Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:31 pm 
Geoff Southby

MIL wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
MIL wrote:
Heavs wrote:
What's the point of Murphy, seriously?

Also is there any fear of someone giving Cripps a chop out? cauliflower was being held all day - someone go and belt howe couple of times in the contest and he'll soon let go.

Also, I know these guys are all colleagues now, but any chance one of our high marking forwards can give away a free kick or two by making people fear standing in a hole?

What’s missing at our club is ruthlessness, and the willingness to crunch the opposition to win a game. The Hawks had their line in the sand game, and god knows we need ours.

Yeah, you don't go from multiple wooden spoons and a 2 win season to ruthless overnight. Hawks success came a long time after their line in the sand game. We're heading in the right direction though

Agree, but we haven't had our line in the sand game yet. If we're going to get slaughtered each week by the umps, which we seem to (is that my Blues glasses ???) then why not take a few players down and make them hurt to beat us ?

Hawks line in the sand game is a complete myth. It was 2004 under Schwab, they were getting smashed by Essendon* at half time by about 5 goals and lost by about 13 after the brawl.

They then ended up sucking for another 2 seasons under clarko in 05-06.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:22 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
If Eleni @#$%&! Gluftis can't bounce the ball, either piss her off or get her to throw it up. What happened to recalling bad bounces? Today she bounced a couple straight to McEvoy or Roughead and called play on?
With the 6,6,6 rule, mistakes like that can have a huge impact on the game.

1. Two weeks ago she umpired our game and like today we lose by under a goal. She’s a bad omen. And why do we get lumbered with her? She only does the lousy games.

2. Why are we forced to play dawks in Tassie and cats in Geelong? What are we the Washington Generals?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Waddell wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
If Eleni @#$%&! Gluftis can't bounce the ball, either piss her off or get her to throw it up. What happened to recalling bad bounces? Today she bounced a couple straight to McEvoy or Roughead and called play on?

1. Two weeks ago she umpired our game and like today we lose by under a goal. She’s a bad omen. And why do we get lumbered with her? She only does the lousy games.

2. Why are we forced to play dawks in Tassie and cats in Geelong? What are we the Washington Generals?

I believe the Washington Generals have a better winning record.

:razz:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:25 am 
Wayne Johnston

Rod Waddell wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Said the same re the bounce in the Umps thread

She is a Carlton hater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Adam Chatfield wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Trigger wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Don't tell me it's not between the ears
100% it is.
I have been saying it for years

They don't know how to win.
And it doesn't matter if we don't.

Gold Coast game was a disgrace
This was just as bad as Hawks are not good enough to come back from 33 points down.

But we let them. .

Unfortunatley your comments are irrevalent!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Why is that Trigger because I speak the truth and you don't like it.

I was at a Swans game some years back and I told a few on this site that this club will never be any good until such time as all those associated with us tanking for Murphy Gibbs and Kruez are gone.

I would hate to say it but this must have been 6 to 8 years ago

You can not condone losing then suddenly expect to win at will.
Take a look at Melbourne

Yeah really hurt pies and hawks tanking in 05/06
We tanked for years
We don't care if we win because we know we are the big winners in November
Ever since Bolton has arrived it has not been about winning.

The club actually thought that they could bottom out get the best kids in the draft and rise back to the top again.
It was a calculated strategy by the club. Now they developed an environment where winning doesn't matter.

Look at Melbourne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 am 
Rod Ashman

Rod Waddell wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

1. The soft 50m she paid near the centre of the ground was a “crowd” 50m. Think it resulted in a goal.

2. We’re getting what we deserve and it’s indicative of how far we have fallen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:08 am 
Stephen Silvagni

So many goal highlights. Cuningham, Dow, Kreuzer, Curnow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:19 am 
Robert Walls

It reminded me of the Sydney game, actually, in that we played open, expansive footy early and looked good doing it. We scored heavily and the only reason the Hawks didn't is because they missed some easy shots at goal (which the Swans didn't - they didn't miss). Then, as the game progressed, it tightened up and the more physically mature team was able to work their way into the ascendancy by locking it in their half of the ground for long periods.
Unlike the Swans game, we fought it out better yesterday.

