Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:02 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:
my hot tip is; if we bring the same intensity as we did vee the dogs, we'll win. and win well.

... historically though, after a big win, we tend to come out flat and lay an egg. so this game will tell us lots about this group and if we really have evolved from the ratten days.

The intensity has been there in all the games. The difference is we took our chances and they didn't.
We need to kick straight again and continue with the run. With the increase in confidence last week, players were willing to run in numbers more instead of dropping back to a defensive position. That's why we had end to end goals. When players were confronted, they had release options to give the ball too.

Clarkson will have some form of thuggery planned for us. Cripps and SPS won't be allowed to get 50 possessions by half time. The forwards can expect a lot more physical contact than they got off the dogs. Personally, I think it's a physical and mental challenge that will be good for our players. They're getting games and pre-seasons under their belts and it's a good time to see who stands up and who is still off the pace.

i disagree with that one. that dog's game was our first full 4-quarter effort in nearly two seasons.

if we bring that same 4-quarter effort and intensity vee the hawks, we'll win. we have the cattle, and they're injured on a short turn-around. but, we'll need four full quarters to run them down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

I’m not confident at all about us winning but I expect a competitive showing. One win against a Dogs side who had a shocker doesn’t say “we’ve turned the corner” to me. If we play like we did in the 3rd quarter of last week’s game, the Hawks will cream us.

We’ve been competitive all year so I’m optimistic we’ll at least make a game of it. As BV said, it will be a nice little test for our boys. You can bet the Hawks will put us under more pressure than the Dogs did, plus it will be interesting to see how our players manage the psychology of coming off a win (not something they are used to!).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:
my hot tip is; if we bring the same intensity as we did vee the dogs, we'll win. and win well.

... historically though, after a big win, we tend to come out flat and lay an egg. so this game will tell us lots about this group and if we really have evolved from the ratten days.

The intensity has been there in all the games. The difference is we took our chances and they didn't.
We need to kick straight again and continue with the run. With the increase in confidence last week, players were willing to run in numbers more instead of dropping back to a defensive position. That's why we had end to end goals. When players were confronted, they had release options to give the ball too.

Clarkson will have some form of thuggery planned for us. Cripps and SPS won't be allowed to get 50 possessions by half time. The forwards can expect a lot more physical contact than they got off the dogs. Personally, I think it's a physical and mental challenge that will be good for our players. They're getting games and pre-seasons under their belts and it's a good time to see who stands up and who is still off the pace.

i disagree with that one. that dog's game was our first full 4-quarter effort in nearly two seasons.

if we bring that same 4-quarter effort and intensity vee the hawks, we'll win. we have the cattle, and they're injured on a short turn-around. but, we'll need four full quarters to run them down.

It was a 4 quarter effort last week in the sense that we won each quarter, but it was far from a complete performance IMO.

We weren’t flash at times last week, but the Dogs couldn’t capitalise while we took most of our chances. We did play some good footy last week, but then again I think we’ve played good footy at different times in every game this year so far.

I actually think we’ll need to play better than last week to knock off the Hawks. Beating the Hawks in Tassie is no easy task.

If we can settle our team over the next month or so, and have a decent run with injuries, I reckon the big scalps will come for us in the 2nd half of the year...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:35 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The last thing we need is doubt creeping back into the players' minds after last Sunday. We supporters can indulge in that if we must. :razz: :lol:

I hope the same approach is applied - back yourselves with first option - plenty of support on the outside - don't worry if you make a mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

4 quarter effort?
We dominated the first 10 minutes and after that, the Dogs had 24 Inside 50's to 16. They took more control of the game and their 1.7 was the only thing that kept us with a decent lead.
It's very rare for any club to control games for 4 quarters. No one has done it against us this season and we haven't done it.

Yes it was a good win but as others have said, there's still plenty of improvement to come. I have no doubt we're improving and our percentage in the 90's shows it. But it's not all or nothing depending on the score at the end of the game. There's incremental improvement but I have no doubt our accuracy last week was a key factor. I don't believe the players put in any extra effort to any other game this week. The efforts been very good all season.
Too many people are waiting to jump on the players and coaches if we slip up (As they have been previously) without dealing with the reality of incremental improvement.

Win = Extra effort v Loss=Lesser efforts is nonsense IMHO. There are many more factors that contribute to the results.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Development isn't linear.

