Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 am 
Harry Vallence

bluedog wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
One of the most (of many) disappointing things today was the total lack of leadership and composure from our senior players.

Murphy, Thomas, E Curnow, Simpson, Casboult - Is it any wonder our team is filled with timid, introverted kids who make poor decisions and look devoid of confidence?

Thomas, I think, is showing good leadership and excellent effort.

Thought Weitering addressing the players on the ground after the game was an interesting/ good sign.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 am 
Wayne Johnston

And pick 1 priority pick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 am 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
One of the most (of many) disappointing things today was the total lack of leadership and composure from our senior players.

Murphy, Thomas, E Curnow, Simpson, Casboult - Is it any wonder our team is filled with timid, introverted kids who make poor decisions and look devoid of confidence?

The other clubs in the cellar with us have their experienced players setting the example for the next generation to follow. The final minutes in particular showed the contrast between both sides today.

Cripps, Weitering, Harry, SPS et al - You need to stop relying on these guys to lead the way, and take the @#$%&! horns yourself.

I didn't get that. I thought Thomas, Murphy, Simmo and Ed were doing all they could.

Nobody in that side knows what they're supposed to be doing. That's the problem and has been for over 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:35 am 
Rod Ashman

My kingdom for a hollow win over another gut wrenching defeat!
Suns fans wouldn’t be too disappointed they won.
Being level on points with da Crows would nice.

We’re getting wind burn as the sides around us - St Kilda, Suns, Lions - go whooshing past.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 am 
John Nicholls

club29 wrote:
And pick 1 priority pick.

Dreaming.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 am 
Harry Vallence

Silvagni, write on the blackboard one hundred times. "I will no longer draft players who are deficient in kicking skills, I will also no longer recruit mediocre list cloggers from other clubs".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

I actually thought we had some very good patches of footy yesterday.We completely dominated the third quarter and should have piled on the goals and had it sown up by three quarter time.................anyhow,our backline was superb as usual.I"ll go with that oldie you build from the back...........BUT.....what the eff is going on not with our forward line but our entries into the forward line.Have our midfielders not heard about holding onto the ball and waiting or even transferring play to the open side.You could see we just continued to burn our petrol tickets.You only get so many......................Anyhow,i believe we must and can win two out of our next three games.I actually believe we can get the Dogs,North and the Hawks.................Sorry Bolts,if we cannot achieve that then a change is inevitable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluedog wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Thomas, I think, is showing good leadership and excellent effort.

Amongst the fumbles just prior to the winning goal, there was one from Simpson where I'm convinced he didn't want it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

verbs wrote:
Loved hearing Matty Lappin talk before the game. Teague, I wouldn't be pushing for him to take over as senior coach from what I heard. He needs to get our forwards sorted out pronto.

Saw Mr Kreuzer at the function too and I also had a chat to the Prez.

I didn't bid on Sam Walsh's jumper. They guy who out bid me at $1500 for Cripps' last year bid $1000 for Walsh's jumper and no-one was interested in matching it.

@#$%&!, what a disaster that last minute was, but like some have said, even if we'd won it wouldn't have been anything special.

How can you coach our forward line. It's a lottery what comes into the 50. He's been good with other team's forward lines and he's the very reason McGovern came to Carlton.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

jim wrote:
verbs wrote:
Loved hearing Matty Lappin talk before the game. Teague, I wouldn't be pushing for him to take over as senior coach from what I heard. He needs to get our forwards sorted out pronto.

Saw Mr Kreuzer at the function too and I also had a chat to the Prez.

I didn't bid on Sam Walsh's jumper. They guy who out bid me at $1500 for Cripps' last year bid $1000 for Walsh's jumper and no-one was interested in matching it.

@#$%&!, what a disaster that last minute was, but like some have said, even if we'd won it wouldn't have been anything special.

How can you coach our forward line. It's a lottery what comes into the 50. He's been good with other team's forward lines and he's the very reason McGovern came to Carlton.

Levi's addition to the Harry/Charlie/Gov tall forward mix would have done the heads in of all but the defenders. Ridiculous selection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

No cohesion, link play, positive ball movement etc. I could go on.

There are definitely system and structural issues. Pressure on Bolton to correct.

Good link play normally starts from half back line. However, our backline has insufficient run and carry. Have been okay at stopping goals but need more than this.