But in a game of small margins, there were a few moments that stood out:

Murphy missing everything when he snapped at goal late.
O'Brien not taking the time to have a proper shot at goal from deep in the pocket.
Walsh missing on the run after he intercepted the pass in defence.
SPS hand-balling back to Newman only for Wingard to intercept.
Two bad attempts to switch: In the 2nd (?) Jones took a mark on the half-back line and quickly switched to Weitering back in the goal-square, but there was no-one to switch to. Weitering got called to play on and went long down the line to a Hawks intercept. The other one where Jones got called to play on (because there was nothing happening up-field) and was harassed off his kick. Jones played well otherwise.
We bombed it long out of defence a lot late, but we barely took a contested mark all day.
We bombed it into attack late, but we barely took a contested mark all day.
We dominated when we ran the ball, but we ran out of run as the game went on.

Given where our team is at and the evenness of the contest and the competition, you need everything to go right to win the close-ones. Losing three players doesn't help. The umpiring 50/50s going against you doesn't help.

I'm frustrated by the loss, but realistic. We played very well early - as well as I can recall us playing. We're not the real deal yet, but it's exciting to see the team play and see what they could be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Is it the players or the coach who needs to take responsibility for the one way traffic in the third quarter ? Could moves have been made earlier? Wings rush back into D50? Different approach in the centre square? As good as the first half was the third quarter was completely insipid.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

verbs wrote:
So many goal highlights. Cuningham, Dow, Kreuzer, Curnow.

Yeah Dow's was an absolute ripper!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:43 am 
Ken Hunter

Rod Waddell wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

She is a terrible umpire, I said this after the Gold Coast game. Political correctness maybe the reason she gets games.
We really have had a tough draw to start the season. Have any other Victorian clubs travelled 3 times in the first 6 games? I doubt it.
6 interstate trips and a trip to Geelong leaves us with only 15 games in Melbourne. Shocking for memberships, I cancelled the away part of my membership this year for this reason.
Imagine if Collingwood got this type of draw, Eddie would be up in arms.
Yet the silence from our club is deafening.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

As heartbreaking as yesterday was, one thing we did far better was make hawks kick to a contest in dying minutes. In previous years we wouldn't man up properly allowing the opposition to chip it around and wind down the clock. We at least got that part right. Shame we didn't show a touch more composure once we got the ball back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:11 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

She is a terrible umpire, I said this after the Gold Coast game. Political correctness maybe the reason she gets games.
We really have had a tough draw to start the season. Have any other Victorian clubs travelled 3 times in the first 6 games? I doubt it.
6 interstate trips and a trip to Geelong leaves us with only 15 games in Melbourne. Shocking for memberships, I cancelled the away part of my membership this year for this reason.
Imagine if Collingwood got this type of draw, Eddie would be up in arms.
Yet the silence from our club is deafening.

Our run home is terrifying.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:26 am 
Ken Hunter

While I can see positives in the way we smashed them in the first quarter and consolidated in the second, I can't help but be miffed at the way we rallied hard - and effectively - in the last 5 minutes after having dropped our heads and let them kick out to a three goal lead earlier in the final quarter. As long as you're still standing, you have to fight for everything. That last quarter encapsulated everything about a club that has for too long been happy to fall back on excuses and settle for close losses. I see the usual "brave" and "gallant" clichés have been trotted out in the media but there was nothing brave about our performance, quite the opposite in fact.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Is it the players or the coach who needs to take responsibility for the one way traffic in the third quarter ? Could moves have been made earlier? Wings rush back into D50? Different approach in the centre square? As good as the first half was the third quarter was completely insipid.

Tend to think the coach could at least have organised a tag on J.O.M. (earlier).
I was worried Bolts could get intimidated by Clarkson. I wish we had been quicker to adjust and that Bolts had issued some tweaks of his own.
However the importance of St Simmo to our team was highlighted. I think preparing for him being out will fix that. Weiters is in top form.
Hopefully Newman will be right to go. Murphy should be the one to step up when things go awry but he seems to collapse under pressure. Unfortunate. Sam Pang was called 'the orchid' in his playing days apparently. Does Murph only thrive in perfect conditions too?
Charlie and maybe Willo to come in? Might need Philips too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:48 am 
Harry Vallence

Just a question and certainly not an excuse, but do the AFL ring the umps at half time and tell them that we are not allowed to win?

