Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

I flew down for this game.

And boy, are my arms tired...

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
I'm not happy about the result but I am more perplexed how some think this was a winnable game. Yes, they were below us on the ladder, but they have flogged us the last 4 odd years. Plus they have a team full of tall big bodied players and we brought a team of kids, lack of experienced leaders and with 2 unconditioned players to a physical game. It never was going to be a win, but I hoped it wouldn't be the flogging it was.

This!

We won 2 games last year. Two. We have the most under 22s of any side in the comp, then we lose about 600 games experience in one whack. We replace them with our 2nd string ruckman, 2 guys not ready to play AFL (for different reasons) and a talented but sadly out of form forward. And people are saying it was a “winnable game”? Against a side who beat us by 15 goals last time we played them? And who we’ve beaten twice in 10 years? Riiiiiight.

And this is not making excuses or letting anyone off the hook. It’s where we are at. I am not happy about it, I hate losing, but it shits me a bit how some posters go overboard after a good performance and even more overboard after a bad performance. It’s never as good as it seems, it’s never as bad as it seems.

And while I’m at it - “winnable game”.....what the @#$%&! does that even mean? Aren’t they all supposed to be winnable?

I enjoy reading your posts but I reckon your making excuses
I’ll keep banging on about this
SOS has recruited too many average players from other clubs particularly
From GWS
North did their homework on Cripps
Put a star on him
Cripps is a star
He is asked to do too much every week
He got taken out of the game
Game over
A team shouldn’t rely on one player so much

We in all sorts when Newman and Simpson were out
It’s not the 300 game experience
He and Newman are the only ones that move the ball quickly
Out of defence
It’s paramount to move the ball quickly
Plowman Marchbank don’t
Cunningham is one of the few that can move the ball quickly but he was missing as usual
Kreuzers body seems as brittle as a warm chicken bone but
Phillips and Lobbe more did SOS recruits from other clubs expose a lack of physical presence
I’m also starting to have my doubts about Dow and O’Brien
They need to step up a bit
Murphy won’t do that
He has been gone for a while but the club give him 2 years
It’s not an over reaction
If the Pies are on it has the potential to be a massacre
We are mile of it
You have said you think the recruitment under SOS has been ok
I disagree

Last edited by keogh on Sun May 05, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluedog wrote:
I flew down for this game.

And boy, are my arms tired...

Hee hee. :grin:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:19 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

For mine, there is no excusing not being ready to compete and work hard.

They smashed us in tight, in contested ball AND outnumbered us in most contests. Inexcusable.

Our midfield, ALL our midfield were putrid. Especially early. Lazy and soft. No pressure, no effort and no intensity. Set the tone. Not to mention our bush league skills and decision making.

We were barely competitive today. It was garbage time for more than half the game. An indictment on all and sundry.

#BeyondBlue

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

ABNS good points but effort today was deplorable not AFL intensity not AFL application and not AFL standard skill wise supporters should expect and get better now with any Carlton team put on the park particularly after what we have been able to access through the draft

Not expecting them to be world beaters but after 7 rounds 1 win is not acceptable and nor should it be

The club is not ruthless enough and the players don't seem to play with any ruthlessness at all

Not one person at the club can be happy with where we are at with the amount of good draft picks we have even though the side is young we should not be putting such performances up and whilst you don't like the 4 year thing we must improve this year in terms of winning games otherwise the coach will get it in the neck and we will go back to ground zero with a new coach

Yes we were pleased with a win against the Dogs but I don't think most of us went overboard with win against dogs it was more sheer relief -Dogs played badly that night and we were ok

We must stop this trend to play our worst against the weaker opposition teams in the competition what is it that year after year this is a feature of our performance

It is soul destroying year after year we should not be having these belting star against such teams year after year
How the hell do we keep losing to the Aints Gold Coast North Fremantle every year and not be prepared when the come out steaming and nasty we simply wilt and either don't come to play and give in

I'm generally positive but today was complete shit and unacceptable and I hope that the scrutiny comes on all of them they deserve it

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:23 pm 
Ken Hands

So where do people think the responsibility lies for the mental preparation? How much comes form the coaches and how much is individual responsibility? Ed was on the screen pre game talking about how much negative press NM had this week and how they were going to come out firing etc. So obviously it was talked about. For me if these guys want to be taken seriously as professional athletes, they shouldn't need someone screaming at them every week to run out and give everything, it should just be what they do. Every @#$%&! week. The scars of the last 15 years run pretty deep, it's not a stretch to see today as a result of the players being pretty happy with 2 close losses and a win in the last few weeks and think, yep we're doing ok, we've been respectable for a few weeks, that's good enough.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

missed the game and no inclination to watch it. can anyone tell me how Charlie, stocker and willo played?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

What happened?

