Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:53 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Terrific 1st quarter. Best footy we've played for years. Good 1st half. Surprisingly impressive final 10-15 minutes. Thought we were going to lose by 5 goals, given Hawthorn's dominance and our injuries.
Unbelievable 1st quarter from Kreuz.
Jones and Harry. SPS.
Another good game from Gibbons. Just a smart player.
Some exciting flashes from Cuningham.
Good 1st half from SOJ.

Cons:

Lost complete midfield control from halfway through the 2nd quarter to halfway through the last quarter. McEvoy got on top of Kreuzer after quarter time.
Injuries cost us. Our tall team couldn't afford the loss of 2 runners.
Couple of delayed shocking decisions in the last quarter. Umpires seemed to decide because a Hawthorn player was lying on the ground that an infringement must have been made.
Opposition blocking Jones in marking contests.
Some poor defensive efforts from Plowman in the 3rd quarter. Allowed his opponent to take uncontested marks, while he watched on.
Some poor defensive turnovers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Heavs wrote:
What's the point of Murphy, seriously?

Also is there any fear of someone giving Cripps a chop out? cauliflower was being held all day - someone go and belt howe couple of times in the contest and he'll soon let go.

Also, I know these guys are all colleagues now, but any chance one of our high marking forwards can give away a free kick or two by making people fear standing in a hole?

What’s missing at our club is ruthlessness, and the willingness to crunch the opposition to win a game. The Hawks had their line in the sand game, and god knows we need ours.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

so who'd we lose that game? kruez, simmo and newman?

they're some big outs if the old 2-3 weeks treatment from the med team.

random thoughts

the turning point really was simmo going off. we were up by 30 and in control.

possibly, bolton couldn't match up with clarkson after clarkson made his adjustments at half time.

harry didn't get a sniff after qtr-time.

I'm really liking Daisy. hope he goes around for a couple more seasons.

our future is pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

Dominator_7 wrote:
We are Brisbane last year.
Competitive but always going down in the close ones.
Positives was others stood up when Crippa was well held
Negatives: the 3rd term, Free kick Hawthorn is back, injuries again. We can’t catch a break

I was thinking more like Richmond 2016...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:03 pm 
formerly King Kenny

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
it really is a game of inches, when you are coming back from as far back as us.

1 point loss and a 5 point loss ... could very easily see us 3-3, but that is what we will have to learn from this year and why we are 1-5

i thought our first half was good, with an even contribution from across the board.

i thought our 3rd quarter was proably our worse this year (following closely by the 2nd quarter against the swans)

take those two quarters out, and its been an okay month of footy, with some real purple patches ..

a missed opporunity, no good playing a half of good footy, it needs to be 4 quarter effort

Simmo out second half, we just didn’t adapt in the third.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Don't tell me it's not between the ears
100% it is.
I have been saying it for years

They don't know how to win.
And it doesn't matter if we don't.

Gold Coast game was a disgrace
This was just as bad as Hawks are not good enough to come back from 33 points down.

But we let them. .

Unfortunatley your comments are irrevalent!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:06 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Clarkson let us do our thing for the first quarter and acted accordingly. Besides the result, its was a really great game. Wasn't boring, and we were in it until the dying seconds. We'll get there, but we're going to get there the hard way. We'll get no favors from the umpires that's a fact. We've got the makings of a really good team, no doubt about it. Can only improve week by week regardless of the win/lose ratio. For the first time in a LONG time, I'm quietly pleased with our prospects.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sydney Blue wrote:
Rexy wrote:
100% it is.

This was just as bad as Hawks are not good enough to come back from 33 points down.

But we let them.

The GC game was 10X worse than this one. We ran out of legs against a much more experienced team today. We must come up against North next week. That's where the test is for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Trigger wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Rexy wrote:
100% it is.

But we let them. .

Unfortunatley your comments are irrevalent!!

Why is that Trigger because I speak the truth and you don't like it.

I was at a Swans game some years back and I told a few on this site that this club will never be any good until such time as all those associated with us tanking for Murphy Gibbs and Kruez are gone.

I would hate to say it but this must have been 6 to 8 years ago

You can not condone losing then suddenly expect to win at will.
Take a look at Melbourne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

idle wrote:
Clarkson let us do our thing for the first quarter and acted accordingly. Besides the result, its was a really great game. Wasn't boring, and we were in it until the dying seconds. We'll get there, but we're going to get there the hard way. We'll get no favors from the umpires that's a fact. We've got the makings of a really good team, no doubt about it. Can only improve week by week regardless of the win/lose ratio. For the first time in a LONG time, I'm quietly pleased with our prospects.

