Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:11 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
“It’s never as good as it seems, it’s never as bad as it seems”.

It was obviously nice to get a win, but my perspective on the team was exactly the same as I left Marvel Stadium today as it was when I was leaving Metricon Stadium last Sunday. We are a burgeoning team, showing excellent endeavour, but still have a long way to go. Things worked out for us today, they didn’t last week.

Those posters who ripped shreds through the club last week and are happy tonight need to remember that we had exactly the same coaches, the same recruiting staff and (mostly) the same players today as we did last week; they didn’t try any more or less this week; there was no radically different game style this week.

A developing team’s ability to execute from week to week will vary, depending on various factors (including what the opposition do). What we cannot deviate from (and, IMO, haven’t this season so far) is to give 100% each week. The wins will come if we keep working hard and the team is allowed to settle (ie. some luck with injury is required).

I will join in the weeping & gnashing of teeth if we become uncompetitive but the reaction (by some) to a 2 point loss last week was OTT. I will be disappointed if we lose to Hawthorn, but as long as I can see improvement building (which I did at the GC game last week) - and the difference between our best and worst becomes progressively smaller and smaller - I will not be savaging the club because I understand the situation we’re in.

Can’t agree. We played a more structured forward line with KP players playing deeper and coming up towards the ball. We had a taller forward line today with SOJ vs Charlie. Our midfield delivery looked for the hit up lead better. Our ruckman dominated and gave us a clear advantage form stoppages.

This.
From the first second we looked more attacking and more able to deliver the footy to a lead up target.
last week and before that, apart from snippets where we saw what they can do when they are allowed, it has been down the line to a contest, long bomb to the F50 and repeat ad nauseum.
Other than that bit, I agree with ABNS.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:53 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Our tackle count was way down. Less defensive focus resulting in more (and more damaging) possessions for many of the mids?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:09 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Da da da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aboynamedsue wrote:

It was obviously nice to get a win, but my perspective on the team was exactly the same as I left Marvel Stadium today as it was when I was leaving Metricon Stadium last Sunday. We are a burgeoning team, showing excellent endeavour, but still have a long way to go. Things worked out for us today, they didn’t last week.

Those posters who ripped shreds through the club last week and are happy tonight need to remember that we had exactly the same coaches, the same recruiting staff and (mostly) the same players today as we did last week; they didn’t try any more or less this week; there was no radically different game style this week.

A developing team’s ability to execute from week to week will vary, depending on various factors (including what the opposition do). What we cannot deviate from (and, IMO, haven’t this season so far) is to give 100% each week. The wins will come if we keep working hard and the team is allowed to settle (ie. some luck with injury is required).

I will join in the weeping & gnashing of teeth if we become uncompetitive but the reaction (by some) to a 2 point loss last week was OTT. I will be disappointed if we lose to Hawthorn, but as long as I can see improvement building (which I did at the GC game last week) - and the difference between our best and worst becomes progressively smaller and smaller - I will not be savaging the club because I understand the situation we’re in.

good points.

I didn't get to see the dog's game, only extended highlihts which is a little hard to read ... but did we play faster and more direct yday?

seems like the cohesion from mids to forwards was like night and day from the suns game. mids holding the ball longer (rather than hot potato) and lowering their eyes and picking a target. and right there, that's made possible bcos forwards were leading to the ball (they seemed much less stagnant than the suns game?)

hard to say from highlights and not watching the whole game looked like little tweaks to the structure & philosophy with players executing the gameplan much better.

either way ... winning 4 quarters of football, winning by more than 40 points and cracking the ton on the siren (not that the 100 point barrier is crucial to our needs) is the kind of day we haven't experienced in a long long time.

watching the players bounce back from the suns game was great. the next test is, how do they back up against the hawks. today will lose it's sheen if we revert back to the old carlton and take next week off after a big, big win.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:28 am 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Can’t agree. We played a more structured forward line with KP players playing deeper and coming up towards the ball. We had a taller forward line today with SOJ vs Charlie. Our midfield delivery looked for the hit up lead better. Our ruckman dominated and gave us a clear advantage form stoppages.

I agree about Kreuzer having an influence, but otherwise I would say we played yesterday like we tried to play last week. GC were harder to play against and yesterday we were cleaner with our ball use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:37 am 
Geoff Southby

Braithy wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

good points.