So far this year we are -3 free kicks in the first half (61-58) compared to -16 free kicks in second half (62-46)

Our opposition gets almost same amount of free kicks through the game and yet after half time we get donuts.

Non mark to jones and some missed frees in our forward 50 yesterday and we would be 3-3 rather than 1-5.

When we are good enough it just won't matter, we'll get the 4 points regardless of umps

Last edited by Steve_C7 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:48 am 
Bruce Doull

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019- ... -statement

Quote:
The Club is aware of a disgraceful comment made on social media following the Blues’ clash with the Hawks in Launceston on Sunday.
The Club can confirm the person involved is not a Club member, nor is in the Club’s database. This information has been passed on to the AFL integrity unit.
As a club, we absolutely condemn abuse and online trolling of any kind and this behaviour has no room in our game.
These comments were disgusting and do not hold any place in society. Our club will not stand for this behaviour and remains committed to holding such distasteful actions to account.

Not sure what it was about, only that it involved Roughead, so I can hazard a guess.

Sad reflection of some of our "supporters"

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:50 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Yeah well Roughead and every other survivor are heroes to me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:51 am 
Bruce Doull

Steve_C7 wrote:
Just a question and certainly not an excuse, but do the AFL ring the umps at half time and tell them that we are not allowed to win?

So far this year we are -3 free kicks in the first half (61-58) compared to -16 free kicks in second half (62-46)

Our opposition gets almost same amount of free kicks through the game and yet after half time we get donuts.

Non mark to jones and some missed frees in our forward 50 yesterday and we would be 3-3 rather than 1-5.

When we are go enough it just won't matter, we'll get the 4 points regardless of umps

We tend to get screwed over when it counts, but get the useless square-ups when the damage is done.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard opposition flogs quote the final free kick counts as some indicator that we're just whinging. It's telling though that costly calls against * warrant multiple pages in a newspaper, while our weekly rogering never gets a mention.

They key is to get ourselves to the point where biased umpiring is only an inconvenience, not the difference between winning and losing.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:51 am 
Harry Vallence

bluechampion wrote:
It reminded me of the Sydney game, actually, in that we played open, expansive footy early and looked good doing it. We scored heavily and the only reason the Hawks didn't is because they missed some easy shots at goal (which the Swans didn't - they didn't miss). Then, as the game progressed, it tightened up and the more physically mature team was able to work their way into the ascendancy by locking it in their half of the ground for long periods.
Unlike the Swans game, we fought it out better yesterday.

But in a game of small margins, there were a few moments that stood out:

Murphy missing everything when he snapped at goal late.
O'Brien not taking the time to have a proper shot at goal from deep in the pocket.
Walsh missing on the run after he intercepted the pass in defence.
SPS hand-balling back to Newman only for Wingard to intercept.
Two bad attempts to switch: In the 2nd (?) Jones took a mark on the half-back line and quickly switched to Weitering back in the goal-square, but there was no-one to switch to. Weitering got called to play on and went long down the line to a Hawks intercept. The other one where Jones got called to play on (because there was nothing happening up-field) and was harassed off his kick. Jones played well otherwise.
We bombed it long out of defence a lot late, but we barely took a contested mark all day.
We bombed it into attack late, but we barely took a contested mark all day.
We dominated when we ran the ball, but we ran out of run as the game went on.

Given where our team is at and the evenness of the contest and the competition, you need everything to go right to win the close-ones. Losing three players doesn't help. The umpiring 50/50s going against you doesn't help.

I'm frustrated by the loss, but realistic. We played very well early - as well as I can recall us playing. We're not the real deal yet, but it's exciting to see the team play and see what they could be.

I've pretty well stuck up for Murph over his career but that kick was absolute garbage (might have been 3rd quarter). He could have steadied things as the hawks were coming.

Could say a lot of things here but 2 quick comments ...

Must learn to never ever lose when 6 goals up (sh@t ourselves)
Once we learn the above we must learn how to come back if/when we find ourselves 6 goals down

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next