are already damned. We will struggle to beat the Saints unless we get some key players back from injury, so all the media detractors will be sitting on the edge of their seats to have another crack. This will be the theme this year, but hopefully if we can string some together at the back end of the year and show good form going into the final rounds, we still will be able to attract good talent, Brisbane did!
As for Coniglio, money and the chance to lead our midfield alongside Cripps must be an attractive option even in the face of our ladder position. It'll depend on how big his ego is and if GWS win a premiership this year, there is still a lot of variables.
Hope is not all lost yet, it's only round 8.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

The_Cranium wrote:
The one last thing I noticed at the game was that we gave away soft free kicks while North smashed us in giving away free kicks. We give gentle pushes in the back and slip up high tackles, whereas North gave free kicks by smashes our players in the back and generally assaulting our players. They hit us @#$%&! hard early because they knew we'd wilt. Not even they could have expected it to happen as quickly as it did. I reckon it was largely what Hawthorn did to get back into it last week too. That is the blueprint. Carlton don't like it hard, so hit them hard and they'll go to water

You're on the money there and why wouldn't they when they are bigger and playing against kids. It's not like it's morally wrong to take our kids out with big hits.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Giving up pick 28 for Kennedy is one of the reasons we're 1-6? FMD.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

frank dardew wrote:
What I don't get is surely like all of us they are sick of losing so why aren't they doubly fired up against the bottom team North or the saints or the Gold Coast or Brisbane or Freo
Why do they meekly surrender to teams that come out fired up and they come out fired up because they know we either shit ourselves or don't come to play
Everyone in the stadium or watching it who barracked for Carlton knew when we missed the first kick for goal and North kicked 3 goals knew we were in trouble

Everyone could smell the fear
Pathetic and weasel words about being fired up against Collingwood are just that weasel words trying to take the heat off them for an egregious performance that wasn't AFL standard
Shut up show some spine and grit and represent us properly

Too many pics platitudes from the playing group we are sick of them

Great post Frank. :clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:26 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sidefx wrote:
Uncle Zel wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

Completely agree. It needs to be drilled into them all summer. Behind the scenes. That they're going to be judged ESPECIALLY by how they perform in these games. (Stuff the Richmond, and Collingwood and Essendon***** games.) In this age of free agency, you can't attract good players, until you start to win games. And realistically, half of the teams are simply too good for us at the moment to beat. So we need to target the winnable games ESPECIALLY.

Not as nauseating as your fact-less, repetitive, uninspiring trolling. But I guess everyone has to have a talent at something.

4 from 39, 1-6, last 5 games highly winnable with the side we have and we win one! This is 4 years in. Game plan, well, what is it, and we are the most poorly drilled side in my memory. So often the last 2 years we simply not had a real crack, yesterday being the first this year, so it makes me wonder if he even has the full respect of the players. anyone with those results wouldn't have a job. Don't have to be blind to see we are going nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 pm 
Ken Hands

doofdoof wrote:
he's got a thing for paddy dow has ralph

id like to wager that he hasn't written an article that is more than 50% correct in over 4 years

:clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
4 from 39, 1-6, last 5 games highly winnable with the side we have and we win one! This is 4 years in. Game plan, well, what is it, and we are the most poorly drilled side in my memory. So often the last 2 years we simply not had a real crack, yesterday being the first this year, so it makes me wonder if he even has the full respect of the players. anyone with those results wouldn't have a job. Don't have to be blind to see we are going nowhere.

Please explain to me why you are using 39 as a number to base your stats on?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

The supporter/membership base turned up, but the players didn't?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

Lowey_47 wrote:
The supporter/membership base turned up, but the players didn't?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

And like the players did last week, they left at half time. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next