Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The_Cranium wrote:
The one last thing I noticed at the game was that we gave away soft free kicks while North smashed us in giving away free kicks. We give gentle pushes in the back and slip up high tackles, whereas North gave free kicks by smashes our players in the back and generally assaulting our players. They hit us @#$%&! hard early because they knew we'd wilt. Not even they could have expected it to happen as quickly as it did. I reckon it was largely what Hawthorn did to get back into it last week too. That is the blueprint. Carlton don't like it hard, so hit them hard and they'll go to water

They especially go to water with their lightly framed developing bodies. Samo, Dow, LOB, Fisher (but he is so fast he evades a lot of it) and Walsh (who can simply out gut run enough to to get 25+ touches but gets brushed aside in the tough clinches) all can't compete with mature mids.

Crippa can't carry the grandstand for much longer. Setters must be given a sustained run, Kennedy ditto, and Ed must return to a shut down/run with role until we recruit some mature talent or the kids grow up....but that will take a while. And we need to somehow get a decent mature ruck that can hurt some opposition players around the packs, as it's obvious old Kreuz just can't stay on the park.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

Stefchook wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
It's how they respond as a playing group this week that counts now.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter all that much how they 'come out' this week. Because they're still basically no chance of winning. My point is they need to make sure they 'come out', when they play the Saints. Because 'valiant' competitive efforts against the top tier sides won't produce wins. The club desperately need some wins. The coach desperately needs some wins. The players desperately need some wins. Or else they're going to have to struggle to improve slowly and gradually all by themselves. Because they're not going to get good senior players wanting to join them as wooden spooners.

Sidefx wrote:
If we get a few good wins near the end of the season to show they have grown as a group, that will be enough encouragement for me that next year should be a break out year and hopefully we can land an A-grader or two.

But we won't attract mature A-graders if we finish bottom 4. If we had a better year last year, we probably would have gotten Shiel. If we'd had a better year the previous year, we might have gotten Kelly. If Coniglio leaves. He'll go to Hawthorn. Or perhaps the Saints. But he won't be coming to Carlton, unless he sees short-term hope and success. Why would he want to go through a GWS rebuild all over again?

That is exactly how I feel with these weird comments our players make. What kind of mentality do our players have if they get ahead of themselves after a close loss?

It seems they can’t handle any expectation at all so play better in games where they know they basically have no or little chance of winning. Even last year we only lost to the pies by 20 points.

Our lack of decent leaders hurts us massively, as it is now we are basically going to be pretty bad until the kids can perform consistently.

Murphy should be dropped to send a message, but won’t be as I’ve already read crap about him running further than all our players on Sunday.

Charlie obviously drinking his own bath water over pre season another one who should be on notice. Slight out given his injury niggles but hasn’t looked good at all.

I will be staggered if we don’t get a small forward in the mid season draft.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Good to see you don't make assumptions about our players.
Are you in Charlee's head?
He has bone bruising which has undermined his confidence atm. He'll get back to his best.
Is that what Ed meant?
Maybe he meant that they had trained their arses off all week and had a good understanding of the game day plan, so thought it would all fall into place on the field.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluegirl72 wrote:
He has bone bruising which has undermined his confidence atm. He'll get back to his best.
Is that what Ed meant?
Maybe he meant that they had trained their arses off all week and had a good understanding of the game day plan, so thought it would all fall into place on the field.

Whatever they meant what we see is a side that seems to be content after an honorable loss. In this case there were mitigating circumstances with injuries, but it's been happening for a couple of years now, close defeat, people thinking we are finally improving, then destroyed against a side people give us a realistic chance of beating/competing with.

Charlie hasn't been great, and I am sure injury has played a part.

It just seems something is still off with us as a club, and I don't think its as simple as we are young and it takes time. I don't know if because we have been down so long, but there is an acceptance of losing, or a near enough is good enough attitude. Hopefully I am completely wrong and it all just clicks. I do think the main factor is we have the worst group of experienced players of any side in the comp, both from an ability and leadership perspective.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:09 pm 
Rod McGregor

Adam Chatfield wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Is that what Ed meant?

Whatever they meant what we see is a side that seems to be content after an honorable loss. In this case there were mitigating circumstances with injuries, but it's been happening for a couple of years now, close defeat, people thinking we are finally improving, then destroyed against a side people give us a realistic chance of beating/competing with.

It just seems something is still off with us as a club, and I don't think its as simple as we are young and it takes time. I don't know if because we have been down so long, but there is an acceptance of losing, or a near enough is good enough attitude. Hopefully I am completely wrong and it all just clicks. I do think the main factor is we have the worst group of experienced players of any side in the comp, both from an ability and leadership perspective.

So true. Leadership seriously lacking across the group.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:13 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Giving up pick 28 for Kennedy is one of the reasons we're 1-6? FMD.

Then what about Dow at 3 ? Kennedy is a better footballer !

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

Jiahao Blue wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Is that what Ed meant?

Our true leaders are good - Cripps, Daisy, Simmo, Kreuz & Doc have the right mindset and standards as leaders, problem is we only have 50% on the ground for the last 2 years.

The weak link is Murphy and has been for a long time and as much as I don't believe any crap that Madhouse says, the very first comment he made coming into the club was that our leaders are a pack of introverts. The dumb shit then had the choice of Simmo or Murph as captain.... Madness :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:23 am 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:
Jiahao Blue wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Is that what Ed meant?

Our true leaders are good - Cripps, Daisy, Simmo, Kreuz & Doc have the right mindset and standards as leaders, problem is we only have 50% on the ground for the last 2 years.

The weak link is Murphy and has been for a long time and as much as I don't believe any crap that Madhouse says, the very first comment he made coming into the club was that our leaders are a pack of introverts. The dumb shit then had the choice of Simmo or Murph as captain.... Madness :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

I agree those leaders are fine, but it’s a very small group. We have been cruelled by injury, but Kreuzer has always been so seemed a bit unrealistic to suddenly expect an injury free run from him.

I’m still skeptical about the Murph being captain business that it was some board/marketing decision.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

Adam Chatfield wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
Jiahao Blue wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Is that what Ed meant?

I agree those leaders are fine, but it’s a very small group. We have been cruelled by injury, but Kreuzer has always been so seemed a bit unrealistic to suddenly expect an injury free run from him.

I’m still skeptical about the Murph being captain business that it was some board/marketing decision.

It was probably how they got him to not nominate Brisbane as father son. He has bucketloads of talent but wasted it trying to be Captain of a sinking ship. His leadership is different too, not a Judd or Cripps that leads from the front with a tough brand of football. Now we have a solid leader it's almost like he's having a sook. It's really weird and sad to watch as he's been one of my favourite players for years. I wonder if he's injured or just mentally gone, might have already asked for a trade, who knows?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10