Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
One of the most (of many) disappointing things today was the total lack of leadership and composure from our senior players.

Murphy, Thomas, E Curnow, Simpson, Casboult - Is it any wonder our team is filled with timid, introverted kids who make poor decisions and look devoid of confidence?

The other clubs in the cellar with us have their experienced players setting the example for the next generation to follow. The final minutes in particular showed the contrast between both sides today.

Cripps, Weitering, Harry, SPS et al - You need to stop relying on these guys to lead the way, and take the @#$%&! horns yourself.

Stop with the common sense, you'll confuse people.

Although, I do think Daisy did some good things today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:
One of the most (of many) disappointing things today was the total lack of leadership and composure from our senior players.

Murphy, Thomas, E Curnow, Simpson, Casboult - Is it any wonder our team is filled with timid, introverted kids who make poor decisions and look devoid of confidence?

Thomas, I think, is showing good leadership and excellent effort.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
Even if we had got across the line it'd have been a hollow win. The brand of football we are playing is just so awful.

Best comment I have read thus far. People pointing to incidences during the game are missing the theme … yes there were many incidences but we lack method and a proper structure. In modern AFL football you need to run the ball out of the backline … this sets up several options when you eventually kick forward … our kick/mark method slows up the forward thrust leading to the inevitable kick and hope inside 50 entry.

Our defensive structure sees us covering the talls pretty good but then leaves the likes of Plowman to play on midsize quicks … Plowman is more suited to the lumbering types like a Darling. Therefore a backline of Weitering, Marchbank, Jones AND Plowman leaves us very little to run and carry the ball out of the backline. No doubt the inclusion of Docherty and Williamson would help in this area.

Our midfield looks light in body … easily pushed aside plus none can kick long with any craft. Walsh might be the exception here.

Forward line is all out of sorts … not one has an explosive lead (maybe McGovern) … we are too tall chasing the same incoming ball which draws multiple defenders to the one contest. Our smalls have no lateral speed, lack body strength and have no kicking craft … furthermore they don't have the instincts of goal poachers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

The Result today was irrelevant to me. It could have gone either way, but the overall outcome is a Disaster, because Bolton has demonsreated that he is unable to put up a game plan which puts you in a position to win comfortably.

How can any AFL team fail to score more than 60 points a game? This is not due to the players we have.... How can a team loaded with 4 big forwards in Curnow, Mckay, Mcgovern & Casboult fail to deliver a winning score, week in , week out?

It's all due to Bolt's Game plan. It is very defensive, players are scared to take the game on, no one dares to play on after a mark, very poor skills, and lack of urgency.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 am 
Laurie Kerr

No team has a reason to fear us - we just don’t score - even when we are on top we don’t capitalise.
Especially executing the overlap, or delivering into forwards.
We are not turning the ball over through an over ambitious game style, instead it’s plain goosing it up.

Hope it clicks soon to get some winning momentum, habits, and confidence in 2019.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 am 
Ken Hands

We are the Stkilda of the early 2000 who just couldn’t win. Remember Maxy crying and Rivolting.
We will come good eventually BUT this losing weak mentality is entrenched and will surface again when the heat is really on in big games. How many did Stkilda win with all that talent? I’m afraid we a [REDACTED] for good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:36 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

for me, what's worse than the result is some of the off field stuff.

trading our number 1 pick this year for stocker & bringing in Gov ... when we were craving a small forward with some craft and explosiveness to his game. so now we go into games too top heavy -- 3 or 4 talls in this era of modern footy where possession and locking the ball into your forward 50 and starving them of an exit route is king -- is like starting every game down a man or two. Now, stocker may turn out ... but just the fact he wasn't ready to go for the start of the season is an alarm bell over someone ready made, espesh when you're talking about our number 1 pick.

also. Our gameplan is negative. Bolton talked in the presser about playing fast is not always good. how slowing it down gives your forwards time to reset. Only that isn't happening and hasn't happened in 3 years of footy.

