Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:41 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Franc de Borges wrote:
Surely you jest. Harry's our most dangerous forward. Charlie should be further up the ground where his athleticism and field kicking will actually benefit us.

If we can spare the towering forward presence of Gibbons it might be handy to play a midfielder in the midfield.

We need to change something. My feeling is Curnow will be more dangerous being the main man. I also mentioned that i would like us to try a different system going forward.
More press action due to more nimble players. A more nimble team defense that causes more turnovers and then we take off with it with dash.

I reckon Curnow and Mclovin would suit that better.

This is what i would do if i was Bolts and wanted to save my job.

Ever since he arrived he has played 1 or 2 talls too many. On top of a defense that usually had 1 tall too many. I originally thought he did this as a subtle tank tactic but now it seems it was what he considered a game changer. He got that so wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

If we're going to play to a contest along the boundary then why wouldn't you play Charlie and Harry as high half forwards/wings with Gov playing deep forward or leading out from the goal square.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:21 pm 
Rod McGregor

It's only too many tall players if they're all lumped in the same spot or are crap footballers. Harry and Gov are forwards only. Charlie is capable of playing up the ground. All three are too good to leave out.

Playing both Lobbe and Casboult last week was the decision that confirmed to me that he doesn't know what he's doing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Franc de Borges wrote:
Playing both Lobbe and Casboult last week was the decision that confirmed to me that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Perhaps with the new 666 rule, he doesn't have faith in the one ruckman and doesn't want to rob our forward line of Harry.

Harry is a good contested mark, especially when he's leading to the ball.

Harry should be near the goals with a Gibbons at his feet. The rest of the tall forwards, well Gov is a marking medium and Charlie a very mobile KP.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:16 pm 
Rod McGregor

If you don't have confidence in either of the two available, it's not a great idea to play both of them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Out: Casboult, Lobbe, Setterfield, O’Brien/Gibbons
In: Kreuzer (or Phillips), Silvagni, Kennedy, Cuningham

Kreuzer plays better as a lone ruckman and we’re too tall if we go with the 3 tall forwards and a second ruckman. Harry can relief for 10% of the game, or even Jones with Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman still down back.

Silvagni in for the second ruckman to provide a more mobile forward option and another midfield rotation if needed.

Kennedy a like for like replacement for Setterfield. Should be fitter and find more of the footy than Setters to help Cripps out.

Cuningham straight in if he’s ready. We need pace and good skills. He has both. Toss of the coin who goes out for him between Gibbons and O’Brien.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm 
Ken Hands

Harry is useless in the ruck. Plenty of talk about Dow and McGovern making bad errors in the last bit of last week’s game, but there was also an insipid effort from Harry in a ruck contest, let the ball out the back way too easily and GC ran onto it and got it to their forward line and the rest is history.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

ferdinand wrote:
Harry is useless in the ruck. Plenty of talk about Dow and McGovern making bad errors in the last bit of last week’s game, but there was also an insipid effort from Harry in a ruck contest, let the ball out the back way too easily and GC ran onto it and got it to their forward line and the rest is history.

Good around the ground. We can't play two rucks with 3 tall forwards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

jim wrote:
ferdinand wrote:

This. If we’re not prepared to play In the ruck Harry for 10-15% of the game we have to drop one of him, McGovern or Charlie. Ain’t gonna happen. I’d take Harry’s poor ruckwork for a few minutes a quarter over having a top heavy team who can’t spread, can’t carry the footy and can’t apply forward pressure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

Surely this has to be our line in the sand game.

Agree with others who’ve predicted Kruezer, Kennedy & SOJ in for Lobbe, Setterfield & Levi.