Once again idle, I love your optimism. Keep up the great work, it’s good for all of us :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

Dominator_7 wrote:
Negatives: the 3rd term, Free kick Hawthorn is back, injuries again. We can’t catch a break

We were competitive like this in 2017 too winning 6 but also leading 7 times in last qtrs before losing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:19 pm 
Bob Chitty

jim wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:

We were competitive like this in 2017 too winning 6 but also leading 7 times in last qtrs before losing.

The difference is we played above ourselves in 2017. We couldn’t have played any better. This year we have plenty of progress still to make.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crippa wrote:
jim wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:

The difference is we played above ourselves in 2017. We couldn’t have played any better. This year we have plenty of progress still to make.
Funny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:22 pm 
Ken Hands

Donstuie wrote:
I don’t care about the first half.
I don’t care about the umpires.
I don’t care about the injuries.
I don’t care about the coaching.

What matters to me is that we again had an opportunity to evolve a little more, to elevate ourselves above opposition we should be dispatching, and we again @#$%&! blew it. Outside of Richmond and Port, every opposition has been beatable, and we’ve got one W to show for it.

I said this after the Sydney and GC games, and I’ll say it again. We’re not going anywhere until we put teams like this away. I’m past green shoots, “moments of brilliance”, and “if <player> wasn’t injured we’d have won”.

This team needs to rise above this shit and start winning 50/50 games. That’s what the Lions are doing, that’s what the Saints are doing. They’re put in these situations and are finding a way. Meanwhile our guys continue to back down when the challenge is made. Only exception was against a team mentally weaker again.

I don’t doubt they’re giving their all and leaving nothing left, but there’s not an ounce of ruthlessness in this team, and even mid-table opposition can sense our moment of weakness and exploit it. Oppositions know when they start to push us around, we back off. This again comes from our introverted senior leadership and filters down.

This game was lost upstairs, and the moment of bathwater-consumption was the red rag to the bull. Until they pull their heads out of their arses and demand ruthlessness on days like today, they’ll have to continue suckling on green shoots.

Norf next week presents a similar challenge to today, and a perfect opportunity to see if we’re capable of learning. They’re shithouse but physically they’re more developed, and have been put under the pump in da meedya. They will throw everything at us and superior ability alone won’t get us over the line. Ruthlessness, not backing down and not accepting any outside excuses are what will win us next week.

At some point, encouragement awards aren’t going to cut it anymore. Get the @#$%&! job done.

/Rant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:22 pm 
Robert Walls

A fit Kruezer plays the last 7-10 minutes and we win...for flowering sure!!

Injuries are part of the package but to have 1 rotation for half the last qtr with your general in the middle and your general down back missing is heartbreaking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:24 pm 
Bob Chitty

Braithy wrote:
so who'd we lose that game? kruez, simmo and newman?

they're some big outs if the old 2-3 weeks treatment from the med team.

random thoughts

the turning point really was simmo going off. we were up by 30 and in control.

possibly, bolton couldn't match up with clarkson after clarkson made his adjustments at half time.

harry didn't get a sniff after qtr-time.

I'm really liking Daisy. hope he goes around for a couple more seasons.

our future is pretty good.

This. The Simmo and Kruse losses both hurt us.

Soon we will be able to cover a key loss or two during a game but right now it makes the didfeeence.

So much to enjoy today. So much to look forward to. But god it hurts tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

MIL wrote:
Heavs wrote:
What's the point of Murphy, seriously?

Also is there any fear of someone giving Cripps a chop out? cauliflower was being held all day - someone go and belt howe couple of times in the contest and he'll soon let go.

Also, I know these guys are all colleagues now, but any chance one of our high marking forwards can give away a free kick or two by making people fear standing in a hole?

What’s missing at our club is ruthlessness, and the willingness to crunch the opposition to win a game. The Hawks had their line in the sand game, and god knows we need ours.

Yeah, you don't go from multiple wooden spoons and a 2 win season to ruthless overnight. Hawks success came a long time after their line in the sand game. We're heading in the right direction though

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:51 pm 
Horrie Clover

Hawks had to win and they did. We can only dream of that sort of resolve and system, to watch how easily they took the game away from us was embarrassing for coach and players....again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

A lot to like, a lot to dislike. Disposal skills still god-awful way too often, we're getting there though. Still such a young team.

We're way too nice a side. More aggression, at the ball and at the opposition is needed, hopefully this too will come.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Stefchook wrote:
Cons:
Couple of delayed shocking decisions in the last quarter. Umpires seemed to decide because a Hawthorn player was lying on the ground that an infringement must have been made.

Absolutely - I was furious with that 50m given against Kreuzer in the last qtr.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next