and to me that's a very half empty philosophy to be adapting; when we need half full. slowing the game down and being methodical is robbing the players of instinct. we have a super talented list. Guys like walsh and dow and SPS are running 16km per game ... thats elite. they will have no probs running out games.

a good example is dow breaking away from the centre bounce, and then drilling a soft pass 2m over Gov's head. Dow still had an acre in front of him. you want to be giving these kids the green light, not applying the handbrake.

right there in that instance i'd much rather the coaching philosophy being: if there's a bounce there, take it, and drill it through the sticks. be brave, be bold and back yourself. you're good enough, you belong here. show the world what you can do.

where instead, they're being coached to slow it down, raise their eyes and kick to one of our many talls. which inevitably goes tits up bcos our forward line is being man marked out of the game. man mark with a spare defender in front at all times, game in game out -- bcos that's how you diffuse such a tall & slow forwardline.

as a squad, we're going to be fine. it's one of the most talented lists in the afl. the key is to nurture and grow that. i fear right now, we're actually smothering it, and taking the fun outta the game for these kids with our ultra conservative approach.

bolton is coaching like a dead man walking. we're too stiff and too scared to take the game on bcos his job is riding on results and instead we're playing conservative risk adverse football.

i'd love to see bolton just say, "fk it!!" and roll the dice and go out in a hail of bullets. bcos the irony could be, that's exactly what saves him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:39 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Trigger wrote:
Glad to see the nothing has changed the usual depressing cfc pretend supporters/idiots turning up on a blog site!!
Spewing crap out of there ARSE!!

If we're going to start attacking people, perhaps we should have a rudimentary grasp of the English language first, old chap.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I think there should be an autocorrect for Everytime someone says we traded 2019 pick one for stocker without mentioning we probably get pick two or three back.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 am 
John James

Heavs wrote:
I think there should be an autocorrect for Everytime someone says we traded 2019 pick one for stocker without mentioning we probably get pick two or three back.

Why bother it's repeated ad neaseum in the medya and then it tends to become fact from there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 am 
Bruce Doull

dablues wrote:
We are the Stkilda of the early 2000 who just couldn’t win. Remember Maxy crying and Rivolting.
We will come good eventually BUT this losing weak mentality is entrenched and will surface again when the heat is really on in big games. How many did Stkilda win with all that talent? I’m afraid we a [REDACTED] for good.

Funnily enough reiwoldt was very forgiving on us on radio this morning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I’m as disappointed as anyone after yesterday and really would have liked us to win but four rounds in compared to last year...

2019: ave loss 17.5 points (margins 33, 16, 19, 2)
2018: ave loss 42.5 points (margins 26, 34, 24, 86)

Our average loss for the whole of last year was 48.85 points.

We could have fallen over the line yesterday but we have very few players who have played in winning sides at this level and almost zero level headed experienced leaders.

Is it any wonder they don’t yet know how to win?

The difference between last year and this one is that we’re still a chance in the last quarter. At some point we’ll win one and the confidence will build and we’ll win some more.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 am 
Stephen Kernahan

...and no team has scored 100 against us yet so technically no-one has beaten us yet... :razz:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Loved hearing Matty Lappin talk before the game. Teague, I wouldn't be pushing for him to take over as senior coach from what I heard. He needs to get our forwards sorted out pronto.

Saw Mr Kreuzer at the function too and I also had a chat to the Prez.

I didn't bid on Sam Walsh's jumper. They guy who out bid me at $1500 for Cripps' last year bid $1000 for Walsh's jumper and no-one was interested in matching it.

@#$%&!, what a disaster that last minute was, but like some have said, even if we'd won it wouldn't have been anything special.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Heavs wrote:

that's still not a good deal for us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Fenwick Snap wrote:
Sin City wrote:
As hard to swallow as the Ben Dixon game.

Let a golden opportunity slip, you'll pay for unforced errors at the top level.