I didn't get to see the dog's game, only extended highlihts which is a little hard to read ... but did we play faster and more direct yday?

seems like the cohesion from mids to forwards was like night and day from the suns game. mids holding the ball longer (rather than hot potato) and lowering their eyes and picking a target. and right there, that's made possible bcos forwards were leading to the ball (they seemed much less stagnant than the suns game?)

hard to say from highlights and not watching the whole game looked like little tweaks to the structure & philosophy with players executing the gameplan much better.

either way ... winning 4 quarters of football, winning by more than 40 points and cracking the ton on the siren (not that the 100 point barrier is crucial to our needs) is the kind of day we haven't experienced in a long long time.

watching the players bounce back from the suns game was great. the next test is, how do they back up against the hawks. today will lose it's sheen if we revert back to the old carlton and take next week off after a big, big win.

I don’t think we played faster yesterday. I reckon we were better at choosing when to slow down and when to break quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hard to say abns. The skills were up the absolute 'not today...this is ours' mindset toward the doggies..very good handball and for the most part kicking..it seemed the will to go fast and direct was increased also. Whether the addition of K. glued it all together...the use of Gibbo further down field..(excellent) The all round capacity for talls marking well..the breakout games of SPS and Hazzah..
Who bloody knows!
Braithy
Get your free month of Kayo and watch it. Get back to us. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:14 am 
Geoff Southby

We had fewer handpasses and more kicks. I don’t think we played quicker necessarily. I think we played on at the right times and were patient (chipped it around until we found an opening) at the right times. You always look more attacking when you win the clearances and your mids and forwards connect. Kicking straight helps too!

Dogs had more inside 50s and less scoring shots, so that says to me that our backline was very good again too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Oh yeah. We have an outstanding cohesive group down back. Can't speak highly enough of Weiters this year. There was one tiny passage of play I noticed on replay...
Simmo...absolute killer effort where he tackled scrambled scrapped...gave a gazillion percent. We are so fortunate to have a leader like that showing how to bleed blue. And he is not the only one giving his all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I agree about Kreuzer having an influence, but otherwise I would say we played yesterday like we tried to play last week. GC were harder to play against and yesterday we were cleaner with our ball use.

I agree with you abns

Bolton said at the Presser Harry led to the ball and it paid off. Same was expected last week and the week before that.

Our midfield linked better, showed composure and excellent connection.

Dunno about Kreuzer's impact. You'd have to look at what he did closely with the ground ball. I thought English who had been thrashed in the ruck against Grundy won many of the centre ball ups.
Kreuzer is not a marking forward with his stray kicking and hard hands.

I would say Kreuzer is a spiritual leader.

We connected as a team better than previous weeks, and if you look at the results the margin between us and the opposition has been declining on a weekly basis till this break out.

Worked harder for longer. See Boltons presser.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Amazing 4 quarter effort.

I expected the boys to come out breathing fire, and it could have gone either way.
I still put money on the Bluebaggers.

Rewards for effort.

So glad SPS showed the footy world, but moreso his Carlton detractors of his dinky licking. Well he did both. The reason he does thread the eye of a needle with dinky kicks is because he's just about the only one in the comp who can: he sees things others don't.

Yesterday was coming of age for SPS.

Fisher was tenacious and hard to stop. Played like a Bulldog midfielder circa 2016.

Dow is amazing for a 21yo. He just has to tidy up his kicking when fatigued ... and he will... and he will be a bonafide star.

Walsh is the best 1st year player ever. He breaks records every week. Bairstow didnt get 24 kicks in his first 5 games. Only Walshy has.

Cripps, SPS, Dow, Fisher, Walsh ... our No 1 target in the next year or 2 should be a ruckman who can dominate centre bounces like a Grundy or Gawn: that's what these guys deserve. Kreuzer is close to the end of his career where these mids are just getting started.

Imagine when we can throw a more mature Stocker, Cuningham, Setterfield with a Coniglio type through the midfield. Well, that's coming too.

Carlton are building towards sustainable success: a long term view.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:47 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Hi Bondi. Dow is actually still a teenager

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Nah. Little change to structure. We won the stoppages so our forwards weren't rolling up as much to give the link from defence.
If you're winning it out of the middle, your forwards can afford to stay deeper.
As ABNS stated, things are never as bad as the seem, and never as good as they seem. In the 3rd quarter the Bulldogs had more scoring shots and more inside 50's. Had they taken their chances and us not, the same whingers would have been bagging the coach and the game plan.
The only difference is we applied scoreboard pressure this week. The game plan was the same as its been in every other game with tweaks in match ups and strategies.

We've been good in every game this season but finishing and decision making hurt us. Yesterday we won the contested footy which gave us time and space to use the ball better.
The extra pressure applied to Libba, Daniel and Hunter paid dividends and once again the defence was excellent.
Nothing from the Plowman haters this week?
Jones was exceptional against Naughtin. Naughtin is 3rd in the AFL for contested marks and he didn't get his first kick until well into the third quarter.