Williamson and Doherty are huge losses. Who knows when they will return.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
for me, what's worse than the result is some of the off field stuff.

trading our number 1 pick this year for stocker & bringing in Gov ... when we were craving a small forward with some craft and explosiveness to his game. so now we go into games too top heavy -- 3 or 4 talls in this era of modern footy where possession and locking the ball into your forward 50 and starving them of an exit route is king -- is like starting every game down a man or two. Now, stocker may turn out ... but just the fact he wasn't ready to go for the start of the season is an alarm bell over someone ready made, espesh when you're talking about our number 1 pick.

also. Our gameplan is negative. Bolton talked in the presser about playing fast is not always good. how slowing it down gives your forwards time to reset. Only that isn't happening and hasn't happened in 3 years of footy.

and to me that's a very half empty philosophy to be adapting; when we need half full. slowing the game down and being methodical is robbing the players of instinct. we have a super talented list. Guys like walsh and dow and SPS are running 16km per game ... thats elite. they will have no probs running out games.

a good example is dow breaking away from the centre bounce, and then drilling a soft pass 2m over Gov's head. Dow still had an acre in front of him. you want to be giving these kids the green light, not applying the handbrake.

right there in that instance i'd much rather the coaching philosophy being: if there's a bounce there, take it, and drill it through the sticks. be brave, be bold and back yourself. you're good enough, you belong here. show the world what you can do.

where instead, they're being coached to slow it down, raise their eyes and kick to one of our many talls. which inevitably goes tits up bcos our forward line is being man marked out of the game. man mark with a spare defender in front at all times, game in game out -- bcos that's how you diffuse such a tall & slow forwardline.

as a squad, we're going to be fine. it's one of the most talented lists in the afl. the key is to nurture and grow that. i fear right now, we're actually smothering it, and taking the fun outta the game for these kids with our ultra conservative approach.

bolton is coaching like a dead man walking. we're too stiff and too scared to take the game on bcos his job is riding on results and instead we're playing conservative risk adverse football.

i'd love to see bolton just say, "fk it!!" and roll the dice and go out in a hail of bullets. bcos the irony could be, that's exactly what saves him.

Your best post ever Braithy... imo

10 seconds to go and they score a goal.... everyone was ressponsible for! Esppecially the on field leaders.

My very cool and calm 11yo screams a gutteral cry Nooooooooo, and he continues to hurt.
I was just numb. Gutted.

I dont know what to think. Couldn't face to read TC. Then I read this post. Makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

GWS wrote:
I’m as disappointed as anyone after yesterday and really would have liked us to win but four rounds in compared to last year...

2019: ave loss 17.5 points (margins 33, 16, 19, 2)
2018: ave loss 42.5 points (margins 26, 34, 24, 86)

Our average loss for the whole of last year was 48.85 points.

We could have fallen over the line yesterday but we have very few players who have played in winning sides at this level and almost zero level headed experienced leaders.

Is it any wonder they don’t yet know how to win?

The difference between last year and this one is that we’re still a chance in the last quarter. At some point we’ll win one and the confidence will build and we’ll win some more.

I agree. Can't fault the effort. Can fault the execution and confidence. I just hope the continued losses don't further erode their belief and confidence.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
Anyhow,i believe we must and can win two out of our next three games.I actually believe we can get the Dogs,North and the Hawks.................Sorry Bolts,if we cannot achieve that then a change is inevitable.

x 2.
I still believe we can avoid the spoon by finishing ahead of North however the next 3 weeks are crucial.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AFLCA Votes

10 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 Touk Miller (GCFC)
5 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
4 David Swallow (GCFC)
2 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 Brayden Fiorini (GCFC)

Leaderboard - 2019
Round 4
Votes Player Club
34 Marcus Bontempelli WB
29 Patrick Cripps CARL
26 Tim Kelly GEEL
25 Patrick Dangerfield GEEL
24 Lachlan Neale BL
23 Lachie Whitfield GWS
19 Sebastian Ross STK
18 Jeremy Cameron GWS
17 Travis Boak PORT
17 Stephen Coniglio GWS
16 Luke Shuey WCE
15 Shaun Higgins NMFC
14 Nat Fyfe FRE
13 Andrew Gaff WCE
13 Jade Gresham STK
13 Daniel Rich BL
12 Ben Cunnington NMFC
12 Scott Lycett PORT
12 Jack Macrae WB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

Braithy wrote:
Heavs wrote:
I think there should be an autocorrect for Everytime someone says we traded 2019 pick one for stocker without mentioning we probably get pick two or three back.

that's still not a good deal for us.

It's also extremely unlikely... still think the Crows will play finals

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Two match sanction for Setterfield even with an early plea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Effes wrote:

A bit harsh IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Humpers wrote:
Effes wrote:

A bit harsh IMO.

Yes one is enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

You have to take into account the anti Carlton Conspiracy loading

Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next