Yep, totally reminded me of the Dixon game. At least that Hawks team were half-decent though.

Think I'm fuming even more over this result.

What a waste.

A handful of players need a character test before they're allowed to play next week (okay, maybe not, but it sure feels like it). Some have poise, some don't.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think as Crippa said the trouble came in the 3rd. We had made the Suns doubt themselves and I was sure we had them
Then a series of misses and fumbles let them back in. It turned the game back in their favour because their confidence came back.
Then their was the Jone mark that wasn't paid...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 am 
Ken Hunter

verbs wrote:

@#$%&!, what a disaster that last minute was, but like some have said, even if we'd won it wouldn't have been anything special.

Unless it turns out that it would have been our only win for the year.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:30 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
for me, what's worse than the result is some of the off field stuff.

trading our number 1 pick this year for stocker & bringing in Gov ... when we were craving a small forward with some craft and explosiveness to his game. so now we go into games too top heavy -- 3 or 4 talls in this era of modern footy where possession and locking the ball into your forward 50 and starving them of an exit route is king -- is like starting every game down a man or two. Now, stocker may turn out ... but just the fact he wasn't ready to go for the start of the season is an alarm bell over someone ready made, espesh when you're talking about our number 1 pick.

also. Our gameplan is negative. Bolton talked in the presser about playing fast is not always good. how slowing it down gives your forwards time to reset. Only that isn't happening and hasn't happened in 3 years of footy.

and to me that's a very half empty philosophy to be adapting; when we need half full. slowing the game down and being methodical is robbing the players of instinct. we have a super talented list. Guys like walsh and dow and SPS are running 16km per game ... thats elite. they will have no probs running out games.

a good example is dow breaking away from the centre bounce, and then drilling a soft pass 2m over Gov's head. Dow still had an acre in front of him. you want to be giving these kids the green light, not applying the handbrake.

right there in that instance i'd much rather the coaching philosophy being: if there's a bounce there, take it, and drill it through the sticks. be brave, be bold and back yourself. you're good enough, you belong here. show the world what you can do.

where instead, they're being coached to slow it down, raise their eyes and kick to one of our many talls. which inevitably goes tits up bcos our forward line is being man marked out of the game. man mark with a spare defender in front at all times, game in game out -- bcos that's how you diffuse such a tall & slow forwardline.

as a squad, we're going to be fine. it's one of the most talented lists in the afl. the key is to nurture and grow that. i fear right now, we're actually smothering it, and taking the fun outta the game for these kids with our ultra conservative approach.

bolton is coaching like a dead man walking. we're too stiff and too scared to take the game on bcos his job is riding on results and instead we're playing conservative risk adverse football.

i'd love to see bolton just say, "fk it!!" and roll the dice and go out in a hail of bullets. bcos the irony could be, that's exactly what saves him.

The slow play very often results in turnovers.
The fast and free usually results in goals.
:thumbsup:
Plus...so exciting to watch.
Of course sometimes slowing down is warranted, but not as the main plan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:30 am 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:
I’m as disappointed as anyone after yesterday and really would have liked us to win but four rounds in compared to last year...

2019: ave loss 17.5 points (margins 33, 16, 19, 2)
2018: ave loss 42.5 points (margins 26, 34, 24, 86)

Our average loss for the whole of last year was 48.85 points.

We could have fallen over the line yesterday but we have very few players who have played in winning sides at this level and almost zero level headed experienced leaders.

Is it any wonder they don’t yet know how to win?

The difference between last year and this one is that we’re still a chance in the last quarter. At some point we’ll win one and the confidence will build and we’ll win some more.

Last year against the GC we had a younger side than yesterday's, while theirs was almost exactly the same.

Last year we won by 6 goals.

What else have you got?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:32 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Heavs wrote:

I'm hopeful that we might finish above North and end of giving pick #2 to the Crows. I doubt we will get a top 3 pick in return however am now confident it will be in the top 10 (prior to father/son or academy selections :mad: :mad: )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next