Btw, I think Casboult was ok but we all know that Curnow, H & McGovern are our future so they get first crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 pm 
Robert Walls

jake_h03 wrote:
jim wrote:
ferdinand wrote:

This. If we’re not prepared to play In the ruck Harry for 10-15% of the game we have to drop one of him, McGovern or Charlie. Ain’t gonna happen. I’d take Harry’s poor ruckwork for a few minutes a quarter over having a top heavy team who can’t spread, can’t carry the footy and can’t apply forward pressure

Charlie is a midfielder as much as he is a fwd. Put him on the wing. Let the boy run. End of story

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:55 am 
Geoff Southby

" Let the sins of the fathers be visited upon there sons ".......Yeah,thats you Libba I'm talking' about.Get Ed off that hff and get him back to his old caper of tagging.I"d be telling' him to follow Libba all day and dish out the treatment Libba's old man used to dish out.Dont leave him alone,give him hell nonstop.Niggle the shit out of him.Reckon he would crack coz he aint half as tough as his old man............Next,i would get Charlie to sit on Bont.Run with him all day.He has the motor to do it.........and the other one is let Paddy run with Lachine Hunter.Hunter kills us every day of the week.Master of getting on the outside and getting the easy ball.Paddy needs to get more of the ball and Hunter will surely lead him to it.Paddy has a heap of upside and i reckon a run with roll would be ideal just to break it up for him.Something different.This kid is gonna make it big time,just needs a bit of variation in his development..........of course that leaves that majestic player Joel Macrae but i reckon if we can cut out three of the four prime movers the Dogs will collapse.They aint anything special...................

The Carlton Football Club...............Now Always Forever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 am 
Bruce Doull

Beautiful stuff Micksta....

and quite possibly the greatest opening
sentence in TC history...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:54 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
" Let the sins of the fathers be visited upon there sons ".......Yeah,thats you Libba I'm talking' about.Get Ed off that hff and get him back to his old caper of tagging.I"d be telling' him to follow Libba all day and dish out the treatment Libba's old man used to dish out.Dont leave him alone,give him hell nonstop.Niggle the shit out of him.Reckon he would crack coz he aint half as tough as his old man............Next,i would get Charlie to sit on Bont.Run with him all day.He has the motor to do it.........and the other one is let Paddy run with Lachine Hunter.Hunter kills us every day of the week.Master of getting on the outside and getting the easy ball.Paddy needs to get more of the ball and Hunter will surely lead him to it.Paddy has a heap of upside and i reckon a run with roll would be ideal just to break it up for him.Something different.This kid is gonna make it big time,just needs a bit of variation in his development..........of course that leaves that majestic player Joel Macrae but i reckon if we can cut out three of the four prime movers the Dogs will collapse.They aint anything special...................

The Carlton Football Club...............Now Always Forever.

Nice Mick but I wouldn't waste Dow on Hunter. Dow is a ball winner on the inside and we don't have enough of them. I'd rather we play Fisher on Hunter or leave Gibbons in the side and give him the job. Dow had 4 centre clearances last week. Our next best is SPS with 2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 am 
Harry Vallence

verbs wrote:
Bontempelli, McCrae, Hunter, Daniel. All ball magnets.

Ed must sit on Bont. Then we need to work out who nullifies the other 3.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:44 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rod Waddell wrote:
verbs wrote:

I reckon Ed has a forward role this week ...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:
verbs wrote:

That is what is killing E Curnow.. Midfielder, tagger, he is trying as always but is not a small forward.

Gibbons was played higher up the field last week and immediately started to get possessions. Strange when players are put in their natural positions and start to get the ball.

How do we tell the MC about where to play the players ....

Interesting selections I think this week.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:
verbs wrote:

That is what is killing E Curnow.. Midfielder, tagger, he is trying as always but is not a small forward.

Gibbons was played higher up the field last week and immediately started to get possessions. Strange when players are put in their natural positions and start to get the ball.

How do we tell the MC about where to play the players ....

Interesting selections I think this week.

Who do you play as the small forwards? Betts? Jeff Garlett?
I'm sure if they had suitable small forwards, everyone would be happily played in their best positions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:24 pm 
John James

jim wrote:

spot on Jim. It really is basic stuff. We can't select a side that is that tall and cumbersome like last week. We lost that game at the selection table!
Too bad for Harry really - he will just have to provide a chop out for the 10-20% of game time as needed. We still need to bolster the midfield. Hopefully Kennedy, Silvagni and Cuningham are available and selected.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

marciblues wrote:
jim wrote:

spot on Jim. It really is basic stuff. We can't select a side that is that tall and cumbersome like last week. We lost that game at the selection table!
Too bad for Harry really - he will just have to provide a chop out for the 10-20% of game time as needed. We still need to bolster the midfield. Hopefully Kennedy, Silvagni and Cuningham are available and selected.

what changes would you have made?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next