Good point that no one has had control of all 4 quarters against us,
and, we haven't against our opponents either.

Winning is about doing a lot of things right and seize a lot of the moments that present.

We all knew if this classy group improved by 10% with good development, we'd be winning more games than losses.
IMO our percentage says we've improved 5%.

We are going to see improvements every week till the end of the year.
Last week was 10% improvement without Charlie Dock Willo and Pickett.

I feel we are going to win the arm wrestle against the Dawks.
Last week was a sign of where our desire and development are at.
Add Charlie and Cunners, and we should win against a bruised opponent by 24 points.

Harry Charlie Gov Silvagni Fish Cripps Walshy SPS Dow Murphy Gibbo Ed and even Levi are all recent goal kickers.
That's 13 goals. If any of the 3-4 above kick multiples, then there's are next 100 points and a win.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:29 pm 
Rod Ashman

In: David Cuningham, Charile Curnow, Jarrod Garlett, Matthew Kennedy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019- ... ards-named

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

Donstuie wrote:
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-04-25/extended-squad-classy-forwards-named

That’s a very painful way to receive the team news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Jez1966 wrote:

Good ins, hope Cuningham is right to go, he was so impressive in round one and the pre-season!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'd go Int of Simmo, Curnow, Cuners & Bam Bam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Oooh..very exciting possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:47 pm 
Bob Chitty

Jez1966 wrote:

Interesting - I would have thought Cuningham would come back via the seconds, reports on Garlett have been poor and Kennedy mixed. Thay are all named on the bench and may all miss, but the others on the bench are Casboult, who I think we have to have against the Hawks given we are not running a second ruckman and whose game wasn't bad last week, Polson who I think must be on the brink even with his teachers pet status, JSOS whose game I liked last week and would have been widely lauded had he kicked straight (a big if, I know) and Simpson who provides a much needed dose of experience. I suppose if one of Charlie or Cunners is fit enough then they come in for Polson, if both are ready perhaps Charlie in and Polson and Cunners in the 2s?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

ianh wrote:
Jez1966 wrote:

Interesting - I would have thought Cuningham would come back via the seconds, reports on Garlett have been poor and Kennedy mixed. Thay are all named on the bench and may all miss, but the others on the bench are Casboult, who I think we have to have against the Hawks given we are not running a second ruckman and whose game wasn't bad last week, Polson who I think must be on the brink even with his teachers pet status, JSOS whose game I liked last week and would have been widely lauded had he kicked straight (a big if, I know) and Simpson who provides a much needed dose of experience. I suppose if one of Charlie or Cunners is fit enough then they come in for Polson, if both are ready perhaps Charlie in and Polson and Cunners in the 2s?

Why would cunners come back through the 2s? He was our most dangerous small forward in JLT and close to our best player in round 1. His injury has prevented him training so hasn’t affected his fitness. Ready to go and a straight swap for Polson. The other selections are a bit harder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
I hope the same approach is applied.

Our approach has been substantially the same in every game this year.

Last edited by aboynamedsue on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:00 pm 
Robert Walls

jake_h03 wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but what about Charlie playing on a wing and replacing OBrien?

Worth a go

I think someone mentioned it after claiming Carrots should get the rising star nomination and suggesting we trade the hendo pick, oh, and we shoulda got Constable instead of O'Brien

EFA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:17 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

aboynamedsue wrote:
Rexy wrote:
I hope the same approach is applied.

Our approach has been substantially the same in every game this year.

oh .. ok then

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jake_h03 wrote:
ianh wrote:
Jez1966 wrote:

Why would cunners come back through the 2s? He was our most dangerous small forward in JLT and close to our best player in round 1. His injury has prevented him training so hasn’t affected his fitness. Ready to go and a straight swap for Polson. The other selections are a bit harder

I agree. Personally, I'm surprised to see O'Brien in the starting 18.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Charlie and Simpson are the only 2 on the extended bench not named in Northern Blues

Does this mean they are out or in

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sydney Blue wrote:
Charlie and Simpson are the only 2 on the extended bench not named in Northern Blues

Does this mean they are out or in

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In Simpson’s case it means he’s in
In Charlie’s case it depends how the knee is. If it comes up alright he’ll be in the seniors. If it doesn’t he’ll have another week off. He won’t play 2s

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next