Cripps couldn't get a kick early and no one else stepped up - by the time Cripps got going it was too late.

Still too reliant on our superstar midfielder - SPS, Dow and to a lesser extent Fisher are still going to frequently have quiet games.

SPS 35 against the Dogs, 16 today.

Walsh still quite good but he's not a coalface midfielder like Cripps.

Look at Cripps first quarter https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/sta ... 8863303680

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:30 pm 
Ken Hands

frank dardew wrote:

I'm generally positive but today was complete shit and unacceptable and I hope that the scrutiny comes on all of them they deserve it

My feelings too. I'm not in the "Sack Bolton" camp but watching shit like today makes me think it could take something like that to shake these soft cocks out of their comfy little existence where an honorable loss is good enough. I think we've improved quite a bit this year but then you sit through an effort that weak and wonder whether anything has really changed.

And please drop Murphy. Don't rest him or mange him, make him play in the reserves and then get him to retire at the end of the year.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

Murph and Daisy ....... 1 and 2 in the same draft ...... One of those guys still gives a shit

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

Setterfield and Kennedy need to play others are far to light got brutalised coupled with total lack of intensity and fight by the whole squad
Need other options than Cripps

As for the whole squad who let down unbelievably 60,000 members We are sick of this crap start playing as if your life depended on it or get out

Don't bother with all this Gerry Gee feel good crap when you don't win with so called honourable losses work hard work hard on being ruthless and give us 100 percent

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:
What happened?

Cripps couldn't get a kick early and no one else stepped up - by the time Cripps got going it was too late.

Still too reliant on our superstar midfielder - SPS, Dow and to a lesser extent Fisher are still going to frequently have quiet games.

SPS 35 against the Dogs, 16 today.

Walsh still quite good but he's not a coalface midfielder like Cripps.

Look at Cripps first quarter https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/sta ... 8863303680

This is why one of or both of Kennedy and Setterfield need to play. I know Kennedy needs to improve his outside game but Cripps needs some big body support close by. Our youngsters were thrown around like rag dolls today.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

ferdinand wrote:
So where do people think the responsibility lies for the mental preparation? How much comes form the coaches and how much is individual responsibility? Ed was on the screen pre game talking about how much negative press NM had this week and how they were going to come out firing etc. So obviously it was talked about. For me if these guys want to be taken seriously as professional athletes, they shouldn't need someone screaming at them every week to run out and give everything, it should just be what they do. Every @#$%&! week. The scars of the last 15 years run pretty deep, it's not a stretch to see today as a result of the players being pretty happy with 2 close losses and a win in the last few weeks and think, yep we're doing ok, we've been respectable for a few weeks, that's good enough.

I think the rot has set in

Losing as often as we do will eventually take its mental toll

We have been in this losing cycle for an extended period which is doing damage to our young player's development

I have the theory that you need a good senior core when rebuilding a young team

We have not had this and are now paying the price

Looking back I think we cut too hard

Problem now is we won't attract a quality FA if we win another wooden spoon (we also don't get the number one pick)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:04 pm 
Horrie Clover

Boys vs Men, Bolts has until the end of the year to prove he should stay.
We have shown signs, but will need to improve and win some games.
The way I see it is we are a year behind Brisbane.
We need a ruck.
Time to chase established players....

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

This was a Horror Movie- a Horror Show where nothing went right from the start!

Not sure if it is even worth assessing this performance, the whole team was Switched off. Is this a one off sleep show? or will it happen again this year?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

How can they not be ready ? Blind Freddy knew North were going to come out breathing fire
Why do they keep persisting with O Brien ? What does he offer ?
Murphy has brought squabbling to a new level this year. Needs to be dropped to set an example, but won’t be.
Coaches way to slow to react when things not going right.
Harry and Charlie were invisible today
Levi is a joke
Cripps. Daisy, Walsh, Jones, Jack and Fish can hold their heads high. The rest were pretty much useless and gutless today.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:12 am 
Craig Bradley

Cripps hurt his knee in opening minutes. Couldn’t move thought he was done.

Shocking look for Plow to be laughing during Jones incident, however would love to know who made the joke that made him laugh/who he was joking with.

Willo spent most of last qtr on bench after that tackle.

Nevermind his lack of skill, but Phillips must be really unfit because he spends a hell of a lot of time on the bench.

Not one single strand of Doc’s hair is ever out of place - quite impressive given he wears the headpiece all game

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:10 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Hats off to North. Urgh.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I'd be interested in the "effort indicators". That was the buzz through the first six rounds. They must have been way down - or we are marking them to the wrong curve.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:06 am 
Bruce Doull

Geeez....

i really thought we'd do a little better...!

kindest regards tommi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next