Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Really,the bloke who is badly down on form is McGovern.Chuck him in the backline to regain touch...........will repay us in spades when he gets his act together.Highly talented player.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:17 pm 
Craig Bradley

Donstuie wrote:
Some BF chatter that Charlie out for Cuningham, and Sicily in doubt for Hawks.

I reckon this is on the money. Would be surprised if we messed with the balance of the side after last weeks performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

Garlett names in final Nbs team. Cuners not

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:56 pm 
Craig Bradley

emtwenty wrote:
Garlett names in final Nbs team. Cuners not

Kennedy?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

Kennedy named

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

They just said on the broadcast both Garlett and Cunners have been left out of the NBs team. So two travelling emergencies. I’d say they’re expecting Cunners in for Charlie and Garlett is the real emergency

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

Just read on FB that Charlie will not play and Cunners will.
Not official but likely the case.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:28 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

grrofunger wrote:
billc3 wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Weird bench.

Guessing Charlie in for Polson.

If not then Cuningham for Polson.

Can’t drop casboult or soj on last weeks game.
Correct... On both counts methinks ;)

Go Blues

nailed it
Just give Gro the cigar!

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:08 am 
Robert Walls

Interesting commentary from Malthouse. It reads like he’s finally got enough distance from his tenure at the Blues to write objectively.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 10ff836896

Mick Malthouse: Too much looking in the rearview mirror has dragged Carlton down; now is the future

Losing is a habit. And like all bad habits, it’s a hard one to break.

Just ask Carlton.

But last week the Blues did break it and today they have the chance to get on the winning wagon that’s headed towards to the top eight.

Having coached at four different clubs, I was always surprised at how different each one was — culturally, historically and habitually.

When I started at Carlton in 2013, perhaps in the same vein as Denis Pagan I was an outsider coming in, so I was instantly aware the Blues were a victim of their own history.

And I’m not talking about the cheating scandal that robbed the club of precious draft picks, because that can only be used as an excuse for so long.

I’m talking about the 15 VFL premierships, particularly in the late 1970s and ’80s and all the stars from that golden era. It defined Carlton. Those were the glory days.

There isn’t a problem with being proud of your history, premierships are to be celebrated and remembered. But history can be worn as a millstone or used as a catapult.

The issue I saw at Carlton was that there was a giant rear vision mirror in front of the club that needed to be turned the other way. Forwards. To the future.

This was a club that had won just one AFL premiership (1995) which had left them short of success in current terms. And yet, several stars of the past continued to command too big a voice and yield too much influence.

What this club was struggling with, was that when the “A” replaced the “V” the competition changed and the clubs needed to change with it.

The negativity at the Blues was discerning and at times overwhelming.

Players need to know there is a future, a new history to be made, instead of constantly being compared to past champions and past feats.

Luckily, there were some wonderful people at Carlton, Stephen Kernahan being one of them. Inspiring and positive, he helped begin to drag the board from the VFL era into the AFL era and way of thinking. His tenure as president was far too short.

Today, I believe, the evolution is on track and the Blues have a bright future.

Stephen Silvagni appears to be on top of what is required to take the team forward.

The age-old adage, “let the baker bake the bread”, is very true in list management. The coach has some say in the finality of who comes, who stays and who goes, when it comes to recruitment, but there are people in those jobs for a reason (recruitment manager and list manager) and it is their role to help find the talent and find the room in the salary cap to keep them.

Too often in the past few years the club has preached “patience” and “green shoots”. There has been and will be younger sides than Carlton. There is no point picking young players and then lamenting their inexperience.

In last week’s win against the Western Bulldogs, the Blues were on average a year older than their opponents. Today against Hawthorn they will be a year younger.

But in reality, age doesn’t matter.

The Carlton side that won last week had nothing to do with youth and everything to do with the balance of the team.

Plus 12 first-round draft picks in a team is a sign of quality in anyone’s book.

Matthew Kreuzer, at almost 30, is the Sherman tank of the team. Quietly spoken, but a wonderful on-field leader, he makes a massive difference in any game.

I was fortunate to have him up and running in my first season at the Blues before he broke his foot and remained sidelined for the rest of my time there.

His absence was like an abyss within the team.

Patrick Cripps is the epitome of what you want at a club as a leader and a player, and it was evident when he was first drafted. Cousin to one of my all-time favourite players, Chris Mainwaring, above all else Cripps has integrity.

He will become a warrior, if at 24, he isn’t already in the same class as Joel Selwood, Jack Ziebell and Sydney’s Josh Kennedy.

Alongside teens Sam Walsh — who has all the attributes of an outstanding person and player — and Paddy Dow, there is the potential to form one of the most formidable midfields in the league.