Well done to Bolts and the players. Reward for effort but there's still work to be done. A percentage in the mid 90s however shows how far we've come

Last edited by Blue Vain on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:00 am 
Harry Vallence

Life is just better the morning after a win

have a great day everyone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:02 am 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
We had fewer handpasses and more kicks. I don’t think we played quicker necessarily. I think we played on at the right times and were patient (chipped it around until we found an opening) at the right times. You always look more attacking when you win the clearances and your mids and forwards connect. Kicking straight helps too!

Dogs had more inside 50s and less scoring shots, so that says to me that our backline was very good again too.

Exactly, it baffles me that people think we changed the whole game plan in one week. They seem to forget that the game plan has been trained all summer and it takes time to implement. So rather than just looking on the surface like most of the "anti Bolton" campaigners do, the obvious changes to me yesterday were:
1. Kreuzer in the ruck - Our mids could actually start with the confidence to attack from the bounce.
2. Execution - The players started to hit their targets, didn't fumble as much and with this confidence they started to take more risks.
3. Composure - As per Bolton presser last week, they did this and with the better execution they actually chipped around until they could hit the forwards on the chest.
4. Forwards - Finally the talls started to lead properly and because they got better delivery, it worked.

It was good to see the players finally starting to click together and get a result, even though it was against a pretty ordinary outfit. The big test will be against the Hawks on a windy ground.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Bottom 6 players are always a window of the ability of a team and where improvement can come from in the future. This is what I look at after a game:

Possessions:

Polson 4
LOB 7
Gov 9
Levi 11....and 3 goals

One Percenters:

Polson 0
Murphy 0
Ed 0

Fantasy Points:

Polson 16
Jones 31... but a rock in defense
LOB 37
Gov 38
Weiter 43 ... but a rock in defense
Ed 53

Disposal Efficiency:

Gov 55%
Ed 56%
Weitering 63%
Dow 64%
Gibbons 66%

Contested Possessions

Polson 0
LOB 2
Gov 2
Gibbons 2
Thomas 2 ... he smashes opponents

Pressure on spots

Polson and LOB are vulnerable
Ed needs to work harder to retain his spot.
Gov needs to do more of everything

Other than that, getting fitter and improving disposal efficiency and we are well and truly on our way to fight for flags in the next year or two.

Players missing from Best 22 putting pressure on the above:

Docherty ... season
Charlie ... next week
Setterfield ... one week
Williamson ... ramping up
Pickett ... months?

Developing

DeKoning ... IMO will become our 1st or 2nd ruckman when Kreuzer and Casboult are gone.
Goddard ... being developed to take over from Jones
Macreadie
Stocker ... he's close to selection
Schumacher

Knocking on the door in the NB's

Garlett
Kennedy

Come season's end, Carlton FC will be a destination club.

Last edited by bondiblue on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:06 am 
Harry Vallence

I thought we were a real chance against Gold Coast, and this week I was obviously less convinced, but felt they had reached a tipping point.

The vision of Daisy, in particular, and the shattered team after the game last week spoke volumes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the club had a robust discussion during the week and draw a line in the sand to say "ENOUGH!!"

We grew as a team enormously yesterday...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:06 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Looks like last week was a tipping point for the club. Apparently Cripps challenged the players. Proud of him, and proud of the players. Proud of the club. Hopefully it's upwards and onwards now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
Hi Bondi. Dow is actually still a teenager

FMD. I did know that.
Thanks verbs. 19 yo.

He plays beyond his years.
He is already a contested beast with speed.
He and Stocker and going to be hard to stop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Players who played yesterday and were drafted/traded by SOS in last 3 years:

Marchbank
Plowman
Weitering
Newman
Walsh
SPS
Dow
Fisher
Charlie (pulled out last minute)
Harry
OBrien
Polson
Gibbons
McGovern

Players who played yesterday and were not selected by SOS in the last 3 years:

Cripps 24 yo
Jones 28yo
Thomas 32 yo
Kreuzer 30 yo
Casboult (last minute change) 29 yo
Simpson 35 yo
Ed 30 yo
Murphy 32 yo

Silvagni 22 yo was not selected by SOS.

So far so good.

Players SOS has selected but not playing yesterday:

Setterfield 21 yo
Picket 23 yo
De Koning 20 yo
Kennedy 22 yo
Schumacher 20 yo
Macreadie 21 yo
Williamson 21 yo
Stocker 19 yo
Garlett 23 yo
Lang 24 yo
Fasolo 27 yo
Goddard 23 yo
ODwyer 19 yo

Some good players developing and will be pushing for selection.

The main message here is that it is an extremely young developing list. Only 8 seasoned campaigners before SOS played yesterday and of those Casboult was a last minute call up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next