There is some fantastic talent forward and back, too. Defenders Jacob Weitering, Caleb Marchbank, Lachie Plowman, Nic Newman and Liam Jones, who has been almost unbeatable this season.

Forwards Mitch McGovern, Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay, who kicked four last week and will have his ups and downs, but will learn along the way.

Kade Simpson, Marc Murphy and Dale Thomas, all in their 30s, add terrific value.

Balance.

You pick to win. And win they did, by completely dismantling the Bulldogs and kicking more than 100 points in a game for the first time in almost three years.

Another win today could sling Carlton into genuine contention for the top eight.

Coach Brendon Bolton wears his heart on his sleeve and you can tell he has the players playing for him. Constant defeat and a constant struggle to stay afloat takes an enormous toll on you. I’ve been there.

But a win would have given him some respite. The shackles come off and he would feel uninhibited going forward. He certainly would have slept better.

It is as important for Carlton to have broken the ugliness of losing, as it is to break the umbilical cord of the past and become the club it wants to be in the future.

That can start against a proud Hawthorn team today.

With so many inconsistent teams and movement up and down the ladder, the Blues and Hawks may very well be playing off for the same spot in the eight.

Except the Blues are on the up with a talented team and the Hawks have plateaued with ageing stars.

There will still be tension in the build up, moves to be made, and a reliance on the systems and senior players to promote the game structure during the four quarters for moves that can’t be made (without a runner on tap).

But there will be positivity and hope in the Blues’ rooms as well today.

At the start of the season I predicted that Carlton would be close to the eight and I did so for a reason. The Blues are a good team, with a proud history, now in a car pointed in the right direction — today and beyond.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:04 am 
Rod Ashman

I hope we continue on from last week and when required play fast free flowing footy. Last week we ran in waves which provided options for the player with the ball. Gibbons for example playing further up the ground provided an out for players at times when they were being pressured. If we play slow football, kicking up the lines the Hawks will hurt us on the rebound. They cover space well and are well coached, we need to get them on the outside and make them chase us, don't allow them to set up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Malthouse article.
Well that made me sick. Why did I read it? Ughhh. Egomaniac...blame blame blame..read through the cracks. He hasn't changed. Same old bitter over rated hack for mine. Yeah.. some good bits at the end after he stabbed the club 20 times...even then it is about him and how he predicted we'd get close to the 8.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue4ever wrote:
I hope we continue on from last week and when required play fast free flowing footy. Last week we ran in waves which provided options for the player with the ball. Gibbons for example playing further up the ground provided an out for players at times when they were being pressured. If we play slow football, kicking up the lines the Hawks will hurt us on the rebound. They cover space well and are well coached, we need to get them on the outside and make them chase us, don't allow them to set up.

I think there is reason to worry re Bolts on this one. It would be only natural to get nervous against the old boss and mentor and to want to win. He may coach an ultra defensive game but let's hope he doesn't. The other side of it is Clarkson wanting badly to win this. They may play 'low'to confound our talls.
Still these are just worries and hopefully we get a great game.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:19 am 
Rod Ashman

bluegirl72 wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:

I think there is reason to worry re Bolts on this one. It would be only natural to get nervous against the old boss and mentor and to want to win. He may coach an ultra defensive game but let's hope he doesn't. The other side of it is Clarkson wanting badly to win this. They may play 'low'to confound our talls.
Still these are just worries and hopefully we get a great game.

True BG, forgot about the history between Bolts and Clarkson. Also forgot to mention that I would expect Walsh to get some close "Attention" today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:26 am 
Ken Hunter

bluegirl72 wrote:
Malthouse article.
Well that made me sick. Why did I read it? Ughhh. Egomaniac...blame blame blame..read through the cracks. He hasn't changd. Same old bitter over rated hack for mine. Yeah.. some good bits at the end after he stabbed the club 20 times...even then it is about him and how he predicted we'd get close to the 8.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

I opened up the paper and saw his article. I refused to read it, I will probably just get angry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Good call kezza.
Blue4ever. They had better not. :mad:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:14 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Good piece from MM.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
Good piece from MM.

Agreed....and Blues by 23 today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:38 am 
Harry Vallence

Mickstar wrote:
Really,the bloke who is badly down on form is McGovern.Chuck him in the backline to regain touch...........will repay us in spades when he gets his act together.Highly talented player.

Spot on

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:40 am 
Rod Ashman

DocSherrin III wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Good piece from MM.

Agreed....and Blues by 23 today.

fingers crossed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:14 am 
Craig Bradley

bmaurizio wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Spot on

Nah don’t want to mess with a settled backline that is already top heavy. If you want him to get his hands on the footy let him hunt it up on the wings

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next